PDA

View Full Version : What kind of crowds can we expect?

plutogal27
11-15-2007, 08:53 PM
We'll be in the world from 2/10/08-2/17/08. Turns out there's some kind of builder's conference during that week. This added with Daytona 500, Valentine's Day, and President's Day has me a little concerned.

We have always gone in September when the crowds are very light. Can anyone tell me what to expect? This will be the first time going with our DD....she'll be turning one while we are there. We have ADRs for only the night of Valentine's. Should I book more? We were hoping to kind of play it by ear because we'll be there with our baby.

TIA!!

Lady
11-15-2007, 09:22 PM
We were there at the same time frame the last 2 years. The first part of your trip should be light to moderate crowds. In 2006, we didn't experience a very big crowd for the weekend but in 2007, WOW-we couldn't figure out what was going on. People were everywhere and the waits exceeded 45-60min. even during extra magic hours and it was cold!! We aren't going this year but I hope you luck out with a light crowd.

dml
11-15-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm from New Orleans and I was in WDW in February of this year during our Mardi Gras holidays. I believe President's Day also fell during that week. It was a pretty crowded week. It is a popular time for the locals here to take the trip because our schools are closed for a week. I don't think President's Day is during the same week as Mardi Gras in 2008 because Mardi Gras is very early next year - I think it is on February 5 so you will probably just miss the New Orleanians escaping Mardi Gras crowds. They will probably be leaving when you are arriving. Regardless the crowds, you'll have a good time its WDW.

:mickey::mickey:

MsMin
11-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Mardi Gras is early this year so the crowds should be leaving by the time you get there. Hopefully it will be a lull. I know LSU is closed on the 4th and 5th. I see you are arriving on a Sunday and that's always a great day to start b/c most are leaving.
Best of luck....

2girlsmom
11-16-2007, 07:10 AM
We've been there the same week you're going a few times - in 2005 and in 2007. Based on our experience, you can expect light crowds the beginning of the week, but as you get closer to President's Day weekend, the crowds will increase. This past February we were in the MK on the Saturday of Pres Day Weekend (previously that was our departure day) and we were shocked at the lines for attractions and food (lines were out the door for Pecos Bill Cafe). As a result, we're going the first week in February this year in hopes of lighter crowds for the entire week.

faline
11-16-2007, 07:18 AM
All the reasons you've cited do increase crowds at that time of year.

As others have noted, crowds will be lighter at the beginning of your trip but will increase dramatically by the end. It's good you have reservations for Valentine's Day. When we were there for Valentine's Day, there were many unhappy people being turned away from the restaurant we were dining at. In fact, they were being told that there were no table service establishments with any availability that evening. People were being pointed to counter service locations.

If you have your heart set on any particular dining opportunites, I'd suggest making reservations for those locations!

plutogal27
11-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! It does ease my mind a bit. We already have the mindset that we will be doing this trip at a much slower pace because of our DD. Who knows, we might just enjoy ourselves more. I've always wanted to hunt for hidden mickeys, now I'll get my chance. :thumbsup:

We've made ADRs at Crystal Palace for DD's birthday breakfast....she's a morning person and gets crankier as the day goes on....so for this reason we decided breakfast would be best. We also made an early ADR at Citricos for V-day.

We're going with the grandparents, so the extra help will be nice.

Thanks again!!!

faline
11-16-2007, 09:20 AM
We also made an early ADR at Citricos for V-day.

That's where we ate when we were there over Valentine's Day! We had a lovely dinner and i was presented with a rose by our server.

Do plan on it being a slow dinner. The restaurant was booked to capacity and everyone had trouble keepng up. The chef even came around to apologize for the long waits between courses. It didn't bother us as we were settled in to enjoy ourselves.

plutogal27
11-16-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm really excited about dining there. I've heard great things about it, but we've never eaten there before. I'm hoping Allie will cooperate with us. Thankfully, her grandparents will be joining us on this trip and the extra help will be nice.