PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion question

lovedisneyworld
10-29-2007, 09:10 PM
When riding the Haunted Mansion, is it possible to skip the stretch room and go straight to the ride? I am not crazy about the stretch room part.

DisFan01
10-29-2007, 09:12 PM
It is impossible to skip the stretching room part, because when you enter, the doors are already closed, so you can't really "skip it". Sorry. :(

jkj1224
10-29-2007, 10:10 PM
it's not possible to skip it, but if it bothers you to watch the room stretch try looking towards the floor and closing your eyes...

kbean
10-30-2007, 04:36 AM
I hear some people enter the stretch and never come out. That ...they become part of the ride.

Mrs.Mya
10-30-2007, 08:04 AM
:haha:
I hear some people enter the stretch and never come out. That ...they become part of the ride. :rotfl::yes:

WDWFanatic
10-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Back in the day...we would load the wheel chair guest at the end of the ride and they would not get to do the strech room part. I don't know if it is still this way. Even if it is I don't think you can just skip it and load at the end.

JPL
10-30-2007, 08:44 AM
My only suggestion here would be to ask at CM working the attraction and let them know your concerns with the Stretching Room. Most CM will accomodate guests if they are able to. Just remember it never hurts to ask :thumbsup:

Figgyluv03
10-30-2007, 12:20 PM
I hear some people enter the stretch and never come out. That ...they become part of the ride.

Maybe that's what happens when you try to skip it! ha ha ha!

DisneyDudet
10-30-2007, 12:44 PM
I think its worth another peak, with all the additions to the stretch room itself. Awesome audio upgrades and it just lookes... newer? I would say, try the "re-haunting" once, then if you are still not a fan, ask if there's a way to skip it for next time!

Buttercup
10-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Back in the day...we would load the wheel chair guest at the end of the ride and they would not get to do the strech room part. I don't know if it is still this way. Even if it is I don't think you can just skip it and load at the end.
Not anymore. We went in through another entrance, near the exit of the ride, and after following the CM through a few hallways, we ended up in the fireplace room, just prior to the stretching room. (Wheelchair guests just got loaded on to the doombuggies where everybody else does)
I think they had to bring us in through this alternate entrance because of the turnstiles in the regular entrance.

JPL
10-30-2007, 01:11 PM
After thinking about your post.
I was just wondering if this is a personal preference or a condition like Claustrophobia that makes you not want to enter the stretch room? If it's Claustrophobia explain that to the CM.

lovedisneyworld
10-30-2007, 06:17 PM
I appreciate the concern from everyone. Yes, I am claustrophobic and that is why I do not like that stretching room, but I can do it. I have done it before but just get really nervous about it. I thought if it was not a big deal to the CMs, then maybe I could just skip it. Thanks to you all for your advice on this. It means a lot.

azdisneymom
10-30-2007, 06:35 PM
I am a little claustrophobic. I can do the stretching room but not a crowded room. I just told the CM. Once I was taken in through the exit and another time I was put in the room with about 4 other people (in July). The second time was really silly because while the room was OK I ended up in a very crowded hallway and that was horrible. I just closed my eyes and held DH hand until we got into the car. What I learned was be specific with your request. It is perfectly OK to tell them that you would prefer to go in through the exit. It is Disney and they would rather have you happy than terrified.

LibertyTreeGal
10-30-2007, 06:40 PM
It sure never hurts to ask a CM, so go ahead and ask if there is a way to bypass :) We don't know everything here at Intercot and it is a very good question.

Incidently, if you are able to bypass, be sure to let us know :)

Sharon1026
10-31-2007, 08:17 AM
I think you need to go thru the stretch room, since it's the elevator that takes you down to the ride loading line. With that being said, they must have stairs somewhere due to the fire code, as an alternate to the elevator.

Buttercup
10-31-2007, 09:18 AM
I think you need to go thru the stretch room, since it's the elevator that takes you down to the ride loading line. With that being said, they must have stairs somewhere due to the fire code, as an alternate to the elevator.
Actually, Sharon, I have to correct you on that one. The HM ride at Disneyland in California DOES use the stretch room as an elevator to get down to the loading area. But in Orlando, it's actually the ceiling that rises -- it's not an elevator at all. The floor does not move down to a lower level. You can see evidence of this when the door opens again to send you towards the doombuggies -- the floor is not divided like an elevator would suggest. It's one continuous piece of flooring. :mickey: When they built the Orlando version of the ride, they didn't need to get below ground level for the ride, so building an elevator wasn't necessary.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-31-2007, 10:09 AM
The part about not moving is really important to me!

I have clausterphobia, and hate airplanes and elevators...but knowing that the stretch room isn't really going anywhere or doing anything makes me feel MUCH better.

I don't love it either, but have found that staying on the outside of the group, so that there isn't anyone behind me helps a lot too!

Good Luck...

King Triton
10-31-2007, 12:40 PM
I'd ask. At least before the renovation, there was a chicken exit right after you got out of the stretching room. Maybe a CM could take you around to that exit and let you in there.

Goofy Pluto
11-01-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm not 100% positive about this and I'm not even sure if they would let you, but I think it's TECHNICALLY possible to skip the room...

I seem to remember when we took the KTTK tour we went in through the handicap/special guest enterance and for some reason remember looking through another door that took you to the loading area for the omnimovers. Of course, we didn't go that way, we went to the stretching rooms, but I seem to remember that. Of course, maybe I was imagining it, but I think there is another set of doors that does not take you to one of the stretching rooms that the cast members use. But maybe I'm wrong...

Sharon1026
11-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Actually, Sharon, I have to correct you on that one. The HM ride at Disneyland in California DOES use the stretch room as an elevator to get down to the loading area. But in Orlando, it's actually the ceiling that rises -- it's not an elevator at all. The floor does not move down to a lower level. You can see evidence of this when the door opens again to send you towards the doombuggies -- the floor is not divided like an elevator would suggest. It's one continuous piece of flooring. :mickey: When they built the Orlando version of the ride, they didn't need to get below ground level for the ride, so building an elevator wasn't necessary.

Thanks! I assumed it was the same at both places.

allie_to_you
11-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Not anymore. We went in through another entrance, near the exit of the ride, and after following the CM through a few hallways, we ended up in the fireplace room, just prior to the stretching room. (Wheelchair guests just got loaded on to the doombuggies where everybody else does)
I think they had to bring us in through this alternate entrance because of the turnstiles in the regular entrance.

So do people in wheelchairs have to miss the stretching room altogether now?

SignguyTom
11-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks! I assumed it was the same at both places.

The HM at DL needed to go below ground level so it could get 'beyond the berm'. It was the first attraction there that went outside the railroad tracks.

caryrae
11-02-2007, 06:13 PM
I think if you skip the stretch room they make go in the shrinking room instead and you won't want that, it gets a little more crowded :crowd:

Buttercup
11-02-2007, 08:45 PM
So do people in wheelchairs have to miss the stretching room altogether now?
No - I guess I could have made that clearer... Instead of going through the regular outdoor lineup (under the green awning, past the tombstones and through the turnstiles), they let you in through a special door near the exit of the ride. It's a long hallway done up in spooky old fashioned wallpaper, and I seem to remember signs on other doors in the hallway saying "Master Gracey" and stuff. :D At the end of the hallway, they let you out into the fireplace room -- the same place everyone else starts at (with the picture of the man that changes into a skeleton). From there, you move into the stretching room and then the doombuggies. So everybody gets to go through the same rooms -- they just have to let wheelchairs in through this alternate door because the regular lineup has non-wheelchair friendly turnstiles.