PDA

View Full Version : # of tents

kimommy63
11-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Hello,
I was just wondering. My husband and I are planning a trip for after tax return arrives (as is becoming tradition for us!) and we were kicking around the idea of camping :camp:since the driving :drive:option is now possible. We moved to Maryland from North Dakota and that makes it much more doable and we like the idea of having our own transportation:truck: and the ability to bring alot more stuff with us. Anyhoo, the question is: we still only tent camp as we havent been able to jump up to a pop up or rv yet. But we do have a few tents to accomondate both of us and our son and we like to have a third small one for our gear. Finally we like to have a screen tent for sitting in/dining in, etc. Thats 4 structures. Only one vehicle though. Would there be additional charges for that?:confused:

medic9016
11-09-2007, 09:37 AM
I do not think you will have any extra charges. I think the extra charges are for extra people. Depending on the size of the 4 tents, you may find it hard to fit them all in the space to stake them down. But it can be done.

The option we did was left our screen tent on the concrete pad and ran longer ropes to the dirt to stake them down.

ibrowse17
11-09-2007, 10:09 AM
I have seen two and three tents in a site before, but there is a limit to how many folks can stay in one site. I do not remember that number off hand, but it is at least eight. Disney does not charge for the extra tents, but will charge a fee for having more than 2 adults in a site. This additional adult fee was something like $2 or so per adult per night. Have a great trip:thumbsup:

Buttercup
11-09-2007, 12:24 PM
For a partial hookup site (which is all you'd need if you're tent camping) you can probably fit 2 good sized tents.
We had our one tent, plus room for lawn chairs etc. around it. They give you a picnic table so that takes up some of the area, and a barbecue as well. I don't think you'd get all 4 tents up. Here's a link to a picture of my sister's campsite when she went tent-camping (I don't have any photos of mine) but it gives you an idea of the space you get.
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1401140366045223791osBjPb?vhost=travel

LONESTAR
11-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Me and the DW bought a trailer. But when I was a kid we had 3 tents and a pop up camper on one site. A lot just depends on the site you get. The first time I took my wife we slept in a tent behind my parents 30' travel trailer. Then my sister and her husband pitched a tent next to us, we had enough space. Just don't forget your bikes or a golf cart.:cap:

Tink's Friend
11-14-2007, 09:33 PM
As others have already said, your biggest problem is going to be fitting everything onto your site. Some of the loops are used for tent camping and popups, and the area on those sites is pretty limited.

Disney does sometimes put tent campers in the loops with RVs, which have larger sites. I'm not sure what criteria they use when they decide to place tents in the RV loops--whether it's just for when the tent loops are full or what. I do know that if you have a Magical Gathering and reserve multiple sites, they'll try to keep your Gathering together, so that might play into it.

If I were you, I'd ask them to put a request on your reservation stating that you're requesting the largest site available for tent camping since you'll have multiple tents. That won't guarantee that you'll get a larger site, but it will increase your odds if any are available.

Suzanne Q
Bristol, TN

medic9016
11-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Disney does sometimes put tent campers in the loops with RVs, which have larger sites. I'm not sure what criteria they use when they decide to place tents in the RV loops--whether it's just for when the tent loops are full or what. I do know that if you have a Magical Gathering and reserve multiple sites, they'll try to keep your Gathering together, so that might play into it.

You can put tents in any loop. Just depends on what you pay for. Two years ago we had our tent in the 200 loop. There where two other sites in there with tents. It's pretty funny to have your tent between two Class A RVs.

faline
11-17-2007, 06:43 PM
We always paid for the preferred loops even though we were in a tent. The electric and water came in handy. And, yes, we were in the position of camping between Class A's. The only issue with this is that those air conditioning units on the RV's can get rather noisy!

Buttercup
11-18-2007, 11:07 AM
We always paid for the preferred loops even though we were in a tent. The electric and water came in handy.
You do get water and electricity on the non-preferred sites as well. I believe the preferred sites also have the feature of sewer hookup and cable television hookup... stuff you don't really need when you're tent camping. But if you want the preferred location, you do indeed get more room! It just costs a little more!

faline
11-18-2007, 04:10 PM
You do get water and electricity on the non-preferred sites as well. I believe the preferred sites also have the feature of sewer hookup and cable television hookup... stuff you don't really need when you're tent camping. But if you want the preferred location, you do indeed get more room! It just costs a little more!

Shows how long it's been since we camped there! In those days, only the preferred sites had the electric and water and there was not cable tv hookup!

medic9016
11-19-2007, 04:05 PM

We had a TV in our tent and had a portable sink that had running water and hooked into the sewer. Now those days of lugging all that around are over for us:D. It's just depends on what you want to bring while camping. You don't have to be limited just because your in a tent. Have a great time.

This is a big setup, not ours though.
PICTURE (http://www.title-3.com/images/IntCamp.jpg)