PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice...

snowflakegirl
11-02-2007, 09:49 AM
DH and I have been planning a WDW vacation (hopefully) with my parents and sister for this coming August.

I recently found out about a national conference that's happening in Orlando at the end of June that I'm going to attempt to go to. My question for all of you Intercotees is: Should we consider moving our trip up so that it comes on the tail end of the conference and I only have to make one trek down to FL this summer? Or keep things as they are. Attendence-wise any idea how croweded June 24th - July 1st would be over August 13th - 20th? Temperature? Anything else I should be thinking about?

I know ideally summer is not necessarilly the best time to go, and I'm not crazy about the idea, but I'm a school psychologist so I only have school vacations as an option. My sister's college is on a shorter year than typical colleges so when my spring break is in April is the week before finals start for her and not a time when she join us. My family went during the summer when we were kids, but I don't really remember typical crowdedness, heat, etc and it's been a while so things change.

Thanks! :mickey:

faline
11-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Both time frames will be crowded, hot, and humid. Personally, I'd want to keep the conference separate from my family vacation.

illini
11-02-2007, 11:32 AM
I didn't see the resort pricing for 2008 here on Intercot, but if it stays similar to 2007, you'll be looking at about a $25/night difference on the room. Your dates in August fall during 2007's value season, and June in summer season. I also think that you'd be cutting it awfully close to the July 4th crowds. That late in August, I think the crowds would be slightly less, especially toward the end of your trip.

I also agree with Faline about keeping them separate.

Personally, I'd stick with August.

WishingStar2006
11-02-2007, 11:41 AM
I agree that August is your best bet and keep the two trips seperate. By mid August the crowds are starting to ease and although it's really really HOT :sun: there are pools, water parks and the water rides to take breaks! August is my favorite!!! It's value season (for lodging prices), the crowds are easing, the parks are still open late, and I tell you the mornings are SOOOOO nice....just take your coffee (mine is diet coke) and sit by the water (pool/Bay Lake/whatever you can find), enjoy the breeze and birds and the people watching.....boy, now I'm SOOOO homesick for Disney World! Have a great time!!!!

King Triton
11-02-2007, 12:56 PM
I'd be inclined to keep them separate. I've done the late August trip a couple of times and the crowds definitely drop off the second half of the month as opposed to earlier in the summer.

There is a slight increase in the chance of a hurricane in August, but I wouldn't get too hung up on that.

if you do wind up with the split trip, you might want to consider getting yourself an Annual Pass...that way you get to enjoy WDW on your nights off while in Orlando and you might be able to take advantage of some discounted rooms, etc. on your vacation.