PDA

View Full Version : WDW w/ baby

maizey05
11-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Ok, so here's my dilemma:
DH and I agreed on a trip to WDW, this January. I started planning and was going to book the trip. Then, DH changed his mind, and said WDW would be far too difficult w/ DS (will be 11 months then). He is worried about naps (he hasn't napped in a stroller, ever), and just thinking it would be too much for DS to handle. He wants to take him when he's 4-6ish. DH says we wouldn't get to do much anyway, so why go? Just lately he told me, if I thought it would work out ok, to book the trip. AAARRGGG! I was planning to book a monorail hotel, or WL, so we would be close ( for napping purposes etc). Also, I figured that since we would be in the room more this time, it would be nice to have one that is more spacious and comfortable. What do you think? Is it worth doing, or is DH right?

kakn7294
11-10-2007, 02:58 PM
We took DD when she was 13 mo old. We stayed at ASSp and never went back to the room for naps. When she was tired, she slept in her stroller and we used baby swap for the attactions she couldn't ride during those times. If it's within the budget though, I'd book a bigger room as baby stuff takes up quite a bit of room! There's quite a bit a baby can enjoy - most of the rides without height restrictions are easily doable. The baby centers in each park are great for a quick break or any forgotten supplies. One of my favorite memories from that trip was of her grabbing Mickey's nose and laying a big kiss right on the tip - I get teary thinking about it now, 11 years later! Of course, she doesn't remember it but we have pictures and stories that she loves to share. I'd definately do it all over again in a heartbeat!!!

magicofdisney
11-10-2007, 04:55 PM
My oldest was 6mos for his first trip to Disney. Like Kathy's baby, he slept in the stroller when he got tired. I can't say for sure that he'd ever napped in a stroller either, but he did a couple of times that day (it was a day trip). He did fabulous. My youngest was 9mos his first trip and did just as well. He's been going almost every month of his life since then. In reality, Disney can be very simple with a baby. :mickey:

faline
11-10-2007, 06:54 PM
As long as you can be flexible and return to your room for naps, if needed, why not?! I'll bet you'll make some wonderful memories!

vamaggie
11-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Our DD never slept in the stroller either. We took her to WW when she was 18 mos. We stayed in WL and went back for naps. It was a nice break for DH (who also napped with her!) and DS(7 at the time) and I got some time at the pool, shops, other activities etc. DD loved the characters and had a great time meeting and hugging them all. She also rode a lot of the smaller rides (Small World, Peter pan, Dumbo and like rides, Pooh etc). Our last trip we stayed at Poly and were amazed at how huge the room was--definately enough room for all baby stuff and still room to move. If you can swing the cost and don't mind missing (or riding alone) the big rides I would say go for it.

Buttercup
11-11-2007, 08:59 AM
I've gone to WDW with my son who was 6 months old, then when he was 18 months old... and the last time, we went with my 2 neices who were both 10 months old.

Let me just say that with sooo much activity going on around them, their nap schedules will be quite different than when you're at home! They get so wiped out, even at that age, just watching stuff and going on rides, etc. that they will fall asleep a lot easier than you might expect. It is TOTALLY do-able. Actually, I found that taking younger babies is a lot more relaxing than taking a 3 or 4 year old because it kind-of forces you to slow down and relax!

The next time we go (in May) we'll have our brand new 4 month old coming with us as well! I can't wait!

TheRustyScupper
11-11-2007, 11:18 AM
DH changed his mind, and said WDW would be far too difficult w/ DS (will be 11 months then) . . .He wants to take him when he's 4-6ish. DH says we wouldn't get to do much anyway, so why go?

1) I agree with your DH.
2) You and he would not get the full WDW enjoyment.
3) Sure, some people do Baby Swap.
4) But, isn't it more fun to ride with you spouse, then separately?
5) At 4-6ish, all could ride many rides together.

teambricker04
11-11-2007, 07:48 PM
It really depends on how well you travel together. We just got back from WDW the other day with our DSs ages almost three and 5 months. Our oldest had gone for the first time when he was 10 mo, and this was the baby's first trip. We have been 5 times with the oldest, and I think the first trip when he was 10mo was the easiest.

Babies can ride a lot more of the rides that you imagine. We always wait until one of the is asleep to ride a big thrill ride. Still, there is plenty of things for everyone. (I never mind the ride alone, it is like a mini vacation for me :secret:)

Our youngest had never ever slept in his stroller until last week. If they get tired enough they will sleep where ever. Even our DS#1 slept in the stroller a couple of times for more than an hour! Big accomplishment for a kid! The baby liked sleeping in the baby bjorn with his head dangling. Really.

I think if you are going to do it and can afford to stay in a deluxe, do it! Going back for naps will be a lot easier.

Personally I don't think you should skip out on WDW just because you have a little person. (Unless you can only go once.) The parks are very equipt for little ones!

gerald72
11-11-2007, 08:57 PM
If you wait until the baby is 4-6, WDW will still be there.

Dyanna
11-13-2007, 01:31 PM
We returned from WDW a month ago w/DD whom was 10 months old. We had no problems with her at all. She did fall asleep in the stroller when she was tired enough. DH & I used the rider swap passes they give out so neither of us missed any of the rides. We made dinner reservations during DD's awake hours knowing that we would not be able to take her stroller inside with us. We used WDW bus transportation & had no problems with her stroller getting on or off the bus & we even used her jogging stroller. All of her supplies, diapers, formula, food etc was shipped to the hotel 3 days before we arrived which helped out sooo much & would definately do this one again. She met with tons of characters & loved every one of them. Not a tear was shed. All in all we would have no problems with taking a baby into WDW this young.

Disney1977
11-13-2007, 01:59 PM
We went with a 6 month old and a 4 year old and did just fine. The baby slept in the stroller and the Bjorn. We never returned to Fort Wilderness for naps.

Go and have fun.

pookiebear38
11-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Our DD's first trip was when she was 13 months old. We're lucky, though, because we've always traveled with my parents. Baby swap worked out really well that way!:D Because we chose to spend all day in the parks and not go back for naps, etc., we took a nice stroller with us that trip. My favorite pic is of her sleeping in the stroller, laying down all sprawled out, with Snow White's red kiss still on her cheek from her visit!
As I said, we were lucky because we traveled with extra people. I doubt if we would ever go without them.

kakn7294
11-13-2007, 03:41 PM
5) At 4-6ish, all could ride many rides together.You know Rusty, this isn't necessarily a valid argument either. My DD will be 8 yo in 3 weeks and is still too short for any 51 - 52 inch height requirement attractions and it was iffy for some other attractions just 11 months ago, the first time she was tall enough to ride most of the rides but at that point, she was scared and wouldn't ride them.

Financially, it makes more sense to go now as well. If this family waits until the little one is 4 - 6 years old, that will be 3 - 5 years away. Not only will hotel and theme parks costs have risen (again...), but they will have to pay for any child over the age of 2. Plus, there could potentially be another baby in the picture at that point and then they'll be waiting another 3 - 6 years for that little one to be "old enough" and the vicious cycle continues. Maybe by the time their kids are of an appropriate age, the oldest one doesn't want to go. There are plenty of arguments on both sides. Bottom line for me is that I say go now if you can!

mickey&missy
11-13-2007, 09:24 PM
I totally agree with the point that if your flexible go for it!!!

Our youngest DS will be 9 months when we go to WDW in March. I really don't foresee any problems. If I need to, I'll take him back to the hotel during the day for a nap. We're staying at Poly for that very reason, easy access.

Definitely think about shipping the baby needs as another poster mentioned. I'll definitely be doing that.

I say, imho, go and have a great time!!

SAHDad
11-14-2007, 04:47 PM
We went with our son when he was about 9 months, then again when he was about 2, and we are taking him and our daughter in Jan, at (roughly) 4 years (him) and 11 months (her). The key is flexability - be willing to leave for a bit if need be, or to find a quiet area and just stop for a bit. Yeah, you don't get the whole "Disney experience," but you do get fond memories, like our son K. giving Tigger a huge hug, or kissing Minnie's nose.

We did not ship most of the baby supplies. We carried down enough diapers and some of the formula and baby food, but also did a grocery run at the beginning for the rest of it. By the time we were coming back, all the space that the diapers, etc had occupied were holding Disney souvenirs instead.

teambricker04
11-14-2007, 05:12 PM
We did not ship most of the baby supplies. We carried down enough diapers and some of the formula and baby food, but also did a grocery run at the beginning for the rest of it. By the time we were coming back, all the space that the diapers, etc had occupied were holding Disney souvenirs instead.

:) Our bags too!!! Diapers for stuff :)

We went to the grocery when we got there. We just made sure we had enough for one full day. Plus, if you child has a seat on the plane you get two extra bags... it didn't matter how many we had because we used ME.

maizey05
11-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all your advice on taking a baby to WDW...
Unfortunately, DH has said that we will not be going this year. For various reasons, we will not be taking a vacation of any kind. :(
I was really excited for this trip, and thought DS would have so much fun. (He loved all the attention he got on our last vacation, and the photos would have been priceless.) Thanks again.

poeticeclipse
11-15-2007, 11:02 AM
My opinion is... as long as you know what you are getting yourself into... go for it!

Strollers can be a pain and you may need to hurry and exit and attraction before it starts if your infant gets cranky. I've talked to TOO many people that think that their baby is going to remember meeting Mickey for the first time or seeing Cinderella's castle for the first time.... well, they won't. You have to remember that taking the trip with an infant is most likely not for the infant but for you. Which, is just wonderful. It's great to be able to see your child meet Mickey and even snap a few photographs. The trip will probably not feel like your normal Disney trip since you have to plan so differently.

Just keep those things in mind and make sure you are happy with whatever you choose to do!

kakn7294
11-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all your advice on taking a baby to WDW...
Unfortunately, DH has said that we will not be going this year. For various reasons, we will not be taking a vacation of any kind. :(
I was really excited for this trip, and thought DS would have so much fun. (He loved all the attention he got on our last vacation, and the photos would have been priceless.) Thanks again.Sorry to hear that. I hope whatever the problem is quickly resolves and things turn around for you.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Sorry to hear your vacation has been postponed until a future date. I think you would have been fine with the little one. Hopefully you'll be able to reschedule soon.