PDA

View Full Version : Ban all strollers and wheelchairs...

SignguyTom
11-15-2007, 12:21 PM
...being pushed by little kids.

We just returned from a weekend at DLR and it was absolutely awesome - except being run into by several strollers and a wheelchair being pushed by kids ander the age of 5 or 6. My DD was hit 3 times by the same kid and the parents did nothing to stop it or prevent it from happening again. They just said "sorry" and allowed it to continue. :mad: Come on, now, does it really need to be spelled out to these parents that a very crowded park is not the place for this? :dizzy:

:nudge: Hello...!

Now, I understand that the kids want to do some pushing, and maybe even whine or cry if they are actually told "NO". But there needs to be some common sense exercised in these situations. Anybody with me on this...?! :soapbox:

magicman
11-15-2007, 12:27 PM
With your subject title, I bet you get a lot of thread views. :D

I think your request to not have small kids pushing strollers is logical; however, even if there's a 100% INTERCOT consensus, I don't know that it will be fully implemented by 100% of the park attendees.

TheRustyScupper
11-15-2007, 12:33 PM
1) Yep, you title got me.
2) But, I will agree with halting little kids from pushing them.

tyandskyesmom
11-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think this is an issue of the stroller but more an issue of parents not wanting or knowing how to PARENT....period.

I have an almost 9 year old who always wants to push his sister in her stroller...not just at Disney World. I have on occasion allowed him to but as soon as I see the pushing begin to get out of hand, which is always before we have any running-over-other-people issues, he looses that privledge...that's all there is to it, no discussion! Sure, he may crab for a bit but he gets over it and is no worse for wear.

If parents, in gereral, took more interest in parenting these days, this post wouldn't exist.

47 more days!!!

(and no, Tyler will not be pushing a stroller into anyone!)

#1donaldfan
11-15-2007, 12:47 PM
I have to agree that the title was very interesting.....if not, well, I'll let it go.....

About 4 years ago, while exiting MK, after the fireworks, my brother in law was ran over not once but twice by the same lady in a scooter. The front wheels of the scooter actually ran up the back of his leg....he was very irrate, and I just turned my head and laughed a little. The lady was truly sorry and it was extremely crowded. She said she was sorry both times. I can imagine controlling the thing was sorta difficult with the slow pace and constant stopping and going. Maybe, during those extreme times of exiting the parks Disney could implement a lane for chairs, stroller, and scooters only. Just my 2 cents.....have a great day.:mickey:

goofynmd
11-15-2007, 01:33 PM
As a parent of a 2 year old I understand where this complaint is coming from. My DS loves to push his stroller around. In fact, just last night we had to bring it inside from the garage so he could take Cookie Monster for a ride. THAT BEING SAID, I would never let him push it around some place like WDW. Occasionally when we go to our local zoo on a slow day, we will let him push it if there is no one around that he could possible cause bodily harm too.

It is difficult to reason with a toddler, however parents need to let their children know who is the parent and who is the child. Whatever you do, don't blame the child if you get hurt, blame the parent with bad parenting skills. That is my :twocents:

Hayden's Dad
11-15-2007, 01:41 PM
I understand what you mean, but I also hope you never have to be in a wheelchair, or have you child in one like mine is before you start banning strollers and wheelchairs.

I agree that small children should not push the strollers or wheelchairs in a congested area and if they are unable to control them then it needs to be changed.

Maybe, during those extreme times of exiting the parks Disney could implement a lane for chairs, stroller, and scooters only.

I think that would be a very good idea you have no idea how hard it is to manuever in a mass crowd like that. Most of the time I walk in front and my wife pushes so that people don't trip over us and so we can make room for us to move as well.

SignguyTom
11-15-2007, 01:50 PM
I understand what you mean, but I also hope you never have to be in a wheelchair, or have you child in one like mine is before you start banning strollers and wheelchairs.

I would never ban the strollers or wheelchairs. My point is that small kids should not be allowed, either by parent, rule or law, to push them in crowded areas.

poeticeclipse
11-15-2007, 02:04 PM
It is difficult to reason with a toddler, however parents need to let their children know who is the parent and who is the child. Whatever you do, don't blame the child if you get hurt, blame the parent with bad parenting skills. That is my :twocents:

Amen! I'm an avid activist on proper parenting being inforced at WDW. Well, in life in general. haha!

ThanxForNoticin
11-15-2007, 02:06 PM
This always has been and always will be a parental issue, not a kid issue. Parents need to be aware of what their kids are doing and how it can impact, and maybe hurt people around them. You'll certainly never get such a practice outlawed or even prohibited at a place like Disney - but hopefully, parents will be more respectful and teach their kids to be more aware. And it's more than just pushing strollers - kids will wrestle around in a crowd or throw things or run into other guests, too.

merlinmagic4
11-15-2007, 02:09 PM
My kids don't push the stroller.

SBETigg
11-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Small children shouldn't be pushing strollers or other wheeled objects around the parks, definitely in agreement.

My husband was run into by a four or five year old pushing a stroller in Fantasyland. He didn't see him until almost too late, leapt to avoid him, and ended up hurting his back (and some parts of our vacation due to the back trouble). The parents kept on walking and didn't even stop or acknowledge what the child did. The whole time, my husband kept saying "the poor kid could have been hurt!" He didn't even think of himself at first, he just couldn't believe the parents were so oblivious to their child.

BelleandtheBeast
11-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Amen!! I hate when my heels get run over by a stroller and to find out it is a child with no parenting then it really makes me mad. Some people want the kids to be independent and I understand that, but just don't let them run everyone over with a stroller.

kdkhopper
11-15-2007, 03:38 PM
As a parent with three young children I understand the desire for little ones wanting to push strollers, and I have allowed it on occasion, with strict supervision. I don't condone parents allowing their kids to run roughshod over others but I think that there are two different types of parenting issues being addressed here. Type one is the oblivious parent - it sounds like a lot of people here have been the victim of parents just not paying attention to what their little ones are doing. I think it might be easy to slip into this, even for normally attentive parents, at a place like Disney. Let's face it, what other place on the planet is as distracting to anyone?

Type two is the desperate parent. Disney can bring out the best and worst of our little ones. Normally compliant children can become demanding tyrants. Not so normally compliant children can go completely off the charts. I vividly remember a 5yo little girl screaming at her parents that she wanted to go on Dumbo NOW!!! Look at the faces of these parents and you'll see a parent desperate and willing to do anything to calm the storm, even things they would normally not do (like taking control of the stroller) in a more familiar setting like home.

Again, I'm not condoning any parent allowing their child to use their stroller as a potential weapon. But when in similar situations, it helps me not blow my top if I tell myself that these are not normal conditions.

LibertyTreeGal
11-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Not only that, but I hate those mini shopping carts in stores too. I relented once and let my kids do it, but it was a stressful experience, to say the least. What I hate most is the parents giggling after the child rams into your legs with one of those things like it's funny!

kakn7294
11-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Not only that, but I hate those mini shopping carts in stores too. I relented once and let my kids do it, but it was a stressful experience, to say the least. What I hate most is the parents giggling after the child rams into your legs with one of those things like it's funny!I hate those little carts too! Whoever thought those things were cute obviously does not shop in the store that has them. I agree that children shouldn't push strollers in crowded situations and they should never be allowed to push a wheelchair as those generally weigh as much as the average toddler and there is no way they can see over them. Catchy title to this thread - you got my attention!!!

*tinker_belle*
11-16-2007, 09:32 PM
This has been my biggest RANT at the parks for years. The sad thing is, its not just kids pushing strollers into people and the un-watchful parents, but its the parents as well who will have a kid in their arms, an ice cream in one hand a video camera going in their other hand all while trying to push their stroller and they are literally ALL OVER THE PLACE and they don't even care about everyone around them and thats what really makes me mad!

EPCOT84
11-17-2007, 04:14 PM
This has been my biggest RANT at the parks for years. The sad thing is, its not just kids pushing strollers into people and the un-watchful parents, but its the parents as well who will have a kid in their arms, an ice cream in one hand a video camera going in their other hand all while trying to push their stroller and they are literally ALL OVER THE PLACE and they don't even care about everyone around them and thats what really makes me mad!

Hear, hear :ditto:

Off topic, but the same thing with families and rollerbags at the airport. People do not realize or care they are knicking and bumping everyone. I don't know how many times I've been 'cut off' by a passenger crossing over my way to get to where ever.

BronxTigger
11-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't remember where I was, I think somewhere here in NYC, but I remember seeing a little kid pushing her younger sibling in a stroller. Mom wasn't paying attention and the stroller wheel caught on something and the stroller tipped over. The baby fell out and hit the ground, and the stroller was on top of the baby. The little kid fell down in the mess too. The baby was screaming and and so was the little kid, and then of course the mother. What a mess...I just hope the baby is okay.

I agree...little kids shouldn't handle strollers. I would say that anybody who can't see over the top of the stroller/wheelchair shouldn't be pushing one, but then what do really short parents do?

tinkwest
11-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Although this topic started out about an experience at Disneyland specifically, the discussion has evolved in to everyday experiences at grocery stores, malls, airports, WDW, & other vacation destinations. Obviously this is a concern which covers more ground than just DLR theme parks, so I am moving the topic to the DLR Mousellaneous forum.

Crystal Palace
11-21-2007, 12:15 PM
...being pushed by little kids.

We just returned from a weekend at DLR and it was absolutely awesome - except being run into by several strollers and a wheelchair being pushed by kids ander the age of 5 or 6. My DD was hit 3 times by the same kid and the parents did nothing to stop it or prevent it from happening again. They just said "sorry" and allowed it to continue. :mad: Come on, now, does it really need to be spelled out to these parents that a very crowded park is not the place for this? :dizzy:

:nudge: Hello...!

Now, I understand that the kids want to do some pushing, and maybe even whine or cry if they are actually told "NO". But there needs to be some common sense exercised in these situations. Anybody with me on this...?! :soapbox:

I am so with you on this! The same thing happened to my mom and I in Oct. One time a kid (he was probably 8) hit the back of my mom's legs so hard, and the mom looked at us and never said a word. So I said "Be careful!" to the kid, and the mom started going off on me "Don't yell at my child!" So I said "Then parent your kid!" and other things I can't say on here.:mad: It truly amazes me how kids are being brought up today! Absolutely no accountability for anything!

MegaDisney
11-21-2007, 12:55 PM
My favorite line I have heard regarding strollers in the park:

"Remember a stroller is not a weapon"

I think banning strollers is a bit extreme.

Most people are considerate with their strollers, but I have been run over a couple of times by thoughtless/unaware people. But hey, I am at Disneyland and I am not gonna let that get me down!

SignguyTom
11-25-2007, 11:55 PM
My favorite line I have heard regarding strollers in the park:

"Remember a stroller is not a weapon"

I think banning strollers is a bit extreme.

Most people are considerate with their strollers, but I have been run over a couple of times by thoughtless/unaware people. But hey, I am at Disneyland and I am not gonna let that get me down!

Remember...Banning strollers was jus a hook. I just wanted to open a dialog about little kids pushing them. :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
12-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Old topic, great thread. I would like to make a suggestion for those parents, whose kids just have to push or parents just looking for something for the kids to do while walking. Have them help you push. I work with Priority preschool children (3 to 5 year olds with learning divisibilities) when we have to walk somewhere we have some of them help push the strollers with an adult. While on the bus we point out interesting things on the way or talk about things they have done or are going to do. The point is you have to pay attention to the child and engage them and never reward bad behavior. Even if that means leaving the park for awhile. So what if you miss a few rides that is better then spending the day with a screaming child. And if the child is tired by all means take a break. Often times I believe parents at the parks are thinking about their own wants and not about the needs of their children. Just my
:twocents: Thanks for listening :balloon::bus:

LibertyTreeGal
12-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Well, when I was there last month, I never got hit by an ECV or by a child hitting me with a stroller, but every day I was the victim of a parent (usually a mom) who was pushing the stroller in one direction while looking in another direction. Not looking at her other kids, just craning her neck around to look and oblivious to the people directly in front of her. Urgh, I was getting really tired of it. Someone like this driving a Segway would kill someone.....

Marilyn Michetti
12-30-2007, 08:52 PM
I HAVE IT - REALLY !!!

Guest's with small children in strollers on Mon., Thurs., and Sun. mornings.:D
Little old ladies in ECV's the rest of the time.:yes:

Just kidding. There isn't any one answer - just watch where you're going, and hope the person behind is doing the same.:thumbsup: