PDA

View Full Version : ATT: CANDIAN INTERCOTEES...Shipping Packages Across the Border

Bringonthemouse!
11-07-2007, 09:39 PM
I have noticed many people ship things home from their resorts to lighten the return trip load through the airports (definately a great idea!). Has anyone done this across the border to Canada? I am wondering if the shipping price is reasonable or if we should just go ahead and pack the extra suitcase for all of our souveniers.
:mickey:

offwego
11-08-2007, 09:18 AM
I have noticed many people ship things home from their resorts to lighten the return trip load through the airports (definately a great idea!). Has anyone done this across the border to Canada? I am wondering if the shipping price is reasonable or if we should just go ahead and pack the extra suitcase for all of our souveniers.
:mickey:

In most cases it won't be as you'll be having to deal with assesed duty issues (and if I'm not mistaken some increases in shipping that have made this much less affordable on the "return home" trip.

EeyoresBestFriend
11-08-2007, 12:13 PM
I've often wondered the same thing. What has slowed me up is that usually everything that comes from Disney is UPS - and you know how they roast us at the border. And I believe that you still get nailed with all the taxes(again) when shipped, but not certain on that.
So we just pack lightly when we go down and then fill er up when we come back. And every time time, we manage to get, at least, one framed cell and christmas ornaments back with us.:mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
11-08-2007, 12:20 PM
In most cases it won't be as you'll be having to deal with assesed duty issues (and if I'm not mistaken some increases in shipping that have made this much less affordable on the "return home" trip.
That is the problem. It's ridiculous. Shipping doesn't makes sense when all the extras are laid on.

We always make sure to have space in our luggage, or to bring along an additional case that we can fill if necessary (and it almost always is!).

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-08-2007, 12:27 PM
We had to ship our personalized Christmas ornaments home from our last trip, since they weren't ready for us in time to pick up and take home with us.

The shipping charges were crazy, just outrageous, so I don't think that shipping back form to Canada is a $$-wise option :(

Oh well, we'll just have to take advantage of the strong Canadian dollar and visit more often :mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
11-09-2007, 12:41 PM
I did the shipping thing once on a business trip. I shipped some of my clothes home so I could use just carry on and guess what, I was charged duty on my own old clothes!!! I was told that anything shipped across the border is subject to duties.

Bringonthemouse!
11-09-2007, 01:54 PM
I was charged duty on my own old clothes!!! I was told that anything shipped across the border is subject to duties.
That is absolutely ludicrous!!!

Catwillow
11-10-2007, 12:18 AM
buy those suitcases that fit one inside the other. Pack the "inside" suitcase with all your clothes and such then set it inside the larger suitcase. That way you have a totally empty suitcase to use on the way home.

Mickey'sGirl
11-10-2007, 08:58 AM
buy those suitcases that fit one inside the other. Pack the "inside" suitcase with all your clothes and such then set it inside the larger suitcase. That way you have a totally empty suitcase to use on the way home.
This is exactly what I do. Great minds must think alike! :D

garymacd
11-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I just found this on a web site. It details how to avoid customs and taxes. This is not a cheat. It is the real regulations.

Gifts sent to individuals in Canada are exempt from duties and taxes if:

The item is worth less than $60 CAN (see Bank of Canada exchange rates)

The item includes a card or notice indicating that it is a gift.

If the gift is worth more than $60 CAN, the recipient will have to pay applicable duties and sales taxes on the value of the gift over $60 CAN.

The $60 gift exemption does not apply to tobacco, alcoholic beverages, or advertising material items sent by a business, company, or association

The $60 gift exemption can not be combined with the regular $20 mail exemption available for all items.

You still have to pay shipping, but at least you will save some money. More information is available on the Canada Custom and Border Services website.

Hey! This is my 300th post!

Woo hoo!:party:

Bringonthemouse!
11-10-2007, 07:02 PM
I just found this on a web site. It details how to avoid customs and taxes. This is not a cheat. It is the real regulations.

Gifts sent to individuals in Canada are exempt from duties and taxes if:

The item is worth less than $60 CAN (see Bank of Canada exchange rates)

The item includes a card or notice indicating that it is a gift.

If the gift is worth more than $60 CAN, the recipient will have to pay applicable duties and sales taxes on the value of the gift over $60 CAN.

The $60 gift exemption does not apply to tobacco, alcoholic beverages, or advertising material items sent by a business, company, or association

The $60 gift exemption can not be combined with the regular $20 mail exemption available for all items.

You still have to pay shipping, but at least you will save some money. More information is available on the Canada Custom and Border Services website.

Hey! This is my 300th post!

Woo hoo!:party:

Thank you for this information!!!:mickey: