PDA

View Full Version : taking pics on rides

DisneyAddict62
11-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Is is frowned upon to take pictures on the darker rides, like Pirates? Are there any rides that you aren't allowed to take pics?

6 days and counting!

BMan62
11-15-2007, 10:08 AM
From what I have read, and I am sure I will be corrected, no flash or infrared sensors on dark rides. Other than that, unless otherwise posted, it is OK to take pics/videos on rides, dark or otherwise.

Von-Drake
11-15-2007, 10:28 AM
I have taken pics on rides, but always make sure my flash is off.

LibertyTreeGal
11-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Yeah, flash photography is totally rude on these rides (unfortunately, people still do it) -- it is so hard to enjoy POTC or HM with flashes going off. As long as you don't have a flas it is cool, but the ride spiel on both rides forbids flash use :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-15-2007, 11:00 AM
I've taken pictures on a couple of rides, but am always really careful to make sure that the flash is off.

Depending on your camera though, be prepared for some blurry shots sometimes (digital is great for thatm just delete the bad ones!)

mickey&missy
11-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Also, try to turn any external LCD screens off. The light from those can be distracting and annoying.

Von-Drake
11-15-2007, 12:21 PM
I agree I should have included that in my first post. I keep the external screen off as well.

gerald72
11-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Personally, pictures that I have taken on rides are some of my least favorite pictures.
If you are taking pictures of your family on the ride, it is distracting to them and takes away from their enjoyment of the ride. Also, the background of the picture is very dark and you can't usually tell which ride it is anyway.
If you are taking pictures of the ride scenery, wait til after the ride is over and buy a postcard in the gift shop. They are much better than any pic you will take.

BelleandtheBeast
11-15-2007, 03:28 PM
If you are the only ones on the ride then flash away, but if other people are riding a flash might be kinda rude. If you go in jan or feb you are more likely to be alone on the rides.

RedheadWriter
11-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Personally, I wouldn't waste time tryign to get pictures in a dark ride with the flash off. It just will not come out very nicely.
Rachel

sneezyone
11-15-2007, 04:11 PM
you can take pics without the flash, you just need to know how to change the settings on your camera to compensate for low light and movement...it can be done if you read your camera's directions.

I always end up playing with the camera for one ride then getting pics on the 2nd, lol.

*I'm such a geek*

Fallendroplet
11-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Personally, I wouldn't waste time tryign to get pictures in a dark ride with the flash off. It just will not come out very nicely.
Rachel

I would have to agree with you, Rachel.

Pictures don't come out very well on the dark rides without a flash...but since flash photography isn't allowed and it is considered rude...just spend your time enjoying the ride instead of trying to get that perfect photograph. :mickey:

BelleandtheBeast
11-15-2007, 04:20 PM
My fave ride to have photo of is winnie the pooh, they turn out sooo cute.

thejens
11-15-2007, 07:40 PM
I have cute pics of my winnie the pooh ride too! But I will say I have to remind myself to STOP scrapbooking in my head and actually enjoy myself. I will not take pics again in a dark ride now that I think about the fact that my pooh pics may have been distracting to someone. Fortunately there are so many other photo ops!

WDWfanatic742
11-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Especially Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion. In about 10 rides spread out over 5 or 6 days in about a month at the Magic Kingdom, I couldn't miss the people who would be taking pictures with flash on. Needless to say, the couple next to us got a nice talking to about not taking the flash pictures from me and a couple of my friends (which we are all teens nonetheless) on Saturday in Pirates. :mickey:

BronxTigger
11-15-2007, 07:42 PM
You can't take photos inside Monster's Inc Laugh Floor....flash or not.

DisneyAddict62
11-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys, you're right, I probably just won't bother.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-16-2007, 03:31 AM
I've seen some amazing pictures taken when the flash was off by amatuers, as it was said before the settings need to be adjusted.

As for the pictures, as long as there isn't a flash you can take a photo. I believe that part of the reason this was for those who have epilepsy (sp?) - the flash in the darkness can potentially cause them to have a seizure. My best friend in high school had this and she always had to cover her eyes on the part where you enter the tube in Space Mtn.

Von-Drake
11-16-2007, 07:36 AM
I really do not take too many pictures inside rides anymore. I have taken so many of attractions and other things in the park. I remember over one 3 day visit over 800 pictures. Now I try to focus my picture taking habit and only take a picture if someone in my party is in it (or if I see something I know I do not already have a picture of.. of course there are still a few musts... Castle, Train, Adventureland sign as you cross the bridge.

DizNee143
11-16-2007, 12:41 PM
technically your not allowed..but people do it anyway...
i have done it a few times myself...

lightyearfan
11-16-2007, 01:14 PM
sure it's no problem you just can't use flash, but keep in mind, your pictures won't come out that well, i video tape as much as i can, and on the dark rides it really doesn't come out to good, and dw takes digital pics and they don't come out that great either

Victor

LibertyTreeGal
11-16-2007, 01:36 PM
You know, there are so many great quality pics available online (just google it) that is just really isn't worth it.

SignguyTom
11-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Some rides like ToT and RnRc do not allow ANY photography/video. I believe it is a safety issue - They don't want your camera getting away from you and causing damage to the ride or other guests. Also, the shows with live performers (Beauty & Beast, etc.) do not allow photography/video becuase it can be very distracting to the performers.

EJS-Houston
11-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Actually, I think the primary reason you shouldn't take flash photos on rides is that the flash ruins the extraordinary lengths the imagineers go to to create a particular lighting/atmospheric effect. It's like taking a flash photo in a theater; aside from blinding the actors it would ruin the elaborate, carefully considered lighting design for everybody else in the theater.

JPL
11-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Also, the shows with live performers (Beauty & Beast, etc.) do not allow photography/video becuase it can be very distracting to the performers.

This only true of Flash Photography and external video lights that are not allowed during live performances.

Altair
11-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Wait until the ride is stopped for some reason. The movement of the ride vehicle or the movement of the subject will blur your photos at slower shutter speeds.

Set camera to manual with ISO at 400 or 800.

Shutter speed to 1/60 or 1/30 if you can hold the camera very steady.

Lens aperature is the tough part and requires practice and trail and error. Try f/3.5 to f/8 depending on brightness of subject.

Choose subjects that are well lit. POC and HM are very tough since they are very dimly lit.

They won't be perfect, but you can get some good shots with practice and a little luck.

Here are some examples:
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1117581712053696626voTlOA

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1117577620053696626TeWXAP

Don't spend the entire ride snapping shots, but it's worth a try if the opportunity comes up.:thumbsup::mickey:

Cinderelley
11-17-2007, 05:55 PM
They won't let you on Buzz Lightyear either.

plutogal27
11-18-2007, 11:45 PM
DH and I were on PoTC a couple of years ago with another family who were recording the ride and had the light on their camcorder turned on. A CM actually stopped the ride and came over the PA demanding that the guy recording put the camera away. Its the first/only time I've ever seen or heard a CM reprimand someone for using photography on a dark ride.

LibertyTreeGal
11-19-2007, 06:55 AM
DH and I were on PoTC a couple of years ago with another family who were recording the ride and had the light on their camcorder turned on. A CM actually stopped the ride and came over the PA demanding that the guy recording put the camera away. Its the first/only time I've ever seen or heard a CM reprimand someone for using photography on a dark ride.

They did this on POTC on our last trip to DL as well. This guy was bad, I mean flashes going off continuously and he wouldn't listen to his fellow passengers who were telling him to knock it off.