PDA

View Full Version : Disappointment with Soarin

Septbride2002
10-30-2007, 03:53 PM
So I'm sure I'm in the minority but I was slightly disappointed with Soarin.

The queue in my opinion is really poorly done. You stand on this long ramp (the 1st waiting area) sort of crammed together and watch people make shadow puppets on the wall - then a huge amount of people get to move on to another waiting area. Where you wait again - this area is sort of an industrial looking hallway with nothing to look at. Then you get past this waiting area to the 3rd waiting area which is where you line up to get on to the actual ride. All in all it took me 40 + minutes to get to this point where the wait time was posted at 30 minutes.

We did the baby swap, my husband got his pass and headed on - the only issue is he got to bypass the first waiting area but not the 2nd. So it took him almost 30 minutes to get done. So over an hour for both of us to a ride the ride.

The ride itself was wonderfully done, and the smells are incredible. I truly enjoyed the ride but for the wait we had it was over way to soon. Both my husband and I agree that we'll let the hype die down on this one before we bother to ride it again.

~Amanda

kbean
10-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Sounds like you lucked out. I was able to get a fast pass, do Living with the Land, then walk right on to Soarin. I don't remember any any waiting chambers at all except for one.

emerzmom
10-30-2007, 04:22 PM
I have not been to the WDW Soarin yet but your description sounds just like the DL version. I have to agree with you that the queue on this ride could be better and much more interesting. Part of the great thing about Disney rides is that they actually set up their rides with great queue areas that "prep" you and pump you up for the ride. Soarin is a GREAT ride but I agree with you, the queue could use something more.
17 days and 19 hours to go...woohoo!

jetsdc
10-30-2007, 04:28 PM
The same problem occurs with Fast Pass. You're Fast Pass only entitles you to skip some of the preliminary waiting, but after that you get dumped into the general queue much too early. Not at all like other rides' Fast Pass systems, where you get right to the front. I think this is a real flaw and can easily be addressed by letting Fast Pass holders proceed to the last waiting area (right before you board). As it is now, you've got a minimum 30-minute wait time even with the Fast Pass.

Septbride2002
10-30-2007, 04:38 PM
The same problem occurs with Fast Pass. You're Fast Pass only entitles you to skip some of the preliminary waiting, but after that you get dumped into the general queue much too early. Not at all like other rides' Fast Pass systems, where you get right to the front. I think this is a real flaw and can easily be addressed by letting Fast Pass holders proceed to the last waiting area (right before you board). As it is now, you've got a minimum 30-minute wait time even with the Fast Pass.

100% agree - that is the bigger issue with the baby swap for this ride. My husband ended up with the masses and waited 30 minutes from there.

On other rides when we have used fastpass we typically had a 10 to 15 minute wait. On Tower of Terror I walked right into the room. No waiting for in the lobby with everyone else.

And the queue is just so boring. Nothing to look at - we are getting ready to soar over CA - why is there nothing about CA in the queue? Or evey doing something with the history of flight?

~Amanda

PirateLover
10-30-2007, 05:03 PM
The Soarin queue is definitely the most uninspired of any major ride at WDW, in my opinion. Our first time riding, we got fastpasses around 11am for 7pm! When we went back the fastpass line was quite long, and the standby line was 2 hours. It took us at least 40 mins to get on that ride, and we were in the back row with feet in our face. Needless to say it definitely colored our initial opinion of the ride. Once we got to ride front and center on a later trip, our opinion changed of course:mickey:

Madame Leona
10-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Overall, I was really disappointed in Soarin'. We went in December and did the baby swap but it took forever. When we went back in May, dh and my mom went on but I took a pass and hung out with ds and my dad instead. I don't forsee myself getting on this ride anytime in the near future.

Sweezy
10-30-2007, 05:16 PM
i agree that the queue isnt the most exciting thing out there...and the wait times have not been too friendly either. i still feel like test track is the worst when it comes to wait times though...i cant imagine riding it without a fastpass.

dog-ears
10-30-2007, 06:07 PM
I agree that the waiting area is dull and unimaginative. I've done Soarin with a fastpass and also waiting (when it's 30 min or less only). I won't go on when the line is longer and there's no fast passes.

Too bad they didn't think to pipe some of the smells into the waiting area occasionally!

Polynesian Dweller
10-30-2007, 11:18 PM
We always do Soarn with FastPass for the reasons you've talked about. The ride isn't worth a 70 minute wait, but 20 minutes or so is fine. Also agree, that they sure could work on the queue area to make it more interesting.

EPCOT84
10-31-2007, 02:13 AM
It took us at least 40 mins to get on that ride, and we were in the back row with feet in our face.

:exactly:

Needless to say it definitely colored our initial opinion of the ride.

:exactly:

Once we got to ride front and center on a later trip, our opinion changed of course:mickey:

:exactly::exactly: :fan:

magicofdisney
10-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Both my husband and I agree that we'll let the hype die down on this one before we bother to ride it again.

~Amanda
Good luck with that. Just think....Peter Pan. ;)

Septbride2002
10-31-2007, 09:22 AM
Good luck with that. Just think....Peter Pan. ;)

Ah but Peter Pan is nostalgia at it's best.

~Amanda

martinfamily5
10-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Wow, it sounds like I am in the minority here. We love Soarin. Last week we waited in line once (40 min) and fast passed it the next. Have you all not played the games while waiting in the que? There are 5 games that they rotate through. We had a lot of fun playing them and it made the time pass a little faster.

wedway76
10-31-2007, 09:56 AM
...we'll let the hype die down on this one before we bother to ride it again.

I agree %100. It is a very nice ride, but the wait is incredibly long. :wait:

Unless we get lucky catch a lull in the line, we won't ride it for a while.

PirateLover
10-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Wow, it sounds like I am in the minority here. We love Soarin. Last week we waited in line once (40 min) and fast passed it the next. Have you all not played the games while waiting in the que? There are 5 games that they rotate through. We had a lot of fun playing them and it made the time pass a little faster.
Honestly I've never waited in standby, always fastpassed. Per my experience there are no "Games" in this line even though the wait can still be somewhat long.

goofysbabe
10-31-2007, 10:01 AM
I will agree with you that the queue line is awful - it would be nice to have something to look at during your wait. But this is my FAVORITE ride. I just love it!!! The wind, the smells. :number1:

Septbride2002
10-31-2007, 10:32 AM

I played one of the games in the first waiting area. But then you have the 2nd and 3rd waiting areas after that - which are completely uninteresting.

~Amanda

SBETigg
10-31-2007, 10:59 AM
I really love Soarin' and think it worth the wait. I'm happy in any row, though I prefer the middle. We almost always fastpass it, because even though we find it worth the wait, we prefer to avoid long waits when possible.

Even so, standing in boring queues is never a problem for me at WDW. I'm with my family and it's nice to have the time to talk. Especially now that they're teens. I think we've had some of our best recent conversations waiting in lines together. Preferably air-conditioned queues when we're going in August.

Ian
10-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Wow, it sounds like I am in the minority here. We love Soarin. Last week we waited in line once (40 min) and fast passed it the next. Have you all not played the games while waiting in the que? There are 5 games that they rotate through. We had a lot of fun playing them and it made the time pass a little faster.Guess I'm in the minority, too. Soarin' is one of my favorite attractions in WDW.

I agree the waits can get a little crazy, but that's just because it's such a wonderful attraction that lots of people want to ride!

I do agree with the queue criticisms, though. They could have done so much more.

Septbride2002
10-31-2007, 11:50 AM
I really love Soarin' and think it worth the wait. I'm happy in any row, though I prefer the middle. We almost always fastpass it, because even though we find it worth the wait, we prefer to avoid long waits when possible.

Even so, standing in boring queues is never a problem for me at WDW. I'm with my family and it's nice to have the time to talk. Especially now that they're teens. I think we've had some of our best recent conversations waiting in lines together. Preferably air-conditioned queues when we're going in August.

I'll agree - when you are with your family. But since we have little ones and have to do baby swap I am not with my family - I'm alone.

~Amanda

EJS-Houston
10-31-2007, 11:54 AM
I have to agree with the majority of posters that the wait queue needs some revamping (we're spoiled by most of the other Disney attractions)...but I wouldn't miss Soarin' for anything. I'll be there in 3 days and I intend to do it at least twice...but I'll be sure to FastPass it.

LibertyTreeGal
10-31-2007, 12:01 PM
I agree, it is an awful queue but a wonderful ride

MNNHFLTX
10-31-2007, 12:06 PM
I love Soarin', but I agree that the queue areas are not the most interesting. The queues at Soarin' at Disneyland at least have historical information on the walls to read while you're waiting.

That said, I have never waited for any extended period of time for this attraction. We always try to go first thing in the morning and then get fastpasses to go again later in the day.

JWB3
10-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Let me start by saying I think Soarin' is a great ride - very well done. The first time I went on with DW and DS14 was Jan. 2007 and, because the crowds were low, we were able to ride it several times throughout the week we were there.

Fast forward to last week (10/19 - 10/24) while on my own at a conference. Considerably more crowded - had to use F/P and only managed to go on once, but it seemed to me the projector needs to be cleaned or something. There were a lot of flecks and specks that would show up throughout. I thought at first they were birds, but upon careful look realised it was dust or something on the film. It made the view a bit like looking at an old movie. Just curious - did anyone else notice this? I don't think it was my imagination, but I thought it took away some of the magic.

PirateLover
10-31-2007, 12:51 PM

Even so, standing in boring queues is never a problem for me at WDW. I'm with my family and it's nice to have the time to talk. Especially now that they're teens. I think we've had some of our best recent conversations waiting in lines together.
That's great :thumbsup:
But what about families with smaller children who can't or don't want to talk as much, or adult couples (like myself and DBF) who talk all the time and look forward to finding cool things to talk about while waiting. In my opinion, the queue is really what sets Disney apart. The fact that the majority of their rides have excellent theming from the moment you step into the line till the moment you leave. Even if they just threw some pictures or words up there I'd be happy. It's just what we've come to expect from Disney.

I thought at first they were birds, but upon careful look realised it was dust or something on the film. It made the view a bit like looking at an old movie. Just curious - did anyone else notice this? I don't think it was my imagination, but I thought it took away some of the magic.

Funny, we also noticed these "flecks" on our original ride, but not when we were there last May. Maybe someone isn't keeping up with the lens cleaning? Lol.

#1donaldfan
10-31-2007, 12:53 PM
I have to also admit that standby wait time and the lack of interest waiting in line seems a little off. Disney usually does a wonderful job of doing up a great area for waiting, getting you ready for the ride....actually sometimes the wait is better than the ride......on this particular ride once your done you seem to forget about the horrible wait.......

Kairi_7378
10-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Let me start by saying ...it seemed to me the projector needs to be cleaned or something. There were a lot of flecks and specks that would show up throughout. I thought at first they were birds, but upon careful look realised it was dust or something on the film. It made the view a bit like looking at an old movie.

We did not notice this on 10/1 when we rode, but we did on 10/4. It was kind of distracting.

Septbride2002
10-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Let me start by saying I think Soarin' is a great ride - very well done. The first time I went on with DW and DS14 was Jan. 2007 and, because the crowds were low, we were able to ride it several times throughout the week we were there.

Fast forward to last week (10/19 - 10/24) while on my own at a conference. Considerably more crowded - had to use F/P and only managed to go on once, but it seemed to me the projector needs to be cleaned or something. There were a lot of flecks and specks that would show up throughout. I thought at first they were birds, but upon careful look realised it was dust or something on the film. It made the view a bit like looking at an old movie. Just curious - did anyone else notice this? I don't think it was my imagination, but I thought it took away some of the magic.

I was there the same week - and YES I did notice. Since I've never been on the ride before I figured they had always been there. But yes I saw two "birds" during the film.

~Amanda

SBETigg
10-31-2007, 02:16 PM
I'll agree - when you are with your family. But since we have little ones and have to do baby swap I am not with my family - I'm alone.

~Amanda

Right, I can see that being an issue for you now, and for others who end up alone in a queue. But I was sharing my own experience, with the idea that it all depends on one's situation and perspective. Maybe in the future, when your circumstances change, you will grow to feel differently about this ride. And maybe not.

pixiegoose
10-31-2007, 07:36 PM
We love Soarin' :thumbsup: but will only do it with FastPass or if standby is 20 minutes or less. In September, we went on it 6 or 7 times and were in the front row all but once. The queue is quite boring and could really use some sprucing up.

DisFan01
10-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Personally, I love Soarin' but we aren't one of those people who wait 2 hours just to ride it. :secret: It is a really great ride though, and to me, the best one at Epcot! :D

Polynesian Dweller
10-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Guess I'm in the minority, too. Soarin' is one of my favorite attractions in WDW.
I actually think you are in the majority. I too love the ride once I get there and I think most of us do. The only question is whether one thinks its worth waiting 70 minutes in that rather barren queue. If the queue was more like EE, which has one of the best queues, then I think I'd feel differently about waiting. I can wait long times in EE (65 minutes the last time) and the time seems to go faster than 30 minutes at Soarn.

However, that said, with FP the wait times at Soarn are OK and the ride is terrific.:mickey:

Mickeydream
10-31-2007, 10:39 PM
First of all, I want to say hello to JWB3...we're from Rotterdam, so that makes us neighbors.

I have heard such great things about Soarin' and am looking forward to this ride...it will be the 1st time for me. We leave for WDW in 20 days and we will be checking out Soarin' for sure...hopefully with a short wait time! :mickey:

JWB3
11-01-2007, 10:06 AM
First of all, I want to say hello to JWB3...we're from Rotterdam, so that makes us neighbors.

I have heard such great things about Soarin' and am looking forward to this ride...it will be the 1st time for me. We leave for WDW in 20 days and we will be checking out Soarin' for sure...hopefully with a short wait time! :mickey:

Hey neighbor - hope you have a great time! Despite my note, Soarin' is a terrific ride - you're gonna love it!! A bit of advice: get to the park early - fastpasses can be sold out sometimes by noon.

Melanie
11-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Ah, but the queue in California is much, much better than the one in Florida, IMO. I love looking at the pics of the famous aviators and reading about the history of aviation. I just like the overall set-up better in California.

The ride itself is so wonderful, and it will take something very special to knock it out of my top attraction spot. :cloud9: But yes, the queue in Florida is horribly bland and boring.

TBY2225
11-01-2007, 11:48 AM
We always do Soarin first thing when the park opens. I enjoy it, but not enough to wait long in line or to have to get a fast pass to come back later. I agree with the comments on child swap. It seems to take the longest of any rides to do even with fast pass. Also, there is nothing for DS to do while we waited. I love TT and the cars so he can crawl in and out of and the play area at Mission Space, here there just isn't anything to do!

DizneeFan13
11-01-2007, 05:47 PM
I would have to agree about the waiting times:mad:, but the ride itself is incredible:thumbsup:!
Except that the last time we went on it at DL, they got the smells wrong - we got orange scent as we were going over the ocean. It wasn't a big deal to us because we had been on it so many times before, but for others it was a real let down.:(