PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

LibertyTreeGal
11-18-2007, 03:12 PM
I occasionally see posts where people are exceedingly unhappy that this or that attraction is down, so much so that they think their entire vacation is ruined. Well, this never made much sense to me and I was wondering if I was the only one who wouldn't cancel my vacation even if every D and E ticket ride was down. Heck, I'd go just to walk the streets and listen to the music and chat with the CM's :cloud9: and eat lots and lots from the Main Street bakery....

btharvey
11-18-2007, 03:47 PM
The last time we visited WDW, there were a couple of sites that were being renovated ... so what? oh well, another reason to come back sooner!

I think that folks who react that strongly are merely showing the temperment of the times ... instant satisfaction, instant gratification, instant irritation, instant hatred, instant joy, instant depression.

Pity they didn't learn some patience along the way. And tolerance.

wedway76
11-18-2007, 03:59 PM
I think that folks who react that strongly are merely showing the temperment of the times ... instant satisfaction, instant gratification, instant irritation, instant hatred, instant joy, instant depression.

It's sad to say but I am one of these people. In general I am not a very nice person. :mad: That is EXCEPT when it comes to vacation, especially WDW vacations.

I NEVER plan an agenda. Except for holidays, I never even make dinner reservations.We have a rough idea of the order that we usually do things but we pretty much roll with the punches. If something is closed no problem. We'll be back soon enough. :thumbsup:

RedheadWriter
11-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I LOVE to just wander and take my time and enjoy all of the atmosphere. You are right. If no rides were open, I'd still go just to walk through my favorite place in the world!
Rachel :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
11-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Well, I don't know if I would go to Disney World if every major attraction was down--I still like to get the most out of those expensive tickets! :)

I don't mind if a couple of the attractions are down, but I have had the advantage of going there many times and know that I will again in the future. For some families out there, a trip to Disney World may be a once (or twice) in a lifetime deal, and for them I could understand how one of the most popular rides being close would be a major disappointment.

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-18-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't mind if a couple of the attractions are down, but I have had the advantage of going there many times and know that I will again in the future. For some families out there, a trip to Disney World may be a once (or twice) in a lifetime deal, and for them I could understand how one of the most popular rides being close would be a major disappointment.

I would tend to agree...if it is a once in a lifetime trip and several of the attractions you really really want to see are closed, it would be a huge letdown and I could understand the need to vent.
However if you are someone like us that has been there many times and this trip one of your favorites is down, take it in stride, have an extra Mickey bar and chill out.
It still beats the heck out of being in the "real" world...:mickey:

LoriMistress
11-18-2007, 04:26 PM
During August, September, and October Disney did close down several attractions/rides to refurbish them. Though, the majority of them are still working well--though EE does have it's moments but it's working as of today. Right now it's in A mode--not sure how long that will last though.

mttafire
11-18-2007, 04:31 PM
I occasionally see posts where people are exceedingly unhappy that this or that attraction is down, so much so that they think their entire vacation is ruined. Well, this never made much sense to me and I was wondering if I was the only one who wouldn't cancel my vacation even if every D and E ticket ride was down. Heck, I'd go just to walk the streets and listen to the music and chat with the CM's :cloud9: and eat lots and lots from the Main Street bakery....
I agree with you 100%
Sadly, Some folks are born to WHINE.
We ALL know some of them. They are NEVER satisfied and are a victim of something..
Ok, Done venting.:blush:
I too just simply love to be there!!! No matter what.
Shawn

merlinmagic4
11-18-2007, 04:40 PM
No, it doesn't bother me! We'll even happily skip a ride if the line is too long, we're too tired, etc. However, I do agree that it has something to do with the knowledge that we will be back again. Whatever we miss, we hit the next time!

poeticeclipse
11-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Personally, I don't get that upset if some of the bigger attractions are down. For my husbands first visit, Pirates was getting updated and he didn't get to see the one attraction that he waited years to see. After he realized how wonderful the other attractions were, he didn't mind so much and he did end up getting to see Pirates the next year. It happens and it's just something you have to deal with.

Followthatmouse
11-18-2007, 04:59 PM
I would never cancel a trip due to a ride being closed, even if it was a never-miss favorite.

I may be slightly disappointed, but, as others have pointed out, we are spoiled for choice as WDW. Some of the nicest times have been reserved for people-watching, window shopping and finding quiet corners and out-of-the-way places in each park. There is always a parade, building detail or a new ride to enjoy. Oh, heck, go and grab some ice cream and watch the World go by!

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-18-2007, 05:30 PM
No, I would never cancel my trips to any Disney park but I do have to say that there are certain rides I can't do without...thankfully I never had to skip my favorite rides because they were operating :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
11-18-2007, 05:37 PM
If every major attraction was down?? If that were to happen I think Disney would have to be in real financial trouble and it would mean everybody had stopped going so its not a scenario I can imagine.

I understand why people who don't go frequently may be disappointed but the chances are Disney will be rehabing something all the time so its something one has to expect. There were two major ones down when we were there in Octover (BTMRR and SSE) and the trip was just fine. I'd never cancel a trip because of a rehab or two.

LandFan
11-18-2007, 05:47 PM
I don't even have to BE there to be giddy - I am giddy the moment I leave the house to go on the trip!! I could probably stay in MCO and be just fine!:D

Ian
11-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Well, I'm not going to go as far as saying that I'd go if every major attraction was down, but yeah ... I don't get that worked up about rides being down for rehab.

BUT ... and this is a big but ... that's because I go 3, 4, or even 5 times a year. Plus, I've been on these attractions 1,000 times each and missing one on a given trip actually helps to a degree because it gives back a bit of the "WOW" factor for me.

That being said, I think it's a bit harsh to call people "whiners" because they might get upset that a favorite ride is down during their vacation. I think some of us forget that a Disney trip only happens very infrequently for a large portion of the population. And for those people, yeah ... I can understand being very upset if Haunted Mansion or Pirates or whatever your favorite is is going to be down.

I also think that some of the folks here who are so quick to judge others as "whiners" might want to stop and consider that they themselves might actually be the whiners.

I get pretty sick of folks who can't accept negative comments of any sort about Disney.

LibertyTreeGal
11-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I get pretty sick of folks who can't accept negative comments of any sort about Disney.

I don't think any of those hang around the Dining forum :D -- seems like a lot of us have been a bit ticked off at Disney over the course of the past year.

Of course, my comment about all of the D & E ticket rides being down was tongue in cheek, and I doubt if my children would happily walk around without some complaining, but I was just trying to make a point that, well.... WOW, WDW isn't like any other amusement park. I wouldn't even bother going to a six flags if the attractions were down. There is just absolutely so much to see and do that even if it is a once in a life time trip it is still an awesome place to be -- and for the record, I've never read a post from a "once in a lifetime" person complaining, it't usually from someone who goes a whole lot more often than I do.

So, I just don't understand the level of disappointment, that's all. But then, when Andy was born with all his challenges I had a crash course in what is devastatingly important and what is just mildly annoying. :blush: Ten years ago, all sorts of things made me angry, now it all seems so ridiculous -- what was I thinking!?

Deesdisney
11-18-2007, 06:55 PM
I do not care if the attraction is closed. There is enough to see and do. That makes me want to come back sooner. However I feel sorry for my dd. She has never been on Splash Mountain and yet again it looks like she will miss it again in Jan. Everytime we go it is closed for one reason or another. I keep telling her "I guess we will have to come back" and she gets a really big smile.

dolphinmickey9170
11-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Atmosphere is great for me, I would never cancel my trip!!

24 more days!

Victor Kelly
11-18-2007, 07:22 PM
I would never cancel a trip because a certain attraction was down. I'd gripe about it for a few minutes sure, but in the end it is nothing that would mean an unhappy ending to a vacation nor would be an occassion to cancel a trip.

mikelynn91
11-18-2007, 07:27 PM
During August, September, and October Disney did close down several attractions/rides to refurbish them. Though, the majority of them are still working well--though EE does have it's moments but it's working as of today. Right now it's in A mode--not sure how long that will last though.

:mickey:How can anyone be sad at WDW? What a blessing to be there! I did miss Rockin Roller Coaster in September though!

mttafire
11-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Well, I'm not going to go as far as saying that I'd go if every major attraction was down, but yeah ... I don't get that worked up about rides being down for rehab.

BUT ... and this is a big but ... that's because I go 3, 4, or even 5 times a year. Plus, I've been on these attractions 1,000 times each and missing one on a given trip actually helps to a degree because it gives back a bit of the "WOW" factor for me.

That being said, I think it's a bit harsh to call people "whiners" because they might get upset that a favorite ride is down during their vacation. I think some of us forget that a Disney trip only happens very infrequently for a large portion of the population. And for those people, yeah ... I can understand being very upset if Haunted Mansion or Pirates or whatever your favorite is is going to be down.

I also think that some of the folks here who are so quick to judge others as "whiners" might want to stop and consider that they themselves might actually be the whiners.

I just guess i have a much more appreciative mind set than some. I dont take ANYTHING for granted. Yes, It DOES amaze me that a few folks can find ANYTHING to whine about concerning Disney. Im not saying there isnt times when a complaint is warranted. Its just a difference of perspective, No need to get sick..Ian
Also, We only go once every 2-3 years. We arent one of those folks you mentioned that go a few times per year.
Shawn

mickey001
11-18-2007, 08:33 PM
the atmosphere is one of the best parts at magic kingdom!!!

SpecJoe Magic
11-19-2007, 04:58 AM
Two of our favorite attractions, Spaceship Earth and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, were under refurbishment during our last visit. We had a great time anyway because we enjoyed what was open while giving very little thought to what was closed. Having said that, I must admit that the fact that I've been to WDW at least once every year since 1981 has a lot to do with my tolerance for closed attractions. I can understand why the people that don't get to go often are upset by closed attractions.

brdavis
11-19-2007, 08:44 AM
It's interesting - I seem to have a slightly different take on this. I'm amazingly lucky, in that my family & I do get down to WDW just about annually. Personally, I don't get upset when my plans are changed by a refurb or breakdown - but I'd have the same attitude if it was a once-in-a-lifetime event, in fact more so. The reason is that if this is a truly rare and special event, I'm going to enjoy it to the maximum... and that means appreciating the things I have, not being upset by the things I missed. In short, if I'm paying that much and spending that much time, I generally don't spend it being upset my might-have-beens. It seems like a waste of time (hey, I can do that at home).

'Course, I'm the nitwit who when it rains at WDW, is happy because (1) I get to dance in the rain, and (2) it means shorter lines for my family. So I might not be the most rational person to judge by.

big blue and hairy
11-19-2007, 10:00 AM
I would never cancel a trip because a certain attraction was down. I'd gripe about it for a few minutes sure, but in the end it is nothing that would mean an unhappy ending to a vacation nor would be an occassion to cancel a trip.

Bear in mind that this may be exactly what some folks are doing, griping for a few minutes to blow off steam, then go enjoy their vacation. It is in print so it lasts longer and you can't read emotion in wordes most of the time.

Sure, there are some people who get completely bent out of shape, but I'm sure not all of them do...

:sulley:

airb330
11-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I do mind if rides are down. Not if there is some emergency repairs or anything. If a rehab is being done on a ride I like, I simply won't go during that time. Splash Mtn is my favorite and I want to take my grandparents on it. I saw it was closed in January, so now I am going in late February instead. :thumbsup:

dumbo ears
11-19-2007, 10:47 AM
i agree with you. the last time I went down spaceship earth and big thunder railroad were down. These are 2 of my favorite rides at WDW and i was okay with not doing these. I like to just walk around and look and listen.

EJS-Houston
11-19-2007, 10:50 AM

I was just there a little over a week ago, and the crowds were such that I didn't get to do Test Trak and Spaceship Earth was closed for renovations. Not a big deal. Like you I enjoy just exploring some of the less flashy attractions...especially the International Showcase at EPCOT and all the backlots at Disney Studios. And I'll be back, after all.

Tygger7
11-19-2007, 10:56 AM

As someone who only gets to go to WDW roughly once every 2-4 years, I'd like to chime in. Would I cancel a vacation because several main attractions are down: No. Would I be extremely disappointed: Yes.

For example, we're going in May 2008. I'm holding my breath hoping that Space Mountain doesn't go down for rehab because it's my daughter's favorite ride, and we're bringing her best friend with us that's NEVER had a vacation before, let alone a Disney vacation. This may be the only chance this little girl gets to go to WDW (at least until she's grown & has a family of her own), and I'm hoping that she can experience everything while we're there. But will I "whine" or cancel the trip if Space Mountain is closed: No...we'll just be a little bummed because it will be another 2-4 years before we can get back to WDW again.

magicman
11-19-2007, 11:06 AM
I'd probably sock Marty Moose in the nose & break into the attractions that were down.:D

Honestly, I do love the ambience of the parks, BUT EVERY MAJOR ATTRACTION down. Yes, I would be upset, and I think most people would be a bit unhappy.

Also, I do believe the customer has the right to have very high expectations, and yes even whine if they feel slighted. The customer pays a lot for their WDW vacation, and deserves to have the majority of the rides open.

Lastly, folks do have to expect a few ride renovations & refurbs on every trip. Otherwise, the park would be outdated & poorly maintained. The Rusty Scupper once gave a bit of philosophy that was pretty good. It was something like, "In every life a little refurb must fall." I thought those were wise words from our INTERCOTEE with an unexplainable affinity for numbered bullets.;)

btharvey
11-19-2007, 11:55 AM

I agree with you here ... and I also agree with a prior message that talked about those folks who make that once-in-a-lifetime visit and don't know where to look up whether things are working and have been told about this one ride (Carousel of Progress for example ... OK, go ahead and laugh! :) ... Horizons, then!) and then find out it's gone, or down, or whatever. If that was the main reason for making this trip, saving up this money, I'd be upset as well. But i don't think I would vent on a discussion board -- to the people who go all the time (at least, by comparison). Maybe I'd vent to the company.

Disney is first and foremost a company, in business to make a profit. That they do it in a manner that brings pleasure to those strange and wonderful in us who like their stuff is just a bonus! They make bad decisions, stupid decisions (Disney PC, for example, and killing Disney Adventures magazine), as well as the inconvenient decisions. Ah well. Sure complain, but rants aren't necessary.

They aren't even necessary to rant against the ranters. And, no, this isn't a rant ... merely an educated suggestion! ;)

Ian
11-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I thought those were wise words from our INTERCOTEE with an unexplainable affinity for numbered bullets.;):rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Marker
11-19-2007, 06:34 PM
I thought those were wise words from our INTERCOTEE with an unexplainable affinity for numbered bullets.;)

1. That's
2. funny. :D

I agree. A couple rides and attractions being closed, or changed, does not ruin my WDW experience. Actually, sometimes it prompts to try something new, or something I haven't experienced in a long time.

There are too many real issues in life to get "angry" over. A theme park ride being closed is WAY down the list in my book.

Disney is first and foremost a company, in business to make a profit. That they do it in a manner that brings pleasure to those strange and wonderful in us who like their stuff is just a bonus! They make bad decisions, stupid decisions (Disney PC, for example, and killing Disney Adventures magazine), as well as the inconvenient decisions.

AMEN!!!!! :thumbsup:

For me anyway, it's not that someone has negative comments, it's the veracity with which they present the negative comments, as though that is the ONLY reasonable opinion, and it's their job to convince of that or that any other opinion is by default "stupid". I welcome the opinions and thoughts of others, go right ahead, let me know about their experience and opinion. But they don't need to don't invalidate my opinion and my experiences. They don't need to try so hard to convince me how wrong I am, and how right they are. And they really don't need to try to sell it as the worst possible thing ever in the history of the world.

Everyone has their own experience and viewpoint. It's those on the extremes that I sometimes find aggravating. No doubt, not everything at WDW is wonderful. LIkewise not everything is wrong either. And it can sometimes see as though some folks never have anything good to say, and often seem to be reaching in their attempt to be negative. And we don't need to be "offended" because someone has a different opinion.

It's just not in me to allow something such as that to actually make me "angry" or to allow it to totally ruin my trip. I guess I'm just a "roll with it" kind of guy. But that's just me, and that is just as valid as any other attitude. In September, I was disappointed that Rockin' Roller Coaster and Spaceship Earth were down, but I still had a GREAT time.

And I doubt anyone would like the alternative. That being if they NEVER did any rehab on the rides and attractions.

Obviously, this is just my own opinion.

Tink#64
11-20-2007, 12:35 AM
As someone who only gets to go to WDW roughly once every 2-4 years, I'd like to chime in. Would I cancel a vacation because several main attractions are down: No. Would I be extremely disappointed: Yes.
But will I "whine" or cancel the trip if Space Mountain is closed: No...we'll just be a little bummed because it will be another 2-4 years before we can get back to WDW again.
I agree completely. For those that live relatively close and have the good fortune to visit WDW frequently, I'm sure it's not a big deal. But some of us are disappointed when our fav's are closed. I was really bummed that POTC was going to be closed for refurb during our trip last year. Would I have canceled for this - NEVER! I knew it was going to be closed long before our trip. But I did check POTC each time we were in MK just to be sure!:blush: We didn't visit in '07 & that's the attraction that DH is most looking forward to for our '08 trip!

I know I would have a harder time with it if the attraction that was going to be closed was one of my DS's fav's. We always want our kids to be happy, even when we know they can handle the disappointment.

I've never vented on here about something being closed, but I've checked the updates frequently, just hoping that the attraction would reopen early!

When I am planning these trips I always have such ideas of what I'd like for our family & it can be very sad to have saved & planned, only to find out that it can't all happen. We all deal with it, but I can understand the disappointment (but not to the extreme of cancelling?). But we're all individuals, with our own thoughts & feelings & can't say that everyone should feel the same way.:mickey:

Sweezy
11-20-2007, 04:28 AM
throughout the 30+ trips ive made in my 21 years, it has never ceased to disappoint me when one of my favorite attractions is down...im quite sure that this is natural. I would be even more upset if i only visited quite rarely...so i really do feel for some of the people that have issues with certain situations. for one, i am upset that the spaceship earth rehab is taking so much longer than planned...i understand that things need to be fixed up and taken down for awhile, but its unfortunate that the original dates given were nowhere near reality. im not saying that i would cancel a trip over one ride being closed, or that i blame disney necessarily, but you do have to admit that its at least upsetting on some level as a fan of certain rides/disney in general.

MarkC
11-20-2007, 09:44 AM
I too am disappointed when a favorite ride is down. However, what is Disney's alternative? Let every ride go into disrepair and then have to shut down the entire park for a month? That would only make them need to increase prices more and ruin vacation plans for a lot of people. As for the people who only visit Disney that "once in a lifetime", they are probably not on this board. Some people unfortunately like to complain about everything, i.e. "how could they close that ride during MY vacation? Do it during someone else's vacation, not mine." For anyone who runs a business (not me) they know there are tough decisions that need to be made. It's just that some of us are too self-centered and self-absorbed to realize it's not all about me. Our family is fortunate to go roughly once a year and I always appreciate that fact, knowing that most people will never go and the ones that do will mostly go only once. It's too bad they have to complain about the blessings they have. It's always easy to look at the 10% above us and be jealous, but so hard to look at the 90% less fortunate and then appreciate what we have. OK, enough of my soapbox, but get a life people.

2Epcot
11-20-2007, 10:05 AM
I've been to WDW several times, but I would consider myself one who doesn't get to the World very often. I can't see myself canceling a trip if one or more of my favorite attractions were down. I think I would try my best to make sure my favorites were not being refurbished, but even that isn't always a guarantee.

I think I had to go to MGM 3 days in a row once when I was trying to see WDW's Fantasmic for the first time just to catch the show, it kept getting canceled each night due to winds. Most attractions that temporarily go down will be up at some point during a visit, but it isn't always easy to get back to a park on a certain day.

I don't complain, I'm just happy to be there. Though if every major attraction were down, I think I'd stay in town and go to Disneyland.

jrpersinger
11-20-2007, 10:41 AM
The first time I took my girls to WDW, I was alittle disappointed. I had them all hyped up about Its a Small World and when we got there, it was down for re-furb. Our trip to Disney was a very last min trip. DH was coming in for RnR from Iraq and said he didn't want to spend it anywhere else on earth. So I didn't even bother looking up what was going to be down. We were going regardless. Was I sad my kiddos didn't get to ride ITSW, sure. But did it ruin our trip. No way! We had a blast.

This past trip, 14 of us went. My mom and step-dad took all the kids and grandkids on their buck. My step-dad, who had never been to WDW, really wanted to be able to ride Haunted Mansion. But alas... it was down. He said he guessed that meant he would just have to make another trip. LOL ;)

This trip, if rumors are right, Space Mountain is going to be down. Its one of the only rides my oldest DD didn't get to ride. And she was really looking forward to getting to ride it this time. She gave alittle stomp when I told her it might be down, then she looked at me and said oh well, guess that gives us more time to ride other stuff.

I really don't think I would be mad if anything was down. Sad, yes. But not mad. And maybe feel like something was missing....

TheRustyScupper
11-20-2007, 12:04 PM
1) What I think is worse are the room complainers.
2) They say their whole vacation is spoiled.
3) Simply because they didn't get the room or view they requested.
4) Silly
5) Frankly, a ride or two or a room view doesn't make/break my vacation.

NOTE: I overheard one lady complaining and whining and almost crying that the entire vacation was ruined because they didn't get an MK Fireworks view from their room. The husband kept telling her to get-over-it, but she just kept going on, and on, and on.

ThanxForNoticin
11-20-2007, 12:29 PM
We do Disney as often as possible because those vacations are special, relaxing, and very memorable. We love it there and have enjoyed some wonderful trips.

Unfortunately, some folks expect "perfection" and only set themselves up for disappointment when they can't get it.

mttafire
11-20-2007, 01:17 PM
1) What I think is worse are the room complainers.
2) They say their whole vacation is spoiled.
3) Simply because they didn't get the room or view they requested.
4) Silly
5) Frankly, a ride or two or a room view doesn't make/break my vacation.

NOTE: I overheard one lady complaining and whining and almost crying that the entire vacation was ruined because they didn't get an MK Fireworks view from their room. The husband kept telling her to get-over-it, but she just kept going on, and on, and on.
Well stated.
It wasnt my intent to label All folks who complain as "whiners" it WAS my intent to say that for the MOST part..IMHO, Complaints are not warranted. It just seems that in these days we live in not only Disney related but ANYWHERE more folks just seem to like to complain. I certainly understand a complaint when it IS legit. Im only 37 but in my life ive found that there are MANY more things in life to worry about than an attraction being closed or a room not being just perfect.
Sorry if my "whiner" comment didnt come out right.
Shawn

offwego
11-20-2007, 02:45 PM
I'll agree that it's not worth canceling a trip..but if people didn't discuss the impact it has I may not change my plans in advance and that can impact my trip.

(case in point MGM is my DH's fave park and we normally plan a fair bit of time there..with RNR down and the construction and other things we downgraded the number of days here which if people hadn't mentioned the impact it had to them I wouldn't have done)

That discussion made a good impact on mine so I look at it from that way not the all whoa is me view point.

PirateLover
11-20-2007, 03:05 PM
I don't complain when something is being rehabbed (example: Why do they have to do it now, they should do it this time or that time or only at night blah blah blah), but I will vent about my frustrations and disappointments. I am of the age where I now have to pay for all my vacations because I go without my parents. I'm lucky to still live under their roof which allows me to save even though I don't have a full time job. We are driving down this trip because airfare has hit astronomical rates, and after this trip I'm not sure when we'll be back. One of the things I was very excited about for this trip was seeing the Spaceship Earth re-hab. When I found out it was delayed I was really bummed out because it is my favorite ride in Epcot and maybe my 2nd or 3rd favorite ride in the whole world. My boyfriend and I ride it up to 6x per trip and I'm really exited to see it fixed. However we were lucky in that we caught the old HM right before it went down on our last trip, and we caught old SE too. Now we will be able to see the new HM, Castle Lights, and I'm sure we will have a great time despite the fact I'll be sad when I walk past SE.

I think most people do end up having a great trip but I don't have a problem with people being upset when refurbs are first announced.

Ian
11-20-2007, 03:50 PM
However, what is Disney's alternative? Let every ride go into disrepair and then have to shut down the entire park for a month?I had to laugh ... I got a Wally World vibe when I read this!

Sorry, folks! We're closed for two weeks to clean and repair America's favorite family fun park! Sorry!

Victor Kelly
11-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Ian, you forgot the laugh

OOhu, OOhu, OOhu ( I think that is right, hard to right a laugh.:mickey:

Some stuff that can actually ruin a vacation.
1. Hurricane
2. Terrorist attacks on the US.
3. Zombies
4. Asteroid or comet impacting the planet. This can be averted by Bruce Willis though.

As for rides shutting down: been there when some of my favorites were shut down, I got over it and saw them the next trip.

A room: You want to talk about a vacation almost being shot in the depts of hades flames?:thedolls: Try this, we got to our hotel off property in 05 only to be told they had overbooked and gave our room away. This was 1am folks. Florida in Spring Break means rooms are scarce to say the least. We rode around for hours trying to find a room, any room. We eventually found one that was a filth pit, but we got to stay. And even though I was bed ridden sick that trip, we still got to do stuff. The trip was shot to heck, yes. The trip stunk, yes. But it was real things that made that impact. Not a ride being down or a bad view from a room.

More on the rooms: I never spend more time there than to sleep, take a shower and shave, then go right back out the door at 7am the next day. It does not have to be luxurious, a room to me is never worth more than $50 a night cuz we run so much down there in Florida.

jenperich
11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
I absolutely agree with you. We're leaving on Saturday and I recently found out that SSE would not be open when we are there. That is one of my most favorite rides in the whole world. But, I figured, there are so many other things to do, and I just want to be there. I don't care if I just sat and people watched. It's the best feeling in the world just being there. :-)

Marilyn Michetti
11-20-2007, 04:26 PM
:pout:Let a closure bother me????? NAH !! The fact that I started wetting the bed when they did away with Timekeeper, was pure co-incidence.

I'll be fine. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.:cry:

EPCOT84
11-20-2007, 04:35 PM
For many it may be once-in-a-lifetime. For those that go frequently, remember kids are only that age once in their life and by the time they are able to get back, the kids may have outgrown the age where the parents wanted that special experience.

Parents are challenged to schedule vacation time and when they finally can take vacations, it may not be when they'd like.

So when they start to plan, they check the Intercot boards, the Disney site, and learn certain rides will be down and in frustration, they rant on these boards and even cancel out. Parents seem to be more obsessed now than before because time is precious.

A Disney trip is a major commitment of time and money so they will get frustrated. Yes, there are folks that will never be pleased. But for those that can get beyond that, learn from the experiences of your fellow Intercotees - learn to enjoy the atmosphere of the parks. Learn to realize it is a grand place to take the family and enjoy being together !!

Jasper
11-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Ok, for any of those people who want to complain that their favorite attraction is down or that they didn't get the room they wanted I will trade them places!! I am going to have my sixth back surgery in December which means the trip we had planned for January is off.

Also, because of my back problems I have been unable to work since May of 2006. Not being able to work means we had to save our tax refunds from the last 3 years to be able to afford this trip in January. Now, instead, we will be spending that money on my medical bills. Once this surgery is done there is no guarantee that I will be able to go back to work. That means we may NEVER be able to go back to WDW.

I don't share those things because I want sympathy or anything like that. I merely say it to get people to get over themselves and realize that a closed ride or different room is not that big of a deal in the bigger scheme of things!!

Ok, I will get off my soapbox now!:soapbox:

mttafire
11-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Ok, for any of those people who want to complain that their favorite attraction is down or that they didn't get the room they wanted I will trade them places!! I am going to have my sixth back surgery in December which means the trip we had planned for January is off.

Also, because of my back problems I have been unable to work since May of 2006. Not being able to work means we had to save our tax refunds from the last 3 years to be able to afford this trip in January. Now, instead, we will be spending that money on my medical bills. Once this surgery is done there is no guarantee that I will be able to go back to work. That means we may NEVER be able to go back to WDW.

I don't share those things because I want sympathy or anything like that. I merely say it to get people to get over themselves and realize that a closed ride or different room is not that big of a deal in the bigger scheme of things!!

Ok, I will get off my soapbox now!:soapbox:
Amen brother!:thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
11-21-2007, 09:57 AM

For once, Dahling, I agree with you. Well said.
I go a few times a year. Would a cancelled ride keep me from going? Heavens, NO. Will I be extremely disappointed if a ride is down while I'm there, and miss it? Of course! And I'll howl about it a little, though I think "vent" might be a stronger word than I need. ..I want Disney to keep improving and maintaining the World....I do have a life, and I enjoy every minute that I'm in the Magic.

crazeedizneefinatic
11-21-2007, 03:23 PM
I would never cancel a vacation because of something being shut down. I have been there plenty of times when things were being redone. Now for the HM refurb I did use a bit of planning around that, it is my favorite attraction. Whinning and crying about something being down is silly. If you are so dead set on seeing something PLAN around it. Especially if you don't go so often. Planning is key. Disney gives far enough advance warning of refurbs and closings and does a pretty good job at keeping us informed as does Intercot!

I think the "whiners" and "complainers" are those who think Disney is a "fairytale" dream. They expect a red carpet roll out on their vacation. Yes Disney is magical but not perfect. Everyone all the time can not be catered to or given every wish imaginable. Disney employs real people who also have bad days and bad attitueds. (Now in general all the CM's I have dealt with have been wonderful but I have met some who well to put it nicely have been less than "magical".) Do I get upset, yes of course, as anyone would even if you get bad service anywhere. Do I complain, on 1 occassion yes. Do I let it ruin my vacation heck no! Disney is our favorite place to vacation!

Mackflava99
11-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Sometimes we get too carried away trying to hit the popular items and miss others. I take the fact something is closed as an opportunity to see other things. There is so much to see anyway, I really never feel ripped off at all.
Never ever...

pook@wdw
11-24-2007, 06:04 PM
AMEN, SISTER!! :thumbsup: I will NEVER be disappointed @ WDW no matter how many refurbs are going on. It's inevitable that there will always be an attraction, being made better, cleaner, safer, etc... That's as it should be and that's why WDW is in a class by itself!!:mickey::mickey:

Here we go again...
11-24-2007, 07:03 PM
:pout:Let a closure bother me????? NAH !! The fact that I started wetting the bed when they did away with Timekeeper, was pure co-incidence.

I'll be fine. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.:cry:

:funny::funny::funny:

Ian, you forgot the laugh

OOhu, OOhu, OOhu ( I think that is right, hard to right a laugh.:mickey:

Some stuff that can actually ruin a vacation.
1. Hurricane
2. Terrorist attacks on the US.
3. Zombies
4. Asteroid or comet impacting the planet. This can be averted by Bruce Willis though.

#1 a hurricane? A hurricane never stopped us from having a good time! As a matter of fact they just clear the parks out for us so we can go play. ;)
Now if I saw Zombies... that might make me complain a little.

I would never, ever cancel a trip... for any reason. If the rides or attractions are down, oh well. That just gives me a reason to have to plan another trip! :cloud9:

#1disneyfan
11-24-2007, 07:08 PM
I don't mind when attractions are down. I get a little bummed if it is a favorite of ours, but it gives me something to look forward to on our next visit. When we were there in July, HM was closed and TT was down while we were in Epcot. Two of my favorites I get to see on our trip next August!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Cancel a trip for a ride closure?? No way. ;)
It just gets us planning our next trip a little sooner.

Seriously, we love our trips to WDW. We are fortunate to go every year. Yes, it is the magic of Disney we love but, more importantly it is the memories and moments we are making with our kids.

So...we had to miss SE in September. The kids were a little disapointed, since they are only 10,7 and 4 but, that quickly went away when they saw Mickey at the Character Connection!

Its about the whole experience for us. The rides are just a bonus. :cloud9:

battle beast
11-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Heck, I went once and Splash, Space and Pirates were all down! What a bummer! But I still loved my trip. Just to be there... :thumbsup:

DizNee143
11-27-2007, 09:11 AM
i would never cancel my trip over rides being down..heck...when i finally got my fiance to go to disney last year...i told him all about test track..because he is a huge car buff..and i figured this could be something to look forward too...ya what was the one ride closed when we went?? you got it test track..it happens..
there always seems to be at least one ride down no matter when i go...you just gotta go with it..theres nothing you can do about it..be happy everything else is working and dont dwell on the one ride in all of disney world that is down!!

brownie
11-27-2007, 09:46 AM
I can understand being upset, especially if it's a once in a lifetime kind of trip; not everyone goes to Disney World every year or every couple of years. Should it ruin the trip, probably not. Depends on why you're going though. If you "success" means going on a certain attraction, and that attraction is closed, that might "ruin" the once in a lifetime trip.

Personally, I go to have fun and try to plan around closures of my favorite rides. Am I disappointed if an attraction is closed that I want to go on? Yes! Does it ruin my trip? No way!

Roger Rabbit 89
11-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm one of the people who don't get to go several times a year or every year. We went in Sept\Oct 2006, and will probably not get back until Oct 2008.

Having said that, when we went we had a great time. My wife was 7 and 1\2 pregnant and we didn't ride a lot of rides because she couldn't. We planned ahead to know what she could and couldn't ride, and what the kids could ride. We missed a lot of the E rides, but we had fun on what we did see. We were just happy to be on vacation and soak in the atmosphere.

So, missing out on rides really wasn't that big of a deal to us, because we knew we were going to miss out on them. I would have loved to ride SM, but my wife couldn't so none of us rode it.

Sometimes you just have to take what is given you and make the best of it. With our work & school schedules DW and I barely get to see each other. We were lucky to be able to have kids, due to complications. So, we were glad just to be there and to be together.

Michael

Samtastic
11-27-2007, 10:45 AM
First off, I'm totally confused about A, D, and E rides? I guess I'm a newb.

Secondly, I understand why someone could be upset a ride or rides is closed during their trip down there. Should it ruin it? No. But they have a right to be a little upset, especially if it was unforseen (i.e. was supposed to be open when they planned the trip). Everyone has a right to complain a little...isn't that what we're all doing now? Yes Disney is magical but not a perfect place, but people also can save a lot of money to come and can only go a few times in their life, but even if someone goes every 3 years, 6 years in between an attraction can seem like a long time.
Are there more important things in the world to be upset about? Of course! (Jasper I know you didn't ask for but my heart goes out to you). But there are even bigger things than Disneyworld (Please don't kick me off the boards for this!) The truth is there's always something bigger out there, but does that mean when the smaller things happen do we don't get to be upset? When people try to comfort me by telling how it could be worse, it often makes me more upset because I feel stupid and shallow for not being able to gain perspective. It is often hard to do in the moment. As long as you eventually do, what's wrong with that?

I don't see what's wrong with being a shoulder to cry on or vent to, when someone is upset, even if it's over something trivial. We've all done it.

That being said, would I cancel my trip over a few rides being closed? No! I'm still going down in Jan, when all those things are being refurbed. Now, would I change the dates to when more should be open? If I could, I might.

MNNHFLTX
11-27-2007, 11:06 AM
First off, I'm totally confused about A, D, and E rides? I guess I'm a newb.The reference goes back to the 1970's when Disney World sold graded tickets for attractions. "A" tickets were for the tamest rides and so on up to "D" and "E" tickets, which were for the more elaborate and popular rides. A lot of people still refer to the major attractions as "E ticket rides".

I still have a couple of old E tickets left over from a trip when I was a kid. :)

LudwigVonDrake
11-27-2007, 02:36 PM
I missed Haunted Mansion last July but it makes me want to go back that much sooner :smickey: So to answer your question, I'd still go!!! :wave:

Imagineer1981
11-27-2007, 03:07 PM
just gives you an excuse to go back:mickey::thumbsup::mickey:

Spaceship Tigger
11-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Like some others have said, I think it's way too harsh to be crticizing anyone because they're upset that they're favorite rides are down. I think most people here realize that Disney hasn't done anything malicious to them and that the rehabs must be done, but that doesn't always make it better. People travel long ways and spend lots of money for their favorite rides, and to tell them to 'get over it' isn't exactly kind. One thing WDW certainly needs to do better is to announce the rehabs a bit further in advance. One or two months prior just doesn't give people time to prepare.

I never would have thought that the closure of a couple of rides would have affected us as much as it did. But I would say that our absolute favorite top three rides are SE, ToT, and RnRC. Of course SE was down in September, and we were forced to dream of riding it every time we walked in or out of the park. That was more than a little depressing. Then with RnRC closed (quite unexpectantly, I might add), that not only was another ride off the list, but crowds were increased at the ToT giving us fewer rides there as well. Honestly, if I had to do it all over again I think I would have cancelled the trip and rescheduled for a time in early 2008 when our favorites would actually be open again.

So rehabs can really change a family's vacation, and not always for the better. And saying that it's something to look forward to next time is difficult to say when you can't go every year like a lot of people can.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-29-2007, 08:31 AM
I live in Holland (as if you hadn't noticed from my name ;)) and for me travelling to WDW takes a lot of time and money. There are only very expensive flights that go straight to Orlando but I can't afford those so I always have to transfer at another city. The longest that took was about 22 hours, flying from Amsterdam to Detroit and then to Orlando.

This means that there are a few things that should be operational, but it doesn't have to be all of them..if only a couple or even one of my favorite rides is operating I will go to WDW. If Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, Peter Pan's Flight, Muppetvision 3d and the Great Movie Ride AND It's a Small World are all being refurbished (seems almost impossible right?), I won't go..but as long as one of them is operating, I will be there :mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
11-29-2007, 08:37 AM

Just what I was going to say:mickey:

magicman
11-29-2007, 11:49 AM

In looking back at the OP, I do agree that there would be a lot to do still; however, I do think my vacation would be a disappointment if ALL the D & E tickets were down. Imagine seeing ALL of the following rides closed on your vacation:
Kilimanjaro Safaris, Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids, It's Tough to be a Bug, Expedition Everest, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Star Tours, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain,
Jungle Cruise, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Mickey's Philharmagic, Test Track, Mission: Space, Soarin'. I think MOST people would be disappointed at the least.

Goes4FastPass
11-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Walt Disney World is a 365 day attraction so I expect periodic refurbs and attraction breakdowns - but I expect most of what I'm paying for to be provided.

When I walk down Main Street USA I feel like a child but many posters on this topic seem to feel like Uncle Walt has given them a happy place to run and play and they should be thankful for what they've been given. I certainly think this is the way our KIDS should feel about a Disney vacation but unlike those of you who have eyes full of pixie dust, I remember I'm a customer of a publicly traded company and I can't even walk in room at a Disney Resort unless I pay in full in advance.

So many people seem to be anxious to answer every "Thank you for your patience." with "okiedokie" because, "I'm thankful to be able to visit the happiest place on earth." Try saying "Thank you for your patience." When a CM asks you for your credit card.

If you paid for HDDR and the performance was cancelled would you expect a refund or would you consider your payment a donation to help Mickey buy Minnie a new hat?

I've never been to WDW when at least one favorite attraction of mine wasn't available and it never "ruined" my vacation but I would not pay the thousands of dollars a WDW vacation costs to walk down Main Street.

Mary M
11-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Even Disneyworld isn't exempt from the First Noble Truth.

:thumbsup:

Goes4FastPass
11-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Even Disneyworld isn't exempt from the First Noble Truth.

:thumbsup:OK, I'll play. What's the First Noble Truth?

"People with credit cards buy more stuff than people who pay cash."

?

magicman
11-29-2007, 02:24 PM
OK, I'll play. What's the First Noble Truth?

"People with credit cards buy more stuff than people who pay cash."

?

I think it is either:
(1) Man is destined to suffer
or
(2) A rolling stone gets the worm.

It's one of the two.

Goes4FastPass
11-29-2007, 02:35 PM
When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Always let your concious be your guide.

All FastPasses for this attraction have been distributed.

If you wear a Dalmation coat in the rain you're going to smell like a dog.

Today's Disney Channel star is tomorrow's rehab repeater.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-29-2007, 02:43 PM
All sales are FINAL :D

magicman
11-29-2007, 02:57 PM
When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Always let your concious be your guide.

All FastPasses for this attraction have been distributed.

If you wear a Dalmation coat in the rain you're going to smell like a dog.

Today's Disney Channel star is tomorrow's rehab repeater.

Your reply drew an actual out loud laugh. Thank you.

Mackflava99
11-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Imagine seeing ALL of the following rides closed on your vacation:
Kilimanjaro Safaris, Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids, It's Tough to be a Bug, Expedition Everest, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Star Tours, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain,
Jungle Cruise, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Mickey's Philharmagic, Test Track, Mission: Space, Soarin'. I think MOST people would be disappointed at the least.

This may me laugh almost as much as "Spoon full of Sugar"
I would guess if ALL these rides were closed, then it might be less than fullfilling. But my assumption is that Disney would do something to compensate- ie. Tons of extra characters roaming the streets, triple parades, 24 hours of fireworks, or Seven Dwarves tag team wrestling. I doubt they would feel right letting people walk around aimlessly looking at all the closed rides.
i guess its possible, if all the operators went on strike, or their was an electrical outage, it could happen.

texasteacher
11-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Most rational people would understand that, just like our house cannot take a constant flow of guests but must shut down occasionally for cleaning, etc. so must a Disney ride!
I am going in Dec and will miss one of my faves, SSE, but I know that I will catch it next trip and enjoy the renovations!

4ubie1
11-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Last time I went..several rides were being renovated and some even were shutdown..for reasons I know not :shrug: but I just told myself.."This just means I will have to come back sooner." I will admit I was disappointed but I would still go to WDW. Just being there is :cloud9:

amd780
12-02-2007, 02:16 PM
While I am very disappointed that 2 of my favorite attractions will be down in January (SSE and American Adventure), I would never postpone my trip or otherwise let this ruin it. There's so much else to see and do in WDW. Closures or not, I'm still excited to go! :D:cloud9::mickey: