PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy to do this?

vamaggie
11-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Just got back from 6 Magical days at WDW! My folks came over from Tampa for 2 days with us and my mom really enjoyed it (her 1st time) She suggested that the kids and I come back to WDW for a day when we are down in Tampa the week after Christmas(drive over early, play and return after dinner). Are we crazy to try this? I know the kids would love to have another day with Mickey but I have heard crowds are really big that week. Wouldn't need ADRs or room ressies and we have tickets too. Any thoughts about what I may be getting into? TIA!!

tennantsrwe
11-07-2007, 07:58 AM
From what I've read and heard, Christmas week until New Years is one of WDW busiest times. So although it would be nice to squeeze in one more day with the mouse, how much would you all really be able to do? Standing in line for hours doesn't really seem like much fun, lol. I think you'll just have to weigh it out. If you don't mind the crowd and having to exercise a bit of patience than it could be nice. Good Luck!

SBETigg
11-07-2007, 08:37 AM
A very crowded WDW is still better than no WDW. You could manage to do a few things, and at least soak up the atmosphere. Why not? Make a good plan and use Fastpasses.

wifey5794
11-07-2007, 08:48 AM
For MANY years we spent Christmas in Treasure Island, FL and would come over for a day during that time. (Usually the day after Christmas) Until I started reading this site, I just always thought it was crowded but not unbearable. Then I got married, had kids and we haven't been back during a "peak" time yet! I'd have to do it and just realize you may not be able to do everything. Also, for one day you could just eat CS meals and don't worry about ADR's. Or put the dining number in your cell phone and call while at the park for cancellations.

ENJOY!!

irish1967
11-07-2007, 08:50 AM
How old are you children?

One day at WDW can be absolutely exhausting - are your children old enough to handle the tiredness without a meltdown?

If your children aren't old enough to understand how the crowds would change the visit - it might be a disappointing visit.

You would definitely need to leave Tampa EARLY and arrive before opening - If I remember correctly (someone with more detailed knowledge could probably comment more accurately) but I think that may be one of the few times of year where there is a chance that the parks may be closed due to being filled to capacity!

Personally, I wouldn't do it but it really does depend on your children!

DDuck66
11-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I leave just west of Tampa and it takes me about an hour and a half to get to the MK. I went last year from Dec 22nd to the 27th and it was great. There is so much to do and see. The parks are just more spectacular than ever during the holidays. We do a lot of one day trips and never have a problem. In fact we are going December 8th for one day at DS just to see the Osborne Lights. We usually arrive at opening and stay until late afternoon. hat way we make it home for supper.

vamaggie
11-07-2007, 10:10 AM
How old are you children?

One day at WDW can be absolutely exhausting - are your children old enough to handle the tiredness without a meltdown?

If your children aren't old enough to understand how the crowds would change the visit - it might be a disappointing visit.

You would definitely need to leave Tampa EARLY and arrive before opening - If I remember correctly (someone with more detailed knowledge could probably comment more accurately) but I think that may be one of the few times of year where there is a chance that the parks may be closed due to being filled to capacity!

Personally, I wouldn't do it but it really does depend on your children!

Kids are 4 & 10. We would plan to leave Tampa around 6:30am (they're up early anyway!) and leave WDW to return home about 4. They are a bit spoiled with the low crowds we had this past week, but except for Splash & BTMRR are pretty happy doing the smaller rides and attractions. I was worried about the crowds in general, not so much about line wait times. Any more guidance/input out there? If we do go, any tips?

brownie
11-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Knowing that it will be busy, you can plan for it and around it. I'd go, but I'd be honest with my expectations for the day.

jclightchasr
11-07-2007, 12:38 PM
We go this time every other year and If you know how to make out a plan and work it through the crowds aren't that bad. Make sure to use fastpass as much as possible. I have three kids DD age 2, DS age 4, and DS age 9, and we have a blast. Go for it, Christmas-time is busy but beautiful and the people watching aspect is great too!

FlaTinkRAMESAM
11-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Go have fun. There will be crowds, yes. But it is Christmas season at Disney! NOTHING gets better than that... See what you want and take in the wonderful sights and sounds and NICE weather!!! :o)

bleukarma
11-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I say go for it. You already are going in with the expectation of high crowds, so it sounds like you won't be disappointed. Christmas at Disney is truly magical and if you don't mind skipping some of the more popular rides and using fast pass then you should still have fun. :mickey:

Haunt1000
11-07-2007, 09:38 PM
I went to DLR on the 29th of December 2005. Now I know its not the same as the MK but at 9:30am the park was at capacity and no more tickets were being sold. Later in the day they introduced U.T. and U.S.C. football teams into the park who were playing for the national title. So in theroy your at least 2 football teams over capacity at this point.:thumbsup: With that being said, with the use of fp we rode 14 attractions and saw 2 shows!!! Leaving the park we heard lots of complaints about only getting on 5 or 6 attractions by other guests.

So as long as you have some plan of attack you can have a very full day. And your in the right place for plans!!! Dont let the scare of large crowds hinder your Disney!!! We only get so many days in the parks and every extra one you can get, you should take!:beer:

Tink#64
11-07-2007, 11:37 PM
WOW! I'd go in a minute! You've just been there, & I'm assuming here that you did everything that you wanted during that visit. This day would just be a fantastic bonus! At no cost except gas! I wouldn't think twice! What a fantastic opportunity.

My DS's would be thrilled! I just know I'd have to make it a surprise for them! Actually being at WDW at Christmas time, :cloud9: We're hoping for this in a couple of years!

If you go, let us know how it was!:mickey: