PDA

View Full Version : 26 to 5 in March or May

xoHelloKittyox
10-29-2007, 06:51 PM
A group of my friends and myself are trying to go to Disney in March or May, and I'm stuck doing all the planning! (probably b/c I'm the only disney freak in the bunch!)

It's going to be my friends mom, my friends 5 year old neice, then a 26 year old 22 year old, 19 year old (me!), and two 18 year olds.
Keep in mind the 26 and 22 year old are the only men going :thedolls:

How in the world are we going to fit EVERYTHING in for all these age groups? I'm trying to plan accourding to age, interest, and time of year. Mom and the 5 year old MIGHT be going around the parks with us, but we're not sure yet. I just don't know what to do!
Espicially weither March or May would be better!

Any tips or idea's?
Know of any discount packages?
Any feed back would be AMAZING!

:thanks:

Tygger7
10-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Since Easter is going to be in March next year, I'd try to go in May. The weather is fantastic, and the crowds are great. (We now plan all our trips in May.)

As for trying to plan something for everyone, I wouldn't stress too much. There's really something everyone can enjoy at all the parks. For example, in the MK, in Tomorrowland, you've got Space Mountain, and then Buzz Lightyear. You can focus more heavily on the attractions geared towards children, or you can mix it up so that everyone can do what they want to do. I honestly don't know of any events that I'd bypass, even with my teenager.

And best of all, there's yummy food everywhere...who wouldn't like that!!

Good luck with planning!

Tink#64
10-30-2007, 12:14 AM
May is wonderful! We've only been in May. We've gone with family before, DM & DB & his DG & her DD. I've even given them my guide books to try & plan their own desires! No way. I made all adr's, I planned my families & everyone else said "Oh that sounds good - yeah we want to eat there too" & so it goes. Three years ago we arrived at WDW, after my telling them we just couldn't stay together for 9 days, we'd drive each other crazy(including three kids about a year apart in age) they needed to plan some things that they wanted to do, because it was their vacation too, they agreed, until we got there. They all said we're just going to stick with you, you know what you're doing! :ack:

I thought I'd loose my mind! I'd never do it again, although we have many wonderful memories. Everyone was - like walking on eggshells about everything. Part of the time they all thought I was like the supreme authority & I swear they were planning an overthrow! Everytime we decided to part ways for awhile, they come back & ask - "Did we make you mad?" It was very difficult. On our second park day, DB's DG needed to take a break an hour after arriving at MGM & I thought I was going to explode! It was 10:00 & the park was so empty & it was a great time to be able to do so much wihtout the long lines! Needless to say, we didn't get to do everything we wanted to that year, but we laugh about the fact that between 8 of us, we probably stopped at every bathroom in the parks because no one, of course, was on the same schedule for bathroom breaks!:funny:

It's tough to do, but the memories can be great! I think most things in WDW appeal to most people, so probably whatever you plan, the others will love & trust me, they will be grateful for your planning! I know ours was once in a lifetime experience for us & I will always treasure it, although I wouldn't intentionally plan it again!:funny:

faline
10-30-2007, 06:04 AM
I'd definitely choose May - particularly early May. Crowds are generally low to moderate and the weather is terrific (though already quite humid).

In terms of planning, I'd probably keep that pretty loose. Perhaps just which park you're going to visit on which day with specific meeting points for some meals. That way, the different members of your group can decide to strike out on their own based on interests. Having such a divergent group trying to all tour together may be quite difficult!

vamaggie
10-30-2007, 09:26 AM
I agree with Linda's post above. May is a great time to go and the crowds will not be as big as in March. As for planning I would not try to plan to much besides what parks on what days and ADR's for dinner/breakfast for everyone to meet up for. I would make sure everyone has some type of guide book/park map, etc and have them look over what they may want to do in each park, then have a "planning meeting" (either in person or online or on the phone) to make sure folks can voice opinions about what they want to do. Also, let everyone know that you do not have to be "joined at the ip" the whole time and if someone wants to go off and do something else (or something alone!) that's ok. I've found that when traveling with a large group or with folks who have not all traveled together before that making clear expectations/guidelines ahead of time can save a lot of problems later. Have fun planning!

Janmac
10-30-2007, 11:37 PM
We have traveled with extended family a few times to WDW, with anywhere from 2 years old to 70 in the same group.

Definitely have the meetings and make folks aware of what is available. You can't fit in everything. Everything isn't interesting to everyone, for one thing. For help in figuring out what attractions are more attractive to certain age groups, I like the Unofficial Guide to WDW.

But, individual likes/phobias is key. I hate drops and will not do Splash Mtn or Tower of Terror. My sister and her daughter hate spinning and don't do Teacups. If someone's really motion sickness prone, they might want to pass on Mission Space.

We've toured a variety of different ways. Our first two trips, with most of the extended family being newbies, everyone wanted to tour together all the time. Which was okay, but sure required the realization that we were going to take a lot longer to get things done.

On our first extended family trip, each family member at least of school age had the opportunity to hear/read the attraction discriptions and give a yay or nay on if that attraction sounded good. If a majority liked the attraction, it was included in the touring plan. If the attraction garnered a lukewarm showing, we didn't go to it. This involves a lot of work, unless you're a major planning/Disney freak and then it's fun. :D

It does make for a more enjoyable trip. As much as a memory aid for the trip planner (me) we had daily schedules of which park which day, etc. We toured from rope drop to lunch at either the Studios, AK or MK. Then relaxed, napped or swam until late afternoon when we went to Epcot for evening touring and supper in a different country. We also had 3 sit down meals every day and saw everything we wanted to see. But we didn't see everything.

It's funny you mention the two men in the group. Each of our group members got a daily schedule every morning, but the men invariably handed their schedules off to their wives. And then proceeded to ask, "what's next?" all day.

Our best trip, when touring all together, was when we would split up within a certain area, but travel together to parks and from area to area.

An example would be Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom. We'd arrive together and agree on a meeting place where we'd get back together, say 90 minutes from when we arrived, then split up into groups of like-minded folks to do the attractions. This was before cell phones, so we had to be specific about where to meet. Now with cell phones it's much easier to meet back up.

Every planner has a way that works best for them. I like a calendar, with the EMH hours noted for each day. Then I decide which park to visit each day. Either make sure you're there at rope drop (for an early EMH) or plan to miss that park that day. By working with or around the EMH mornings/nights your daily touring works itself out easily. I also note any ADRs. If you really want to eat at say 50s Prime Time, and you want to avoid EMHs then which day to make which ADRs gets pretty simple.

Perhaps the best trips are the ones you've planned a lot, and then figure that your schedule is more like a guideline. :pirate:

Except for the ADRs. Nobody messes with our meal times. ;)

However it goes, hope you have time to make a trip report when you get home!

Jan

xoHelloKittyox
11-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks to everyone that replied!

It looks like May is when we're going. My friend graduates high school the 27th and we should be heading out around the 28th or possibly the night of the 27th!

I've got everything planned down to the 't'
They've all basically told me "you go ahead and plan the trip, just tell me when to be at the air port and what i should pack!"
I know them all pretty well so I guess it should be easy?
I'm not going to make a schedual or anything because then they'd basically KILL me lol. plus I would probably have a panic attack if nothing was on time or anything haha thats just how I am, even though it even bugs me! kind of a OCD thing :sick:

I'm giong to book for all of us (yup even the boys) to go to the spa! (the boys like getting their toes done haha clear nail polish though!)
And i'm going to see if we can do the princess and pirates party!!!!!! I love pirates! and I know our lil girl will love the princess stuff :)

I have pages and pages of notes and I'm just hopeing that everything will turn out okay.
Any more feed back or anything is welcome! I'm going to be a mess until the day we step on that plane! haha

:thanks: