PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Wonderland

CosmicRay
11-15-2007, 03:59 PM
I watched a show the other day and this family (living in PA) was going to an amusement park called Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster, PA. They were saying this park is geared towards little kids. Has anyone been there and give me an opinion of what you thought? My sister lives in PA and has a 2 yo, I thought they might like to go someday.

Pookiesmom
11-15-2007, 04:38 PM
We've been there! Its great for little kids. Almost every ride in the park can be ridden with a grown up. My very favorite part is the water area. Its a cushioned surface with all sorts of watery fun. Fountains, waterfalls, etc. Its a little pricey for a smallish, local park, but lots of fun.
Erin

dizne4me
11-15-2007, 04:40 PM
I have been to Dutch Wonderland several times as a child and also have taken my kids there when they were young. It is nice, clean park and it is great for kids. They have a train, big slide, water slide, paddleboat, skyride, and an area designated just for the "little ones" I remember taking my son on some rides there when he was 6-7 months old. They have pavillions set up for picnics as well as picnic tables under trees near the river so you can watch the paddleboat pass by while you enjoy lunch. I always enjoyed Dutch Wonderland and think your family will as well.

Suz36
11-15-2007, 11:13 PM
We love Dutch Wonderland! It is so perfect for little ones - they can ride almost every ride, and it's completely doable in one day. They have some neat shows too. I believe they have special activities during the Christmas season, if they'd be interested! We'd love to see it at Christmastime, but we'll be too busy this year at DISNEY!

CosmicRay
11-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks for your help! I sent your remarks to my sister. it's always great to get some other peoples opinions.

Goofy Pluto
11-16-2007, 11:13 AM
I've only been there once during Christmas time a couple of years ago and it would seem to be a great place to take little kids. The night we went it was very cold and only a few rides were open, but I would guess during the summer 1) there would be LOTS of people there and 2) there would be lots of fun for the young ones. Definitely things to keep them entertained.

RBrooksC
11-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Lancaster is an area with great shopping since there are two large outlet centers there. Also, this is in the PA Dutch area so there are plenty of Famer's Markets, the Kitchen Kettle Village, family style restaurants, and many other things to see and do.

BeccaO
11-16-2007, 01:31 PM
I chuckled to myself when I saw this post because I live here in Lancaster County. Just a little trivia, Hershey actually bought Dutch Wonderland a few years ago. Right after they bought it, I had taken my daughter and my nieces there for the day, it didn't appear that Hershey had spent the money to update it much since I was there as a child. However, they did have a story in the news the past couple weeks about Dutch Wonderland auctioning off a lot of the old signs and such from some of the older rides. That to me would indicate that they are updating things. They also have a small water park type area for the kids. It is by no means a water park of sorts like Hershey Park has now, but it is do-able for little kiddies. I drove past a couple nights ago and the Christmas lights they have up are really neat. I know the Christmas Candy Lane Light display at Hershey Park allows you entrance to the park for free and then the rides they have open are pay as you go, I'm not sure if Dutch Wonderland is set up that way or not. As was mentioned above, we have mega outlets here, and we are still growing. The outlets are all located within a couple miles of Dutch Wonderland. I live here, so in my opinion I think Dutch Wonderland is a little over priced for what it is, I would rather drive 1/2 hour up the road to Hershey Park, but for someone from out of town with young children it would be a nice place to visit. Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!!! :mickey:

Goofy Pluto
11-19-2007, 11:10 AM
... I know the Christmas Candy Lane Light display at Hershey Park allows you entrance to the park for free and then the rides they have open are pay as you go, I'm not sure if Dutch Wonderland is set up that way or not.

I just wanted to note for anyone who does read this that this is not true any more. At Hersheypark, there is an admission fee now for the Candylane, but I believe that covers everything and you don't have to pay for tickets for rides any more. It's less than $20 per person.

As far as Dutch Wonderland for Xmas, when we went 2 years ago, it was one price to get in. I don't know if it's still like that, but I'm assuming it is.

gerald72
11-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi, another local.
Both Hersheypark Christmas Candy Lane and Dutch Winter Wonderland are one-price admissions.

DisneyDog
11-28-2007, 07:27 PM
We went 2 years ago on Memorial Day weekend, and we had a blast. It's perfect for little kids. They even have pony rides. We went for a few hours (we live just 1 hour away) and we were able to do plenty. There are hotels right across the street (you could easily walk there), and there's plenty to do in the area if you were to stay for a few days. Lots of great shopping, and Amish cooking is fabulous (but very fattening :D).

PAMOUSELOVER
12-06-2007, 11:03 PM
First, I have to say the show you were watching in Jon and Kate plus 8. I am so addicted to it!:thumbsup:
Second I live in Pa. and have been going to Dutchwonderland since I was a little kid. Some things have changed since Hershey bought it, but it is a nice little park. It is gered to the 10 and under crowd, but dont get me wrong, I loved it as a teenager too.
We liked Hershey when it was free to get in and purchase tickets. Hershey is a great park, but they really are gettting a little out of hand.

BeccaO
12-10-2007, 05:04 PM
I totally agree with the comment about Hershey getting a little out of hand. They have really managed to get their hands in everybody's pockets over the past couple years. Not only the fact that they charge to get into the Christmas Candy Lane, but the prices for counter service food in the park and at Chocolate World is absurd!!!! My husband and I commented that it is cheaper to eat at Disney than it is at Hershey Park.

Rockstar Boyfriends
12-14-2007, 12:04 PM
When at Dutch Wonderland, don't forget to ride the Lady Gay tugboat. No giggling at the name of the boat. :)

IamaDisneyFan
12-18-2007, 04:38 PM
FYI: There is a Disney Outlet Store opening up soon in Rockvale Outlets just a mile or two from Dutch Wonderland. DH and i drove by on Sunday and could see that the shelves were stocked. Just in case you wanted a taste of Disney while visiting Lancaster! :mickey:

Kairi_7378
12-20-2007, 10:57 PM
... the prices for counter service food in the park and at Chocolate World is absurd!!!! My husband and I commented that it is cheaper to eat at Disney than it is at Hershey Park.

DH said the same thing on our last trip!!! He also said that Disney food was so much better. However, our friend who was with us for the day was thrilled that there was vegetarian food available because at other theme parks she is stuck eating French fries.