PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm a believer

KAT1811
11-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Okay I've always said that I didn't think that the deluxe resorts were worth the extra $$$ but after our most recent trip I've changed my mind. I still am not sold on the out of the way deluxe resorts but the ones on the monerail line now have my vote!!! We went to WDW with our three girls (10, 2 1/2, and 10 months) and about 10 other people and stayed at Coronado Springs, now I still LOVE CS but with three kids we would have killed to have the monerail line!!! We will never again (until the little ones are much older and maybe not even then) stay at a resort not connected to the monerail. We spend most of our time in MK and Epcot so it would have been perfect, plus we like to dine at the monerail hotels as well. I'm so looking forward to our next vacation, now I just have to convince DH that the Poly is the way to go instead of the GF.

wedway76
11-17-2007, 08:48 PM
We stayed at the Contemporary once for 5 days and if I could afford it I would definitely stay at the other Deluxes. We usually stay at Values from 10 to 12 days, and while the Contemporary was great, I hated having to leave after just 5 days. I felt rushed, and we weren’t able to take our time and enjoy the experience like we do on our 12 day trips.

I definitely think the Deluxes are worth the money! I just wish I had the money :D

mttafire
11-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Ive always said: If you can afford it, You CANNOT beat the Deluxes at Disney.:mickey::thumbsup:

mcb0420
11-18-2007, 06:28 AM
We are considering a deluxe for our next trip, as we will have done all the moderates and I like a change of scenery. My concern about the monorail resorts is that it would feel like the constant presense of people in a rush, like at the parks. One thing I have really enjoyed about the mods (always during value season) is the relaxed atomsphere once returning from the parks. No children in tow, would a monorail resort be a mistake?

LibertyTreeGal
11-18-2007, 07:48 AM
My concern about the monorail resorts is that it would feel like the constant presense of people in a rush, like at the parks.

The only resort I ever feel "rushed" at is the Contemporary, partially because of the Chef Mickey's crowd and partially just due to the modernized atmosphere. The Poly is super relaxing and feels very secluded to me :)

wdw_bound
11-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Warning: once you stay at a deluxe, you will fall in love :mickey: We didn't even have to stay in one for this to be true for our family - we just visited to see the WL lobby and we were hooked.

I've not stayed at a monorail resort, but would agree that with little ones, the convenience factor would be huge. GF doesn't appeal to us though - we've visited several times, and it just didn't strike us as "kid friendly," more like we were visiting Aunt Mary's house, where you hold your breath the whole time in case the kids break something. So, if you are going without kids, I think it would be perfect - very quiet and restful.

I would like to stay at the Poly, but DH isn't quite sold yet. Hmm, we're talking about a Mommy and Me trip next year for my birthday, maybe that would be the time to try it out...

garymacd
11-18-2007, 12:44 PM
We also love WL, but we can't get enough of POFQ. both have their advantages and disadvantages - well the disadvantages for WL are relative.

Yes: the monorail ride from GF, Poly and CR is great and the boat ride to MK from WL is wonderful, with another boat ride to CR to get to the monorail. It is a short ride to MK and Epcot, which is great. Unfortunately, the proximity to MK means that it is a L-O-N-G ride to DTD, AK, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach.

Most of the moderate resorts are centrally located so the bus ride to anywhere is about the same.

So, the theming is great, the monorail is great, the bus ride is not so great for the monorail and deluxe resorts.

For the moderates, the theming is still great, there is no monorail, the buses are okay and better in some cases, and you save hundreds of dollars for your trip.

You are all right: I would spend the money for the deluxe.

pugslave
11-18-2007, 01:00 PM
I laughed out loud when I read your post. That is SOOO us! We bought into the DVC because I just couldn't handle not staying in a deluxe! Staying on the monorail line is a huge bonus, and also our home resort is BWV so walking to Epcot and MGW (or whatever they call it now!) is a beautiful thing! I'm glad you had such a great time - Only 12 more days for me!

c&d
11-19-2007, 09:51 AM
OK, I think I'm the only person who doesn't get the monorail thing. When we go to Disney being on the line doesn't really matter to us. We enjoy the bus and boat rides we take to get to the parks.

Maybe it's because we have always had the worst luck with them. They've broken down, they've been packed, they haven't shown up. I remember once we were at the GF and I went to the MK to do some quick shopping, I had 45 min to get back to the GF and I almost didn't make it back in time. I was standing there seeing the hotel and I couldn't get there.

As I said it must be the monorail gods are against me.:D

illini
11-20-2007, 12:01 AM
I can help you out on the Poly thing. DH was very skeptical about staying there, even after we checked in (he was still mumbling something about how much it was costing). Then when he realized that our room was about a 5 minute walk to the TTC to hop the Epcot monorail, he was sold. The GF, you have to take two monorails to get to Epcot, but not so the Poly. It was wonderful. Three different times we jaunted over to Epcot for a couple of hours. It wouldn't have been so possible staying at the GF or CR.

DisneyGiant
11-23-2007, 01:13 PM
I always recommend the Contemporary for those folks with toddlers and babies. You tend to spend the most of your time at MK - and you can walk back to the Contemporary if you have to ...... kids need nap, or a change of clothing... And once in your room - you are not aware of the Chef Mickey crowd at all.

I'm sure Poly would be nice also - but I've yet to stay there to personally recommend it.

To me Grand Flo is nice to visit, but I have no desire to stay there....

We've been staying at the Boardwalk\Beach Club since the kids have gotten older..... to us, can't beat walking into Epcot!!!

Jasper
11-23-2007, 01:38 PM
I am also one that is not that sold on the monorail resorts. We stayed there a couple of times when our kids were really little and because we really spend so much time at each of the parks there was no real advantage to being on the rail. Now as far as amenities and theming go sure they are great at the monorail resorts but they are also great at the non monorail resorts as well.

In the end we have been staying at the value resorts because we simply don't use any of the extras at the higher priced resorts and are able to convert the saved cash into more lengthy stays.

vamaggie
11-23-2007, 04:21 PM
We are considering a deluxe for our next trip, as we will have done all the moderates and I like a change of scenery. My concern about the monorail resorts is that it would feel like the constant presense of people in a rush, like at the parks. One thing I have really enjoyed about the mods (always during value season) is the relaxed atomsphere once returning from the parks. No children in tow, would a monorail resort be a mistake?

Can't speak to the GF or CR but we were at the Poly earlier this month and it did not feel rushed at all. If you didn't know the monorail was outside, you wouldn't have known. No one was rushing and the amount of people did not seem an issue at all. The grounds are so peaceful (at Disney no less!) and lush it was very relaxing! Even w/o kids I would think it would be where we want to stay.

KAT1811
11-23-2007, 09:49 PM
I am also one that is not that sold on the monorail resorts. We stayed there a couple of times when our kids were really little and because we really spend so much time at each of the parks there was no real advantage to being on the rail. Now as far as amenities and theming go sure they are great at the monorail resorts but they are also great at the non monorail resorts as well.

In the end we have been staying at the value resorts because we simply don't use any of the extras at the higher priced resorts and are able to convert the saved cash into more lengthy stays.

That was me to a T but now that we have the three girls and the younger two have their limits and sometimes need a break because we go for so long (usually about 2 weeks give or take a couple of days). On this last trip our youngest cut two new teeth while we where there and spiked a 101* temperature in Epcot (it was insanely hot for Sept and the humidity was off the charts so that added to it). I would have killed to be staying in a monerail resort; if we weren't traveling with 10 other people I would have switched resorts in the middle of the trip no matter what the cost! I agree the extra $$$ is nice but for us with the little ones ease is the name of the game for now no matter what the expense.

SBETigg
11-23-2007, 10:19 PM
I've been hooked on monorail deluxes since we moved from off-site to the Contemporary on my first visit in '81. The convenience of being so close to the MK and the monorail to Epcot, avoiding buses for more than half the trip, and the sheer joy of waking withing sight of the MK just puts it right up there as a must for us.

We stayed at POR once and it was lovely, but we ached to be back on the monorail and that trip just wasn't the same for us. I know where we need to be. The GF is home to us. The Polynesian is the favorite for our kids.