PDA

View Full Version : GF, Poly, or Contemporary?

magicjasb
11-06-2007, 01:30 PM
We love the Poly and have stayed there a few times. On our next trip, we were going to stay there again. The kids love the pool, beach, atmosphere, etc. There is nothing we don't like. We are starting to think we should try the Contemporary (tower room), or GF. We didn't know if the Contemporay was not themed enough, or the GF was too fancy. The kids love the pool and beach at the Poly. Any suggestions?

SurferStitch
11-06-2007, 04:33 PM
DH and I absolutely love the GF. We spent our honeymoon there, and numerous other trips after that.

Yes, it's "fancy", but it's also very comfortable and relaxed. They have a fantastic pool with a water slide and waterfall with zero entry. They also have a quiet pool.

We just love the overall nostalgic feel of the resort. The piano player in the main lobby is wonderful (they've had the same few pianists for years now), and the GF Society Orchestra is fantastic. We loved sitting in the lobby or the concierge lounge and listening to them before heading out for the evening.

The guest rooms are very plush, warm and inviting. Soft colors, adorable bedspreads (we've had Alice in Wonderland and Disney fairies/godmother themes), and warm wood tones make the rooms so incredibly comfortable.

We've stayed concierge (main building) and in regular rooms, and we love both, although we found concierge not to be worth the extra cost. The regular rooms are just as nice and much lower cost. We love to stay in Boca Chica.

We would be staying at the GF in December, but we got a much better AP deal at the Poly, so we are trying that for the first time. :tikki:

TammiMcMan
11-06-2007, 04:38 PM
They're both so close to the Poly, why don't you take an hour or two and visit both on your next Poly vacation? You can walk around the grounds and view the pool area and the common areas. You can also check at lobby concierge or registration and see if someone is able to show you a room. That may help you with your decision. We can certainly give you our opinion on what we like best about a particular resort, but I think having an opportunity to see it yourself, before making up your mind, is great.

wifey5794
11-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Our choice is GF, that is where we usually stay and will be in Dec. But I love the fancier feel. I don't think it is stuffy though! I don't really care for the contemporary but...You can't go wrong with any of them.

SBETigg
11-07-2007, 08:45 AM
We're also GF honeymooners who became hooked on the resort. Love it! It's our favorite. I don't find it too fancy or stuffy at all. But our kids (teens) do prefer the Polynesian. It is more laid-back. It depends on what you like. The Contemporary is not bad, either, but it feels less warm and friendly to me, and more business hotel-- not that it is, there's just something about it that feels that way to me.

If you choose the GF, your kids should still be able to relax and enjoy the grounds. Mine did. The pools are great. They actually did prefer the themed pool at the GF and the fact that it seemed not as spread out as the Polynesian-- even though it isn't much different. More GF pros: every building has it's own laundry room. There's a hot tub. We preferred the bus waiting area over the Poly's.

tikiman
11-08-2007, 10:03 AM
It is mostly based on opinion and taste. I have tried just about every resort and we visit the GF and Contemporary often when staying at the Polynesian. I have even been in the rooms at the GF and Contemporary and I personally have no desire to stay at the GF but I would love to try the Contemporary. Also I am big on transportation being convenient and the GF in my opinion is the least convenient for me. It is only one stop away to the MK on the monorail and the bus goes right from the GF to the other destinations but because it is last on the line for the bus and the monorail it is often full of people (standing room only). Its boat has to stop at the Polynesian on the way to the MK so that becomes a longer trip but than the Polynesian guests have to wait and stop at the GF on the way out on the boat. The GF and Contemporary do not have walking access to the TTC to get right on the monorail to Epcot so for me that gives the Polynesian its biggest edge since I love Epcot. When I stay at the Polynesian I still have easy access to the food and shopping of the Contemporary and GF and that is all I really need. I would like to try the Contemporary sometime though. The rooms are large like the Polynesian and I still remember seeing it for the first time back in 1983.

kenez
11-08-2007, 12:37 PM
We have stayed at the Grand Floridian five times and we are scheduled to go back again in January (hopefully it won't be too cold then). We have never stayed in the main building although we have tried different "view" rooms in the other buildings. To me, the Garden View offers the best value. They are the same size and quality as Lagoon or Magic Kingdom view rooms and they generally have nice views as well. You can always spend time in the main building lobby if you want the experience of the orchestra, piano, etc. Also, I believe the Grand Floridian is the only resort that offers a full order-off-the-menu breakfast. We prefer that to a buffet.

Transportation via the monorail is convenient although we tend to drive everywhere except to the Magic Kingdom. Resort guests don't have to pay to park at the various Disney parks. We haven't used the GF pools very much because we are usually there in the cooler months but they are nice, although not as elaborate as some others where I have seen pictures and descriptions.

To me the main reason for staying at the GF is the overall atmosphere and the location. I would give it a try since you have never been there.

andreallybadeggs
11-10-2007, 03:55 PM
We love them all. How old are the kids? Our DD first deluxe experience was at age 5-- a tower room at CR that is still a powerfully magical memory for her. At the time our DS were 11 and 9. They liked the feel of the CR-- monorail running through, the video arcade etc... Two years later we were at the Poly and we all loved it as well so we stayed there twice. Finally got to the GF-- by this time boys still enjoyed WDW but were happy with whatever so didn't have a strong reaction. DD, however, became absolutely hooked on GF-- it just feels the most "special" of all the deluxes to her. Ever since, she is thrilled with any Disney vacation we can manage but the 2 more times we've stayed at GF during her teen years have definitely been the most magical. What a tough decision! ;)

GrmGrninGost
11-11-2007, 10:23 AM
I like the Poly, but why not try some of the others? We are making an effort to try them all! :mickey:

CandleontheWater
11-11-2007, 06:10 PM
I would also suggest trying them all. All the Disney resorts are special in thier own way and will lead to wonderful vacation memories. That being said I have a special soft spot in my heart for the Contemporary. To me, it doesn't get more disney than watching the monorail zoom through the lobby of your hotel!