PDA

View Full Version : AKL construction update?

ToDisney
11-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I read this while searching for information on the AKL construction. I was hoping for an update.

All 5th and 6th Story Lodge Rooms will be converted to Disney Vacation Club Units
Conversion of the 407 - 437 section of the Zebra Trail is scheduled for completion in July 2007
Conversion of the 456 - 596 section of the Zebra Trail is scheduled for completion in September 2007
Conversion of the Kudu Trail is scheduled for completion in December 2007
Conversion of the Ostrich Trail, Giraffe Trail and Lobby Sections are scheduled for completion in May 2008
Now I am wondering if the schedule was changed a little. I read recent posts about the lobby having black drapes covering the top floors? I am concerened about the way that will look at Christmas. Does anyone know any updated news?
Maybe they have plans to move on past the lobby by Christmas?? If anyone has been there recently, what areas are under construction now?
Thanks so much.:tree:
We haven't stayed there before, and of course (as all of us do), I want it to be the best!!!
:santa:

BugeyedMuggy
11-03-2007, 03:15 PM
When we were ther very end of Sept the black drapes were up but you really could not see it unless you were looking way up. It is done with as much taste as black drapes can have. I didn't feel as it took anything away from the resort.

WheresWalt
11-03-2007, 03:39 PM
We just got back last week and the drapes are not an issue. They are high up and will not cause any trouble with pics of the lobby at Christmas.

We were on the 4th floor of Kudu Trail and could hear the construction above us after 9am. They are hard at work.

The Kidani Village complex is also well underway so you will probably see the construction site if you are on that side of the resort but it doesn't interfere with the animals in anyway. We still saw plenty or giraffes, zebras, cattle and most especially the piggies, Red River Hogs. We even heard their keepers call them by name. Apparently they are named after "Dukes of Hazard" characters. Roscoe and Coaltrain were both being rather lazy one day during their pen move. :D

ToDisney
11-04-2007, 01:54 AM
Thanks so much. It's nice to hear for someone who's been so recently.
We will have a standard room, so I guess we won't hear much of the noise on the front of the resort.

What about the bridge that runs across the lobby? Has it been closed? I'm glad that the lobby won't be to affected. I am having a hard time getting my DH interested in this trip. So I am using AKL and it's decor. and the Christmas decorations to help!

By the way, WheresWalt, sounds like you liked AKL enough to buy a DVC there??
Congrats!! Is the Kidani Village where they are building another pool? or?? Did you tour the DVC on this trip? Just curious.

THANKS!!:mickey:

WheresWalt
11-11-2007, 02:16 AM
Thanks so much. It's nice to hear for someone who's been so recently.
We will have a standard room, so I guess we won't hear much of the noise on the front of the resort.

What about the bridge that runs across the lobby? Has it been closed? I'm glad that the lobby won't be to affected. I am having a hard time getting my DH interested in this trip. So I am using AKL and it's decor. and the Christmas decorations to help!

By the way, WheresWalt, sounds like you liked AKL enough to buy a DVC there??
Congrats!! Is the Kidani Village where they are building another pool? or?? Did you tour the DVC on this trip? Just curious.

THANKS!!:mickey:

The bridge in the lobby is I think on the 5th floor and is not accessible.

Yep, there will be another pool and a big kid's water play area at Kidani. And a new sit down restaurant, be still my heart and stomach. AKL is my favorite eating resort with Boma and Jiko. Even The Mara is good.

We did do the tour, actually for the second time. We did Boardwalk villas tour on our honeymoon many moons ago when we were but poor yeoman newlyweds just out of college without a dime to our names. Been thinking about it since then.

We actually visited the models twice as kiddo was in the DVC kid's club the first time while we went over all the detail with the rep. Once he walked in the door to the model, he made himself at home in the living room of the 1 BR and point blank refused to budge. Hey, it's home.

Oh, yeah, we stayed in a pool view the first time we went and fell in love with the actual resort then. Love the look, the feel, even the smell. Then we stayed in a savanna room and well... that "zebra view" room can't be beat IMO.

You all have a great time!! :mickey:

ToDisney
11-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks So Much!!!
I have been second guessing my decision about this SOOO much! But reading your post really makes me smile, and look forward to our trip. Although WL seems everyones 1st choice, I really think my family will like AKL. Except for the boat to MK, it will have everything and more!!
Now back to the countdown!!
28 days til DISNEY
:paw::paw::paw::paw: