PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Tonga Toast!

BeccaO
11-06-2007, 08:41 AM
I was wondering if someone would give me some info on the Tonga Toast at Polynesian? Never had it, but hear how good it is all the time!!!

faline
11-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Maybe looking at the recipe (http://intercot.com/infocentral/dining/recipes/tongatoast.asp) will help?

eam
11-06-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm afraid I'm one of those people that LOVE it(but without the bananas)! Alot of people don't like it because it is so very rich and sweet, but that's why I like it. And even though you can make it at home, it's still a 'Disney thing' for me. Make sure you try it and form your own opinion. I know I will be having it in 3 days!:mickey:

prprincess
11-06-2007, 09:55 AM
I think it's absolutely delicious, and a must have everything I go to WDW. Like the previous poster said, some people don't like it because it's too sweet, but I have a huge sweet tooth so it's perfect to me.

Jared
11-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Tonga Toast is a loaf of sourdough French toast coated with cinnamon and sugar and stuffed with bananas. It's sickly sweet and absolutely gigantic. but many people adore it. It's available at Kona Cafe and Captain Cook's at the Polynesian.

Go hungry because you'll leave full.

BeccaO
11-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Ok, thanks everyone, that is exactly what I was looking for. I have a major sweet tooth too, I love sweet things in the morning, and especially when I am on vacation!!! We will be staying at the GF in Jan. and I think it will be a must do to walk over to the Polynesian for breakfast one day!!!! I can't wait!!!

DisneyorBust
11-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Well BeccaO, if you like sweet things in the morning, Tonga Toast will make you quite happy! It is a pretty good way to start a day at WDW!:mickey: Enjoy!

Tinkerfreak
11-06-2007, 02:37 PM
I just tried this for the first time last week and I must say I am one of those people who really did not like it. It was just way too sweet and greasy for me. I could only eat 3 small bites and had to throw the rest away. If someone really has a sweet tooth this is perfect for them. I might have actually enjoyed it more as a dessert than a breakfast thing. It was just too early for me to eat that much sugar.

mousetrapper
11-06-2007, 02:39 PM
I love Tonga Toast! How can you go wrong with cinnamon-sugar-encrusted bread stuffed with sweet bananas?

It's delish.:cloud9:

It is a lot for one person to eat, so consider sharing.

Bethis26fan
11-06-2007, 09:37 PM
I can't wait to try this it sounds so good.

moe513
11-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Its worth trying but I thought it had a funny taste to it. I couldnt eat it.

vamaggie
11-08-2007, 08:00 AM
When we were there last week, DH & DS10, both big eaters, shared one from Capt'n Cooks for b'fast and enjoyed it. Neither put any butter or syrup on it and DS couldn't even finish his part.

pox24
11-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Had it for the first time last month. I'm still bouncing off the walls from the sugar high. Its great:thumbsup:

tikiman
11-08-2007, 10:21 AM
You can get it baked instead of fried if you ask for it.

mousetrapper
11-08-2007, 01:42 PM

That's great to know! I'll have to remember that.

BriarRose0708
11-08-2007, 03:17 PM
If the Tonga Toast is too sweet for some, the plain old French Toast was delicious! It comes with a light dusting of powdered sugar and was the perfect ammount of sweetness. Enjoy!

Goofy Pluto
11-09-2007, 10:25 AM

What would be the point of that! ;)

A Big Kid
11-10-2007, 11:52 AM

Really?! I'll have to try that next time.

BTW, no trip to WDW is complete without Tonga Toast.

angedeaile
11-11-2007, 10:36 AM

Have you tried it baked? I wonder if it greatly affects the taste of it.

My problem is the size. I wish they would offer a smaller portion, because I don't eat much to begin with...infact that is the reason I am leaning toward not getting that in January when we go.

CandleontheWater
11-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Tonga Toast is utterly heavenly. There is nothing better than its sugary-bananay-syrupy goodness. It is my idea of the perfect food, and provides the oh-so-necessary sugar high to get you tearing through the Magic Kingdom, even on minimal hours of sleep. Its a last day ritual for me, one last wonderful bit of Disney goodness before I have to leave. Saving it for the last day means I'm not dreading the last day, which is always a good thing. I do have to warn you, Tonga Toast does become addictive, and you'll find yourself dreaming about it and drooling months later. :D