PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Beaches?

FaithTrustPixieDust
11-14-2007, 12:19 PM
We are planning a trip to the SC coast this summer and I need some expert advice from my Intercot friends! I'm not familiar with this area and would like some input regarding which beaches I should research, where to stay, etc. We've got kids and would love an area that is not too crowded, but also not too remote!!

Thanks!

quicksand
11-14-2007, 01:58 PM
My family and I like Hilton Head. It is a nice family beach. Not a lot of "partying" kids. Mostly families with children. We got a one bedroom oceanfront condo for about $950 for the whole week. We would just cook in our room and go out to eat occasionly. Restaurants can be pretty pricy. (Especially for a family of 5.) I think you will like Hilton Head. Let me know if you have any questions.

tennantsrwe
11-14-2007, 02:17 PM
My DH and I both grew up in Myrtle Beach, we just recently left the area (due to a job change) in Jan. There is a ton of things for everyone to do there. Also the new Hard Rock Theme Park is due to open in May, it's a big deal I hear. :cool: There are tons of resturants, shopping, entertainment, golf...and lets not forget the waterparks and the beach! As for the crowds, it is a tourist area but there are some slower times during the peak season. Obviously 4th of July and Memorial Day aren't one of them, lol! I have a sister in law that works at a resort and if you tell me what dates your interested in I can get the scoop...to see if there are major events planned or not. I think if you reserach the area you will see there is a wealth of info on the net. Let me know if you decide to head that way, I can tell you some hot spots and must sees...:thumbsup: Also, I can give you some info on the various resorts you may come across...like which ones are nice and which ones aren't, how convenient they are to everything, etc. Hope this helps...give MB a try!

AnnieBananie
11-14-2007, 02:34 PM
I second the vote for Hilton Head. My family has been going there for 26 years!! We ALL love it! We've also gone to several of the Myrtle Beach area beaches. It really depends on what you are looking for.....we really like HHI much better. Prices about the same, though you could probably find lots more on the cheaper side at Myrtle. But, it's not as relaxing as HHI. Lots of loud cars, motorcycles, etc. at Myrtle - lots of cruising around.....HHI is more laid-back. More family-oriented, sedate. We always stay in the Sea Pines area. We walk most places or ride the trolley. I'm ready to go NOW!!

sloslo
11-14-2007, 03:57 PM
We've been to all the SC beaches but our favorite is Myrtle Beach. Lots to do, lots of oceanfront hotels. There's Broadway at the Beach and Barefoot Landing which are kinda like Downtown Disney. There's a lot of shows like the Dixie Stampede (Dolly Parton's show) as well as attractions such as Alligator Adventure, Ripley's Aquarium, etc. We stayed at the Embassy Suites in the Kingston Plantation this past May and the Bay Watch in September. Both oceanfront so you can just walk downstairs to the beach. You can also take a day trip to Wilmington, NC. It's only 50 miles from North Myrtle.
Have fun :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
11-14-2007, 04:29 PM
I give another vote for myrtle beach we have went there from 1-3 times a year for as long as I can remember. If you don't want to stay right in the hussel and bussel you can go south just a bit and stay at murrels inlet and still drive to all the fun shops, parks etc at MB but have a little more low key place to play in the ocean and sleep.

Oh and there's a pretty nice disney store at broadway at the beach too :)

Melanie
11-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Oh and there's a pretty nice disney store at broadway at the beach too :)

Huh? Since when? Now I'm excited!

Bethis26fan
11-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Huh? Since when? Now I'm excited!

It was there in May of this year cause I spent a few $$ but I know my mom and grandma went before then but I'm not sure of when it opened. Its on the same side as most of the eating places right before you turn to go back towards the bridge.

Melanie
11-14-2007, 10:13 PM
I haven't been to Broadway at the Beach since summer of '06. I always wondered why there wasn't a Disney Store in Myrtle Beach. When they built the new mall right past Broadway, I thought maybe they'd put one in there.

Its on the same side as most of the eating places right before you turn to go back towards the bridge.

So on the same side as the Hard Rock?

biodtl
11-15-2007, 12:30 PM
I love Myrtle Beach. It's beautiful and one of the things I like best about taking kids here is that is a very flat, deep shore, so there's a large area where the kids can play safely in sand and just a few inches of surf (under supervision, of course).

Also - if you don't want really crowded areas, don't stay near all the hotels. If you can afford it , rent a house (there are all sizes available) in the quiter areas like surfside or garden city. You can generally walk (or take a short drive) to one of the pier areas, where there are stores, games, amusement rides, etc. And the restaurants, mini-golf, Broadway, Barefoot and all the other good places are also just a short drive away.

Bethis26fan
11-17-2007, 12:02 PM
I haven't been to Broadway at the Beach since summer of '06. I always wondered why there wasn't a Disney Store in Myrtle Beach. When they built the new mall right past Broadway, I thought maybe they'd put one in there.

So on the same side as the Hard Rock?

Yes on the hard rock side

Tink#64
11-17-2007, 07:38 PM
We went to Myrtle Beach this summer, along with DM & her DH. We had a wonderful time. We drove to Georgetown & did the 3 hour shelling tour on the island w/ the light house. This was mine & DM's fav. We went to the Medieval Times Dinner Theatre & that was youngest DS (9)'s fav. We went to Broadway At The Beach a couple of times. DS (11) wanted to go to Magi Quest & it was fun. We really enjoyed Barefoot Landing & it's funny that I just read in a previous post what I said when we were there, that it reminded me of DTD! We went there a couple of times for dining & shopping. It was much more laid back & quieter than BATB.

We rented a room from an individual through the VRBO. It was a one bedroom w/ a kitchen & ocean front. It was at The Breakers Paradise Tower & we loved it! We all just loved sitting on the balcony looking out at the ocean, walking on the beach, collecting shells & watching the birds! There are so many choices, from just enjoying the beach to all the various attractions MB has to offer. We tried to alternate between the busy & taking it easy!

This was a very different vacation for us from our usual WDW go go go! But we thoroughly enjoyed & said we'd definitely go back in a couple of years. But we're anxious to get back to WDW next year.

Sorry so long - as you can see - plenty of good things to say about MB.

I hope you enjoy whatever you choose!:mickey:

McGoofy
11-18-2007, 07:50 PM
I live in Charleston, SC, so I am very familiar with the SC coast. I think with kids Myrtle Beach is a great choice. I just went there for 3 days this past July. We were able to visit Broadway at the Beach (visit to Disney store included of course),Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum, saw Le Grande Cirque at the Palace Theatre (similar to Cirque de Solei), Barefoot Landing, and of course spent lots of time in the ocean. There are many places to minature golf, amusement park type rides, water parks, etc... Lots of great places to eat at--especially at Broadway at the Beach--Johnny Rockets, Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood, Margaritaville, Senor Frogs, etc... If you are looking for a quiet area to stay in, stay on the North side of Myrtle Beach. The main drag where you hear about all the college students staying at is on Ocean Blvd. in South Myrtle.

Charleston is just a 2 hour drive from Myrtle Beach. It is a beautiful historic city (similar to Savannah, GA). There's many things to do here as well for adults and children. Isle of Palms is my favorite beach to go to.

Hilton Head is 2 hours south of Charleston. That's where the Disney Hilton Head Resort is located. You don't have to be a DVC member to stay there.

I don't know how much time you have, but maybe you could split your time in different cities.

I live here, so it doesn't seem like a vacation to me, but from what I hear people love to vacation to our city!:thumbsup: