PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving: What can I expect?

Killer
10-30-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm travelling to Disney World, MGM, and Animal Kingdom for Thanksgiving. What can I expect? Crowds? Any special shows / decorations / themes?

DisneyAddict62
10-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Crowds, Christmas decorations, crowds, Holidays Around the World at Epcot, crowds, not really any Thanksgiving things at all, oh, and did I mention the crowds?! :mickey:

We'll be there also!!! Just make sure you use Fastpass and things go okay!

buzznwoodysmom
10-31-2007, 12:29 AM
We will be there also and I am going there expecting crowds, crowds and more crowds. We know we won't be able to do everything and take it easy like we normally do, but we are alright with that, were just excited to be there. Just know that there will be lots of people and many long lines, but try to just enjoy being there. Make good use of fastpass, enjoy the Christmas decorations, try to take a break from the parks and tour the different resorts for a welcomed change of pace. When things get hectic just remember, a bad/crowded day at disney is better than a good day back at home or at work. Have a great time!!!:turkey::santa:

goofiecrazy
10-31-2007, 08:19 AM
We were there in 2004 for thanksgivng and we got there the weekend before and it was crowded through out the week.But if u are used to the crowds then u will be fine.We spent thanksgiving day over at Sea World and that place was like a ghost town I couldnt beleive that it was that empty.

wedway76
10-31-2007, 09:32 AM
We have been down there several times on Thanksgiving week. I prefer going to Florida when the weather is cold up here in NJ. We don't go in the summer because there are so many things to do up here in the warm weather. With our son in school it was one of the few weeks we could go. We actually love going on Thanksgiving week.

We go down the Saturday before and leave the Tuesday after (airfare on that Tues is usually a LOT less than Sun or Mon). It is crowded but bearable. The closer you are to Thanksgiving weekend the more crowded it is. The Sat through Tues before aren’t bad at all, and the Mon and Tues after is relatively quiet. Even Thanksgiving weekend isn't horrible.

One year we had Thanksgiving Dinner reservations at Cinderella’s Royal Table, so we decided to spend the entire day in the MK. BIG mistake! It got soooo crowded that you couldn’t walk. It took us almost an hour to get from Small World to the park exit. Fantasyland and Main Street were wall to wall people. We headed for EPCOT which was relatively empty. There was even a nice Native American show in front of the USA Pavilion. We came back to the MK at night just for dinner.

As others have said you will be among the first to see all of the Christmas Decorations and parades. There will be holiday music everywhere. You should be able to book a Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.

We also check the weather report when we get there to see if we will have any warm days for the water parks. And if you want to go to a water park, get there early because they often fill up ny 10:00 or 11:00 AM. There is usually only 1 water park open that time of year. They alternate which one closes from year to year.

Also take advantage of FastPass. And remember you can get another FastPass two hours after you get your first. So if you get a FP for Space Mountain at 9:00 and it has a 12:00 return time, you can get a FP for Buzz at 11:00, even though you haven’t ridden SM yet.

You may also have to do some Park Hopping to avoid crowds.

The crowds really aren't that bad. Just DON’T go to the MK on Thanksgiving Day, avoid the parks on their EMH days, use FP and Park Hop and you will be fine. It is a GREAT time to be in Disney World. Have a great time.

mousetrapper
10-31-2007, 11:40 AM
We'll be there Thanksgiving week too. We're prepared for crowds and are following the advice of others posted here.

Another thing we're doing is to take advantage of evening EMH (extra magic hours). The morning EMHs are very crowded, but the evening ones are more manageable, especially since many families with little ones in strollers are in their rooms tucked fast asleep! :cloud9:

One day we're there MK is open until 4 am!! So we're going to try to take a rest that day and go back later to enjoy MK into the wee hours of the morning.:D

I don't think there are any MVMCPs during Thanksgiving week, which is my only disappointment, but I can't wait to see all the Christmas decorations. We're going to make a point of visiting resort lobbies to see their Christmas trees, gingerbread houses, etc., and also watching the Osborne Family lights display at the Disney Studios!:thumbsup:

Enjoy!!

DVCWDWMEMBER
10-31-2007, 12:43 PM
We have also gone to WDW around Thanksgiving. It is pretty crowded the week of Thanksgiving but the week after you pretty much have the park to yourself.
We have done this several times and really enjoy the parks the week after Thanksgiving.
We will be there in 22 days. :woohoo::joy::clappy::yay::car::trio:

I bet you can tell that we are excited about going. :mickey:

Tinkerbell_Beauty
10-31-2007, 12:50 PM
We will be there on Thanksgiving as well :thumbsup:
I can't wait it's our first trip to Disney!
See you there!:cloud9:

wedway76
10-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Another thing we're doing is to take advantage of evening EMH (extra magic hours). The morning EMHs are very crowded, but the evening ones are more manageable, especially since many families with little ones in strollers are in their rooms tucked fast asleep! :cloud9:

One day we're there MK is open until 4 am!! So we're going to try to take a rest that day and go back later to enjoy MK into the wee hours of the morning.:D

I don't think there are any MVMCPs during Thanksgiving week, which is my only disappointment, but I can't wait to see all the Christmas decorations. We're going to make a point of visiting resort lobbies to see their Christmas trees, gingerbread houses, etc., and also watching the Osborne Family lights display at the Disney Studios!:thumbsup:

Enjoy!!

Yes! Good pick-up! :number1:

It pays to avoid parks with EMH during the day but late at night you can make out. One time at 2AM my DS and I were the only 2 people on the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House. We were tempted to crawl into a hammock and spend the night. :secret:

Definitely Osborne in MGM is a MUST see. There are several Osborne threads currently on the boards.

And the only day with MVMCP is Sunday the 25th. :bang: If you are staying into the following week you can catch it.

heidi614
11-04-2007, 07:44 PM
In the past the weekend and M-W before Turkey days are a lighter crowd. MK didn't seem to get crowded until nightime Thanksgiving Day. I heard last year MGM was very crowded and MK not so much. We always go to MK and try to have dinner at the Castle. The Weekend after Thanksgiving gets crowded we always leave the Friday after. Christmas lights are so fun and really take the time to look at all the themed trees. MGM Osbourne Lights a must! It snows! Parades, Parades cannot miss! Get a seat Early! Fantasmic at MGM is a must. Enjoy all the fun and shows, get your fast pass and have a great time :turkey:

busterthebronco
11-04-2007, 10:37 PM
we are going to be there too!
wwe plan on relaking A LOT!
the mk late (after midnight) is our favorite.:pilgram::turkey:

Here we go again...
11-05-2007, 05:22 AM
We were there last year during Thanksgiving... Call me crazy, but I thought the crowds were lower than I expected. Since we had park hoppers we would go to a park and if we felt a little crowded, we would head out to another one. I agree that MGM was one of the more crowded parks, but that we because of the Osborne Lights... and I could care less how crowded it is for that. I would NEVER miss the lights.

If you have not made an ADR for Thanksgiving day, you will need to check into it now. We were able to get dinner at Kona Cafe about 3 weeks before our trip.

Sharon1026
11-06-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm travelling to Disney World, MGM, and Animal Kingdom for Thanksgiving. What can I expect? Crowds? Any special shows / decorations / themes?

It will be very crowded - that's one of their peak weeks of the year. However, the temperature is great at Thanksgiving and makes walking around really comfortable.
Have fun!
Also - make dining reservations NOW if you haven't already.
:stitch2:

DisneyLove06
11-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Wow...how crowded is it exactly...is there another time of the year to compare it too at all? lol.

CandleontheWater
11-11-2007, 05:36 PM
you can expect...ME! Ha ha, I'll be there Thanksgiving week and I was also there last year. It was crowded, but it wasn't horrible. I'd compare it to Memorial day weekend. I'd concentrate on getting to the parks early, and then taking advantage of extra magic hour evenings. The first hour is always a zoo, but the last hour is a great time to fit in a few e-ticket rides. My family and I had a blast last Thanksgiving. Just go in with a good attitude, and you'll have fun no matter what! Maybe we'll see you in line for Its a Small World! :mickey:

AdventurerKim
11-11-2007, 06:55 PM
We will be there too! Five of us that is! Five more days! I can't wait! The closer it gets to Thanksgiving day, the more crowded the parks become. Christmas decorations are constantly going up, and don't miss The Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights! We never miss it. Also, check out the gingerbread houses around the World--Epcot at American Adventure, Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Beach Club, etc. Those are amazing to see. :mickey:

LandFan
11-11-2007, 07:13 PM
We will be there too! We are flying in on THanksgiving evening and are staying through the next week. We can't wait!!!