PDA

View Full Version : AP Rates Gone WAY Up??

mjaclyn
11-01-2007, 10:01 AM
I just contacted Magical Journeys to reserve a room under the new AP Rate for the end of January. The cheapest Deluxe we could find was Animal Kingdom Lodge at $225 per night for a Standard view room. I am shocked at how much the rates have gone up over the past two years. I just found a confirmation email for the EXACT SAME DATES when DH and I went in January of 2006. I had booked an Animal Kingdom Lodge Studio room on November 9th, 2005 and only paid $121.45 per night!!! Now, I definitely expect some kind of increase from Jan. 2006 to Jan. 2008, but over $100 per night?? AP rates really aren't what they used to be at all. They hardly save you anything! Just for fun I had looked up the Poly and it's still $345 a night - What is it usually? $380 per night? Disney has really lessened the value of an AP in my eyes.

HOLITRIN
11-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Unfortunately, that's the trend. It comes down to the law of Supply and Demand. Disney doesn't seem to have a slow season and most people prefer to stay at a deluxe or mod. If the demand were to drop, you would see better rates.

Ian
11-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Wow ... that's pretty shocking for such a slow time of the year.

I mean that's a BAD rate, period. I've never been offered a rate over $200 a night at AKL.

Makes me even happier I finally bought into DVC.

Crow
11-01-2007, 10:28 AM
yes, thats why when i had AP previously i didnt renew.
now i got an AP again, since the price diff between my hopper & AP wasnt too much more and i figured i would b back within a yr.
id like some better rates but those days may b gone. at least i can get a DDE card now for $65 and not worry about DDP.
if i go i may be at a value at least part of the time.

KylesMom
11-01-2007, 11:04 AM
We too have been disappointed in the A/P rates that have been offered for our dates of travel the past two years. Gone are the days of the CR for under $200 / night.

However, we've also found that A/Ps are still the way to go for us in tandem with the DDE. We've actually found, through MJ, that AAA room-only discounts are at least a viable option if A/P rates aren't offered for our select resort and travel dates.

DH wanted me to "do the math", and was shocked to find out that one trip of 15 days doing MYW was more expensive than an A/P which lasts us for two years. I wonder if A/P purchases are down because of the lack of room discounts offered? At any rate, I'm sure that many folks are disappointed with the lack of good offers being put out there.

Hammer
11-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Notice as well that Wilderness Lodge is now more expensive than Animal Kingdom Lodge, where they had the same price matrix before. Wilderness Lodge rooms cost $25 more than Animal Kingdom Lodge rooms. Really, it was only a matter of time before Disney started to charge more for Wilderness Lodge’s location.

Really, an AP rate of $225 (before taxes) for Animal Kingdom Lodge? $250 for WL? $345 is the discounted rate at the Polynesian. For fun, I checked the rate for 1 night at a Four Seasons in Hawaii vs. the Polynesian AP rate. The rack rate at the Four Seasons hotel was the same as the AP rate at the Poly! Disney may be able to get away with this for now, but it will catch up with them once the Four Seasons opens up on property as a portion of the people who stay at WDW deluxe resorts will abandon them to stay at the Four Seasons for the same price.

DizneyRox
11-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Never purchase an AP for room discounts. The decision to get an AP should be based on park admission days only.

It appears that AKL has become a little more popular. I have stayed at AKL Concierge for less than a standard room rate goes for now. It's just silly...

The problem is, people are willing to pay it.

King Triton
11-01-2007, 12:50 PM
HOLITRIN said it well...its all supply and demand. There's a big demand for AKL and WL rooms, so the discount is quite small.

I stayed in a WL room in '05 for $135 a night (AP discount) and stayed the exact same time earlier this year for $218 a night...also an AP discount.

The AP discount on the Values and Moderates still seems to be quite good. We also stayed at CBR this summer for $89 a night (AP). Actually, to spread out, we took two rooms at CBR and it was still quite a bit less than one room at WL. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of CBR and would be happy to stay there again if the WL/AKL rates stay as high as they are.

BigRedDad
11-01-2007, 12:57 PM
I am not sure if this is part of it or not, but international travelers are going there in droves (at least that is what my parents have told me). The US dollar is at an all time low which allows international travelers to come over for pennies. I know one of my colleagues in England has two 2-week trips planned and was shocked at the cost difference with the Euro vs US$.

Crow
11-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Notice as well that Wilderness Lodge is now more expensive than Animal Kingdom Lodge, where they had the same price matrix before. Wilderness Lodge rooms cost $25 more than Animal Kingdom Lodge rooms. Really, it was only a matter of time before Disney started to charge more for Wilderness Lodge’s location.

Really, an AP rate of $225 (before taxes) for Animal Kingdom Lodge? $250 for WL? $345 is the discounted rate at the Polynesian. For fun, I checked the rate for 1 night at a Four Seasons in Hawaii vs. the Polynesian AP rate. The rack rate at the Four Seasons hotel was the same as the AP rate at the Poly! Disney may be able to get away with this for now, but it will catch up with them once the Four Seasons opens up on property as a portion of the people who stay at WDW deluxe resorts will abandon them to stay at the Four Seasons for the same price.

we can hope that the 4 Seasons may spur some competition. as much as i love WL the price is starting to drive me more towards the others.
i actually dont stay there for its location to MK as i love Epcot more.

DDuck66
11-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Never purchase an AP for room discounts. The decision to get an AP should be based on park admission days only.

It appears that AKL has become a little more popular. I stay at AKLConcierge for less than a standard room rate goes for now. It's just silly...

The problem is, people are willing to pay it.

I totally agree with the above post. I bought my AP's because of the number of times that I visit the parks...any discounts that I get are just a bonus. We usually go to the parks at least every other month so the AP's are the way to go.

Ian
11-02-2007, 09:36 AM
I totally agree with the above post. I bought my AP's because of the number of times that I visit the parks...any discounts that I get are just a bonus. We usually go to the parks at least every other month so the AP's are the way to go.:ditto:

You should only buy an AP if you plan on entering the theme parks at least 14 days in a year. That's generally the break-even point.

Any other perks you get above and beyond that should be considered gravy.

pooh0601
11-02-2007, 10:23 AM
14 days??? No way...you can break even a LOT less than that. Maybe for 1 trip, but if you are going to visit WDW several times during the year for 2 or 3 days even. And maybe throw a 1 day visit in here or there. You can break even by going only like 6 or 7 days. Because if you by a MYW ticket and add the park hopper option and the no exp. date option(because you want it to last at least 1 year like the seasonal or AP) it's about the same price. We buy the seasonal pass, because we never have any desire to go during the blackout dates. It's just too crowded to go during Easter Week, X-Mas Week, and then they block out the hottest time of the year(that's fine with me!!) :)

The DDE card is truly the best part/steal of the deal. The money we save over the cost of a year with that card pays for the card for the next year as well!

Hammer
11-02-2007, 10:50 AM
:ditto:

You should only buy an AP if you plan on entering the theme parks at least 14 days in a year. That's generally the break-even point.

Oh, I agree with you in regards to buying the AP. I was just pointing out the overall pricing with a "discount" in general, which could get you a room at a Four Seasons at their rack rate for the same price.

DizneyRox
11-02-2007, 01:04 PM
we can hope that the 4 Seasons may spur some competition.
I wouldn't count on it. I don't think Disney would "allow" that sort of competition. They are building ON Disney property correct? Or at least it was. I wouldn't be surprised if contractually they couldn't compete.

The hotels out on Hotel Blvd near DTD could be a lot cheaper, but the prices seem to always however around the value rates, give or take. there must be a reason for that.

I think we'll find that the 4 seasons prices charge a premium over their normal properties, just because of the location.

JPL
11-02-2007, 01:14 PM
When you have record breaking attendance figures you can get away with cutting back on discounts. You won't see deeper discounts until attendance falls off. The deepest dicounts were during lulls in the economy and travel industry especially right after 9/11. Right Disney feels why give them a 40-50% discount when people are coming anyway let's cut it back to a 20-30% and they will still feel like they are getting a deal.

Hammer
11-02-2007, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't count on it. I don't think Disney would "allow" that sort of competition. They are building ON Disney property correct? Or at least it was. I wouldn't be surprised if contractually they couldn't compete.

The hotels out on Hotel Blvd near DTD could be a lot cheaper, but the prices seem to always however around the value rates, give or take. there must be a reason for that.

I think we'll find that the 4 seasons prices charge a premium over their normal properties, just because of the location.

I can't imagine that the Four Seasons would agree to those sort of conditions. Disney went in on this deal, which will be built on Disney property; because I believe they realized that they were not going to be able create a level of hotel which will appeal to the sort of traveler who stays at a Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton type hotel. The people who will stay at the Four Seasons want to be on property for the convenience when they take their children to Disney, but don't want the "all Disney, all the time" experience that most of us on this board enjoy. They want the small guest to staff ratio that is common at these hotels. They in effect want to be pampered in a way that Disney does not have the staff to provide. By going into an agreement with the Four Seasons, they acknowledged that fact. Disney needed the Four Seasons more than the Four Seasons needed Disney.

Spaceship Tigger
11-05-2007, 07:30 AM

Maybe now.

But in the past when AP discounts were 35 to 40 percent, that was the way to go, especially if you were staying in a deluxe. And even now, a 20-25% or so AP discount while staying in a deluxe will beat the savings by the paid-for DDP.

DizneyRox
11-05-2007, 07:42 AM
I can't imagine that the Four Seasons would agree to those sort of conditions. Disney went in on this deal, which will be built on Disney property; because I believe they realized that they were not going to be able create a level of hotel which will appeal to the sort of traveler who stays at a Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton type hotel. The people who will stay at the Four Seasons want to be on property for the convenience when they take their children to Disney, but don't want the "all Disney, all the time" experience that most of us on this board enjoy. They want the small guest to staff ratio that is common at these hotels. They in effect want to be pampered in a way that Disney does not have the staff to provide. By going into an agreement with the Four Seasons, they acknowledged that fact. Disney needed the Four Seasons more than the Four Seasons needed Disney.
I don't know... I understand we're comparing apples to bananas here, but the contract with The Children's Place was mostly to move the employees over to CP. Disney still held creative control over most of the operations, including much of the merchandise decisions. CP didn't have to pay licensing for a few years on the products.

So, I'm not sure that a no compete clause wouldn't be so far out in left field. Disney is VERY schrewd when it comes to contracts.

TheRustyScupper
11-05-2007, 12:34 PM
1) Please remember, AP's are meant for admission savings.
2) They never promised room discount quantities or amounts.
3) These were just added perks of buying an AP.

NOTE: Room discounts are increased/decreased and the amount of discounts are increased/decreased based upon how well rooms are booked in advance. If they have good bookings, they don't need to influence AP bookings by big discounts.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
11-07-2007, 07:32 PM
:ditto:

aaaaactually... it only took us only 4 day trips (we park hopped on 3 days and just did DHS on 1 day -- all within the first 2 weeks of having it, plus parking rates at a total of $44 for 4 trips) to break even on our pass. We have been at least once a week, plus 2 stays onsite since we got our passes...