PDA

View Full Version : Fun INEXPENSIVE things to do Central Florida

d_m_n_n
11-05-2007, 01:22 PM
We have 2 days between when we arrive (to hopefully see the shuttle launch) and when our reservations begin at Disney. I thought about maybe taking a drive to the Gulf coast on one day (not sure what area though), but we need some other ideas for the other day. It will be myself, DH, DS10 and DS6 and we will have our vehicle. I've looked into the possibility of the Orlando Science Center and maybe Daytona USA, but wondered in anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks!! :D

ibrowse17
11-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Sitting on a beach is about as free as it gets, so you could try that for a while:thumbsup:

AlexasTreasure
11-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Just wanted to give a few suggestions. I lived in Orlando for 18 years. These are very inexpensive places to enjoy the sun and water. I also recommend the Orlando Science Center.

*Wekiwa(Wekiva) Springs State Park
http://www.floridastateparks.org/wekiwasprings/

*Rock Springs/Kelly Park
http://www.theotherorlando.com/contents/chapters/16/kellypark.html

d_m_n_n
11-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Thank you both so much. Hopefully the weather will be pleasant so that we can spend the days outside (much better than December here!! :( ). I think I'm going to pack our kites and a few other outdoor games and hope for sunny days! The boys love hiking and exploring, so this will fit right up our alley. If it is chilly or rainy we will hit the OSC.

Do you all have any suggestions on which beaches are good for finding shells preferably on the gulf? I know it will be much too cold to swim, but thought we could possibly look for shells, build castles and fly kites...:cloud9:

MsMin
11-05-2007, 09:38 PM
One of my favorite things to do is to go to Venice Florida. It's south of Sarasota and an easy drive from WDW. There you can dig for fossilized shark teeth on the beach. We found about 1/2 a cup in a 1/2 day with just 2 of us. If your boys love dinosaurs it can be quite an adventure. Where else can you dig for your own fossils? I've gone in Aug and in Feb. They are in the darker sand and not very deep and some just wash up on shore. Not a lot of shells but not far from beaches w/ shells. It's a public beach and a little hard to find but it's free!

murphy1
11-08-2007, 09:05 AM
I grew up in St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay area, these are my suggestions:

Clearwater Marine Aquarium (fun AND educational, the animals are also being rehabilitated and are great to see)

Ft. DeSoto near St. Pete Beach

Great Explorations Museum and The Pier in downtown St. Petersburg

FlaTinkRAMESAM
11-11-2007, 09:35 PM
I grew up in St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay area, these are my suggestions:

Clearwater Marine Aquarium (fun AND educational, the animals are also being rehabilitated and are great to see)

Ft. DeSoto near St. Pete Beach

Great Explorations Museum and The Pier in downtown St. Petersburg

I 2nd Ft. DeSoto. Really nice, quiet, relaxed. If your family likes camping the camping facilities are nice... right by the beach and pretty inexpensive.

CaraMiaO3
11-15-2007, 01:44 PM
We were recently in Orlando and looking for inexpensive things to do with two 5 yr old boys in tow. We found this place off of International Drive called Monkey Joe's. It is located inside a mall ..next to Van's skate park. It is an inflatable park. It has inflatable slides and obstacle courses and a bounce house. I think it was like $9 per child. The boys loved it! Especially the really big obstacle course with the rock wall and slide at the end. We were at the place about 2 hours I would say. They have a snack bar and I think pizza and hot dogs. Also, they have a computer area for parents. Perfect place to kill a few hours without spending alot of $$.