PDA

View Full Version : The Longest Stay at Mickey's House Ever! - A pre-trip report (PART 1)

tyandskyesmom
11-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Or at least that's what the kids think!:cloud9:

I thought I started an extremely early pre-trip report already but I cannot find it so maybe I was just posting my ADRs...which have changed a few times since...so I will proceed as if I had not even begun.:confused:

This trip was dreamed up after realizing that because of the way I booked our last flights for July, I still ended up with more credits with Southwest Airlines. Not wanting to loose that I began dreaming. The credits would expire at the end of January...and that was with a six month extension already. I knew a Thanksgiving trip was not going to happen this year...not enough time to save money. So I got to looking at when else Tyler would have a school vacation. His birthday is the 29th of December and he has always asked when we could go for a long vacation, mind you, we usually go for eight or nine nights! I knew I did not want to pay for the week between Christmas and New Years and that even if I was willing we would not enjoy the crowds. So, since Tyler was off that whole next week too I figured that would be a great time to go. And since we usually take him out of school for five days after Thanksgiving we could take him out for five days after New Years too...making a twelve night vacation to the land of Mouse! He was thrilled. Skye did not care she just wanted to get back!

So I booked it with Magical Journeys. Twelve nights at Pop Century from January 1, 2008 thru January 13, 2008. :thumbsup: When AAA discounts came out she changed me to that with an eye out for Annual Pass discounts. I was intending to get the annual passes because of the days we would be there anyway. I booked ADRs at 180 days and waited for SWA to release flights and fares I could live with. We ended up deciding that the kids and I would go on the first and Lou would meet us on the fifth. I explored the DDP and the DDDP when the 2008 plans were released and added some ADRs. We finally got our flights and everything was set. Until Lou got laid off almost five weeks ago.:(

So since then I have been in a frenzy. I have gone over all my numbers and meals even to the point of eating counter service meals and ordering food from an online grocery delivery place for breakfasts and some lunches/dinners in the room - and that is totally NOT our vacationing style! Until, we found some luck and my parents decided to help us out. Phew! I could carry on...

As much as the kids and I will miss him, Lou has decided he should stay home. I don't think he is as upset about that as I would be but whatever. He has been playing Mr. Mom for the past almost five weeks so he is probably ready for a break!

:rotfl:

So my plans have changed and are scaled down still but we are able to go...and we will enjoy ourselves. So on with the pre-trip report:

Cast of Characters

Me - Mommy - will be 37 at time of trip...I enjoy nothing more than being with my kids and seeing them happy. I am the planner but cannot say that I am necessarily the biggest Disney freak at our house as I have doen a pretty good job on the kids!:mickey:

Tyler - son - brother - will be 9 at the time of the trip. He adores his baby sister but loves to get her in trouble too. He is helpful when he wants to be but can be horribly mischievious other times. I think he is a tad bit hyper but it stems partially from being so advanced so when we are out in the world he is generally very fun to be with. He loves everything Disney...even princesses! He is a dreamer and still believes in the magic of Disney World (although when he was two he could explain to us that the characters were just people with costumes on and that the castle did not really change colors it was just the lights) and Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.He loves learning, especially reading, and loves to be the "teacher". He collects elephants and I think every elephant that has ever crossed our paths now resides at our house...and he still sleeps with his large stuffed elephant, Elle.

Skyler - daughter - sister - 3 3/4 at the time of the trip. She is a mini-me of her big brother...she loves him to pieces! She is very girly but at the same time she can hold her own with Tyler any day - no dollies for this little girl! Give her a chicken and she is happy (and I am not talking food here) - Chi Chi (her much loved stuffed chick)cannot wait to go back to Mickey's House either. She is tiny...yesterday she was only at 36 inches...I don't think we will be making that 40 inch height requirement. She is less dreamy that Tyler but still likes to play along. Ever since we got home from the World in July she has asked almost every night before bed when we can go back to Mickey's house...she may be my best Disney creation! ;)

We are flying out of Midway at 6:35am on New Years Day. If it is anything like Forth of July or Thanksgiving at the airport, we should have easy sailing through check-in and security. Lou will take us and walk us in to check-in and then leave us at security. We will grab the obligatory Mc Donalds at the airport (Lou usually gets it for us) for breakfast. We should arrive in Orlando at 10:05am.

We are using DME both ways so we will head over there and hopefully arrive at Pop and check-in by 11:30am.

I decided to get only a 10 day base pass initially. Now though, I am going to get a hoppper and possibly the plus options...still undecided on that.

Our first day will be a hang out day. I initially thought we'd grab lunch at Everything Pop and then go to Downtown Disney for a while and end up around the Magic Kingdom for the EWP and to see Wishes from outside the park. If we do get the plus options on the passes we could go to Disney Quest or to the water park if it is warm enough. I figured we will just grab a counter service dinner where ever we end up.

I will post more later...

49 more days!!!

#1disneyfan
11-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Sounds like you planned a great trip. Sorry to hear about your husband and his job. We had the same problem this year too. He lost his job in May and just got back to work last week. We weren't sure if we could make our trip in July, but we were able to swing a short trip. I hope you have a great time even though your DH has to stay behind. Looking forward to the trip reports!

Bethis26fan
11-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a great plan, sorry your husband can't go with you.

faline
11-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Good luck to your husband in his job search.

Have a wonderful time at Disney World! :mickey:

DizNee143
11-14-2007, 09:28 AM
much luck to your hubby in the job search!!! my dad was out of a job for almost 2 years...i know it was very hard for my parents..but they got by!! so goodluck to him!!!!
thats great you still get to go to disney!! wish your hubby could go though!! maybe he'll surprise you guys for a few days!! how cool would that be!! either way i hope you and your kids have a magical time!!!!!:mickey:

tyandskyesmom
11-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Union Carpentry is not the place to be this winter in Chicago I guess!

We're making the best of it though...

princessgirls
11-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Sherry,

Sorry to hear about your husband's job situation. Hopefully something will happen soon on that front.

Your trip sounds great. Enjoy.

Julie:mickey:

realtreebar
11-24-2007, 11:16 AM
have a great trip!!

tyandskyesmom
12-04-2007, 09:48 AM

more

days!!!

kakn7294
12-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Sherry, I'm sorry to hear about Lou's job. I hope something comes along soon! Too bad he isn't going with you this time. I'm looking forward to reading more and I'll watch for the trip reports when you come home.

amorillo
12-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I love long Disney trips! Our longest was 14 nights! It's nice to be able to go slow... enjoy the sights... and still have time to ride everything twice!

Can't wait to read all about it when you return!

RedheadWriter
12-10-2007, 03:48 PM
:)I miss the 10 day trips we used to take a few years ago. Have a great time! Look forward to reading more about your trip

Bethanymouse
12-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your husband's lay off but I am glad to hear that you are still able to go to disney. It sounds like you have a great trip planned for the house of mouse! I cant wait to read more!