PDA

View Full Version : Engagements at the Magic Kingdom?

Haunt1000
11-04-2007, 07:23 PM
My best friend is thinking about poping the question at the Magic Kingdom in December. Has anyone done this? Where did you or would you do it? Can castmembers do anything special for the occasion? Does the resort offer anything?:mickey:

SamG
11-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I did it. In front of the castle. My DW (then DGF) was working at WDW, and I came down for Spring Break. My Grandmother lived in Southern Florida, and she came up, and my parents were there for some reason. We went with them to MGM, and I told them we had to run to MK (my parents knew, GM didn't).

When we got in front of the castle, I just had her turn around and when she turned back, I was on one knee with a ring box in my hand.

I wish I knew more to even think about getting cast member help... but we're still married 15 1/2 years later (minus a one year engagement), so I must have done something right.

BronxTigger
11-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Let's see....I don't know anyone who has gotten a ring at the MK but I can think of a few spots that tend to be a little more secluded that may be good locations.

One spot would be the rose garden area between the Castle and Tomorrowland.

Another area would be the little walkway that goes between Cosmic Rays and the back of the Castle. There is a little "well" type fountain thingy that is along this path.

Another area, that may or may not be roped off, is kind of hidden behind the Christmas shop at Liberty Square. It has (had?) a Pocahontas theme to it but it is off the beaten path and has a view of the castle.

Another area could be on the walkway between Space Mountain and Toontown except that this isn't as good because you can't see the castle as well and the fumes from the cars can be obnoxious. However, if you're there before Toontown opens (usually 1 hour after the park) the pathway can be empty.

I've heard that you can have the ring given in a glass slipper if you are eating at CRT restaurant inside the castle. I'm not sure the details on this; but it requires CRT reservations (hard to get) and probably an extra cost.

The resort can probably do something if they are called ahead of time. I'd have your friend call the front desk and find out what options are available; I'm sure the level of resort will play into this.

Good luck!

ParkMan
11-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Yep - CRT does indeed do a ring in a glass slipper.

My wife & I were there for our 10th last summer. The couple next to us (with the perfect view out the window) did exactly that. It was very sweet - the staff made it a very romantic moment and then they happy couple got a TON of attention from the staff and characters. The future groom had set it up in advance with the restuarant staff. There was a special coordinator that came by several times after that to make sure everything was just right.

I know it's not the Magic Kingdom, but we saw another proposal the next day in the Beatuy & a Beast show at MGM. The warm up band played up that they were giving a birthday gift out and then called her name out. She and her boyfriend came up to the front to receive the "gift". When they gave her the gift, they asked if she or he would like to say anything. He took the microphone and then proposed.

I think the previous poster is right on. I think you can probably do many things - it depends how creative your friend wants to get. I'd suggest being creative and calling Disney well ahead of time.

disneydave4479
11-05-2007, 09:18 AM
I wanted to propose in front of the castle in MK, but the park was full up Dec 31st, 2006...so we did a little park hopping and ended up in DHS. I then popped the question later in the evening right nearby the Osborne Spectacle of Lights. A CM was nearby and we got him to take a picture of us. My now DW absolutely loved it :mickey:

RobWreck
11-05-2007, 10:16 AM
My wife and I got engaged right in the breezeway of Cinderella's castle. We took some time to look at the murals, retelling the story at each one. When we got to the one with Prince Charming on one knee putting the slipper on Cinderella... ;)
Rob
(Just hit 6 years last week...so it must've turned out pretty well)

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-05-2007, 10:41 AM
My now DH proposed at MK, and it was so awesome!

We were watching Wishes, right in front of the castle, and at the end he came over, got down on one knee and told me that his wish was to be with me forever. I cried, said yes, we kissed, the people around us clapped...it was totally perfect!

I don't think he thought of getting the CM's involved though...

When we returned for our honeymoon (what better place, than to return to the scene of the "crime"), we both used the Disney florist to have gifts in the room for each other, so that might be something to look at as well.

prprincess
11-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Hubby proposed to me back in 2001 by the little fountain between TL and the castle. He'd planned to do it in front of the castle, but there was a stage set up for whatever show was being featured at the time.

He did look into getting help from a CM, but had no luck and was referred to a woman in Orlando who helps people make "wishes" come true. I'm sorry--I forget what her name and URL was, but maybe if you Google "engagement at walt disney world" or something you'll find her.

WDWFREAK101
11-06-2007, 07:56 AM
if i were your friend, i would propose on these places in the MK

On Astro Orbiter when they are doing wishes (Don't go on the ride. My family always does this at the end of the day. We get in line as soon as the fireworks start, then when we get up there, the CM lets us stand on the platform untill the fireworks stop. Then we get an extra ride on the ONLY running ride that is available to guests.) Anyway, there is a part in Wishes that is really quiet at first and then gets really loud and fireworks fill up the sky. Ask the question during the quiet point.

JabberJaws
11-07-2007, 11:37 AM
I proposed to my wife at WDW, though not at the MK. Here is how I did it...

Proposed during a surprise carriage ride around the Port Orleans resorts. The driver knew about the proposal, so she pulled over in a secluded area so I could get out and walk w/ my wife to propose.

Following the carriage ride, I took her to a surprise dinner at the Calif Grill. Again, notified the CMs ahead of time about the engagement, so they had a window seat (with perfect view of the fireworks) set up for us, with confetti on the table and 2 complimentary glasses of champagne.

Following the dinner, I had arranged with the CMs at our hotel (POFQ) to set up a bottle of champagne, 2 personalized disney champagne flutes (from Arribas Bros at DTD), along with some other goodies provided courtesy of the hotel, in our room while we were at dinner. So when we got to the room all of that was waiting on us.

Among the other items set up in the room were a photo of mickey and minnie in a tux and dress, personalized and autographed by none-other-than Mickey and Minnie. A framed painting of Mickey and Minnie, a bar of fancy dark chocolate (Ghiradelli), ballons and flowers. Most of these last items were arranged by my parents, but they simply gave the CMs a budget and let them pick some stuff out.

ALL of this was done without my wife EVER finding out about it leading up to the engagement. The CMs do a good job of being discreet!

Needless to say, the CMs will do A LOT for you to make a special event even more special. They practically bent over backwards (and with a smile might I add) for me. So tell your friend to not be afraid to let his creativity loose and ask the CMs at the resort or whever to help.

Figgyluv03
11-07-2007, 12:32 PM
My dream spot would be outside of the castle next to the wishing well. I use to sneak back there and read a book. It's probably one of my favorite relax spots in Disney. I'm been talking to my best friend about it to see if she can drop hints to DBF for our trip next year, but he's kind of in the dog house right now, so I'm not really sure.

Mnchknbrat1982
11-07-2007, 02:24 PM
I just got engaged in September at the Magic Kingdom in fact Alan asked the question in front of the castle with it all lite up for the night in "purple". It was very romantic!Took me by total surprise as I had no clue he was planning to do this.

I also had one of the photopass photographers take our picture right after it happened.

LittleRoosMommy
11-07-2007, 09:22 PM
I also got engaged on New Year's Eve 2001 at Magic Kingdom. DH (DBF at the time) had chosen a spot in front of the Castle for the Very Merry Christmas Parade and right before the parade started he proposed! We had the couple next to us take a picture of us in "our spot" Now everytime we go back to MK, we have our picture taken in "our spot" We've been back several times since then and as we add to our family, we always make sure to get a picture in "our spot." In fact, we were just there in Oct, and we got lucky, there was a photopass photographer taking pictures near "our spot", so we asked him if we could have our picture there! It was perfect even 6 years later!
I think anywhere around the castle would be perfect for a proposal. Also, CRT is beautiful and great spot as well. When we were there in Oct. with our girls, a couple got engaged. It was beautiful!
Your friend could call ahead and try to arrange something with the resort or parks. Guest services/conceirge may be able to help. Also, Disney florist may also be able to have something delivered in the parks or room as well. Good luck to your friend!!

LoriMistress
11-07-2007, 09:35 PM
There are many places in Epcot (like the WS) that would be wonderful places to propose.

Victor Kelly
11-07-2007, 10:45 PM
I plan on doing this very thing next October with my girlfriend. The only question is where. Even though I have been to Disney over 40 times, the solution to this question eludes me.

So many places and only 1 chance.

RobWreck
11-07-2007, 11:09 PM
I plan on doing this very thing next October with my girlfriend. The only question is where. Even though I have been to Disney over 40 times, the solution to this question eludes me.

So many places and only 1 chance.

Take a hint from those of us that used the castle... there's a convenient moat nearby for her should she give the wrong answer when you bare your soul and ask 'Will you...?'
:snorkel: :thedolls: ;)
Rob

DisneyTeen
11-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Just proposed to my girlfriend on Wednesday the 14th on Main Street in front of the castle. Now we were unable to have family and friends there, but I still wanted a way to let everyone see what was happening and so that it would be a memory that we would have forever. So first thing when we got into Magic Kingdom, i said lets get a picture, so we went to a photopass cast member and he told us where to stand, I also gave him my camara and he said he would take a picture. As he went to count down, like 1 - 2 -3 , at 2 I stopped him and got on one knee and he just started to take a ton of pictures with our camara. The pictures look great because you can see the whole castle in the back ground. It worked out really well. Everyone was yelling and clapping for us.

biodtl
11-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Congratulations! That sounds wonderful - you should share a photo with us!

Victor Kelly
11-18-2007, 07:20 PM
I am thinking Castle. We will be there next year for the Halloween celebration. I like the idea of a night proposal, I dont know why?

tinklover
11-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Congrats to all of you who were able to get engadged at disney I am soooooooooooooo Jealous. it has been my life long dream to be propsed to at Disney since i KNOW i will nevr be able to afford a wedding at Disney :( . we were there in May and we had spoken about marriage about 10 months into our relationship so i figured with him knowing my life long dream he wouldpop the question there. he didn't. when we got home he was asked if he didit and his responce was "no she was expecting it" :mad:
i was so not expecting it i was reliving my first trip to Disney thru his eyes and my 2 DD's eyes . we are going back in june so ( fingers crossed) i am hoping he will do it then. I won;t be "expecting" it either:secret:

Dopeysgal
11-24-2007, 03:55 PM
I got engaged at MK in 2004 and I have the pics to prove it!!!!

We were rushing to MK to see Spectromagic and Wishes on our last night. We were at the foot of Main Street by the train and I was snapping pictures of the Spectro floats as they passed by. I got annoyed because FH was tugging on the charm bracelet I had made at the hotel. (I later found out he was trying to sneak the engagement ring charm onto it). After Spectro, we actually walked up main street toward the castle with the parade (it was January, so low crowds, and it was a really cold night, so it was even emptier). We scored a seat on the benches that go around the Partners Statue facing the Castle to wait 1/2 hour for Wishes. It was SO cold. Suddnely FH says "Let's have our picture taken in front of the castle!" So he goes over to this middle-aged man with 2 kids and hands him the camera and talks to him for a little longer than it takes to say "Could you please take our picture?".. Then he spent a lot of time lining us up perfectly in front of the lit up castle, and he starts to say "Jennifer, i love you..." And so I start yelling at him "what are you doing? This guy is trying to take our picture! Hurry up!" The next thing I know he's on one knee! And we have pics! Totally perfect (If only the guy had held the camera vertically so you could see the castle). Anyway it was a dream come true! Then we watched Wishes as everyone congratulated us. He whispered in my ear "tonight those hearts are for us" (referring to the heart fireworks in Wishes that i love so much).

And we're going to use Wishes as our last dance at our wedding, including Jiminy Cricket's "thank you" speech.

Tigger&Stitch
11-30-2007, 11:53 PM
We *almost* did...on our first trip to WDW together, we went to the Rose and Crown for (now) DH's birthday. Our reservation was quite late, so by the time we were done eating dessert, the park was empty (except for random CMs).

We took a stroll the long way around to the exit, and DH told me later he would have proposed that night in front of Paris or Italy - even Morocco - if the ring had been ready before we left for the trip! :doh:

We later did have an awesome engagement at our favorite pub (where we had our wedding reception), but it would have been perfect that night.

To answer your question, though, I'd say try to sort out whether she would like a public engagement or a private engagement. Try to go for something that is personal to you guys - have you been to WDW together before? Do you have a special memory of your trip/s together that you often speak of?

Once you sort that out - whether it's a special ride, or location - and you need help to pull it off, then contact the appropriate Disney people to help.

Good luck and congrats!! :D

Figaro
12-01-2007, 12:14 AM
While working at WL one day, we had a fireworks cruise that had setup for a proposal, so they went out onto the lake, probably watched the fireworks, and then he probably proposed. That's one way to do it. :thumbsup: He had us hide a gift basket with some goodies (including a glass slipper) on the boat...

RocknRoller94
12-11-2007, 10:41 PM
I've never really thought about it before, but I would suggest on an after dark cruise on the Liberty Bell. Good Luck!

PirateLover
12-13-2007, 12:31 AM
I just got engaged in the MK:mickey:
After Wishes, my bf walked me down to the benches in the Rose Garden. At this time the Christmas Tree was still there (hadn't been moved back yet from parade taping) and the Castle lit up with lights was in full view. We were all alone. He popped the question. It was nice.:cloud9:

floogen6
12-13-2007, 10:20 PM
I proposed to my DW in 2004 at MVMCP in front of a light pole outside the Emporium. The "snow" was falling and it worked out beautifully. When we went back last year with our Brady Bunch we showed them our pole.

WDW_Obsessed
12-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I got engaged at Epcot. I can't even tell you how amazing it was! My favorite resturaunt EVER is Le Celiar, so one night we went out for dinner at Le Celiar. When we got there there took such good care of us and offered to take our coats. I asked my now fiancee if we could take a picture and he said the camera was in his coat pocket which the manager had taken. I thought it was wierd, but whatever. He seemed so nervous and didn't even finish his food. I thought he was sick! All of the sudden my fiancee announced it was time for dessert and the servere brought a piece of cake with the castle airbrushed on it and the ring right on top! Vance got on his knee and everybody watched and cheered when I said yes. They popped champagne, had a card the staff all signed, and took us out to a special spot they reserved for us to watch illuminations. They even set up champagne and strawberries for us to watch illuminations. It was great! My fiancee said he's been working with the concierge at Pop and the staff at Le Celiar for weeks and they were absolutely great!:mickey: