PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for a new washing machine?

disneydeb
11-14-2007, 07:01 PM
I just finished a load of laundry and noticed water under the machine. My Maytag is 27 years old. My husband looked but did not see any water behind the machine. Should I try to get it fixed or buy a new machine? Just wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter.
Thanks.

mttafire
11-14-2007, 07:17 PM
At 27 i would definately get a new one. It will cost much more to fix it than replace it..
Also, front end loaders are GREAT. They are more $$ but they save a ton of water.

Mickey'sGirl
11-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Deb, I would be tempted to have someone come out and look at it and give you his/her opinion. I remember when we bought a fridge a few years back (and we paid good money for a high end one), the sales guy, and also the guy who came to do the 1 yr maintenance check on it both told us that appliances these days are built to last an average of 10 years, whereas 20 years ago, they were built to last forever.

Maytag is a good name (although I despise my Maytag dishwasher!!!) and I would bet that your problem could be as simple as some little dohickey gadgetty thing that can be replaced rather inexpensively.

If you have to go for a new washer, I personally recommend a high capacity front loader... They are designed with conservation and efficiency in mind...which results in conservation for both our environment and our wallets! :thumbsup:

RedheadWriter
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I agree that you should call to see if it is a small problem first. The Maytag washing machine at my place is exactly my age, 32, and it is as solid as a rock. It is true that appliances today are not built to last.
Good luck!
Rachel

mttafire
11-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Most service calls start at 50.00 plus labor and parts....A NEW Magic chef washer (maytag off brand) is less than 300.00 Trust me, Get a new one.:thumbsup:

RenDuran
11-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Maybe you just overloaded your machine. Years ago I had a repair-man come see about my ancient washing machine that had poured water into the apartment under ours. He found nothing wrong with it and chalked it up to overloading it! The visit cost me $40 and I never had another problem....so I guess he was right! I got about another 10 years out of that machine.

SteveL
11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Before buying a new machine, make sure it isn't just a hose leak.
However, we had a Kenmore that actually rusted through the tub.

Hammer
11-14-2007, 10:41 PM
I agree with most that you should have a repair person come out and take a look. Yes, it will cost you to have him/her come out, but it may be minor repair and you'll kick yourself if you spend money unnecessarily. I had the exact same problem and it ended up having to replace the washer, but I am still glad I didn't make any hasty assumptions.