PDA

View Full Version : Auqa Dots Recall

tennantsrwe
11-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi everyone.
Just wanted to pass on some valuble information concerning the AQUA DOTS toys. They have been recalled by the Consumer Saftey Administration. The small dots have been found to contain the date rap drug, GHB, and two children have been hospitalized after swallowing them. I know these are very popular among kids, we bought out DD a set for Christmas....but they are going back ASAP. Hope this might help someone else, too.

ibrowse17
11-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I have no idea what these things are, and after what I heard on the news this morning I want nothing to do with them. To think what these things can do to a child:mad: I really hope someone pays the price for allowing this to happen.

SBETigg
11-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Actually, from what I heard, they don't contain the date rape drug. They contain ingredients that when brought together turn into something with a similar effect in the system. I don't think it was intentional on part of the maker, and the intended market audience is kids you would normally think of as old enough to know not to ingest it. But things happen, and now that they know, yes, it's off the market.

GHB is a mix of chemicals that you find in average, every day products so it is not too shocking, to me, that you find that effect in a toy that is basically liquid chemical. It's unfortunate and good to know if your kids currently have the product.

PirateLover
11-08-2007, 10:39 AM
A popular toy that just about every child wants should be taken out of their hands immediately.

A children's toy being pulled from shelves Wednesday evening after it was discovered that it contains a chemical that converts into the date rape drug if swallowed.

Aqua Dots are a Chinese made art toy that allows you to arrange color beads and fuse them together with water. Wednesday stores like Target and Walmart are taking them off the shelves and the government is recalling millions of the packets.

The problem is scientists said the beads contain a chemical that the human body metabolizes into the so-called date rape drug gamma hydroxy butyrate. When eaten, the compound made from common and easily available ingredients can induce unconsciousness, seizures, drowsiness, coma and death.

Disneyatic
11-08-2007, 12:15 PM
We just bought these on Saturday for DD for Christmas! Needless to say, they will be going back this weekend.
I am bummed because she was really excited about this toy!

I read on yahoo news that they found out that a chemical called something like 1,4 ethyl was approved by the the FDA for use on the toy, but they just discover that the mfg in China used 1,5 ethyl instead. They said that it isn't approved and they aren't sure why the change was made. It also noted that the difference in price of the two chemicals was significant-the one that was supposed to be used was like $9800 per metric ton and the one that was actually used was $2800 metric ton. They are pointing fingers at this.

It is unfortunate and scary! I hope Toys R Us lets me return it at the store so I don't have to go through the pain of dealing straight with the manufacturer.

thrillme
11-08-2007, 12:37 PM
I haven't bought these for my DS because he has no interest in them...I was thinking of buying them for my neice.

I am NOT siding with the company for letting this chemical pass...no way no how....BUT... there is another side of the coin. WHY were these kids "consuming" them? They have warnings NOT to consume them...I've had LOTS of different items in my son's younger days that if I thought for a moment that he did not understand "don't put it in your mouth"...I would sit with him while we worked on the project.

Fortunately is sounds like both children injured have come out ok. Hopefully their parents will get after them about putting stuff in their mouths or withholding things that they are likely too. Unfortunately AquaDots made it sound like it was only "water" and that is obviously quite misleading.

PirateLover
11-08-2007, 01:37 PM
The toys were labeled to be safe for children 4 years and up. Kids put things in their mouth no matter what parents may say. Backs can turn for a second and before you know it, it's in the mouth. I'm not going to blame the parents on this one.
I think it's important they get all of these off of the shelves not only for the safety of children but also now that the word is out I'm sure their are those looking to get a cheap high who would use this product to do so now that this info has been released.

magicofdisney
11-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Wow, I'm so glad I found this out before we bought them. My girls really wanted them for Christmas. They're 7 and know better than to put things in their mouth, but the youngest twin still has a mouth fetish. She sticks stuff in her mouth ALL the time. I'm glad to hear the children are ok, but what a scary experience for that family.

mjaclyn
11-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm going to make an effort to by DD toys that are made in the USA from now on. All of these recalls from lead paint and now this?? I was just looking on one of the recall sites and saw that a set of DD's blocks have been recalled because of the lead - she puts them in her mouth all the time!! It's such a shame that now we have to worry about our children's toys harming them.

Dsnygirl
11-08-2007, 05:07 PM
:( wow - I'm so glad I saw this thread - I just bought them 2 days ago for my girls for Christmas!! They really wanted them... sigh!! I hope I can return them... I really don't want to have to deal w/ the manufacturer. Okay... guess I'll have to add something back to their list... ;) How very sad that children got hurt from them - I'm glad to hear they're doing okay. And I agree about not blaming the parents - my girls are 6 and 9, and although I trust them not to put things in they're mouth, when you're making something w/ water -- who knows what they'll think??? And what about animals in the house? My dog has eaten his fair share of Perler beads if they've been left out... :blush:

mickey&missy
11-08-2007, 06:57 PM
I can't believe this. Nothing is safe!

My MIL bought them for DD and DS for christmas because they REALLY wanted them.

They just said on the news that more kids got sick then they originally thought.

It's just terrible that we have to wonder about the safety of ever little thing now!