PDA

View Full Version : So how about that game?

dolphinmickey9170
11-05-2007, 01:19 PM
No running up the score, no unsportsmanlike activity at the end of the game, Brady took a knee (3 times, I think), and Coach didn't have his homeless sweatshirt on. What a game!!

Donald A
11-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Believe it or not, the game was played down the road from my house but I was more interested in my Browns game (Go Browns). Anyway, just when I thought all the hype was over and that we could move on, I am surprised by the following article on Yahoo:

"Patriots complain about crowd noise"

The President of the Pats actually thinks the Colts "piped" in crowd noise. I mean why can't the Pats just take their win and move on. :confused: Don't even get me started.

Go Browns!

Ian
11-05-2007, 01:51 PM
"Patriots complain about crowd noise"

The President of the Pats actually thinks the Colts "piped" in crowd noise. I mean why can't the Pats just take their win and move on. :confused: Don't even get me started.I hate to say this, but I think they have a valid argument.

I say that because about halfway through the game, the "crowd noise" CD starting skipping. You could clearly hear it on the broadcast.

No running up the score, no unsportsmanlike activity at the end of the game, Brady took a knee (3 times, I think), and Coach didn't have his homeless sweatshirt on. What a game!!Well not to pick nits here, but it's hard to run up the score in a game that you're losing with like 8 minutes left.

kakn7294
11-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Of course, I am disappointed that the Patriots won - Kristen knows that I don't like them! ;) But, obviously, they are the team that made the adjustments during the halftime break because they were able to keep both Peyton Manning and Joseph Addai in check in the second half. Tom Brady appeared to be getting somewhat rattled by the end of the 3rd quarter but he got over it and kept on going. We all know that both teams are quite capable of scoring and it seems that the better defense in the second half basically won the game -turnovers were also costly which is something neither team is really used to. All in all, it was very entertaining at least! As far as Donald's comment about the piped in noise, I haven't seen or heard that anywhere but if it's true, that's such an old complaint. Can't they find a new one? Why can't a win just be a win these days? Everyone has an excuse as to why they lost and even the winners have complaints.

Donald A
11-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Let me add this, if the Colts are cheating by doing the crowd noise thing, I will be the first to come down on my opinion of them. I mean, I am a Browns fan but live in Indy and have friends who really love this team. The Colts owe it to the fans to play and win fair. I was at a few games a couple seasons ago including the Colts/Steelers Monday night game where the Steelers accused them of "piping" in sound. It was very loud in there. However, you are placing 55,000 people sitting in metal bleachers in a very small enclosed area. I don't know :shrug:

SBETigg
11-05-2007, 02:12 PM
No running up the score, no unsportsmanlike activity at the end of the game, Brady took a knee (3 times, I think), and Coach didn't have his homeless sweatshirt on. What a game!!

Great game! And yes, on Belichick's lack of icky sweatshirt :silly:. So much better.

LauraleeH
11-05-2007, 03:15 PM
The Colts didn't cheat...it had something to do with CBS and the accusations have been dropped.

Go Colts!!! :number1:

Damon18
11-05-2007, 04:34 PM
That was a great game! I look forward to the rematch in New England in January!;)

GO PATS!!:number1:

Donald A
11-05-2007, 05:22 PM
The Colts didn't cheat...it had something to do with CBS and the accusations have been dropped.

Go Colts!!! :number1:

Watching the local news here in Indy, CBS has admitted fault and channel 13's camera did not have the "skipping" the CBS broadcast did. Enough said.

SBETigg
11-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Watching the local news here in Indy, CBS has admitted fault and channel 13's camera did not have the "skipping" the CBS broadcast did. Enough said.

Not really enough said. Apparently, the Patriots never complained about crowd noise. Kraft's son brought it up and it was investigated but the team never had a problem. Apparently, a number of teams have indirectly suggested that the Colts alter noise levels in the stadium, the Steelers among them (in fact, Steelers players were the first to suggest it last season). I think it's just that things are bound to be louder in the indoor venue and it is a non-issue.

It would have been really classy for people to be able to congratulate Pats fans on a good game for a change instead of finding something else to try to bring them down. Talk about sportsmanship. It is nice to see some good sports here.

Ian
11-07-2007, 09:44 AM
It would have been really classy for people to be able to congratulate Pats fans on a good game for a change instead of finding something else to try to bring them down. Talk about sportsmanship. It is nice to see some good sports here.You know ... you reap what you sow.

If you're going to treat people badly (you being the Patriots in this context) then no one is going to root for you or want good things for you.

I was actually shocked at how hard I was rooting against the Pats in this game. I've really developed an intense dislike for this team and the players. It's hard, because it's such a 180º turnaround from how I used to feel.

Sorry, but I think you're being unrealistic in expecting people to be happy for the Patriots. Most people are now rooting against them due to their classless and arrogant behavior.

SBETigg
11-07-2007, 09:56 AM
You know ... you reap what you sow.

If you're going to treat people badly (you being the Patriots in this context) then no one is going to root for you or want good things for you.

I was actually shocked at how hard I was rooting against the Pats in this game. I've really developed an intense dislike for this team and the players. It's hard, because it's such a 180º turnaround from how I used to feel.

Sorry, but I think you're being unrealistic in expecting people to be happy for the Patriots. Most people are now rooting against them due to their classless and arrogant behavior.

I don't expect people to be happy for the Patriots. But I don't think it's too much to expect the same people who accuse the Patriots of having a lack of class and sportsmanship to show some themselves.

Ian
11-07-2007, 03:18 PM
I don't expect people to be happy for the Patriots. But I don't think it's too much to expect the same people who accuse the Patriots of having a lack of class and sportsmanship to show some themselves.What does that mean, though? How, exactly, are you looking for people to show class and sportsmanship?

I wasn't happy with the games outcome. I didn't come on here and say, "The Pats got lucky ... " or "They shouldn't have won that game ... " or "The Pats obviously cheated!" (which may, in fact, be the case ;) ) ...

But I'm sure not going to break my arm patting them on the back. Like I said ... they did this to themselves. Last year everyone would have been thrilled that they won. This year, they're atop everyone's Most Hated list.

In other words, they've taken over the place previously held by Terrell Owens and the Cowboys. ;)

SBETigg
11-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Ian, come on. My point was clear. It would have been the classier move to just say "yeah, good game," for once instead of the very first person to respond turning it into a thread about alleged noise level complaints-- a story that shaped up far differently than initially reported. Kristen wasn't asking for a public deflating. She was saying "yay, team!" And agree or disagree, there was no reason to bring her down with a return to the "we hate Patriots" mentality.

No one needed useless pats on the back and that's not what I was saying at all. And obviously, everyone has a right to their opinion. When my team gets beat, I usually just say "hey, it was a good game." That's what good sports do.

Ian
11-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Ian, come on. My point was clear. It would have been the classier move to just say "yeah, good game," for once instead of the very first person to respond turning it into a thread about alleged noise level complaints-- a story that shaped up far differently than initially reported. Kristen wasn't asking for a public deflating. She was saying "yay, team!"Well ... not to pick nits here, but what Kristen actually said was not "Yay, team!" but "No running up the score, no unsportsmanlike activity at the end of the game ... "

I, personally, took issue with that characterization of the game because I didn't think the Pats had the chance to run up the score.

And, at the time of the post, the noise issue was still thought to be an issue, but it was an issue with the Colts not the Pats. Why would that be a problem?

kakn7294
11-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Sherri has a good point. There's no reason we can't all say it was a good game and move on, whether we like the teams involved or not. We don't have to be nasty and nit-pick with each other over the games that in the grand scheme of things have no personal effect on our lives unless we happen to work for those teams. Kristen and Sherri both know I don't like the Patriots but I can be a big enough person to at least acknowledge that it was a good game regardless of the fact that I am sorely disappointed that the Patriots won it. How about if we all let the Patriot fans enjoy it and the rest of us forget about it?

SBETigg
11-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks, Kathy. What a good sport. :)

Ian
11-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Fine by me. I'm not trying to take anything away from Pats' fans enjoyment of the win. I don't think anyone anywhere would dispute that that's one heckuva team they have there and they're obviously a clear favorite to go all the way.

My only point was that my take on this thread was not that it was a "Way to Go Pats thread - fans only let's come celebrate!" thread. Based on the OP's comments, it looked to me like she wanted kudos for the Pats for not running up the score or acting in an unsportsmanlike way.

I wasn't prepared to give those kudos, because I don't believe they're warranted.
However, for the record, I did in fact hold back some other criticisms I had of the Pats' behavior out respect for their fans' desire to celebrate the win.

Scar
11-07-2007, 05:49 PM
I can't comment on the game as I didn't see it. Spending 3 extra hours at Downtown Disney on Saturday was way more important than getting home by 4:00 on Sunday :muscles:

We don't have to be nasty and nit-pick with each other over the games that in the grand scheme of things have no personal effect on our lives unless we happen to work for those teams.I've read every post here twice. I didn't read anyone being nasty. :confused:

Since Intercot doesn't allow some disscussions that do have a pesonal effect on our lives, (like politics and strollers in the park ;)) I, for one, am glad that the sports forum allows more in the way of debate. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
11-07-2007, 06:14 PM
My only point was that my take on this thread was not that it was a "Way to Go Pats thread - fans only let's come celebrate!" thread. Based on the OP's comments, it looked to me like she wanted kudos for the Pats for not running up the score or acting in an unsportsmanlike way.

I would love to hear from Kristen on that, because I think your take was off. It seemed to me like she was cheering on her team and the extra comments about their behavior were her self-deprecatingly sweet way of saying she didn't possibly think anyone can find anything to pick on with this win. But of course, wrong there. Where there are Patriots, there are people willing to pick. Occasionally deservedly so.

And, Ian, again, are you being deliberately obtuse? Because it seems a stretch to take the OPs post in any other way, and furthermore, the first comment about the noise levels was not couched in a way as to question the Colts but to diss the Patriots for finding something to complain about, and you can clearly see that by reading the post.

Yes, Scar, no one is being nasty and I am always up for a debate. But I appreciated Kathy's take on it. It showed class. :thumbsup:

PirateLover
11-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Ok time for me to chime in! How I love sports talk.

Since I sort of know Kristen's personality from the posts in previous threads, I do believe that this was started in an innocent manner. But the things she chose to point out (No running up the score, no cheating) could be interpreted as taunting... like "hey haters, find a reason to hate us now. go us, we won fair!" I'm not saying that's the correct interpretation, it's definitely not how I interpreted it...but it could be seen in that manner.

Donald A mentioned the crowd noise complaint... Ian actually said he thought it was a valid complaint so he was on the Pats side there... then it was determined that CBS was the culprit and the book was closed on that specific issue. Nowhere else did I see anyone being classless or picking on anybody. One thing I've learned, especially being a Philadelphia fan, is that you have to have a thick skin when it comes to sports. People will always find things to hate on your team for. What you need to do as a fan is just take pride in your team, enjoy the wins and move forward.

And just for the record, whenever there is a winner there is a loser. In almost every "Yay my team won!" thread, there are always going to be responses from the opposition. That's just how it is with sports. They bring out the passion in everyone, not just the winning side.

Ian
11-07-2007, 06:42 PM
I would love to hear from Kristen on that, because I think your take was off. It seemed to me like she was cheering on her team and the extra comments about their behavior were her self-deprecatingly sweet way of saying she didn't possibly think anyone can find anything to pick on with this win. But of course, wrong there. Where there are Patriots, there are people willing to pick. Occasionally deservedly so.Okay, well I'll be very shocked if anyone other than Pats fans took her post that way.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's basically irrelvant anyone because that's they way I took the post and that's the way I chose to respond.

And as far as the noise comment goes, that wasn't me so I have nothing to say about that.

But then again, maybe that's just me being "deliberately obtuse" ...

Donald A
11-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Fine by me. I'm not trying to take anything away from Pats' fans enjoyment of the win. I don't think anyone anywhere would dispute that that's one heckuva team they have there and they're obviously a clear favorite to go all the way.

I wasn't prepared to give those kudos, because I don't believe they're warranted.
However, for the record, I did in fact hold back some other criticisms I had of the Pats' behavior out respect for their fans' desire to celebrate the win.

I guess I was the one who caused some of these problems and honestly I thought the original poster wanted to discuss the game. Since it was mentioned that there was no unsportmanlike conduct, that made the discussion to more than just a nice Manning pass or Pats touchdown - It made it also, to me, an opportunity to discuss the events surrounding the game as well. This was the news the day after the game. I live in Indy with this team and news all around me and I was contributing my observations and, since this is a forum to discuss topics, give my opinion.

I have said it before, I do not care about the Colts really. I am a die-hard Browns fan. In fact, I said in one of my posts that if the Colts were doing the crowd noise thing I would lose respect for them and feel sorry for their fans. I have also said on here on other threads that I feel for the Pats fans that are hurt by the behavior of the team they support.

No one here played on these teams (I don't think) or owns these teams (I don't think). How can a Browns fan who spent more time watching that game than the Colts / Pats game be a poor sport about a loss by a team they don't even claim?

We are discussing a game on here. It is not life or death. I have watched my Indians lose the World Series and the sun rose the next morning. In fact, my wife is a Steelers fan. We are not talking about a small liking, we are talking a Steelers fan from birth. This Sunday the Browns and Steelers essentially play for 1st place in the AFC North. My wife and I might get into it, and she might even leave the room to watch it on another TV. At the end of the day, however, it is just a game.

You are not going to see me be happy for a team that has been fined for cheating or be impressed that they won without doing something like running up the score. I will try to just keep my opinions to myself in the future and am sorry I upset anyone.

Donald A
11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
, the first comment about the noise levels was not couched in a way as to question the Colts but to diss the Patriots for finding something to complain about, and you can clearly see that by reading the post.

That is fair enough, but this comment was also posted by me minutes after the first:

Let me add this, if the Colts are cheating by doing the crowd noise thing, I will be the first to come down on my opinion of them. I mean, I am a Browns fan but live in Indy and have friends who really love this team. The Colts owe it to the fans to play and win fair. I was at a few games a couple seasons ago including the Colts/Steelers Monday night game where the Steelers accused them of "piping" in sound. It was very loud in there. However, you are placing 55,000 people sitting in metal bleachers in a very small enclosed area. I don't know

Like I said, I'll just keep my opinion to myself from now on as I have been called a sore loser and it has been implied that I lack class.

SBETigg
11-07-2007, 07:12 PM
IYou are not going to see me be happy for a team that has been fined for cheating or be impressed that they won without doing something like running up the score. I will try to just keep my opinions to myself in the future and am sorry I upset anyone.

Please feel free to express your opinion. No one said it was life or death or upsetting in any way. You'd gone on about the Patriots' lack of class, and didn't even have the class to acknowledge that it was a great game (for both teams actually) without accusing the Patriots of something new. Though you did have the class to then question the Colts part in it, and in the end admit it was CBS at fault and not the Pats or the Colts. So that makes up for it. Sorry to debate you on it. I thought it was a friendly debate.

I still honestly don't see how anyone thought Kristen was looking for kudos on the Patriots not running up the score. It was so obviously not the case and that she was being funny on that point. Since she threw in the sweatshirt comment, did you guys think she wanted some fashion kudos for Belichick, too? :funny: And thanks, Piratelover, it never occurred to me that some might see the cheers as gloating. I never thought it was the case, but it's equally possible in interpretation for non-Pats fans.

PirateLover
11-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Since she threw in the sweatshirt comment, did you guys think she wanted some fashion kudos for Belichick, too? :funny:
You know that is actually one of the first things I noticed! I said to my dad "Wow, he's not wearing his old sweatshirt." He actually looked...dare I say... classy :secret:

And thanks, Piratelover, it never occurred to me that some might see the cheers as gloating. I never thought it was the case, but it's equally possible in interpretation for non-Pats fans.
I don't know what the sports climate is like up there in New England (or any other city), whether you have 24 hour sports talk radio, intense scrutiny on every move a team makes or any comment that is made, and if you do I don't know if you personally pay attention to it. But here in Philly we have TWO sports talk radio stations, a newspaper that devotes almost half of it's content to sports and a tv station dedicated solely to local sports. On the radio station especially it's crazy to hear how people can misinterpret things or make mountains out of molehills. Many people in our town refer to the city as "Negadelphia" when it comes to sports because we always look for the bad in things due to our loser complex. (No championship in almost 100 pro seasons with the 4 major sports combined).
As much as I try to be positive myself, I've kind of grown used to hearing the negative interpretations of everything, which is why I tried to shed light on the other side. ;)

kakn7294
11-07-2007, 10:19 PM
I've read every post here twice. I didn't read anyone being nasty. :confused:
You're right - I didn't mean to insinuate that anyone was being nasty because nobody was. I just wanted to make a point. Sorry to anyone who took it as a personal attack - it wasn't meant to be.

I didn't take the original post as a gloat either but that may be because I know Kristen and know that she wouldn't do that. I can see how others may interpret it as that. And Coach Belichick did look much better than usual. I hope his wife tossed that ratty old sweatshirt when he wasn't looking!!!

battlefield2freak
11-08-2007, 03:06 PM
You know that is actually one of the first things I noticed! I said to my dad "Wow, he's not wearing his old sweatshirt." He actually looked...dare I say... classy :secret:

I don't know what the sports climate is like up there in New England (or any other city), whether you have 24 hour sports talk radio, intense scrutiny on every move a team makes or any comment that is made, and if you do I don't know if you personally pay attention to it. But here in Philly we have TWO sports talk radio stations, a newspaper that devotes almost half of it's content to sports and a tv station dedicated solely to local sports. On the radio station especially it's crazy to hear how people can misinterpret things or make mountains out of molehills.

i know alot about the college sports climate trust me. when your stuck between 2 good college programs ( UL & UK ) its hard to be a fan for either. yeah i saw bill in his new outfit i was like wheres bill at cause im looking for a grey hoodie that has the patriots on it lol.