PDA

View Full Version : activities for a grand gathering? help?

figment
11-15-2007, 08:33 AM
hello out there...

this will be our first time to disney in which we'll be taking the inlaws down. there will be a total of 9 people. we were going to do one of the activities that is offered to grand gathering parties... but we're not sure at this time. sooo... what else can we do with a party of 9... for eats? is the hoop dee doo geared more towards adults? (we have 4 kids going)

is there something else out there... or would one recommend on of the grand gathering activities?

thanks in advance.

ThanxForNoticin
11-15-2007, 12:12 PM
To answer your first question, Hoop-Dee-Doo is a very family-oriented show. My kids always enjoyed the food, the music, and the comedy. As for other grand gathering activities, there are quite a few. I would recommend the special one they do at the Animal Kingdom, where you go on a late day safari and then have dinner at Tusker House. We did that a few years ago, and I assume they are still doing it. You can also do things like special cruises that take you on the water to see Wishes or Illuminations. Then there are things you can do on your own as a group. The possibilities are endless. I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations.

There are many places you can eat as a group, as well. We have done large groups at 'OHana, Boma, Portabella Yacht Club, and the Japanese restaurant at EPCOT - we sat together and had a terrific time. The character buffets are also great for larger groups. Good luck and have fun!

Beast_fanatic
11-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I think the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review would be a good activity to do together.

I would definitely take a look at the Grand Gathering activities. I've heard good things about the fireworks cruise and about the breakfast at Tony's, but I'm sure they're probably all good.

As far as other places to dine together as a group, I'd suggest looking at doing one or more character meals (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/characters/charactermeals.asp). And, other than that, just check out menus (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/menus/default.asp) and decide what sounds good as most restaurants can accommodate a group of 9. For specific recommendations on restaurants, I'd suggest asking in the dining forum...

Buttercup
11-16-2007, 12:08 PM
We had a group of 11 in our Grand Gathering, and we actually didn't do any of the "formal" grand gathering experiences.
Instead, we made our own plans & experiences.
We went to various restaurants as a group -- our favorite ended up being the Trails End Buffet at Fort Wilderness -- it really is one of the best food values on the property.
We went to the Campfire and Movie at Fort Wilderness together.
We had a character breakfast at Chef Mickey's, and made plans to watch certain fireworks and parades as a group, etc.
We 'scheduled' shopping times together, swimming times... stuff like that. And the most important part was that it was "everything's optional"... so if a couple people didn't want to be there, it was no big deal. Everyone did what they wanted, but we had certain activities planned at certain times that we all knew we could meet up together if desired.

stitch34
11-18-2007, 10:22 AM
I would definitely reccommend Hoop Dee Doo Revue as something that would be enjoyed by all. As far as the grand gathering experiences,
I would definitely suggest trying one out. We did the Wishes cruise last May and it was a very fun time for our whole party.:thumbsup:
Otherwise I think Buttercup had the right idea by trying to schedule some group activities like swimming or watching some of the shows (Fantasmic, Wishes, Spectro) together. I think with such a large group it's good to allow for time apart and then meet up later and to keep some things optional.

JPL
11-18-2007, 10:41 AM
The big event that I hear a must-see is the special Safari and Dinner they offer. I have heard nothing but rave reviews about this.