PDA

View Full Version : WL deluxe *or* Polynesian standard?

cgriff
11-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Let me know which one of these possibilities you would recommend... Please explain the rationale for your answer if you can. Each vote is important--YOU COULD AFFECT MY NEXT TRIP TO WDW! :mickey:

thanks,
cgriff

jodijo
11-15-2007, 09:22 AM
WL gets our vote. We just love it. It is smaller than Poly and we love its theming. I know we are in the minority, but we just don't care for the Poly.

threeh
11-15-2007, 09:27 AM
You must be going when I am because these are the 2 options I keep getting...

Now, how many children with you?? Where do you spend your time, MK ,EPCOT??

Ok, my vote ( and what I chose) was Polynesian. You can get a decent garden view and request to be close to TTC. It it a quick walk there and then monorail to EPCOT or MK. I am also a huge Poly fan.
How much time will you spend in the room?? Deluxe rooms have a seperate sitting area, is this important to you?? When my kids were younger that would have been a huge factor so they could nap and go to bed early. Will you use the services of concierge?? Will you need the snacks and such. Are you on a dining plan so you have snack credits?? This is actually my first stay non concierge beacuse since the kids aren't so young I think we don't need all the snacks, plus I'm planning on getting re fillable mugs for all.

Well, good luck, either way you're going to disney world!!!

Have a great trip!!
Be sure to google tikiman and chaek out his Poly web site for garden views that rock!!!:mickey:

tikiman
11-15-2007, 10:11 AM
The theme of a resort is very important to many people so figure out how important it is to you first.

I am a big fan of the Polynesian even after trying many of the other resorts more than once but I would not make a recommendation based on what I like, it is more important to fit your needs.

If I put aside the themes I would say they both have great food but the Polynesian does have a 24 hour counter service to at least get a late night snack and that is important to me. Also the Polynesian rooms are very large but you would have a good amount of room in the WL Deluxe room. People say the Polynesian is spread out but we timed the walk for the guide book and it was 7 minutes from one end to the other so considering the lobby and pools are in the middle you are not any more than 5 minutes from your room. Being in the farthest room at the WL to the lobby can take longer with the elevator and walk so I don’t see the benefit there.

Transportation is where you totally lose me about staying at the WL. We visit the WL to eat and the boat takes a very long time to go from the MK to the resort and I have also waited a ridiculous amount of time at the dock for a boat to come. Nice ride but not very fast. The busses are ok but that is your only other option. You have boat, ferry, bus and monorail from the Polynesian. You also have quick and easy access to the Contemporary and Gf for food, shopping and fitness center.

The Polynesian has two great pools and what I think is the best water slide outside the water parks and it is right on the beach to watch the lagoon, enjoy the beach or watch fireworks while swimming.

Threeh is right about the view. Even with the cheapest garden view room at the Polynesian you could have a view of not only the gardens but the marina, pools, monorail, beach, lagoon and even some rooms can see the castle and fireworks.

Hope this helps.

Aloha

Steve

NJMan66
11-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I went to the Poly for the first time this past September and had the best vacation of my life. I'm going again to WDW this February, but this time I have chosen the WL. Why? Cost.

If money is not the issue here, then a lagoon view or park view at the Poly is the way to go.

To add to the other comments just made by tikiman, the Poly has the best Bar Scene/Restuarant Scene next to the AKL. :marg: Plus... the volcano pool slide is the best on campus.

Now, if cost is the issue and you want to stay at a delux, then WL would get my vote. The nice thing about the WL is it's on the lake, has a beach and an amazing pool.

pox24
11-15-2007, 03:07 PM
The Poly without a doubt. Its MR access, food theme, pool. Although WL is awesome there, in my judgement is no comparison. The extra cost is well worth it.:thumbsup:

PetefromRI
11-15-2007, 06:02 PM
The Poly without a doubt!!Aside from being the most beautiful resort in Disney,the transportation options are awesome.If you can swing the cost,go for it!!!

pook@wdw
11-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Well, you can see from my signature what our preference would be. We've stayed @ both, but there's just something about the atmosphere @ the WL that we simply can't stay away from. However, your choice would be based on several different factors. How many in your party, how many kids, what parks you'll go to most, what type of resort theme you prefer, how much time you're willing to spend on transportation, and $$$. Good luck on your decision and have a Magical Journey!

TammiMcMan
11-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Let me know which one of these possibilities you would recommend... Please explain the rationale for your answer if you can.Are you considering a WL deluxe room due to having at least 5 people in your group? They're very nice rooms, with the bedroom being separate from the living space and extra bedding. It also comes with club level service. The drawback would be that there's not very much storage space for a family of 5 or 6. In the Poly's favor is that the location is much more convenient for transportation options. They do lack a hot tub though. I guess you need to go through the list of pro's and con's and decide which details are more important for your particular family.

LibertyTreeGal
11-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Having done both, I'd recommend WL. I thought Poly was just okay, but then I have to say that it was before the renovations.

Mom2princesses
11-15-2007, 10:25 PM
The Poly is "home" away from home for us. It is relaxing, has great food, pools, transportation and location. I just can't go anywhere else because I know I will be disappointed.

mttafire
11-15-2007, 11:59 PM
IMHO, W.L. by a mile. To me its Disneys BEST themed resort. I love C.R. alot also but you ask between the Poly and W.L.; without a doubt id choose W.L. The ONLY thing about the Poly i like better than W.L. is the Monorail. That is just not enough though to choose it.
Shawn

GrmGrninGost
11-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Wilderness Lodge, by a nose! I love the Poly, and the monorail is great, but WL is my all-time favorite resort! :mickey:

cgriff
11-16-2007, 10:25 AM
thank you for the responses so far. I think that I should clarify that we are a family of 5, and that is why the consideration is a Deluxe Room at WL vs. a Standard Room at the Polynesian. Max capacity of a Wilderness Lodge standard room is 4, so I either have to book (2) standard rooms or move into (1) Deluxe (Jr. Suite) room. Max capacity of a Polynesian Standard Room is 5. Poly Standard Room actually is less money than a WL Deluxe room. The WL Deluxe includes Club-level access, as TammiMcMan points out, so I guess that's something important to consider. We have stayed at WL before (and liked it) but have never stayed at the Poly. Still on the fence I guess!

thanks,
cgriff

tikiman
11-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Actually the Polynesian room max is 6 if one of the occupants is 3 or under and in a crib.

Since you have not stayed at the Polyensian maybe you should find out for yourself if you like it.

Aloha

Steve

mrsgaribaldi
11-17-2007, 08:51 AM
I've stayed at both and the Poly is my absolute all time favorite. If you pick the Poly and take me with you, I will personally show you everything I love about it;)
It's worth a shot:blush:
The WL is nice too but we stayed there once in early 2000 with no return trips. Have fun picking:mickey:

Tigger&Stitch
11-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Another vote for WL! Especially with the restaurant there - lots of fun for kids. They can also learn about the different layers of rock, as each level has a glass case with samples of rock etc. And the boat ride to MK! And the bike rentals! And the short trip to Ft. Wildnerness for the activities there! =)

TheRustyScupper
11-24-2007, 12:04 PM
1) I have stoped recommending specific resorts.
2) In each resort class, there is no "better" or "best".
3) They each have their own characteristics.
4) I find people recommend a resort based upon their own preferences.
5) And biases.
6) I think you just need to view each and decide on your needs/likes.

NOTE: With the above said, please remember that the Poly is a Deluxe resort, and Wilderness Lodge is a 1st-Class resort. Hence, the price differences.

wedway76
11-24-2007, 02:04 PM
NOTE: With the above said, please remember that the Poly is a Deluxe resort, and Wilderness Lodge is a 1st-Class resort. Hence, the price differences.

I didn't realize there was a difference.

irish1967
11-24-2007, 09:27 PM
1) NOTE: With the above said, please remember that the Poly is a Deluxe resort, and Wilderness Lodge is a 1st-Class resort. Hence, the price differences.

What is the difference between Deluxe and 1st-Class (other than price, that is!)

Thanks in advance - I've never heard of 1st Class!