PDA

View Full Version : How do you prevent blisters?

azdisneymom
11-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Sorry, sort of a gross subject but... What do you do to prevent blisters? I have read about a product called BodyGlide. Does it work? Would appreciate any advice or tried and true methods to keep me on my feet for days. :D

mttafire
11-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Honestly, Even after basic training in new stiff boots...I never got a blister.
The best advice: dry socks, shoes that fit.
Those are the two best things you can do.
Since i dont get them i guess my advice works?:blush:
Shawn

ILoveLegos
11-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Bandaids makes a "second skin-like bandage" that is specifically for putting on "hotspots" that start to develop before you get blisters. We keep them in our backpacks in case the following doesn't work.

1. Keep your feet dry as per the previous poster's advice. Use talc on your feet sweat to try to keep them dry if you need it.
2. Bring two pairs of well broken in shoes (sneaks, tevas, crocs whatever works for you)- switch pairs daily.
3. If you wear socks (I do) put on a fresh & clean pair daily. Choose sports socks with a cotton/nylon blend 70-30. Helps wick away sweat and keep hot spots to a minimum. Choose the right thickness for your shoe (some of my sports require thick and cushy other need thin socks, you know what works for you. Some socks even have antibacterial qualities which can cut down on odor problems - if that's a concern.
3. Bring neosporin or whatever you use for blisters to avoid infections. We're bactine and neosporine/pain relief fans.
4. Get a good pedicure for nail problems but don't have all the "callouses buffed off" new skin makes for real tender feet when a lot of walking is involved.

That is what works for me - I'm quite active, fitness walker, roller skater, roller blade-er, Ice skater and Heely-er and I've only gotten one blister ever in my life and it was my fault, I was speed rollerskating for about 4 hours at the age of 15 in the wrong type of socks (fashionable not sport socks - yucky & ouchy!).

Hope this helps.

mrsgaribaldi
11-15-2007, 01:03 AM
I have to agree with what's been said so far. We also spray deodorant on our feet in the mornings. Broken in shoes and good socks, I think those 2 are the main things:thumbsup:

sgundell
11-15-2007, 01:30 AM
I am a chronic Disney Parks blister sufferer ... but I've finally found a solution!

As mentioned previously, comfy shoes & clean, dry socks are KEY. I like to keep a second pair of socks with me to change into during the day if my feet start to bother me.

Band Aid's "second skin" blister bandages are great.

And also, Band Aid now makes a "Blister Block stick." Anywhere your shoes rub or it feels like you might get a blister, just rub it on and it prevents a blister from forming. I've used it -- it's great. I keep one in my purse at all times and plan to bring one along with me to WDW when I go in a couple weeks.

DisneyDudet
11-15-2007, 03:27 AM
You want a CHEAP way to prevent blisters?

Duct tape to spots prone to blisters (heels, bottoms of feet, etc). You can also use this after you have a hot spot.

If you want to REALLY prevent them, thick, dry socks with well broken in shoes (preferably shoes that you've worn that don't make blisters).

If you don't have duct tape, you can get Mole Skin. With both duct tape and Mole Skin, you will need scissors to cut it into the shape and size you need. Blunt children's scissors should pass through security on carry ons.

All we've really done is mole skin and duct tape. I tell ya, that duct tape comes in handy more often than Mole Skin!

We're really not that red neck.. for real!

LittleD
11-15-2007, 06:48 AM
Best way to prevent blisters is to put vaseoline on hot spots. Then put your sock on and put vaseoline on your sock, on the hot spots. Then put on your shoe. The vaseoline will prevent the friction which is what causes blisters. This also works great when breaking in new shoes.

kakn7294
11-15-2007, 07:04 AM
My oldest DD gets blisters every trip. I bought her a product from Avon that's supposed to prevent blisters. I'm also going to get her that Bodyglide stuff when I can find it - we recently had a Dick's store open up in our mall and I heard that they sell it there. We've done the moleskin route too but I find it doesn't stick to sweating feet and had to wrap it with medical-type tape to keep it in place. I'd be a little leary of the duct tape - some people really break out from the strong adhesive, making the problem worse.

BMan62
11-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Sorry, sort of a gross subject but... What do you do to prevent blisters? I have read about a product called BodyGlide. Does it work? Would appreciate any advice or tried and true methods to keep me on my feet for days. :D

BodyGlide DOES indeed work! I use it religiously with my golf spikes (can never get used to the hard heel plates on them.)

RedheadWriter
11-15-2007, 08:38 AM
You want a CHEAP way to prevent blisters?

Duct tape to spots prone to blisters (heels, bottoms of feet, etc). You can also use this after you have a hot spot.

If you want to REALLY prevent them, thick, dry socks with well broken in shoes (preferably shoes that you've worn that don't make blisters).

If you don't have duct tape, you can get Mole Skin. With both duct tape and Mole Skin, you will need scissors to cut it into the shape and size you need. Blunt children's scissors should pass through security on carry ons.

All we've really done is mole skin and duct tape. I tell ya, that duct tape comes in handy more often than Mole Skin!

We're really not that red neck.. for real!

This post proves my dad's old adage that the two critical tools in life are duct tape and wd40! :thumbsup:
Seriously, all the advice is great. Shoes that fit well prevent rubbing which means no blisters. If the shoe rubs, protect the area. Good socks are a must.
Rachel

Kidsmom
11-15-2007, 08:41 AM
I am a runner and I live for Body Glide. It is great for chaffing and rubbing spots (shorts, sport bras, new shirts). I have never worn it on my feet, but am sure it would work well there. I think just good socks and broken in shoes would be your best.
Body glide or vasoline would be great for 'hotspots' on your feet especially if you only are wearing sandles or had a bad day with your shoes. You can buy it at any sporting goods store....I always get it at EMS.

Good Luck!

irish1967
11-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Forget fashion - good, broken in shoes and good socks are a must.

mousetrapper
11-15-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm hoping my Crocs will help me prevent any blisters! :thumbsup:

LandFan
11-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Body Glide works for us too!!:thumbsup:

magicofdisney
11-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Sprinkle baby powder on your feet if they start to feel sweaty.

brownie
11-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Broken in shoes that aren't really old
Wear two pairs of socks to prevent the friction that causes blisters
Avoid cotton socks; use wool or synthetic that will wick away the moisture
Stuff your shoes with newspaper or paper towel at night to dry them out (or bring a second pair and alternate days with them)
If you feel a "hot spot" developing, apply moleskin to the area immediately to prevent the blister (or take a break)
Do some serious walking before your trip to toughen up your skin some

BelleandtheBeast
11-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Tennis shoes that are broken in and socks are a must to prevent blisters. Make sure to take an extra pair of socks in case your feet sweat, you need to keep your feet as dry as possible. I hope this helps. I sure hate blisters on my feet.

LibertyTreeGal
11-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Our son Andy has clubbed feet and almost no nerve endings in his feet (don't ask us how he walks, ask God, only He knows) and so we used to have a lot of problems with cracking open and bleeding, blistering, etc... and this child insisted on walking from dawn to dusk at WDW for 8 days.

So anyway, here is what we do (and a lot of this came directly from his doctors:

1. Well broken in shoes, as well as well broken in feet. Feet that walk regularly do not blister as easily.
2. No synthetic socks or shoes, make sure the shoes and socks both breathe.
3. Dry out the feet regularly if they are prone to dampness (just quietly remove your shoes under the table if they are not mega-smelly) :blush:
4. Use medicated foot powders if you are not going to have opportunities to keep them dry.
5. Pack moleskin if this does not work.

Since following these directions, we have not had Andy's feet crack open or blister in 2 years, and he is very active! And believe me, they used to be just awful.....

SAHDad
11-15-2007, 05:15 PM
I use Body Glide when I run to prevent chafing, and it seems to be of some use in preventing blisters. (I say some, because aside from blisters under the toenails, I rarely get them, even on marathon plus runs.)

Aside from that, I can only echo the advice others have given - use broken-in (but not broken-down) shoes, comfortable socks (I prefer the tech fabrics, because they wick better, which means fewer blisters), carry Moleskin, start taking walks in advance of your trip, keep your feet dry, etc.

If you feel a hot spot, or the beginnings of pain or tenderness in your foot, stop as quickly as is practical and attend to it. Walking around with a hot spot is a good way to get some serious blisters.

azdisneymom
11-15-2007, 05:33 PM
This post proves my dad's old adage that the two critical tools in life are duct tape and wd40! :thumbsup:
Rachel

:funny: Sounds just like my DH. But seriously...Thanks to all of for the help! :rocks:

kakn7294
11-15-2007, 05:43 PM
I forgot until I read some of the other posts - I carried a trial / travel sized can of baby powder in my bag this last trip. Just be sure to pack it in a zip-top bag or all of your stuff might end up coated in white and smelling baby soft!

Figaro0826
01-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Wair your Crocs!

I have nerve damage in both feet and Croc's were my godsent, no sore feet and no blisters.

Last trip was very painful just to walk.

Goofyjrzgrl
01-20-2008, 11:47 PM
As an athlete... the best thing I ever learned was
WEARING YOUR SOCKS INSIDE OUT... I DONT KNOW WHY BUT IT WORKS!!!

katzctkpt
01-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Most definately shoes that are not brand new and have been broken in. I have used deodarant on my feet to help prevent the sweating and gold bond powder in the shoes. If a blister begins to form we use mole skin. Works great. Never thought about duct tape but, will consider it.

sillyolbear
01-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Body Glide has always done the job for me. My wife has had trouble the past few trips usually from forgetting to apply Body Glide. She has treated the hot spots with a Band Aid product that has a gel type pad to go over the blister.

I always take mole skin and children's blunt nose scissors. I'll have to add duct tape.

WDWCrazyKaren
01-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Everyone here has great advice!

Another idea-do NOT opt for your super, comfortable sandals! They are fine if you are headed to another resort for dinner, trips to the water parks etc., but I thought my super soft, comfy Teva's would be great. Nope, blisters after one day.

My second bit of advice is this-I know everyone has already said "well broken in tennis shoes". This is a MUST! However, do NOT go with the $2.99 clearance shoes from your local discount stores. If you are shelling out this much $$ to go to WDW, shell out the dough for really good, and yes, sometimes expensive, walking tennis shoes. Feel free to pay for last years fashions if you don't care about the look, but this is not the area to skimp on quality.

Karen

bshaw96
01-23-2008, 11:07 AM
You know, I never had that problem until our last visit. Not sure if if was the new shoes that hadn't been broken in, or the wet socks from a water ride, but that happened to me at AK. I was miserable. Comical part though was going to First Aid looking a band aid. All I wanted was a bandaid. And they made me sign in and fill out forms and everything. Then they took me to a back room where someone cleansed it up and put the band aid on for me. Definitely disney service, but it reminded me of an ER visit at home. :D

disneycouple2004
01-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Wish i had found this post last month before our trip..i got a really bad blister our 2cd day..sure was painful the rest of the trip but i pushed on..really good advice here..i am taking notes this time !!:D

adoptionislove
01-23-2008, 12:06 PM
I go to an Athletic Sore and buy the really ridiculously expensive socks (like $10-$15 per pair). They work great. And take lots of breaks!

Dakota Rose
01-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Moleskin on trouble spots has helped me in the past. On my last trips, I chose to alternate shoes (one pair for the daytime, one pair at night time kinda thing) and that helped a lot. It also helped beat the foot fatigue. Avon makes an anti-blister product as well.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
04-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Can someone explain this BodyGlide product to me? It sounds like a lotion. I thought we wanted to prevent moisture?

My husband gets multiple blisters everytime we go to WDW. When we get back to the hotel each night, he performs "surgery" on them. He is such a trooper. He complains but he keeps going for 9 -10 days.

We have tried REALLY expensive shoes, really expensive wool blend socks, trading shoes from day to day, mole skin. I think the only thing he hasn't tried is some type of foot deoderant. Oh, and we haven't resorted to duct tape either. Ok, Morgan, this is redneck. I can say this because we are from Texas, too! :horse:

SAHDad
04-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Can someone explain this BodyGlide product to me? It sounds like a lotion. I thought we wanted to prevent moisture?

My husband gets multiple blisters everytime we go to WDW. When we get back to the hotel each night, he performs "surgery" on them. He is such a trooper. He complains but he keeps going for 9 -10 days.

We have tried REALLY expensive shoes, really expensive wool blend socks, trading shoes from day to day, mole skin. I think the only thing he hasn't tried is some type of foot deoderant. Oh, and we haven't resorted to duct tape either. Ok, Morgan, this is redneck. I can say this because we are from Texas, too! :horse:

BodyGlide is a basically a deodorant-like product, at least in terms of appearance. You rub it over the areas where blisters or chafing can occur, and it helps prevent friction. I've only done it on the feet a couple of times, but I can swear that it works very well for avoiding chafing and rashes.

If your husband is getting lots of blisters, the shoes are probably part of the problem. Have you tried a specialty running store? Even if you are not buying running shoes, they might be able to help you out.

Duct tape does work - at least, according to ultramarathoners, who have been known to, in the middle of an event, take care of a blister or six, then tape the affected areas and run another 20-30 miles. It seems a little extreme to me, but they swear by it.

momof3+twins
04-29-2008, 10:08 PM
I have read a lot of people saying bring several pairs of shoes and change them everytime you go back to the room.
I personally have found that the keds with an open back are very comfortable. I have never gotten blisters with them. I tend to have problems with that.

myhappyplace
04-30-2008, 07:43 AM
I am just a flip flop girl.:blush: Wearing Tennis shoes actually scares me that I would get a blister. People ask how I can do that. I wear high heels to work each day, and if I am not bare foot, I am in flip flops anyway. So they are comfy to me. Sure not to get blisters with those.

Young@Heart
04-30-2008, 08:54 AM
I think having comfortable, fitting, broken-in shoes is a must! I just bought sandles over the weekend, and already have blisters. :( They're the brand I buy every summer (earth spirit) and I've never had any problems. However, after wearing them for a few hourse, they started to feel tight and now I've got bandaids on so the blisters don't get worse.

In the past, I've worn these same shoes to WDW and haven't had a problem. But I think my feet are so used to my crocs that I'll be foregoing the sandals this trip.

katzctkpt
04-30-2008, 09:18 AM
I have to agree with what's been said so far. We also spray deodorant on our feet in the mornings. Broken in shoes and good socks, I think those 2 are the main things:thumbsup:

Forget fashion - good, broken in shoes and good socks are a must.

Most definately broken in comfy shoes. We also use moleskin I would cut the moleskin into strips and put in our bag so I didn't have to worry about taking scissors to the park. I will definately be buying some of the bodyglide stuff this yr. I've read a lot of positive things about it on intercot and that means a lot.

Taja
04-30-2008, 02:42 PM
You know, I never had that problem until our last visit. Not sure if if was the new shoes that hadn't been broken in, or the wet socks from a water ride, but that happened to me at AK. I was miserable. Comical part though was going to First Aid looking a band aid. All I wanted was a bandaid. And they made me sign in and fill out forms and everything. Then they took me to a back room where someone cleansed it up and put the band aid on for me. Definitely disney service, but it reminded me of an ER visit at home. :D

I had the same experience in 2003! I had injured my left leg a few days before our WDW visit, so I was walking funny. By Day 2 I had a blister in shoes that never give me blisters!

The first-aid station staff was terrific. They even gave me some extra adhesive bandages. :thumbsup:

Jeri Lynn
04-30-2008, 04:26 PM
I prevent blisters by wearing a pair of well worn-in sneakers, I buy my Disney sneakers in the summer and break them in before my trip.

I've never gotten a blister from my sneakers if they are broken in, I've only gotten them from new shoes that I have brought down.