PDA

View Full Version : Girardi expected to accept Yankees' offer

Hammer
10-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Source: Girardi expected to accept Yankees' offer
ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 29, 2007, 2:10 PM ET

The Yankees officially offered their managerial job to Joe Girardi on Monday morning and he is expected to accept it, a source has told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand.

"The Yankees have offered Joe the opportunity to become their next manager. Discussions are ongoing." Steve Mandell, Girardi's agent, said.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Don Mattingly and Tony Pena that they will not be getting the job.

Girardi was in Denver for the World Series. A source said he is expected to fly to New York for the announcement, which is likely to come Tuesday. Girardi's contract is expected to be in the three-year, $6 million range.

Mattingly will not accept a position on the Yankees coaching staff, Marchand and ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney are reporting.

Hank Steinbrenner, one of owner George Steinbrenner's sons, said Monday he wasn't sure when an announcement would be made. He added there would be more discussions during the day concerning the candidates.

"These guys were put through the ringer," he said from Tampa, Fla. "I think we're ready to make an informed decision."

Howard Rubenstein, a spokesman for George Steinbrenner, said: "We have nothing to announce right now."

Girardi caught for the Yankees from 1996-99, served as a bench coach in 2005, then managed the Marlins the following year and was NL Manager of the Year. He kept a young team in contention until September, then was fired, apparently for clashing with owner Jeffrey Loria and others above him.

The 43-year-old Girardi turned down the Baltimore Orioles' managerial job last summer, choosing to spend time with his father, who had health problems.

Girardi, working as a broadcaster Sunday night for Fox Sports from the World Series in Denver, said he had nothing to announce regarding his status as a manager.

"Still former," Girardi said. "Nothing extra tonight."

Girardi was the first to interview Monday, followed by Mattingly on Tuesday and Pena on Wednesday. Pena won AL Manager of the Year in 2003 after the Kansas City Royals (83-79) posted their first winning season since 1994 -- Hank Steinbrenner told The Times that Pena was "definitely under consideration."

Mattingly has no managerial experience. He spent three seasons as New York's hitting coach before he became Joe Torre's bench coach last year. A six-time All-Star, Mattingly is among the most beloved players in Yankees history.

Torre declined a one-year offer to return at a reduced salary after leading the team to four World Series championships and 12 playoff appearances in as many seasons

PirateLover
10-29-2007, 03:56 PM
This should be interesting.

DizneyFreak2002
10-29-2007, 07:46 PM
I am glad the new manager will be Girardi... I am a Mattingly fan, but, Joe makes more baseball sense... :)

JPL
10-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Girardi is the only choice here especially if they want to retain Posada and Rivera he will be a big part in that since they are familiar with him. I love "Donnie Baseball" but he needs a few more years on the bench before he will be ready to manage.

DisneyGiant
10-30-2007, 08:40 PM
I am starting to get over the Torre "dissing."

I'll give Girardi a shot....... but they better be keeping Posada and Mariano.

And I've been reading rumors about them trading Joba & Melky for Santana. I will be very upset if that happens!