PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Guide to Disney World

deebee29
11-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Saw the 2008 version at the bookstore for $25-ish. Is it worth the investment, and what does it contain? There's only one left!

tadshome
11-03-2007, 03:39 PM
I think that it is worth every penny! I would not go to Disney without it :mickey:

BronxTigger
11-03-2007, 03:44 PM
It's very informative. To some people, it seems overly critical but I think that they try to balance both sides of the story. It gives very thorough reviews of every ride, hotel, and restaurant on site accompanied by reader's letters.

Before you rush to the bookstore (if it's a decent bookstore they can order you one if that one sells out), why don't you check online sites like amazon or similar to see if you can get it for cheaper?

Do note that the book does not change significantly from year to year; it's only updated so if you have a recent edition then you don't really need the newer one. Additionally, you may be able to get a 2007 edition for really cheap and it will still be extremely useful for you.

illini
11-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Absolutely worth it. Some people do feel it's too critical, but I don't. Just because it's Disney doesn't make everything there perfect. Very informative.
If you look over there <------ to your left under ICOT affiliates, you can click on amazon.com and look for it there. I think you can also find it under Intercot shop up there ^.

mulderxcoltrane
11-03-2007, 07:02 PM
To echo what everyone said (and offer another endorsement) it's a great book.
I'll PM you the link to the website of the book that has touring plans and a crowd calendar.

tarkin
11-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Would it be possible to have that link, too? I Googled it but couldn't find anything. Thanks!:)

Wolf
11-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Ok I'm gona be in the minority here but I hated that book, we bought it and it did nothing but depress us. It didn't have anything Passporter lacked (We thought) and it was so cynical, it seemed like the writters thought of WDW as a chore instead of a fun vacation! I'd vote to pick up the Passporter instead and I can't recomend that one enough its a beautiful, colorful and very helpful book! Lots of facts that are super helpful and the awesome planning guides really helped us alot! just my 2 cents though...

kaylamag
11-04-2007, 09:38 AM
I got the book last month and i love it! I found it very informative. You should be able to get it much cheaper that $25 though. I paid $13 online at Barnes and Noble.

azdisneymom
11-04-2007, 10:29 AM
We actually picked up a copy at the library and have enjoyed it. Will probably buy a copy for on the plane.

JRocker
11-04-2007, 01:45 PM
This book was one of the best ones I've picked up. A lot of useful unbiased information in it.

HOLITRIN
11-05-2007, 07:20 AM
One of the books that I highly recommend is "The Complete Walt Disney World". This book is extremely well done. I liked it much better that Passporter or Unofficial guide. :number1:

Magic Smiles
11-05-2007, 08:09 PM
We have both the Unofficial Guide and the Passporter. I am actually thinking about buying the 2008 edition of the Unofficial Guide before we leave for our next trip in 29 days. I love it. Can't say that for the Passporter. Passporter has pretty coloured pictures but not nearly as much information. Just my opinion.

GrumpyFan
11-05-2007, 09:29 PM
The Unofficial Guide is packed full of information, but at 864 pages, it can be difficult sometimes to quickly find specific information. It's more like a reference book for all things WDW-related. However, if you can find what you're looking for, you probably won't be disappointed.

I like the Unofficial Guide, but I found the 2007 edition to be severely lacking with regards to the Disney Dining Plan. I haven't seen the 2008 edition, so I can't comment on that specific issue. Another thing I found lacking with it was the maps and graphics, they just weren't that good.

My wife is really big on the Passporter, which is about half the size and has better graphics.

wdwnomad
11-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Why spend the money when you can get all of the information for free here!

mulderxcoltrane
11-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Why spend the money when you can get all of the information for free here!

I had a tough time with that isuse myself - but when it came down to it, we liked having the information portable.
In addition, the guide has a team of researchers who constantly test touring plans and runs statistical analyses to come up with the most efficient advice. The down side of message boards is that they're based solely on people's opinions. This book (at least the touring plan/advice sections) are based on research.

Hope that helps - it's just my opinon :)

Tink#64
11-05-2007, 11:47 PM
LOVE the Unofficial Guide!:thumbsup:

It's my favorite. I buy a new guide bok, or 2 :blush: for each trip. I'm strange, I actually enjoy reading these books. Just can't get enough Disney. I've bought many guidebooks, and IMHO this is the best! All the info you need, & I believe they just give a very honest account of what you may or may not encounter at WDW! Birnbaums(the Offical Guidebook for WDW) is great for all first timers! Beautiful pictures & descriptions of the attractions. But the UG gives you all the details of what to expect.

True, not any change to speak of between years as far as existing attractions go, only new attractions, restaurants, prices etc. Which also changes the touring plans that are included if you are interested in those. I have taken info from these & changed to fit my families ideas for touring the parks!

Overall, you simply can't go wrong with the UG, but I know if I hadn't been so impatient to get mine last year, I could have saved a few dollars on Amazon. I saw it when I was purchasing some other WDW books from that site. We love to get all of the trivia & hidden Mickey books too! We love to discover new things at WDW! All of these books are just a treasure trove of little known facts about WDW!:mickey:

irish1967
11-06-2007, 09:03 AM
I like the UG enough to check it out of the library every year but not enough to pay for it.

It does have good information in it, though and I do have a recent copy that I like to sit down a read when I want a Disney fix!

deebee29
11-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks everyone. I caved and bought it at the bookstore for $25! Not the best deal but I was too impatient! Looking into buying the passporter guide as well.

jclightchasr
11-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Stick with Birmbaums unless you just like reading a bunch of criticism. Some people are used to it. If you enjoy watching the nightly news you'll like the UG otherwise I would steer clear. Criticism can be helpful but when planning for a WDW vacation I prefer to "see stars".

DawsonAR
11-08-2007, 07:13 PM
We love the unofficial guide. We buy it every year and much of the information is the same, but there are always changes and updates.