PDA

View Full Version : Polynesian

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Overall, From what I've read, the Polynesian seems to be one of the favorite resorts of Disney guests. I have heard a couple of negatives outside this site and they are 1. They have a spider problem 2. Captain Cook's Quality is Poor....does anyone have any comments?:papple::tikki:

SBETigg
10-30-2007, 01:35 PM
I've always liked Captain Cook's and can only assume it is better than ever after the recent rehab. They have Dole Whips and they're one of few places at WDW open 24 hours. :thumbsup:

I've never seen spiders at the Polynesian. If they have a "problem" with them, I wouldn't know it and I have stayed there.

I think the Polynesian is a fun, lovely, relaxed resort in a great location, and it's my second favorite next to the Grand Floridian. I wouldn't let those two questionable quibbles stop me from giving it a try.

DisneyBarb
10-30-2007, 01:54 PM
We are leaving Sat for our 4th stay at the Poly. We have stayed several other on-site places and have never had any issues with spiders at the Poly or anywhere else. We haven't eaten at Capt Cooks a lot but haven't had any issues when we have. I wouldn't let some negative comments on Capt Cooks prevent you from staying at one of the best resorts on the property, (its very rare for any place to have all happy customers) you can't beat the ease of transportation and watching the fireworks from the beach! :mickey:

laprana
10-30-2007, 01:55 PM
We've stayed in the Poly twice and plan to stay there again next summer. We absolutely love it there and haven't had any problems at all. We have never once seen a spider in our rooms or in the longhouse, and I can't remember seeing a spider anywhere at all at the Poly. Captain Cooks is great! We all really like the new selection of food they have there - a lot of different Hawaiian-style items that you can't get anywhere else. But they also have more standard fare like pizza and sandwiches. During out last 2 trips, we ate CS meals at Captain Cooks several times for breakfast and lunch during our stay and we were never disappointed! The refurb work turned out beautifully there. It's clean, quick, and has great food. The CMs always seem really friendly, too. Captain Cooks now has the automated ordering, which you use a touch-screen computer for. I really liked it and thought it made ordering your meal easy and efficient. Some people had mentioned that it's confusing, though, but even then you can always just tell the CM your order - problem solved! Like I said, we love the Poly and can't wait to go back! :lei:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-30-2007, 02:06 PM
We've stayed in the Poly twice and plan to stay there again next summer. We absolutely love it there and haven't had any problems at all. We have never once seen a spider in our rooms or in the longhouse, and I can't remember seeing a spider anywhere at all at the Poly. Captain Cooks is great! We all really like the new selection of food they have there - a lot of different Hawaiian-style items that you can't get anywhere else. But they also have more standard fare like pizza and sandwiches. During out last 2 trips, we ate CS meals at Captain Cooks several times for breakfast and lunch during our stay and we were never disappointed! The refurb work turned out beautifully there. It's clean, quick, and has great food. The CMs always seem really friendly, too. Captain Cooks now has the automated ordering, which you use a touch-screen computer for. I really liked it and thought it made ordering your meal easy and efficient. Some people had mentioned that it's confusing, though, but even then you can always just tell the CM your order - problem solved! Like I said, we love the Poly and can't wait to go back! :lei: :blush: That sounds great. We were thinking about eating breakfast at Captain Cook's to save money because it has similar items to Kona but cheaper. We probably will stay at POP next trip, but are looking at Deluxe for the next stay. I am thinking about the Poly or Animal Kingdom Lodge for that visit.

Last Visit Dec. 26-Jan. 1, 2006-Coronado Springs
Jan. 1-7, 2003 -All Stars Movies

pox24
10-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Was there this month for 4 nights. It was our
5th time there and it was as fabulous as ever.
The new rooms are beautiful. :thumbsup:

Aggie97
10-30-2007, 05:01 PM
We've stayed at the Polynesian a couple of times and will be back in Jan.-Feb. I've never seen any spiders there (I would remember if I had -- I'm a total wimp about bugs!:)). We really liked Captain Cook's after last year's rehab. We ate several meals there in Dec. - breakfast, lunch and dinner - and were pleased with all of them. Have a great trip! :mickey:

Sinewiz
10-30-2007, 06:13 PM
It just amazes me how rumors get started. Some one stays at the Poly and sees a spider, posts it on a discussion page and suddenly there is a spider problem. I would seriously doubt that you would run into any more spiders at the Poly then you would at any other resort, be it at Disney World or anywhere else.
At least I hope not, I'm arriving there tommorow.:silly: But I'll let you know.

chamonix
10-30-2007, 10:29 PM
I had never heard anyone mention spiders at the Poly before this thread. I have also never seen any there, and we have spent a lot of time there.

We haven't eaten at Cooks very much, but I will say the food is much better since the remodel. Some of the new menu items are really fantastic. They have a veggie noodle bowl fro example that is the same dish served upstairs at Kona. The grown up grilled cheese is awesome too. :thumbsup:

Polynesian Dweller
10-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Captain Cook's has been completely refurbished and is fine, nothing like the old place, and I had no complaints about the old place.

Spiders! No problem at the Polynesian, never seen one inside a building. If you look close enough you'll see spider webs all over the place in WDW. Its Florida and they like the warm climate. But a problem at the Poly. Not at all!! Stayed there 17 years and never seen one in the buildings or rooms though there were some pretty webs by the boat docks at the Poly and GF.

tikiman
10-31-2007, 10:50 AM
In all my visits to the Polynesian I have never heard about spiders.

As for Captain Cook's I use to avoid it because it was so bad but since the renovation last year I visit it almost every day on my last few trips.

Hope that helps.

Hello Ann!!!!

Aloha

Steve

Mom2princesses
10-31-2007, 11:04 AM
We have never had problems with Spiders either in any of our visits (3 times). We were just there this past August. Captain Cooks was a very good CS option. We ate there a few times and it was nice, clean and the food was very good. No complaints here at all!

gardenia
10-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Take it from a longtime resident, Florida is crawling with spiders. Everywhere. I would have to see a LOT of spiders at a resort to think it has a "spider problem". I've never noticed a problem at the Poly.

rookie
10-31-2007, 02:04 PM
Overall, From what I've read, the Polynesian seems to be one of the favorite resorts of Disney guests. I have heard a couple of negatives outside this site and they are 1. They have a spider problem 2. Captain Cook's Quality is Poor....does anyone have any comments?:papple::tikki:

It's possible someone confused the Brady Bunch in Hawaii episode with their visit to the Poly. Now that was a big spider:lei:

jwallace378
10-31-2007, 03:06 PM
It's funny, you mentioned a spider problem at Poly. The room we stayed in had 3 HUGE spiders with a nice big web in the corner of the room. That was the only time I've encountered that problem on any Disney property.

Keneva
10-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Well, today is Halloween so a big spider seems appropriate.

LibertyTreeGal
11-03-2007, 07:11 AM
No spiders when I was there. Poly was very quiet :)

iheartmickey
11-03-2007, 07:32 AM
We just got back Sunday from our stay at the Poly. I loved it! I didn't see one spider ..... not that I was looking for one. LOL! We ate at Captian Cooks several times and never had a problem. I love the Dole Whip you get ... you fill it yourself! YUMMY!!!

DH loved staying there too. He said next time we're staying here and no where else! :lei::yay:

tiaramom
11-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Did You Say Their Counter Service Is Open 24 Hrs? Refill Mugs Etc?
Any Photos Of The Place???
Anyone?
Just Wondering...

beksy
11-03-2007, 12:43 PM
As someone who is staying there for the first time and has done a lot of research :surf: (yes, I can be a nerd :blush:), I can say that yes it is open 24 hours. As for pictures, I would recomend checking out Tikiman's website. It has all you could ever want to know about the poly and great pictures from all the resorts, of the grounds, pool, etc. I just did a search and put in Tikiman and Poly. It came up without a problem. I was a little worried when I read the OP because I hate spiders so I'm relieved with all the responses!:whew: :tikki:

tikiman
11-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Beksy is right. Captain Cook’s is open 24 hours. Actually the Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge are the only Disney Resorts with 24 hour food service. Now the grill closes at 11:00 at Captain Cook’s but they still have many things to get to eat or drink.

Aloha

Steve

SBETigg
11-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Beksy is right. Captain Cook’s is open 24 hours. Actually the Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge are the only Disney Resorts with 24 hour food service. Now the grill closes at 11:00 at Captain Cook’s but they still have many things to get to eat or drink.

Aloha

Steve

Not true. Gasparilla Grill and Games at the Grand Floridian is also 24-hour, with the grill closing at 11, same as Captain Cook's.

garymacd
11-06-2007, 11:28 AM
1. They have a spider problem

Don't forget that WDW was built on a swamp in a sub-tropical environment. There are spiders and bugs (and snakes and aligators).

tikiman
11-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Not true. Gasparilla Grill and Games at the Grand Floridian is also 24-hour, with the grill closing at 11, same as Captain Cook's.

Thanks, I did not know that. I was talking to a manager and we were discussing how when I was at the AKL, Boardwalk, Yacht Club and Pop Century I could never get food late at night and they told me that only the WL and Polynesian had a 24 hour food court but I guess we can add the GF to that list.

SBETigg
11-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks, I did not know that. I was talking to a manager and we were discussing how when I was at the AKL, Boardwalk, Yacht Club and Pop Century I could never get food late at night and they told me that only the WL and Polynesian had a 24 hour food court but I guess we can add the GF to that list.

And remove the WL. I checked into it, and WL does not have 24 hour CS, so maybe the manager was mixed up between the two resorts.

A Big Kid
11-07-2007, 12:49 PM
You can also get a REAL cup of coffe at the Kona Cafe as opposed to that Nescafe junk elsewhere.

Sinewiz
11-07-2007, 02:05 PM
For what it's worth, I just returned yesterday from a week at the Poly and never saw a one. ;)

tikiman
11-08-2007, 09:54 AM
And remove the WL. I checked into it, and WL does not have 24 hour CS, so maybe the manager was mixed up between the two resorts.

Maybe I just got it wrong. I thought she said WL and Polynesian but you are right, Roaring Fork Snacks closes at midnight. You would think there would be more open late especially in the summer when the parks are open until 1 or 2 am. I can’t tell you how often I have gotten food late at Captain Cook’s.

SBETigg
11-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Maybe I just got it wrong. I thought she said WL and Polynesian but you are right, Roaring Fork Snacks closes at midnight. You would think there would be more open late especially in the summer when the parks are open until 1 or 2 am. I can’t tell you how often I have gotten food late at Captain Cook’s.

Absolutely. It's a great convenience and one of many reasons to love the Polynesian. And in our case, the GF. I wish more resorts had that option, too.

JessicaRabbit
11-08-2007, 02:44 PM
We stayed at the Poly this past April and we didn't see one spider (and as I have a morbid fear of spiders I would notice if there was a spider problem!).

We ate at Captain Cooks quite a bit and found the food to be pretty good. DH really liked the grown-up grilled cheese and I enjoyed the noodle bowl. The touch-screen computer made ordering easy and the whole place was very clean. We'd definitely stay there again.:mickey:

vamaggie
11-08-2007, 03:48 PM
For what it's worth, I just returned yesterday from a week at the Poly and never saw a one. ;)

We also just returned from the Poly late Tues night. While we did see quite a few lovely spider webs in the bushes/trees (my kids actually like to look for them) we never saw an actual bug.

We ate at Cap't Cooks a number of times and found the food rather good. The grown up grilled cheese was extra yummy, the Tonga Toast very big, and the touch screens a real kid pleaser!

I doubt we will stay anywhere else (at least as long as I'm planning the trip!)