PDA

View Full Version : Possible Early Return for Big Brother on CBS

2Epcot
11-07-2007, 11:29 AM
CBS leans on 'Brother' during strike
Reality show staffing up for early launch

By JOSEF ADALIAN

CBS may rely on its "Big Brother" as a strike contingency.

Series, usually a summer staple, has started staffing up for an in-season run that could be on the air as soon as February, people familiar with the situation said.

Indeed, in anticipation of a strike, CBS quietly began casting for the next edition of the show a few weeks ago.

Exec producer Allison Grodner is also said to be working on a new creative twist for the Julie Chen-hosted show, in which a group of strangers live together in a house for three months.

There's been buzz that the next edition of "Big Brother" might actually use celebrities, as opposed to ordinary people. A long strike might work in favor of such a plan, since some celebs normally busy working on sitcoms and dramas might have some time on their hands.

Possibility of an early "Big Brother" popped up on Tuesday's edition of the Eye's "Early Show." Anchor Hanna Storm joked that the show might be back sooner than the summer, prompting a roll of the eyes from Chen. Chen then expressed her hope that the strike is settled soon.

"Big Brother" would be a perfect strike weapon for CBS because it airs three times a week, filling three key hours of primetime.

Eye execs declined to comment.

Endemol USA and Allison Grodner Prods. produce "Big Brother."

Posted: Tue., Nov. 6, 2007, 12:39pm PT - Variety

chrisb26
11-07-2007, 11:34 AM
That would be really cool! I hate that you have to wait so long for the new season. I wish they would do it too times a year but I understand why they can't since it does air so often. But I think that would be a great idea to deal with the writers strike. :thumbsup:

KarenP
11-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Big Brother is my favorite reality show so this would be great!

Ian
11-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Not AT ALL a big fan of the celeb idea ... that's way too much like Surreal Life or some other garbage from MTV.

You know ... the reality shows that even I won't stoop to watching?!?

2Epcot
11-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Joey Buttafuoco on 'Big Brother?'
Nov 19, 2007, 09:50 AM | by Lynette Rice

Categories: TV Biz - EW.com

Joey Buttafuoco was one of about 70 houseguest hopefuls who participated in an open casting call this weekend in Los Angeles for CBS' Big Brother. While waiting in line before his audition, Buttafuoco chatted with BB8 winner Dick Donato (yep, he was there, too). "I support the writers strike because they're entitled to get what they work for," said the 52-year-old, who's appeared in such films as Finding Forrester and Mafia Movie Madness. "I don't believe in crossing the picket line or anything like that because this program isn't going to be happening for quite some time. Am I right?"

Not really. It's CBS' hope to get BB9 up and running by February, if the strike persists through the holidays (things could be looking up, however: both sides agreed to return to the negotiating table on Nov. 26). Buttafuoco says he'd be "an asset" to BB, though he admits his celebrity could work against him in the house. "It has hurt in the past," admits Buttafuoco. "Even just going on a regular audition! Sometimes I get them and sometimes I don't, because my Q rating is too high. But I'm not that character that the media made me out to be. I'm not that guy."

ChipnDaleGal
11-20-2007, 05:45 AM
That would be wretched. As much as I enjoy all the drama and silliness of a good Big Brother season, I will not watch if Joey Buttafuoco is in the house. I'm not inviting that guy into my own living room three times a week. :sick: