View Full Version : Smell

guatemama
11-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I bought our daughter who own rolled carry-on but it smells like fuel inside, is there anything that will get rid of that smell? I am afraid her things will smell like that. I have tried Febreez, leaving it outside to air out, any suggestions?

Thanks, Susan

jclightchasr
11-07-2007, 12:32 PM
fuel smells are tricky, I would try baking soda or activated charcoal which is sold sometimes at pet stores for aquariums.

VAdizneefan
11-07-2007, 12:43 PM
I know that smell well, I think it is really some kind of plastic giving off that odor. I've had luggage that did that and have tried a variety of things, including just leaving the piece open outside for it to 'air out' and closing it with a dryer sheet inside. I hate to say it but I've never had luck getting rid of the smell. I can tell you that we're very picky now when buying luggage and it must pass the 'smell' test before we'll purchase it. Good luck!

laprana
11-07-2007, 01:14 PM
I bought a new suitcase about 3 years ago, and it had a very similar smell. I didn't really notice it too much when I was packing, but when we got to WDW and I pulled my clothes out, they smelled horrible! That's when I realized the smell was coming from my suitcase! I also tried Febreeze, which didn't do much good. The smell seems like it has somewhat dissipated over the last couple of years, but I haven't used that suitcase since, so I don't really know for sure. Nothing I tried got the smell out very well, just kind of covered it up. Do you still have time to return the suitcase and get a non-smelly one?

RenDuran
11-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Years ago I had read a tip that newspaper would absorb odors from stinky refrigerators. I only did it once, but it worked. Try stuffing your suitcase with newspapers. Couldn't hurt to try it!

thrillme
11-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I know there are some scent removers at local pet stores that remove skunk odors and some that remove "marking" odors. I know this is a long shot but maybe you can try one of these to products. I know it's a different odor but maybe...

Maybe a good dose of soap, water and viniger and then dry it out the best you can and pick up some "Damp Rid" at your local supermarket, walmart or hardware store. Let it air out till it's dry.

NotaGeek
11-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Can you take the suitcase back and find one that doesn't smell? I wouldn't chance getting to my destination and smelling like a gas station!

illini
11-08-2007, 09:08 AM
At Home Depot, they sell these bags of some type of lava rock. They're mesh bags, about 10X12 inches and they're located in the cleaning aisle. They do an AMAZING job of removing odors. One bag costs about $8. I'd buy one, stick it in the suitcase, and leave it overnight. I'm sorry that I'm not sure what they're called, but I'm 99% sure that it's the same company that makes Ooops, etc.

This is assuming you can't return the suitcase. If you can, that would be my first pick. I know that smell and it's awful. DD's Jasmine shoes from Disneyshopping.com have that and it makes me queasy.