PDA

View Full Version : "Disney" channel? I don't think so...

Main Street Jim
10-30-2007, 10:33 AM
While I gots a few minutes left here...

How many of you are annoyed by the "current" Disney channel programming? I can't/don't even watch it any more *at all* with all the....well..."stuff"...that's on now.

Hannah Montana, Zack and Cody, Raven, all this teeny-bopper stuff is all I see any more, with the exception of the weekday morning stuff for the little ones (I see what's on the "Channel channel"....LOLOL). And then on the weekends, this stuff spills over onto ABC Saturday mornings; same with the Nickelodeon stuff and CBS. I see HOURS and HOURS of the same show on Disney (multiple episodes of the same show run one right after another). Saturday mornings were for the cartoons that weren't on in the afternoons after school....LOLOLOL...(Gummi Bears....bouncing here and there everywhere....high adventure that's beyond compare....:secret::mickey::D)

I used to tape just about everything that was on late-night on Disney - the old "Vault Disney" stuff, especially everything about the parks. And even more so if it was a "Walt Disney Presents" with Walt himself in the park. I just can't stand all this "teeny-bopper" *stuff* that's on what was once a great channel for us "ol' farts" that like to reminisce (sp?).

JPL
10-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Jim

Unfortunately we are not in the demographic for the Disney Channel they are after Preschoolers with their morning programming and tweens the rest of the day and late into the night. The channel is wildly successful with these groups and that is why they expanded the programming that these groups watch. While I definately agree I loved the old Vault Disney Shows and my favorite show was WDW Inside Out and Disneyland Inside Out. These show weren't getting theratings or paying the bills with advertisers. I would love to see a more family channel spring up from Disney that allows the whole Family to enjoy shows together but I really don't see it happening anytime soon.

magicman
10-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Personally, I agree; however, to my kids (8,11, and 12) this it's the cat's meow. You can tell how successful Disney has been in marketing to the tweens by the inability for ANYONE to get a Hannah Montana concert ticket while she's on tour (they are selling for hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars).

What I do not understand is why Disney doesn't take advantage of the tweens parents who would love to see the old Disney Vault stuff late-night after the kids are in bed. I would love it if Disney Channels after 9pm would show old Disney movies and shows (kind of like "TV Land" channel does, but using old Disney shows/movies).

AwPhooey
10-30-2007, 10:43 AM
It's not just you -- I feel the same way. Between Toon Disney and Disney Channel, there's barely anything decent on. Only occasionally does Toon Disney show feature length animated movies (or, they show them at crazy hours of the day) and Disney Channel rarely has anything worth watching.

When I was a child, Disney Channel had awesome shows... Good Morning, Mickey!, Donald Duck Presents, Welcome to Pooh Corner, Dumbo's Circus, Kids Incorporated, Mickey Mouse Club ... Heck, even Mousersize was somewhat entertaining because it had characters in the show.

If the current shows are that popular with their target audience, I think Disney should create a Disney Classic Channel with all of the good shows. I think execs would be surprised at how many viewers would tune in.

Hayden's Dad
10-30-2007, 10:46 AM
I have to agree 100%. We hardly ever watch the actual "Disney" channel. We watch ToonDisney farily often, but even that doesn't have any of the classic cartoons especially with Jetix in the mix now. (Since when did Superman and Batman become Disney characters, not to mention Pinky and the Brain who I thought were owned by Warner Brothers) I miss the old valut disney and Saturday morning cartoons even the Saturday morning cartoons from ABC like Recess, Pepper Anne, etc.. I guess the Hannah Montanna and Suite Life and such wouldn't be so bad, but they play the same ones over and over and over again :mad:. Sorry thanks for giving me an :D outlet to vent.

caryrae
10-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah because we don't have kids we almost never watch the Disney Channel. I think it would be great if the came up with like a Disney Classics channel or maybe even a Disney Travel Channel or maybe combine the 2. We adults need something to there are millions of us who love Disney.

Does Disney make more money from TV or the Disney Parks? Cause if they make more money from the parks wouldn't they want to have some kinda time period on the Disney Channel for a show on what's new and coming soon at the Parks to get even more people interested. An hour or 2 a week is not to much to ask for.

I thought Disney was for everyone not just for adults not just for kids but for families. So why are they just targeting a certain age group?

Sorry "AwPhooey" I just saw I had the same idea as you about having a Disney Classics Channel.

Disneyatic
10-30-2007, 12:01 PM
My daughter is constantly watching Hannah Montana and Suite Life! While I don't mind, I also wish they would get some new episodes! Sometimes I have to make her change it because I have seen that episode at least 2 or 3times so I know she has seen it at least 5!!!
It would be nice if they would spice the programming up a bit and offer a few other shows, it does seem like they have introduced 3or 4 new ones in the last month so I am looking forward to that. They don't come on near as much as Suite Life and Hannah, but something is better than nothing!

I can remember as a kid racing to get home in time to watch The Mickey Mouse Club and Kids Incorporated! I also loved Dumbo's circus and Pooh!! I would definitely subscribe to a Disney Classics channel!! I think my daugther would like it also and maybe change the channel everyonce and awhile!

Ian
10-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Well Hannah Montana is the single toughest concert ticket to get this year, so I'd say they're doing something right.

We're not in their demo, so they don't care if we don't like it.

My 5YO DD loves Disney Channel. It's all she watches.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-30-2007, 01:39 PM
As annoying as I find it, DH (now 9) loves the Disney channel and would watch it 24 hours a day if I let her.

It would be nice to see some of the classic Disney stuff, but the kids are really enjoying what it out there now...so I guess we really can't complain!

magicman
10-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Re-runs of the old Wonderful World of Disney movies/shows after 9pm would be a great addition.

Jenemmy
10-30-2007, 02:27 PM
My kids are 2, 9 and 11 -- so Disney channel pretty much fits the bill for them at any given point in the day. As much as I love "classic" Disney -- these new shows are pretty cute and frankly -- I am glad there is something decent on for my kids to watch that I don't need to worry about content.

Melanie
10-30-2007, 03:36 PM
My kids are 2, 9 and 11 -- so Disney channel pretty much fits the bill for them at any given point in the day. As much as I love "classic" Disney -- these new shows are pretty cute and frankly -- I am glad there is something decent on for my kids to watch that I don't need to worry about content.

:ditto:

It works just fine for us!

PirateLover
10-30-2007, 04:53 PM
In one sense, yes, I'm glad kids have some wholesome entertainment. I am a huge fan of kids shows. I sometimes still watch Sesame Street, I watch Fraggle Rock all the time, I have DVDs of old Disney cartoons like Rescue Rangers, DuckTales, Darkwing Duck... I remember watching MMC, Kids Incorporated, Under the Umbrella Tree, Flash Forward. I even liked Bug Juice, Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens and they were at popularity height when I was in high school, definitely out of the target age. I have not watched a lick of Hannah Montana, I guess I never catch it, but I have attempted to watch That's So Raven, Suite Life, Cory in the House, and I just don't like them. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's the best they can do, and the whole entire channel does not need to be tailored around toddlers and tweens.

Melanie
10-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's the best they can do, and the whole entire channel does not need to be tailored around toddlers and tweens.

Why not when it's working? Just like we had things that were "Disney" to us when we were younger, the network as it stands today is "Disney" to this generation. Adults are not in the demographic.

Although I love the idea of a "classic" network, I just don't think it would be successful. Sorry, I don't think there are enough of us Disney fanatics out there. :unsure:

Dsnygirl
10-30-2007, 05:50 PM
:mickey: While I agree that it's annoying that Disney tends to run the same episode over & over (and over & over &.... :blush:), my DD's love this channel so much and I've yet to really find anything on it that I think is inappropriate for them to be watching. They're 6 & 9, so sure, some of the tween shows are a bit mature for them, but we turn them off... but Zack & Cody, HM, Cory... they're great, and I find myself singing along to the theme songs and enjoying the story lines!! (Did I just really admit that out loud??? ;))
I agree that I'd love to see some of Disney's "classic" stuff brought back, but while they're having such huge success w/ this age group, I don't see it happening. So, I guess for now I'll just have to keep singing all the songs from HSM and HM.... :D

PirateLover
10-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Why not when it's working? Just like we had things that were "Disney" to us when we were younger, the network as it stands today is "Disney" to this generation. Adults are not in the demographic.

How many kids are up at 2am? There have been times when I am up late or can't sleep and all Disney Channel offers is re-runs of the tween shows they play all day. I don't see why they cant play some older movies or even classic Mickey cartoons that appeal to a broader audience once it is past the kiddies bed time.

Ian
10-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Why not when it's working? Just like we had things that were "Disney" to us when we were younger, the network as it stands today is "Disney" to this generation. Adults are not in the demographic.:ditto:

How many kids are up at 2am? There have been times when I am up late or can't sleep and all Disney Channel offers is re-runs of the tween shows they play all day. I don't see why they cant play some older movies or even classic Mickey cartoons that appeal to a broader audience once it is past the kiddies bed time.Now this I do agree with. After prime tween/pre-schooler hours, I gotta believe they'd do better on ratings if they showed more adult fare.

Melanie
10-30-2007, 06:43 PM
How many kids are up at 2am? There have been times when I am up late or can't sleep and all Disney Channel offers is re-runs of the tween shows they play all day. I don't see why they cant play some older movies or even classic Mickey cartoons that appeal to a broader audience once it is past the kiddies bed time.

To me that's the same as saying the Military Channel, for instance, should air children's programming during the day since that's when the majority of their target audience is at work. Hey, and you never know, if the kids are up sick in the middle of the night, at least they have something to watch. ;)

You know, the Disney Channel works for me because I have kids who fit in the demographic and love the channel, and I get my Disney "fix" by watching the Travel Channel shows and the occasional Disney classic on the Hallmark Channel. I realize the situation doesn't work for everyone. Wish it could!

Ian
10-30-2007, 06:56 PM
To me that's the same as saying the Military Channel, for instance, should air children's programming during the day since that's when the majority of their target audience is at work.Well I'm not sure about all that now, Mel. ;)

That would be asking the Military Channel to run programming that's counter to their primary content.

No one is suggesting that Disney Channel run horror films overnight or anything. But they could run more adult-oriented Disney fare. Seems to me they get better ratings. I gotta believe the number of Disney dweebs out there outnumbers the number of sick kids up at 2AM watching Hannah Montana reruns.

But I agree with you for the most part ... DD loves the Disney Channel and it works for us just the way it is. If I want something to watch at 2AM I watch the Military Channel!

Melanie
10-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Well I'm not sure about all that now, Mel. ;)

That would be asking the Military Channel to run programming that's counter to their primary content.

I know, I know, a little extreme. :D Hey, my 9yo is starting to get into all the war stuff, so maybe they can do some military programming on his level. ;) He's not allowed to watch a lot of what's out there now.

Out of curiosity though, what is your idea of adult-oriented Disney fare? Different than what you can find on the Travel Channel or Food Network?

Ian
10-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Out of curiosity though, what is your idea of adult-oriented Disney fare? Different than what you can find on the Travel Channel or Food Network?Yeah, yeah I'm thinking like retro Disney stuff ... old MMC reruns, maybe some of the stuff they've released in the DVD sets, like the old Disneyland T.V. show ... some of the old theme park specials ... stuff like that.

Edited to add ...

I don't want to in any way come across like I'm being critical of the Disney Channel, by the way. I like it as-is, for the most part, and I know it's a huge success for Disney. Considering how badly it was foundering there for awhile, I'm very happy with its current condition.

Altair
10-30-2007, 08:35 PM
You would think someone there in programming would say, "Hey look, here's thirty-three years worth of a show called 'The Wonderful World of Color' and it's hosted by some dude with the same name as our channel", and then find one hour out of the week and put in on the schedule.:rolleyes:

WDWFREAK101
10-30-2007, 08:59 PM
I do agree with you that Disney Channel keeps playing Zach and Cody and Hannah Montanna 80% of the day. I do like these shows (Except Hannah Montanna) and i do agree that they don't have enough shows relating to Disney. I do miss the WDW inside and out shows. Hopefully some other shows about Disney itself will come onto the broadcasting schedule

PirateLover
10-30-2007, 11:31 PM
No one is suggesting that Disney Channel run horror films overnight or anything. But they could run more adult-oriented Disney fare. Seems to me they get better ratings. I gotta believe the number of Disney dweebs out there outnumbers the number of sick kids up at 2AM watching Hannah Montana reruns.

Exactly.

Just to clarify, my position is this thread istwo-fold.

When talking about the quality of the original programming, I do think it is lacking. I do not have a problem with wholesome children's programming and I think I gave plenty of examples earlier of programs I've enjoyed even when I was outside of the target audience. I am happy that all of your kids like these programs but I honestly think Disney can do better. Obviously they don't have to because they are selling product like crazy but that is my opinion.

Second, I do think there can be a few hours set aside for programming that would appeal to a wider audience. Starting at 10pm tonight we have That's So Raven, Life With Derek, Suite Life, Hannah Montana, Kim Possible, Emperor's New School. American Dragon... you get the picture.

Why wouldn't today's generation like Old Yeller, Davy Crockett, Five Mile Creek, Mickey Mouse Club, Zorro, Spin & Marty, Walt Disney World Inside Out, Dumbo's Circus, Pooh Corner, Disney's nature specials, etc? And how about playing some of the movies that you can't even purchase on DVD anymore because they are locked in the Vault?

Disney himself once said
"You’re dead if you aim only for kids."
I am not asking for an overhaul of the station but it wouldn't hurt them to throw on some classic programming every now and then...

ETA- Just wanted to say I doubt this change will take place because most of the classic stuff is available on DVD and I'm sure they figure us adults have money and will buy the sets so why should they show them on TV for free (well, basic cable) when they can get more revenue from sales.

Ian
10-31-2007, 08:18 AM
When talking about the quality of the original programming, I do think it is lacking. I do not have a problem with wholesome children's programming and I think I gave plenty of examples earlier of programs I've enjoyed even when I was outside of the target audience. I am happy that all of your kids like these programs but I honestly think Disney can do better ... Why wouldn't today's generation like Old Yeller, Davy Crockett, Five Mile Creek, Mickey Mouse Club, Zorro, Spin & Marty, Walt Disney World Inside Out, Dumbo's Circus, Pooh Corner, Disney's nature specials, etc?Hmmm ... I hate to say this ... but you may be suffering from that dreaded disease known as "getting older" ...

I feel that way sometimes too. Why don't kids today watch Bugs Bunny or Hong Kong Phooey or the Grape Ape??

Because ... they don't. Just like we had our own shows when we were kids (which you already mentioned) this generation has their own shows.

And just like when we were kids, our parents probably thought the shows from their generation were "much better" than ours. I think it's because you see shows differently as an adult than you do when you're a kid. Trust me ... my DD does not watch Suite Life through the same eyes you do. And your parents didn't watch Gummi Bears through the same eyes you did, either.

Personally, I'm very happy with the Disney Channel's programming for kids. It's pretty benign and I never really worry (for the most part) that DD will see something she shouldn't.

It could be worse ... they could be watching Nickleodeon ... home of Sponge Bob and the Naked Brothers Band. :rolleyes:

offwego
10-31-2007, 09:30 AM
I have to agree with many who say the programming is hitting it's target tween's with Zach & Cody, Raven, Hannah & Cody in the house etc. My DS loves this type of stuff (and even though ours in Canada is "family channel" I love the no commercials!) It can get repetitve but lets face that happened with cartoons in the time frame when I was a kid as well.

As to yesteryear faves being hits today. It's rare even things like transformers/powerrangers etc are "redone" so the appeal is still "fresh" (albeit not if you remember the first ones). I also like the diversity that you see in some of the newer programs that our old faves wouldn't always offer.

alphamommy
10-31-2007, 09:33 AM
My problem with the Disney Channel is that there's nothing for kids the age of my daughter (almost 8). The Playhouse Disney shows are aimed at preschoolers, and the afternoon shows are a little old for her - the one time she watched "The Suite Life..." she got scared, which is really unusual.

I would like to see something after school that's a little less grown up. Maybe I'm just overprotective, but I'm not ready for "Raven" and "Hannah Montana" yet.

PirateLover
10-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Hmmm ... I hate to say this ... but you may be suffering from that dreaded disease known as "getting older" ...

I feel that way sometimes too. Why don't kids today watch Bugs Bunny or Hong Kong Phooey or the Grape Ape??

Because ... they don't. Just like we had our own shows when we were kids (which you already mentioned) this generation has their own shows.

I know every generation has their own shows. My mom wasn't particularly fond of Salute Your Shorts but she did like Clarissa Explains it all and Hey Dude (Nickelodeon shows). But many of the shows I listed were from the 50s/ 60s yet I still enjoyed them growing up in the late 80s/90s. I'm not asking them to play that stuff all day by any means. But they could throw on a couple of shows at night, that's all I'm saying. And as far as the cartoons you listed... They played them all the time on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon a decade ago and loved them as much as I'm sure your generation did. Heck I'm a huge Rocky and Bullwinkle fan. But somewhere along the line it all got phased out or they lost the rights or something. Oh well...

caryrae
10-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes it good to have these nice shows on for kids and tweens but why 24 hours 7 days a week? I don't remember having a channel that had kids shows/cartoons on all day and night. I remember saturday morning was the big time for kids shows, then that was it, we actually had to play outside after they were done. The problem is there is to much for kids to watch and play in front of the TV these days. A few hours a night when all kids should be sleeping should be just fine. They don't need these kids shows on from 9pm to 6am. How many 4-16 year olds are up at that time compared to how many adults are up at that time? I don't know I just don't see the reasoning on have these youngs kids shows on in the middle of the night.

I think it's funny how my BIL and SIL know all the kids shows and almost memorized them. That just shows they are watching to much TV when they should be outside or doing something creative inside. It is just way to easy now to plop our kids infront of the tube to keep them quite and happy for a while.

Disneyatic
10-31-2007, 11:20 AM
That just shows they are watching to much TV when they should be outside or doing something creative inside. It is just way to easy now to plop our kids infront of the tube to keep them quite and happy for a while.
I know that this quote was not directed to anyone in particular, but I have to comment...
I don't plop my daughter down in front of the TV to keep her quiet, she enjoys the shows and the downtime.
Today's environment is so different from even 15 years ago, it isn't as easy to play outside as it used to be. Also, IMO parents and families seem much busier now and kids don't get the downtime that they used to.
I do remember the days when I was a kid and we didn't have cable and we all waited for Saturday morning to FINALLY get to watch cartoons, but that was also a time when after school we could go outside by ourselves and play until it started getting dark and we heard the whistle and had to come back inside.
I can't even imagine letting my daughter do this today!
I think that the TV channels and show offerings have adapted to accomodate the shift in what kids can/enjoy doing.

caryrae
10-31-2007, 11:52 AM
I know that this quote was not directed to anyone in particular, but I have to comment...
I don't plop my daughter down in front of the TV to keep her quiet, she enjoys the shows and the downtime.
Today's environment is so different from even 15 years ago, it isn't as easy to play outside as it used to be. Also, IMO parents and families seem much busier now and kids don't get the downtime that they used to.
I do remember the days when I was a kid and we didn't have cable and we all waited for Saturday morning to FINALLY get to watch cartoons, but that was also a time when after school we could go outside by ourselves and play until it started getting dark and we heard the whistle and had to come back inside.
I can't even imagine letting my daughter do this today!
I think that the TV channels and show offerings have adapted to accomodate the shift in what kids can/enjoy doing.

I do agree that it's not as safe to leave kids alone outside these days alot of places. I guess I said that because where I live kids run around all day without adults watching, it's pretty safe around here. Same with my DS & BIL there kids go and play with the kids in the neighborhood by themselves. I also know a few people who, when there kids are getting fussy, instead of playing with them or go outside with them, they will pop in a DVD to keep them entertained.

Disneyatic
10-31-2007, 12:02 PM
We live in Fort Worth, TX and I think it is so sad that our children can't go out and play like we used to be able to. We don't even let our daughter go play in the backyard without one of us out there with her.
I think that because of this, kids get enrolled in so many extra activities, kickball, dance, piano, scouts, other sports that they are just constantly busy and sitting down to watch TV is their downtime.
The generational changes are very interesting (and sometimes scary!) and it will be interesting to see what our children's children are faced with.

Back to the original topic, isn't it amazing how long Scooby Doo has survived? You can almost always turn on the TV and find a Scooby Doo cartoon or movie somewhere! I much prefer this over Suite Life :blush: and thankfully DD likes Scooby so we can change up the routine occasionally!

I also saw Batman and Superman on Toon Disney last night and thought that was odd, aren't they Warner Bros?

alphamommy
10-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Back to the original topic, isn't it amazing how long Scooby Doo has survived? You can almost always turn on the TV and find a Scooby Doo cartoon or movie somewhere! I much prefer this over Suite Life :blush: and thankfully DD likes Scooby so we can change up the routine occasionally!

DD is ADDICTED to Tom & Jerry. She also loves Scooby Doo. I wish someone (wouldn't be Disney) would show Bugs Bunny and co. on a regular basis. It seems that they are on Boomerang occassionally, but I wish it was more reliably scheduled. I think she's love that, too.

I agree with those who would love a Disney Classics channel. I miss WWofC/D!

Ian
11-01-2007, 08:41 AM
I do agree that it's not as safe to leave kids alone outside these days alot of places.

We live in Fort Worth, TX and I think it is so sad that our children can't go out and play like we used to be able to. We don't even let our daughter go play in the backyard without one of us out there with her.I'm curious as to why you both feel this way? Statistics conclusively prove that children are at no greater risk today for abduction or any other type of crime than they were in past generations.

In fact, when you consider the increased focus and seriousness with which these crimes are treated and reported, the stats show that they're actually more likely decreasing.

I find it troublesome that so many parents seem to feel like their kids are under siege. It's a myth ... it only feels that way, because we have such a hyper-active media these days. I routinely open my front door and shoo my DD out to play and I don't worry about a thing.

I've lived in my general area for almost 35 years, to the best of my knowledge, we haven't had one single crime committed against a child (by a stranger) in that entire time period.

Read Last Child in the Woods ....

I wish someone (wouldn't be Disney) would show Bugs Bunny and co. on a regular basis.Bugs's problem is that he's been shoved into a closet by the PC crowd, because so many of his cartoons are violent or possibly could be considered "insensitive" to certain groups.

I was actually shocked they released them un-edited on DVD.

Disneyatic
11-01-2007, 10:48 AM
I agree that the sensationalized media probably has a large part in the fear that we as parents have with letting our children play alone.
Regardless of that, I still don't and won't ever feel safe letting her play outdoors without adult supervision. It makes me sad that she won't be able to get the same experiences that we did as kids when we would go out in the moring and play all day until we had to come in, but it keeps us active because we are always outside with her. I respect the statistics, but I can think of at least 3 high profile child abduction cases in recent years in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I never pegged myself for an overprotective parent, but maybe I am!?

Disney Babe
11-02-2007, 02:06 AM
On the subject of the lack of variety on the Disney Channel, I have noticed similar threads from time to time. Most often people agree that, while the current programming is good for tweens, Disney has so much more to offer and the viewers are being cheated. Does anyone know if corporate has actually paid attention to this issue? You would think they would be aware that on Disney discussion boards this is a common complaint. Do they just ignore what people want? Or do we need to do more than just discuss these things on-line? For example, if as adults we are not satisfied with what is offered shouldn't we write to the folks at the Disney Channel? I know it can kind of seem like a situation of "Why would they care?" But wouldn't it make sense to complain to the source of the problem? I think it would be fantastic if fans could actually change something like this.

NotaGeek
11-02-2007, 02:54 AM
On the subject of the lack of variety on the Disney Channel, I have noticed similar threads from time to time. Most often people agree that, while the current programming is good for tweens, Disney has so much more to offer and the viewers are being cheated. Does anyone know if corporate has actually paid attention to this issue? You would think they would be aware that on Disney discussion boards this is a common complaint. Do they just ignore what people want? Or do we need to do more than just discuss these things on-line? For example, if as adults we are not satisfied with what is offered shouldn't we write to the folks at the Disney Channel? I know it can kind of seem like a situation of "Why would they care?" But wouldn't it make sense to complain to the source of the problem? I think it would be fantastic if fans could actually change something like this.

I think that Disney makes LOTS of money on the 'tweens. For instance ... Hannah Montana sold out all her concerts in 15 seconds. I think that there is always the option to write Disney and let them know that older folk would love to visit memory land with the old-school Disney stuff, but I doubt that will bring much money to the network/company. When the Disney Channel first started out isn't that what they had? I know we didn't get it because my parents wouldn't pay the extra money it cost as a premium channel.

drummerboy
11-02-2007, 12:50 PM
I have DVDs of old Disney cartoons like Rescue Rangers, DuckTales, Darkwing Duck... I remember watching MMC, Kids Incorporated, Under the Umbrella Tree, Flash Forward. I even liked Bug Juice, Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens and they were at popularity height when I was in high school, definitely out of the target age.

Just like we had things that were "Disney" to us when we were younger, the network as it stands today is "Disney" to this generation. Adults are not in the demographic.

Out of curiosity though, what is your idea of adult-oriented Disney fare? Different than what you can find on the Travel Channel or Food Network?
My guess is that he's referring to the "classic" Disney you mentioned earlier, Mel. In the meantime, this old boy is laughing at the description of Rescue Rangers, Duck Tales, and the like being "old" Disney. I can remember watching the original black and white Mickey Mouse Club shows when they first came out.

tennantsrwe
11-02-2007, 12:57 PM
I LOVE the gummi bear quote, hadn't thought of that in for ever! It does seem like tween programing has taken over. But then again, that is the demographic Disney is after. So I guess their marketing and promotion department is happy. I have a 10 year old DD who loves all of it. I'm actually thankful there are still some wholesome shows on TV for the tweens to watch! I'd much rather indure Hannah Montana for the 100 time than her watching Britney and Kevin CHAOTIC, lol. Guess it's the sacrifice we make, huh?

caryrae
11-02-2007, 01:07 PM
What I still don't understand, why do they need the same kids shows on from like 9pm to 6 or 7am. I can't imagine there are many if any kids up in the middle of the night unless maybe they are sick. Can't they make late evening tailored more to adults with some classic shows/movies?

I guess my big question is why do they need the same shows on 24 hours a day?

PirateLover
11-02-2007, 01:52 PM
My guess is that he's referring to the "classic" Disney you mentioned earlier, Mel. In the meantime, this old boy is laughing at the description of Rescue Rangers, Duck Tales, and the like being "old" Disney. I can remember watching the original black and white Mickey Mouse Club shows when they first came out.

;) I can definitely see the humor in that.
To me if it's out of production it's old, as in "in the past". Rescue Rangers for example was produced from 89-92, ending 15 years ago.It may not be as old as some "Disney" shows but it certainly is old "Disney Channel." Original MMC in my opinion would be a "classic"-and actually it was the first program shown on The Disney Channel when it debuted in 1983. :mickey:

By the way, I just read Disney Channel is going HD next year. I really hope they play a few more movies when that occurs.

Disney Babe
11-03-2007, 01:01 AM
It's always interesting to me when people say that Disney makes a ton of money off of tweens. Disney is making a ton of money off the parents of teens, not tweens. Aren't parents basically supporting this programing then? So, really, no one should have any complaints.

Main Street Jim
11-03-2007, 09:53 AM
I guess what I was getting at in my original post, is why is all this "tween" stuff on the Disney channelt *after* about 11pm?? Aren't the kids s'posed to be in bed by then?? Why is Suite Life on TV at like 3 in the morning? Lilo and Stitch at *4am* on a Saturday morning?? I get up in the mornings with Donna and get her lunch and stuff together and flip through the channels. Disney needs to put the old stuff on TV between 11pm and 6am for us "ol' geezers"...LOLOLOL

I'm thinking like retro Disney stuff ... old MMC reruns, maybe some of the stuff they've released in the DVD sets, like the old Disneyland T.V. show ... some of the old theme park specials ...

Why wouldn't today's generation like Old Yeller, Davy Crockett, Five Mile Creek, Mickey Mouse Club, Zorro, Spin & Marty, Walt Disney World Inside Out, Dumbo's Circus, Pooh Corner, Disney's nature specials, etc?And this is the stuff that as recently as a year or so ago, that the Disney channel was running on their late-night programming (after about 10-11pm). I taped every episode of Walt Disney Presents and Wonderful World of Color that had Walt and the park (Disneyland) in it - especially things like the opening of Pirates, the DL 10th Anniversary, Disneyland Goes to the World's Fair, things like that. When I saw the first episode of Walt Disney Presents *without Walt* (December 17, 1966 - small world Holiday and 10th Anniversary show), it brought tears to my eyes. I taped 20K, Old Yeller, Treasure Island, Herbie, the Love Bug, Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo, the original The Parent Trap, and so many other great movies and shows on late-night Vault Disney.

Our cable company here doesn't carry ToonDisney - and I *loved* House of Mouse when we had it at our old place. ToonDisney even had Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers on in the afternoons, and my kids *loved* those shows.

For us late-nighters, Disney should put the Vault Disney stuff back on TV....that's all I got to say ;)

Grizz16
11-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Even though I would like to see some classic Disney programming from my youth, it would at least be something if they made some new shows for the over-12 year old audience that aren't thinly veiled vehicles for selling CDs and merchandise.

WDWfanatic742
11-04-2007, 07:25 PM
I'd love to see something like a Disney Classic channel or a Disney Park channel or something like that. I'm not nearly old enough to remember any of the old shows, and I'd love to see some of the old shows when Walt would be talking about the his parks and that kind of stuff.

JohnHMCWYG
11-04-2007, 10:05 PM
I miss the old Disney Channel as well. I loved "Kids Incorporated" and the DTV segments, as well as the 70s and 80s specials they would air.

While it would be nice to see more programming for older people, Disney has always been more oriented towards younger people, and many of us aren't young anymore. "Hannah Montana" and "The Suite Life Of Zach And Cody" are to this generation what shows like "Kids Incorporated" and "Avonlea" were to people in my age bracket and what the original "Mickey Mouse Club" was to older posters...Entertaining and enjoyable.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

brownie
11-05-2007, 09:54 AM
My sons enjoy watching all these shows, and we end up watching with them a lot. I like them, so it doesn't bother me at all. We've really enjoyed their made for tv movies, although I thought High School Musical 2 was just okay.

Jeff G
11-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Your family is a clone of mine except to go with the 2, 9 & 11 I have a 9 month old and I agree 100%. I as an adult find very little to watch on my own on the Disney Channel but my kids love it and would have it on 24/7 if I let them. With the limited amount of family suited shows on the big networks I'm glad the kids have a viable option, even if it's a lot of repeats. I don't think kids mind repeats as much as adults, I remember growing up in the 80's watching the Brady Bunch, Leave it to Beaver & Gilligan's Island reruns over and over. When I think back the repeats never bothered me, I think I saw at least every episode of those shows at least 3 times.

The Disney Channel has never been so popular as it is now with Hanna Montana, Zach & Cody, Rave, HSM 1&2, Raven, Cheetah Girls. Their shows are consistantly amongst the top rated shows on cable television on a weekly basis. They are doing something right.

During the mornings they really lock up the toddler market which creates a ton of marketing options with Playhouse Disney. One thing I miss, which I haven't seen in years, is the old morning vintage Mickey Mouse Cartoons. I used to watch those myself as a kids in the morning before school and I'm sure if they were on now my kids would as well.

A Disney Classic Channel would be a great idea to go along with the current channel and offer the classics plus programs geared towards adults. Cartoon Netrwork has Boomerang which isn't part of our basic cable package anymore but my kids enjoyed that while we had it more than the regular CN. Having a Classic Disney channel would allow the current channel to the new tween programming while giving a choice to the rest of us.