PDA

View Full Version : Trading Spaces CANCELLED

NotaGeek
11-15-2007, 07:18 PM
From Variety:

TLC is giving "Trading Spaces" an extreme makeover -- bringing back former host Paige Davis and enlisting the brains behind "Hell's Kitchen" to revive a show that was once a ratings powerhouse on cable.
A. Smith & Co. has replaced current "Trading" production shingle Banyan Prods. as producers of the home redecorating format, which TLC plans to relaunch as early as January. Move, along with TLC's recent purchase of the Miss America franchise, is part of a major overhaul of the net being planned by new prexy-G.M. Angela Shapiro-Mathes.

Davis left the show two years ago. Her departure -- along with a glut of copycat cable makeover shows -- led to declining ratings for "Spaces," which at its zenith was the No. 1 cable show on Saturday nights. One episode even drew 9 million viewers, outdrawing the major broadcast nets.

Shapiro-Mathes said reviving "Spaces" has been a priority since she started at the net earlier this year.

"When you say TLC to anybody, 'Trading Spaces' is still the show most people connect with (the network), because it was so huge," she said.

Exec compared TLC's handling of the franchise to ABC's decision to maximize exposure for "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" when that quizzer was red-hot. Cabler tried a variety of brand extensions for "Spaces" and aired it frequently -- just as rival nets sent in the clones.

"It was no longer unique, it didn't have a clean format and it didn't have a host that said 'Trading Spaces' to the audience," Shapiro-Mathes said.

Shapiro-Mathes said her new senior VP of programming, Brant Pinvidic, suggested going after Davis, a move that led to bringing in A. Smith & Co. -- and parting ways with Banyan.

"They did an incredible job keeping the show on the air for so long," she said, adding that TLC is working with Banyan on other projects.

As for A. Smith & Co., Shapiro-Mathes said the shingle has "the sensibility and the experience" to put a new spin on "Spaces."

Skein will maintain much of its original format. Two teams will still perform makeovers on the other's rooms, with a budget of $1,000.

"The big difference will be in the casting," exec producer Arthur Smith said. "People want to be more vested in the people they're seeing. The couples may not be next-door neighbors all the time."

Indeed, Smith -- who will exec produce with Kent Weed and Frank Sinton -- said the show might now focus on a divorced couple or dueling mothers-in-law.

"You might have a little more conflict and drama than you had before," Weed said.

That doesn't mean Davis will start calling people donkeys or cursing them out, a la "Hell's Kitchen" chef Gordon Ramsay.

"We want to protect the things that made the show popular in the first place," Smith said. "It'll still be heartwarming."

In addition to Davis, a number of designers are returning to the skein, including Doug Wilson, Laurie Hickson-Smith, Frank Bielec and Hildi Santo-Thomas.

"This feels like a great big reunion," Davis said.

After leaving "Spaces," Davis inked a development deal with King World Television (now CBS Paramount) and returned to her theater roots, starring in "Chicago" and "Sweet Charity."

ChipnDaleGal
11-15-2007, 08:26 PM
I quit watching when they got rid of Paige, and I was addicted to the show for a long time while she was on. I will check it out again and see if any of the old magic is there again. I hope it is a good thing for Paige.

IloveDisney71
11-15-2007, 09:01 PM
My whole family was addicted to Trading Spaces when Paige was on. It just wasn't the same when she left and we slowly stopped watching it. I hope they don't get too carried away with the "drama"(fighting mother-in-laws, etc). I liked it simple and fun. I'm glad they're bringing her back!

Ian
11-15-2007, 09:39 PM
This is just one of those odd coincidences ...

Just this past Sunday night we were watching some house show and I asked DW, "What ever happened to Paige Davis?"

Now I know! :number1:

ibrowse17
11-15-2007, 09:51 PM
I quit watching when she left also, so it will be nice to have her back. Glad to see them making things right:thumbsup:

SBETigg
11-15-2007, 09:57 PM
I stopped watching when they dropped Paige. It really irked me. I'm excited she's coming back and will probably watch again. She really makes the show work for me. The hostless format was a big bust.

TheDuckRocks
11-16-2007, 11:18 AM
This is just one of those odd coincidences ...

Just this past Sunday night we were watching some house show and I asked DW, "What ever happened to Paige Davis?"

Now I know! :number1:

WOW! Are you sure you weren't at our house this past week-end? My hubby just asked me the same question and I had to give him a lame "I think she's doing something in theater".

So glad to see Paige coming back. We only watched one time after the change and have not been interested in TS since.

I'm also happy to see Frank will be back........that's who our Frank The Cat was named after.:cat: If you've ever had a chance to hear his back story he is a very remarkable man.

c&d
11-16-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm glad Paige is coming back, I stopped watching shortly after she left.

I'm not sure I need "the drama," divorced couples, MILs etc. I liked the show the way it was, sometimes everyone was happy and other times they weren't, that was enough drama for me.

goofysbabe
11-16-2007, 03:05 PM
:yay::joy::high5::woohoo::clappy: Paige is back - now I can start watching again! I just love her & Frank! Hildie is a hoot.

alphamommy
11-16-2007, 07:26 PM
HURRAY!!!!:clappy:

Like many others, we quit watching around the time Paige left the show. They started messing around with the format, too, and we didn't like it.

I hope they return to something similar to the original - I've really missed watching!

Tammy

conorsmom2000
11-16-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm happy to hear that!! :thumbsup: I also quit watching it when they got rid of Paige - actually, I was wondering if Trading Spaces was still even on because I never heard anything about it! I'll definitely have to check it out again! :D

Earnhardt321
11-19-2007, 03:50 PM
I like most others quit watching after Paige left. I tuned in a few times to the show after she left but it just wasn't the same.
I hope this will help the show. I will tune in again especially if it goes the way it sounds!

Diznee4Me
11-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Another :thumbsup:for Paige's return. We also quit the show after she left - there just wasn't any spark there. Hopefully she will rejuvenate the show and make it popular again.

BriarRose0708
11-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I too stopped watching when Paige was ousted, and now I can't wait to start watching again! Yay!

Jasper
11-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Wow, what an overwhelming response!! I wondered what others would think of this and now I know. Oh, and I do agree with all the positive comments about bringing Paige back to the show!!!

So, one thing I have never been clear about; did she chose to leave the show or did the show dump her? And the next obvious question is; what was her/the show's reason for making the change. Yes, I know what she went on to do, but I am just wondering why the decision was made in the first place-inquiring minds want to know!! (I just love that old school tag line.)

BriarRose0708
11-26-2007, 01:21 PM
So, one thing I have never been clear about; did she chose to leave the show or did the show dump her? And the next obvious question is; what was her/the show's reason for making the change. Yes, I know what she went on to do, but I am just wondering why the decision was made in the first place-inquiring minds want to know!! (I just love that old school tag line.)

I remember reading an article in Entertainment Weekly or TV Guide (can't remember) that outlined the resons for Paige's departure. From what I know TLC (or in this case, Banyan Productions) wanted to go in a different direction and their vision of the "new and improved" Trading Spaces didn't involve a host, so they gave Paige the boot. They wanted to focus on the homeowners more, and I suppose they thought the host detracted from that. But it turned out the designers and carpenters took over most of what Paige used to do anyway. I think this was also when they added the "secret room" that had $2000 budgets and added about 3 new designers (who I thought were all :ack:). I'm actually surprised Paige agreed to come back, especially after being asked to leave in the first place.

pixiesmimi
12-01-2007, 10:45 PM
I loved this show and stopped watching when Paige left and they changed the format and it became the Hildy/Doug show. It lost its spark. But if they revive it with Paige, I will probably go back to watching it. I always wondered if it was her idea to leave. I have seen her in several other shows and excerpts from some of her Broadway shows but think she makes a better design host. I just have a hard time picturing her singing and dancing. She is a hoot though. I will go back to watching the new one to see what has been changed.

fairies*n*fireflies
12-03-2007, 12:28 PM
I loved Trading Spaces when Paige was on there. I HATE the format that they have now and only watch when there is nothing else on to watch. I wish that they would bring Vern back. He and Lori are my favorites! I love their style. I actually got to meet him in Atlanta and get my picture taken with him a few years ago! I was so excited.

:thumbsup: to bringing Paige back!

dolphinmickey9170
12-06-2007, 07:48 PM
I stopped watching because of her leaving. I will surely be back to watching again!! Yeah Paige!

Not2Loud
12-06-2007, 09:27 PM
We watched it for a while...but then I just got tired of it. I will check it out though when they get the old gang back...to bad they can't get Ty back ;)

NotaGeek
01-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Season Premier January 26 10pm EST!

PirateLover
01-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Is Frank still one of the designers? I loved his personality and sense of humor.

NotaGeek
01-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Is Frank still one of the designers? I loved his personality and sense of humor.

I checked the Official Trading Spaces Crew Website (http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/tradingspaces/meet-the-crew/meet-the-crew.html) that I found on Google for you, and he's listed. TLC doesn't have a very good list of info IMO since no where on their site do they even announce that Paige Davis is back next weekend ... even though they have a HUGE commercial running on TLC presently. Weird.

PirateLover
01-20-2008, 02:29 AM
I checked the Official Trading Spaces Crew Website (http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/tradingspaces/meet-the-crew/meet-the-crew.html) that I found on Google for you, and he's listed. TLC doesn't have a very good list of info IMO since no where on their site do they even announce that Paige Davis is back next weekend ... even though they have a HUGE commercial running on TLC presently. Weird.

Thanks Michael! You prompted me to google it myself and I'm a bit bummed that I only recognize 3 of the designers... however I haven't watched new shows in a few years. I catch replays a lot on discovery home but they are always with Paige.

monkeycity
01-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Yay for Paige!!! But just one question: What ever happened to Edward? His were the most elegant rooms I'd ever seen!

PirateLover
01-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Yay for Paige!!! But just one question: What ever happened to Edward? His were the most elegant rooms I'd ever seen!

Oh my gosh I forgot about Edward! I used to love his designs too. Doug had some good designs as well. Looks like Hildi is gone though. I think in all the years I watched that show, I only ended up liking two of her designs.

NotaGeek
01-22-2008, 12:38 AM
I found this on the New York Daily News.com:

Paige Davis might be on the verge of getting something many want, but few actually enjoy - vindication.

She wants vindication for being dumped - badly - as the host of "Trading Spaces" in 2005. And oddly, she might just get that satisfaction on "Trading Spaces," where she returns as host Saturday at 10 p.m. on TLC.

"It's not something I ever would have considered," Davis told the Daily News during a break in production Friday. "My departure was very bad; it was a decision I didn't understand, why it had been made. I didn't understand why it was done in a harsh manner. I was pretty hurt by the people who were running TLC at the time."

Back then, Davis' departure was announced by TLC in a statement that said they wanted to take "Trading Spaces" in a "new creative direction" and that it would go hostless.

Ratings disappeared faster than a basket of Snickers bars at a picnic for "Biggest Loser" candidates. Once the hottest show on TLC and the touchpoint for interest in a new wave of how-to shows, the reconfigured, hostless, "Trading Spaces" became an also-ran.

"It took me a few months to come to terms with it," Davis said of the firing. "I'd like to say it was just another career blip, but it wasn't. I had dedicated so much of myself that wasn't in my job description. I took it a little harder than warranted. But it came out of left field and was done in a relatively brutal way."

She was lured back by a new management team at TLC and by the fact that the show is now produced by a different company. More important, all involved were determined to return the show to its original format: a couple of designers redoing one room in homes of friends, with Davis as the host.

"They said, 'We want to give you the opportunity to make that show gain, to bring it back,'" Davis said.

"They don't feel 'Trading Spaces' had run its course," she said. "They feel it was run into the ground."

In the three years she's been away, Davis has worked to develop programs with King World and CBS, and returned to the theater world she loved.

Once back on the "Trading Spaces" job, Davis said it felt like she hadn't left. Some of the same on-camera people are still around. And they've returned to some of the staples of the original, such as the music and use of overhead cameras to document the changes.

That sits well with Davis, too.

"Now that whole time period becomes just another part of the journey, rather than the end," she said. "I'm getting to rewrite the end of my book. [Being fired] was just a chapter. After shooting the first episode of the new season that hit me very strongly: how healthy it was to come back and do it again."

Figgyluv03
01-22-2008, 12:51 PM
As long as Frank and Genivive come back along with Paige, I'm good. If those two come back, then I guess I can live without Ty. Maybe Carter can do it. He's a hottie!

NotaGeek
01-27-2008, 03:39 AM
Um, so :thumbsup::thumbsup: for Paige ... but I almost cried when Hilde appeared. UGH. And of course I hated her room ... the walls were SO tacky and all the circles were totally splotchy and gross and the corners didn't match up ... an OCD nightmare. I suppose at least there were no chicken feathers or straw glued to the wall.

Doug's room was OK, but a water bed? Where in the heck does one BUY a water bed in 2008? It was a weird combo and since he did have to work with a WATER bed ...

ChipnDaleGal
01-27-2008, 06:42 AM
I haven't watched the episode yet, but it figures that my two least favorite designers are up first. Oh well, I won't let them taint my Paige joy. :D

PirateLover
01-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Um, so :thumbsup::thumbsup: for Paige ... but I almost cried when Hilde appeared. UGH. And of course I hated her room ... the walls were SO tacky and all the circles were totally splotchy and gross and the corners didn't match up ... an OCD nightmare. I suppose at least there were no chicken feathers or straw glued to the wall.

:ack: I know! I guess I spoke too soon earlier in the thread. The rest of the room wasn't terrible but the circles were BAD! I mean she could've got the same effect by just painting it or something. But no, she had to NAIL rubber circles to the walls!
And while I agree with her that your office should be separate from your bedroom, I don't think she should've moved the TV out. Almost everyone watches TV in their rooms and she didn't even leave a place for it if they wanted to bring it back in. I don't get designers like Hilde. She's not the one who's going to be living in the room. After she's done with her crazy ideas she gets to leave but these people have to look at it day after day, or else pay to fix it. (Thankfully they got that $500 gift card!)

NotaGeek
01-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Well, I am one of those rare people that have no TV in my bedroom. I sleep there, so no TV allowed or I will just stay up all night and watch TV ... I can't relax and fall asleep with the TV on ... I need it dark and quiet with just the whiz of my ceiling fan.

It disgusts me that Hilde is SO self serving in her design on the show and that the people working with her don't stand up for their friends and say, "I am NOT nailing 1200 rubber circles to the wall, under any circumstances. NO WAY." For the record, if ANY of you guys on here Trade Spaces with me, I will hold you 100% responsible to NOT let Hilde ruin my house. :)

PirateLover
01-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Well, I am one of those rare people that have no TV in my bedroom. I sleep there, so no TV allowed or I will just stay up all night and watch TV ... I can't relax and fall asleep with the TV on ... I need it dark and quiet with just the whiz of my ceiling fan.

I'm the same way, but I don't have the discipline to take the tv out. Plus I live with family still so if they are watching something I don't want to watch I have my backup TV. I know that the experts say your room should be your sleep sanctuary, nothing else- That's why I agreed with taking the desk out, as it's a step in the right direction. But I would've left the TV, or maybe came up with a way to hide it.

If I was trading spaces and they told me Hilde was in my house I think I would cry. The only design I can remember liking was a kitchen she did once. She's painted pictures of herself on walls, glued hay and moss onto walls, stapled flower heads to bathroom walls (seriously the bathroom? Hello mildew!)
I wonder if they brought Kia back. She's another crazy one. She did that room that looked like a grave site... yuck!

pixiesmimi
01-28-2008, 12:26 AM
I really liked what Paige said last night about coming back to the show. She didn't mince words about bringing it back to the original. Good for her!:thumbsup:

As soon as I saw that it was Hildy and Doug, I said "OH, NO!" I really was hoping they wouldn't bring them back. They are two of my least favorite. I won't even say designers because I don't call what Hildy does designing. Doug's isn't that bad but I still don't like him. He paints black rooms. UGG!

I didn't really like Paige's hair last night but I guess it is just because it is so different from before. I guess it will grow on me.

I don't think the girl liked her room at all and I bet the rings came down immediately. Her bed wasn't so bad but the rest was horrible. You could see it in her face. I have a feeling we are going to see some strange reactions this year from the commercials. And that guy breaking the rules and going to his house last night, they should have just thrown him out and not finished his room after that. He didn't look like he was in to it anyway.

alphamommy
01-28-2008, 11:58 AM
I haven't watched the new one yet, but I'm disappointed to hear that Hilde is back. There were very few of her rooms that I liked. I thought the straw-on-the-walls room was ridiculous (I think one of the kids had severe allergies - what is wrong with that woman?). I also remember a kitchen where she glued zillions of wine bottle labels to the walls...and the homeowners didn't approve of drinking!

I think Frank is back, which is great. I also liked Vern, but I don't think he's coming back. If we ever did the show, I always said I'd want Frank to do my house, and I'd want to work with Vern.

pixiesmimi
02-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Is anyone else not so impressed with this season? I was glad to see the show and Paige were back, but so far I haven't been very impressed with the projects. It just seems like the show is shorter and they don't show them doing as much in the houses. I don't know if it was my TV or if anyone else noticed how light the picture was last night. I could barely see what color they were putting on the wall in the mother's house and it just seemed like the color on the whole film was really off. Was it just me or did anyone else notice? The incident with Frank at the last was not what it was built up to be. I really thought something catastrophic had happened, not just not getting the doors on. Hello! This has happened before and it was no big deal. They made it sound like it was going to be the end of the world. At least the rooms were better than last week, but I just wasn't impressed. I lost interest about half way through the show. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to bring this back afterall. Hoping this will get better. :(

NotaGeek
02-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Hmmm. The color looked fine on my television ... just out of curiosity do you have an older TV or does your area not have digital cable?

I do agree with you ... this season still feels like something is just off. It's weird.

pixiesmimi
02-04-2008, 10:10 AM
No, we do have a newer TV and digital cable. Nothing else on that night looked like this. Just this show. It was almost like there was too much light in the filming and everything had a light glare. It got better before the end of the show but was real weird. I'm not saying it couldn't be our cable, heaven knows we do have trouble with it, but nothing else on that channel looked like that the rest of the night. I like Frank and Laurie (Lorrie?) but was real disppointed in their work this time. Hope it gets better.

PirateLover
02-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I didn't notice color differences but I have to say that I really am not a fan of the "forced drama." The episodes so far have had a gimmick. Ex husband and brother trades with ex wife and new husband. Daughter and husband trade with mom and brother who she thinks mom loves more. The original formula was great, it's annoying that they are still trying to tweak it. Also I think Paige hasn't quite hit her groove yet (granted this week she was sick).

ChipnDaleGal
02-04-2008, 04:39 PM
I liked the old format better as well, with two sets of neighbors, not the little mini drama situations of the first two episodes. I think one of my problems is that the carpenters are boring. Ty was always so much fun, and I always liked Amy too. Those two guys last night didn't really add any spark. I was very glad to see Frank last night, and I always liked Laurie too. Hopefully the show will hit a good stride again and they will settle into this new format a little better. I still have hopes for it, but it isn't like watching those original shows.

fairies*n*fireflies
02-04-2008, 05:05 PM
My color has been off also... But then we live in the same town.... It just about blinded me. None of my other channels were like that. I wasn't thrilled with the last show. Probably cause I couldn't see it LOL! I agree I wish that they would go back to just 2 neighbors swapping.

Emily
02-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I think one of my problems is that the carpenters are boring. Ty was always so much fun, and I always liked Amy too. Those two guys last night didn't really add any spark.

:eek: Blasphemy, Donna!! I LOVE Faber Dewar. :heart: He's such a sweetie and soooo cute. He's my favorite carpenter, but I think it's largely just because I think he's cute. ;) Eye candy!

My ex and I used to watch TS a lot back in the day, but over the years I've gotten out of it. I like it OK, but I can't get into it like I used to. Laurie is my favorite designer, I like her taste a lot. Frank is a sweetie but way too "crafty" and down-home for my taste (usually). Hildi and Doug are always good for entertainment value!

pixiesmimi
02-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Glad to hear it wasn't just my TV. :) Must have been our local cable.

I don't like the new carpenters yet either. I like Faber but wish the others like Ty, Carter, and Amy were back. The carpenter almost ruined things this time and think that was why Frank didn't get done on time. I don't think these guys are as proficient as the guys from before. Faber is but he can only work with one family. There doesn't seem to be much of a story to these episodes. I hope Paige gets it back on track.

pixiesmimi
02-16-2008, 10:14 PM
I have to say after watching the show tonight, that if they keep having Hildy on there, I may not watch it any more. Her room tonight was not good and I really feel sorry for Sarah having to do it. Who is this new guy? The new designer? His laugh drove me crazy!:ack: At least he had better taste than Hildy but he looked more like a new graduate from design school to me. Where is Vern? We need Vern back! :) I am really disappointed in the new show. I was so hoping that Paige was going to revive it but so far, it doesn't look like it.

pixiesmimi
03-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Hmm! Seems like everyone has lost interest in this show.

I think if they don't take Hildy off the show, they are going to lose a lot of viewers. Her room last night was terrible and the owner was very willing to say that. For once, someone told the truth and how they felt.

Hildy is always trying to replicate some artist's work and it never works in the room Get a grip, Hildy, and just do a room makeover like the others do. Maybe she got the hint last night.

NotaGeek
03-17-2008, 01:28 AM
Hilde is completely embarrasing, and the fact that no one stands up to her and says, "NO, you can't glue shredded paper to my friends walls" completely freaks me out.

In 2 more shows I might just flush the toilet forever. I can't take it ... and the carpenters are cute, yet really dumb.

ChipnDaleGal
03-17-2008, 07:16 AM
I hate to say it, but I have already stopped watching. Way too much Hilde, of course to me one episode of her is too much. I guess this is an example of you can't always go back to an old favorite and get the same magic. Too bad. I hope Paige doesn't get blamed for it if the show tanks. Still love her, but not enough to sit through these boring shows.

TheDuckRocks
03-17-2008, 11:17 AM
They have got to get Hildy under control! What she does can not be considered good design, it always amazes me that Wolf Furniture uses her as a spokes-person.:nono::down:

NotaGeek
02-10-2009, 07:03 PM
WOW. Looks Like not even Paige Davis could save the show ... I tried to watch it, but it just didn't have the same spark as the first few seasons. Too bad!

TheDuckRocks
02-11-2009, 11:35 AM
I can't say that I'm surprised! Even with Paige and Frank I counld not get into the new slant to the show or the new decorators.:(

DizneyRox
02-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Not surprising to hear it's been cancelled.

I tried to watch a couple shows and never made it through either.

Paige needs to drop some weight and fix her hair.

Format needs to be adjusted BACK to the original. They aren't marriage/relationship counselors and need to take that out of the show.

Designers have no personality, seems like the ones that did, left for HGTV.

Paige needs to lose some weight...