PDA

View Full Version : Target Refusing to Print Photopass Pics

pixiegoose
11-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I wasn't quite sure where to post this so Mods feel free to move.

We were at Disney World in September and decided to purchase our Photopass picture CD when we got home. I added borders and icons to quite a few them before purchasing the CD. We got the CD a few weeks ago. Today I burned some of them onto a CD with some of our own pictures to use for scrapbooking and then took them to Target to get printed. They refused to print the Photopass pictures (well, the ones with borders/icons- they can't tell the ones without), even with the copyright release. They said it was against company policy. Personally, I call foul on this but was wondering if anyone else has ever had a problem with Target refusing to print Photopass pictures even with copyright release.

I'm just frustrated, as we always print our pics at Target and have never had a problem before. :mad:

princessM0m
11-09-2007, 03:09 PM
I did the FP CD a couple of years ago and Target never asked me for the release. My photos did not have borders, though--the CM never offered that feature to me.

I would take it up with the store manager or the district manager if necessary. There is a reason the release comes with the CD and the store should honor it.

CaptainSad
11-09-2007, 03:28 PM
We have CVS's in our area. They will not under any circumstances print Professional pictures with or without a release.

caryrae
11-09-2007, 03:39 PM
That's why I love having a photo printer. I can print any pictures in many different sizes we want. The pics look just as good as anybody's as long as it's a decent printer. Just use some glossy paper and you can't tell who printed it. You can find a decent for $150 maybe less.

Basically that's what places that print picture use anyway I am sure.

rmfreder
11-09-2007, 03:51 PM
We recently returned from a trip to WDW and also bought the Photopass CD. I had absolutely no problem having the pictures developed at Sam's Club. There were pictures in the order that I had added the Disney borders to. I picked up my order with no questions asked.

Catwillow
11-09-2007, 03:52 PM
but on the other hand I have never had a problem printing them at Walmart!

IloveJack
11-09-2007, 03:55 PM
I didn't have a problem with Wal-Mart. Even if they suspect copyright infringement, they'll still print them, and just make you sign a waiver, to cover themselves.

I used to work at Target, and it was my understanding that all photo labs were going to self-serve. Is yours still an actual lab with workers?

caryrae
11-09-2007, 03:57 PM
I didn't have a problem with Wal-Mart. Even if they suspect copyright infringement, they'll still print them, and just make you sign a waiver, to cover themselves.

I used to work at Target, and it was my understanding that all photo labs were going to self-serve. Is yours still an actual lab with workers?

Cub Foods has the self serve ones too. At least the one by us had one put a few months ago.

SurferStitch
11-09-2007, 04:10 PM
That's why I love Shutterfly....I've never had a problem printing Photpass images, borders or not. I've also made my own borders using Disney clipart, and Shutterfly had no issue with them at all.

And....their prices are excellent! :thumbsup:

pixiegoose
11-09-2007, 04:12 PM

Ours is self-serve in that we put our cd/memory card in the kiosk and choose our pics and sizes. But there are actual workers who print them and ring them up. So I guess it's half and half.

It looks like we might be going to WalMart to do them. We do have photo paper and a decent printer to do them at home but for the number we want to print, that's going to go through a lot of ink and it will just be cheaper to do it at a store.

cfoshe
11-10-2007, 09:25 AM
I know at my local Walmart, I can put the cd in the machine, choose the pics I want, choose the size, then hit print and they print out right there. That it to the photo counter and give the workere the number, he rings it up, gives me a sleeve or two to put the pics in and I am on my way.

Here we go again...
11-11-2007, 04:36 AM
As the world of digital came along I am sure many of you watched your local photo labs go from slammin busy to standing around with nothing to do.

I used to be a district photo trainer for Eckerd which is now CVS. The copyright laws on photos are very clear. If you have a release from the photographer/owner of the image, you can have them reproduced. This was always a problem in the past because most people did not understand that the photographer still owned the image even if you paid for the photos... you own the photo, just not the image on it. :D

Now that photo labs are not so busy, training is not being done by many companies at all any more. What a shame.
I still work for CVS, but I print my photos at Sams... they do a great job and still train the employees properly. If I have a photo that comes out green I want someone who understands complimentary colors to be able to color correct the problem.

Tekneek
11-11-2007, 07:44 AM
This is where the overly restrictive copyright laws in this nation cause problems.

LibertyTreeGal
11-11-2007, 10:00 AM
No problem for me at Wal-Mart :thumbsup:

These restrictions are getting crazy -- Staples wouldn't allow me to photocopy MY OWN COLLEGE DIPLOMA, even with ID shown, for display on my own wall :mad:

Stormer
11-11-2007, 06:27 PM
I have printed my PhotoPass pictures (with borders and signatures) through Shutterfly and Snapfish. Never had a problem with either place.