PDA

View Full Version : Still...Another Pop Century Question?

JerseyDad
11-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know when Pop Century re-structured the designation of what is a Preferred Location Room vs Standard Location Room?

We've been staying exclusively at POP since 2004...and had always requested Preferred Room location...which...was ALWAYS the 60's Buildings. In fact...we've always requested the 60's Building (specifically asking for 1st floor - poolside if possible)...and they've been very accomodating to us and assigned us just that each time we asked.

Well, we just returned from WDW (POP) on Sunday 11/11 after checking in on 11/8 after our cruise on the Disney Wonder. At check-in, we were told that our room was in the 50's Building. My wife questioned this since we had requested (and paid for) a Preferred Room location. It was then that we were told that both the 50's AND 70's Buildings were designated as Preferred Room Locations!! We were at POP last November...and this was not the case, so I'm wondering when this went into effect?

BTW...after arguing the issue with the desk attendant at check-in...my wife was able to get us a room in the 60's building....but not poolside....and pretty much at the furthest point from the pool, the dining hall building, and Petals Bar. (That kinda' bummed me out more than just a little bit since I very much look forward to my stay at POP)

JPL
11-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Yes they have added parts of the 50's and the 70's under their preferred room listings.

JerseyDad
11-13-2007, 01:42 PM
JPL: "Yes they have added parts of the 50's and the 70's under their preferred room listings".

...thanks for the confirmation. It'd be nice if the Disney Web Site would give the locations of the specified (preferred vs standard) room locations on the resort map (for those that are not already aware of the change). To some of us pickier guests....it's all about location...location....location!

Disneyatic
11-14-2007, 06:00 PM
We were suprised on our September trip when they told us that we couldn't have the location we had on our previous trip because it was no longer preferred. Our CM told us that in Jan 2007 they changed the preferred rooms to be anything within 500ft of the main building.
We REALLY loved that previous location and I was bummed that we wouldn't be able to get it again. Our room ended up being in the 60's building, but at the far end from the elevator and with a view of other rooms, it was not pleasant.

Eeyore's My Favorite
11-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Our room ended up being in the 60's building, but at the far end from the elevator and with a view of other rooms, it was not pleasant.

Sounds like you ended up in the same location we did in September. I emailed Disney with my complaints (had quite a few) & a really great CSR from Disney called me on a Saturday and discussed all my issues and actually ended up compensating us for all our problems. We paid for Preferred - ended up on the back side of the 60's - about as far away from everything we possibly could (including the elevator) and a view of absolutely nothing! (We're also AP holders.) I give Disney tons of kudos for actually reading my email and contacting me regarding the issues. We've been going to Disney since the 70's and staying on site constantly, so it was nice to feel that Disney does care!! :thumbsup: That being said, we're staying at ASMu in January to see if it's better than POP (and quieter). :mickey:

JerseyDad
11-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Sounds like you ended up in the same location we did in September. I emailed Disney with my complaints (had quite a few) & a really great CSR from Disney called me on a Saturday and discussed all my issues and actually ended up compensating us for all our problems. We paid for Preferred - ended up on the back side of the 60's - about as far away from everything we possibly could (including the elevator) and a view of absolutely nothing! (We're also AP holders.) I give Disney tons of kudos for actually reading my email and contacting me regarding the issues. We've been going to Disney since the 70's and staying on site constantly, so it was nice to feel that Disney does care!! That being said, we're staying at ASMu in January to see if it's better than POP (and quieter)

....glad that, to some extent, you got some satisfaction. The CM at the check-in desk was pretty much useless to solve the issue of being stuck at the far ends of the earth....even if they still moved us back to the 60's building. What was most frustrating of all is that our reservations were made many, many, MANY, months before....with a specific request for the Preferred Room Location (60's Building)..and the added request for 1st floor poolside. Between the initial reservation booking...and when we checked in....my wife had spoken with the reservations desk to re-affirm our requests (keeping it fresh in someone's head...and even asking that a note be added to the file). Disney did just that in the past...we were given what we asked for...and all was right with the world! (at least in my eyes).

What's bothering me (still) is that MANY people that I've spoken to in person or on-line in travel related bulletin board's (including this one) DO NOT WANT poolside rooms since they claim that it's noisy. (furthest thing from the truth actually....ooops...maybe I shouldn't have said that :secret:)

Last year...we arrived early at POP (12 noon or thereabout)...and were told that there was no room "ready" that matched our request...but...if we waited 'till about 3:30pm...they would accomodate us. Additionally...since there WAS a note on our reservation indicating our specific request....the CM indicated that our requested in room fridge for the week, would be "no charge".

Perhaps I was spoiled by the Disney CM's bending over backwards for us the first 4 times we stayed at POP & ASM?

As happy as I usually am with all aspects of the WDW experience....maybe an e-mail to Disney is warranted in this case?

DisneyOtaku
11-15-2007, 12:50 PM
See, this worries me as my first trip to at staying at the POP is coming up in December and we paid for a prefered room. Our logic for this was because we wanted to be near the bus stop. Are the prefered rooms still near there? *has no idea about the layout of the POP*

Disneyatic
11-16-2007, 02:10 PM
If what I was told was correct,preferred rooms are anything within 500 ft of main building. So this puts them close to everything (food court, gift shop, front desk, bus stops).
They are convenient and it is a BIG resort so that is a big plus.

JPL
11-16-2007, 03:09 PM
See, this worries me as my first trip to at staying at the POP is coming up in December and we paid for a prefered room. Our logic for this was because we wanted to be near the bus stop. Are the prefered rooms still near there? *has no idea about the layout of the POP*

Here is a map of Pop Century from Intercot Info Central

Pop Century Map (http://intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/popcentury07.jpg)

Eeyore's My Favorite
11-17-2007, 08:23 PM
As happy as I usually am with all aspects of the WDW experience....maybe an e-mail to Disney is warranted in this case?

Emailing Disney worked for me & I'm very satisfied with how things ended. I decided to try another Value so that I'd know whether it was just me or it was the issues at the resort. So - I'd say go for it - email them & be sure to list your phone number or cell phone number so that they can contact you. Good luck!! :mickey:

Eeyore's My Favorite
11-17-2007, 08:26 PM
If what I was told was correct,preferred rooms are anything within 500 ft of main building. So this puts them close to everything (food court, gift shop, front desk, bus stops).
They are convenient and it is a BIG resort so that is a big plus.

What you may feel is "close" and what Disney feels is "close" may end up being two different things - it certainly did for us. Especially after asking lots of questions on this board and other Disney boards, once I returned I found I wasn't the only one who had issues with the preferred rooms. As many other posters may tell you, some of the standard rooms may actually be closer and better than the preferred rooms. We found that to be true at POP after our vacation depending on the building you're assigned to. :mickey:

blue_sky_phase
11-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Jersey Dad.

I wouldn't fret it too much.

I've stayed in the 50's at POP 3 times. It's a 2 to 3 min walk at most. If you look above at JPL's map a good portion of the 50's is just as close if not closer than some of the 60's.

We stayed in the portion with the huge Tramp statue facing the pool. It was great. No noise from the pool at all until you open your door. If you call happy kids splasing about "noise."

So if you get the front section of the 50's you'll be just fine.

Cheers!

BigRedDad
11-27-2007, 11:26 AM
I am not sure when they added the other buildings to the "preferred" locations. WDW does anything they can to get more money out of you. You also have to realize that requests are just that, a request. The only thing WDW guaranteed was providing you a room in a preferred location at Pop Century. This means any room in the 60s building or a room in parts of the 50s and 70s building. It is very hard to agree with your complaint when you got what you paid for - Preferred room. The request for #1 First floor #2 Poolside #3 60s building is asking quite a bit from them. This is almost like asking for a specific room. If you get one of those requests you should be thankful, if you get two be very thankful, if you get all three be thrilled.

I know the CMs do what they can to accommodate requests, but there are no guarantees.

prshell
11-30-2007, 12:42 PM
So, what do you suggest as a "good" room location if you don't have preferred. I am taking my 3 DGC 2/2 - 2/8. They are 4, 3, and 1. I got AAA rate, but they didn't have the preferred room rate.

squijee
11-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I know the new rule for preferred is 500 feet , but exactly which rooms it the 50's section does this include?:confused:

Disneyatic
11-30-2007, 02:43 PM
We have only stayed in the 60's section but I think the 50's is set up the same so I am basing my assumption of the 60's.
I don't know for sure but I would guess that the elevators in each building are about the 1/2 way point thru and this is usually where the big icon is (playdoh can, Mowgli). So what I thought was that it would be anything from closest to the main building until the elevator that would be the 500ft range.

I hope that makes sense? I am using a mental image to make my comparison :thumbsup:

squijee
11-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah, that makes some sense, but remember this is Disney and they have their own way of doing everything...I want to stay in the 50's bldg, but I am not paying for a preferred room...We are taking my Mom for her birthday and this is where she wants to be...thanks for the info:thumbsup:

Eeyore's My Favorite
11-30-2007, 09:53 PM
We have only stayed in the 60's section but I think the 50's is set up the same so I am basing my assumption of the 60's.
I don't know for sure but I would guess that the elevators in each building are about the 1/2 way point thru and this is usually where the big icon is (playdoh can, Mowgli). So what I thought was that it would be anything from closest to the main building until the elevator that would be the 500ft range.

I hope that makes sense? I am using a mental image to make my comparison :thumbsup:

We were quite a ways away from the elevators in what we were told was a "preferred" room in the 60's. Not exactly what I pictured preferred to be, but that's what CM's have told me & alot of posters on this board too. We're trying ASMu for our next vacation as this last one at POP wasn't as "magical" as anticipated. Good luck! :mickey:

bshaw96
12-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Ohh, I so feel your pain. I don't remember exactly what building we were in last trip, but we too had requested a preferred location b/c I had hurt my knee and didn't want to do anymore walking than I had to. (Funny I know as I was at Disney) Plus, we wanted to be close to the pool/food courts. Well, our room was almost beside the outer parking lot, not even facing the courts. I was ticked, as we were paying 10 more a night than the people directly across from us simply b/c they called our building preferred. I then asked if we could at least have ground level, and they said sorry, just use the elevator. We were on the 3rd floor. I don't know if the girl was having a bad day or what, as we really were being polite about it. Looking back, should've went above her, but we were tired and ready to crash and didn't have the energy to put up a fight. That was not Disney magic I was feeling that trip!

Mickey91
12-04-2007, 10:22 PM
We had paid for a preferred room in 2005 at Pop and got in the 60's section but were in the furthest building from Classic Hall that I think possible in the last room on the back side of the building. I complained and we were able to switch the next day. They made a good argument. For some folks, we had the perfect room. A view of hourglass lake, peace and quiet, ducks... But for us, preferred meant poolside and food in close proximity. I guess it is all how you look at it. I will say that some of the 50's and 70's rooms are way closer and better than the 60's room we started off in.

And, I don't think you are unreasonable for being upset. Disney has been making a habit of sucking out the magic and upping the price a little more each year. Have you noticed all the new premium pricing for weekends and holidays at the resorts and now the restaurants? Anything they think they can make a buck on. Now, with more people requesting the preferred rooms, they just make more rooms fit into the preferred catagory.

MrsDevlin2007
12-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Disney will be receiving an e-mail complaint from my DH and I as well. It was our honeymoon and honestly, it was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. I was so upset by everything. We paid for a Preferred room and got a view of absolutely nothing (no pool, nada). We also requested a King sized bed, as it was our honeymoon, both while making the reservation and again 2 days before we checked in and nothing. They said they'd get us into a King room mid-week and never called and when I questioned them about it, all I got was the run around. Way to make my honeymoon completely un-magical. What is going on with Disney?

Eeyore's My Favorite
12-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Disney will be receiving an e-mail complaint from my DH and I as well. It was our honeymoon and honestly, it was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. I was so upset by everything. We paid for a Preferred room and got a view of absolutely nothing (no pool, nada). We also requested a King sized bed, as it was our honeymoon, both while making the reservation and again 2 days before we checked in and nothing. They said they'd get us into a King room mid-week and never called and when I questioned them about it, all I got was the run around. Way to make my honeymoon completely un-magical. What is going on with Disney?

Do email them - we got satisfaction!! We paid for a preferred room & requested a King bed - our "supposed preferred" room had a view of absolutely nothing & when we checked in there were no king beds available - we were celebrating our 22nd anniversary - so we had 2 double beds - not exactly what we wanted. I got a great phone call from a CSR from WDW vacations and compensation. Also an explanation for alot of things, so I did end up feeling much better about WDW & POP Century after that. Plus we're AP holders & had planned a few more vacations. However, next trip we're going to ASMu & hoping for a much quieter pace than POP.

Noahrk
12-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Where do you e-mail your complaints?

JPL
12-10-2007, 10:39 PM
We paid for a Preferred room and got a view of absolutely nothing (no pool, nada).

A preffered room is strictly based on distance to the main building it does not have to do with a view

As for the King Beds they are extremely limited in the Value resorts and most are in Handicap Accessible rooms.

PirateLover
12-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Just a tip to those wanting to be close to everything. We were in the 80s section on our most recent stay. Room 9108 right next to the 90s parking lot and a mere 3 minute walk (if that) to bus stops/everything pop/classic hall. We also had the computer pool right outside our door. That being said there were some issues with the actual room (more on that in my upcoming trip report... I swear it is coming soon!) but the location was pretty darn good in my book.

texasteacher
01-05-2008, 12:41 PM
I just got back from Pop (visited 12/27 through 1/2) and stayed in a great standard room in the 50s which was closer than our preferred room in the 60s that we had before. The problem was that it was poolside and we had to listen to non-stop screaming from the pool inhabitants until it closed at midnight. According to the pool rules, 10 Pm to midnight is supposed to be a "quiet" pool time. Since the lifeguards leave at 10, this rule is not enforced. I will request a room away from a pool next time!

jszczur5
01-07-2008, 02:07 AM
We have stayed at POP on our last two trips, and both times we were as far away from the food court as you could get- once in the far end of the 90's and then at the end of the 50's facing the new construction. But to be honest, the difference in walking time between our standard location and a preferred (read - more money) location was a minute or two at most. Here's what made me feel better: The average person on the DDP gains 6.7 lbs in 7 days. We were on DDP for 9 days, and because I was the one doing all the walking back and forth (those darn re-fillable mugs), I didn't gain a single pound.
I will complain, however, about having to pass through two smoking areas each way. I would just hold my breath and walk even faster.

glenpreece
01-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I love staying at Pop and would rather be in a 90's or 80's room than any other. I have stayed in the 50's buildings twice and the 90's twice. I prefer the 90's because you can cut through the parking lot so easily and get right to the bus stops. I hate staying in the 50's section because you have to walk over that awful cobblestone walkway. Even though it is going to be our Honeymoon I hope we get a 2 dbl bed room, I still like sleeping alone lol!!!!

Teay
01-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I love staying at Pop and would rather be in a 90's or 80's room than any other. I have stayed in the 50's buildings twice and the 90's twice. I prefer the 90's because you can cut through the parking lot so easily and get right to the bus stops....

I was working at Pop Century when the preferred classification was expanded (back in late 2006). So many guests were wanting rooms on the ground floor in buildings closest to Classic Hall that the decision was made to include these in preferred status. Glenpreece, I agree with you: anywhere around the computer pool is a great spot, once you figure out how to cut across and through the resort and parking lots. Plus, the computer pool is a very quiet pool even though it's so big.

Actually, I've found this to be true at all the resorts: it takes me a couple of days to really learn my way around the resort, finding all the short-cuts and the special little hidden treasures. It always seems that, on my very last day, I find the greatest route from point A to point B! :rolleyes:

PS: I'd like to take this time to thank MsMin for the amazingly spiffy new avatar I have! Didn't she do just an incredible job? :thumbsup:You rock, MsMin! :notworth: