PDA

View Full Version : You May Find This Hard to Believe, But...

monkeycity
11-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Well, my family and I were thinking about just going to the Disney property to shop in some of the little shops they have around, like in the hotels and stuff. Do you think it's possible? We love to shop anywhere :D, and we thought it'd be fun to ride the monorail and the boats around to different places... just to sightsee :blush:
P.s. I know we'd have to pay for parking, but it'd be worth it for a day of Disney's magical shopping :cloud9:

Piglet822
11-08-2007, 06:42 AM
There is no charge to park at Disney resorts, unless you use valet parking. You're more than welcome to visit any of the hotels - just let the security guard know your reason for visiting. Some resorts will issue you a 3 hour parking pass.
Don't forget about all the great shops at DD as well!! :shop:

DDuck66
11-08-2007, 09:29 AM
We live about an hour away and a lot of times we will spend half a day at DTD and the other half "resort hopping". We try and go see a new resort every time we do this. It should be no problem. We usually go to DTD first and then catch a bus to one of the resorts.

bleukarma
11-08-2007, 09:35 AM
I do this all the time, it's a great way to get a Disney fix! I'm looking forward to doing this at Christmas time! Have fun!!! :mickey:

Ian
11-08-2007, 10:55 AM
If I lived close by, I can tell you I'd do this all the time. Sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon!

snowflakegirl
11-08-2007, 11:47 AM
If I lived close by, I can tell you I'd do this all the time. Sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon!

:ditto: I would love to be able to do this.

busterthebronco
11-08-2007, 05:04 PM
i flew my wife down last Christmas to do all our Christmas shopping.

she took an early flight out of atlanta and a late flight home.
she shipped the presents home.
she did all her shopping at DTD but wants to do it again sometime but using the monorail and the resorts on it.
it was my present to her.
;)

Fallendroplet
11-09-2007, 03:07 PM
There is no problem shopping at the little shops in the hotels. Certain hotels have security gates and will give you a three hour parking pass. Other hotels, such as Pop Century have no time limit on parking. It is possible to park at the MK parking lot...and pay oodles to park...and just take the monorail around to the monorail resorts. Personally though, I would recommend driving to each resort individually...don't forget to hit DTD and DBW. Have a great time! :tink:

Catwillow
11-10-2007, 12:13 AM
I live 1 1/2 hrs south east of WDW (in Melbourne). When I had my season pass there were blackout dates and I would just go and park @ Downtown Disney and take a bus to one of the MK resorts and Monorail it to all of them, then take the boat to Wilderness Lodge. Then hop over to MGM and take the boat over to the Resorts from there. It's a great way to get around the World and get the Disney Fix. Also, during the holiday season it's an easy way to "see everything" without having to cram it all in during your days at one of the parks.

Crystal Palace
11-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Well, my family and I were thinking about just going to the Disney property to shop in some of the little shops they have around, like in the hotels and stuff. Do you think it's possible? We love to shop anywhere :D, and we thought it'd be fun to ride the monorail and the boats around to different places... just to sightsee :blush:
P.s. I know we'd have to pay for parking, but it'd be worth it for a day of Disney's magical shopping :cloud9:

My friend and I did that in March. We went up on a Saturday to do some shopping and resort-hopping, then came back Sunday evening. It was fun, but I would never go back up there without going to the theme parks. It's just too heartbreaking hehe!

You don't have to pay to park at Downtown Disney.

sagitarius
11-19-2007, 05:12 PM
:confused:
You mean to tell me that it's possible to not visit a park when you're on property?

HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!?!!?!

mickey&missy
11-19-2007, 07:41 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Crystal Palace
11-19-2007, 08:45 PM
You mean to tell me that it's possible to not visit a park when you're on property?

HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!?!!?!

It's possible...but it's not recommended!:fit:

Tink#64
11-20-2007, 12:08 AM
OMG! I can't imagine visiting WDW & not going to the parks. But if I lived close I would definitely visit the shops & resorts whenever I could! I keep trying to talk DH into moving to FL! I hate winter & to have mostly warmer weather, beaches close by, &WDW, it would be a dream!:cloud9:

gerald72
11-20-2007, 07:53 AM

Sounds like fun.
Hey, I'm by no means a stickler for the rules, but aren't only resort guests and theme park guests supposedly allowed to use Disney transportation?
I know they don't check ID, but I was just curious what others had to say about that.

baby minnie's mommy
11-20-2007, 01:48 PM
I think the transportation is accessable for anyone, regardless whether you're staying there. They're not going to say "come use the boat but don't stay at our hotel." :) But letting people use the transportation means more people there spending money shopping and eating.

The time-limit for parking at some of the resorts helps keep people from avoiding the parking fee and filling the lots at the hotel while they go to a park. Same thing with stopping the DTD buses to the parks - people were probably filling the DTD parking lot and avoiding the fee.

Guests using the monorail have to pay one way or another - parking fee, paying extra to get an annual pass, or staying at a Disney hotel, etc.

If you rent a water craft, I think they check your resort i.d., but not for boarding ferry type boats taking you from one spot to another.

The pools are for resort guests only, I think for safety reasons?

So have fun shopping, sounds like a nice relaxing vacation! You'll get to pay more attention to parts of Disney you don't normally notice!

bfbulldog
11-26-2007, 10:53 AM
That's a great idea, my wife and I did just that on our honeymoon and it was great, granted we were staying onsite and were there to visit the parks but we did take two full days and just rode the monorail, buses and water shuttles to all of the Disney hotels to check them out, shop and enjoy. Have fun, it's definitely a unique experience and worthwhile to do

Tinkerfreak
11-26-2007, 02:57 PM
i flew my wife down last Christmas to do all our Christmas shopping.

she took an early flight out of atlanta and a late flight home.
she shipped the presents home.
she did all her shopping at DTD but wants to do it again sometime but using the monorail and the resorts on it.
it was my present to her.
;)

What a sweet hubby you are. If I lived closer my DH would probably do that for me too.

BelleandtheBeast
11-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Sounds like tons of fun to me. A lot of the resort restaurants are visited by locals just going out to eat. When you are out shopping don't forget DTD. Have fun and make sure to buy tons of stuff.:mickey::mickey:

PrincessCandaceMarie
11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Have fun!:mickey::thumbsup:

Dznygrl79
11-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Oh that sounds like so much fun! DH and I spent the evenings of our last trip resort hopping and had a blast going into each of the shops! I am a shopoholic and its my version of a perfect vacation! When we go we love the rides but eating and shopping are my two favs and DH loves taking pictures and trading pins. Oh and this time of year when the resorts are all decked out for the Holidays it makes it even more worthwhile to stop and visit. We love taking the monorail around too, especially sitting upfront and getting our co piolets license!

**9 more days**

EPCOT84
11-27-2007, 06:22 PM

HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!?!!?!

It's possible...but it's not recommended!:fit:

On one trip when we were going there so frequently, my family almost did that. Crazy huh? Finally broke down and visited Epcot on a one park ticket.

Taja
11-28-2007, 02:15 PM
We used to do this at Knott's Berry Farm (early to mid-seventies). They always had unusual items, and it wasn't necessary to enter the park to shop! :thumbsup:

EPCOT84
11-28-2007, 04:35 PM
We used to do this at Knott's Berry Farm (early to mid-seventies). They always had unusual items, and it wasn't necessary to enter the park to shop! :thumbsup:

Us too up until the Knott family sold it to a theme park operator. A scaled down shopping area still exists and the Chicken Dinner Restaurant is still there. I miss the candy shop most.

Marilyn Michetti
11-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Can you imagine how long the lines would be if Disney checked everyone's I.D. to ride the busses or monorail?:jaw:

kmo84
12-10-2007, 10:30 PM
We do this quite a bit. If it's a rainy day or we just don't have any plans, we load up and go.

We are seasonal passport holders, so the summer months we are locked out, but we get our fix from the little trips to the resorts to browse and maybe have lunch or dinner.

I went up by myself a year or two ago and did almost all of my Christmas shopping at the Contemporary and Polynesian. I almost didn't come home! :mickey: