PDA

View Full Version : October Wishes and Dreams-Day 1 Part 1

angel8783
10-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Day 1: Friday October 12

Finally!! Today is the day we leave for Disney!! I had been looking forward to this trip for a year now. I had done some major planning this time around since we had about 7 days this time. I had alternately worried about my MIL because she had not shown much interest in this trip ever since we booked it. She was a little nervous about flying and she really did not even try to grasp the concept of the parks, the resort and the type of vacation it would be as a whole. I was very nervous about her enjoying herself and had scheduled some additional resting time into our trip because of this. We usually do not take the time to rest much on our trips because we are all healthy adults (no kids) and I do not see any reason to miss time in the parks or out doing something other than parks when you only have about a week. I really do like to “see it all” and usually I can (a little foreshadowing there for you).

Our plane left bright and early at 8:55am (ok, usually I take an earlier flight, but the day would be busy and long, so I didn’t want to kill everyone right off the bat). We left our houses and by 6:45 we were off to the airport. We checked our bags, went through security, and went and got some breakfast at the Wendy’s in the airport food court. I could not eat because I was so excited, but everyone else did.

When we finished eating we made our way to our gate and about 10 minutes later we boarded the plane. Soon after we were up in the air on our way to Orlando! The flight was uneventful and my MIL was fine. DH and I passed the time on the plane with our new iPod. We had downloaded several TV shows and so we watched Mythbusters on the way. The plane was very full though! I don’t think there was a seat left. I guess it was prime flying time on a Friday morning. We arrived at MCO and made our way to the airport monorail for our first “ride”. Once we got to the main terminal we went over to the B side to check in at Magical Express. We were on two separate reservations so my Mom and I went and checked us in. After the pleasant check in with ME we walked down the red carpet and straight through the empty POR line and right onto our waiting bus. Our bus had huge pictures of Expedition Everest all over it which was pretty cool. It looked way more interesting that just a regular ME bus. We waited for a little bit for more guests to fill up the bus and then we were off. They had a nice little video on the bus that told you about all the cool things you would find in Disney once you got there. I remember the last time we were on ME last year, they showed a Disney movie. I liked the movie better than the video, but I think that my MIL liked watching the video better since she still did not know what to expect. Once we passed through the purple arches I announced to my family that we were now in Disney World!! We went first to POFQ to drop off guests and then our next stop was POR! I was so very excited to be there. The lobby is really beautiful. DH had given me a hidden Mickey book for our first wedding anniversary (you know, the year when you get paper) and I had read up on the hidden Mickey’s in the lobby of POR. I especially liked the Mickey’s in the lattice work. We all stood in line and my Mom and I checked in our two reservations in no time at all. Not only were our rooms already ready in the early afternoon, but they were exactly what we requested. We were in Alligator Bayou building 15! We took the REALLY long way around because we did not know where we were going. I would have enjoyed the walk better if I hadn’t been so intent on finding our rooms, but really, POR is absolutely beautiful. I just cannot believe you get those beautiful grounds with a moderate resort!

Finally we found our rooms which were wonderful! We requested Alligator Bayou after looking at pictures of Mansion rooms and Bayou rooms. The reason why we requested AB is all of us girls were not really picky about it, but DH made a comment that the Mansion rooms looked like a girl’s bedroom, so we went with AB. We were all very pleased with the resort and our rooms. Building 15 is really close to the South bus depot and the food court, so we really did not have to walk very far. Once we arrived in our rooms the plan was to leave immediately as I wanted all of us to catch lunch at Casey’s Corner. We did not leave right away though and for that I am actually thankful. When DH announced he needed to make a pit stop in the bathroom before our adventure began, I at first was like nooo, we must start Disney vacation!! Then I remembered about the bounceback offer. I had been reading and reading about this on multiple discussion boards and I really, really wanted to book the offer. You just can’t beat free dining, even if it is for the less appealing 2008 dining plan. I had already written down two phone numbers to call. I had read that CM’s working at your resort might know nothing about the offer, or look at you funny, especially since it was to have officially ended at the end of September (and it is October 12th). I knew better than to ask about it when I checked in, so my plan to get this offer that I had heard had indeed extended until the day I arrived was to call the extension that was advertised from my room phone. I called, I asked, I booked!! Yes, next year DH and I are returning September 26-October 2. We are booked at Pop Century preferred room with free dining! Woohooo!! Can I tell you how wonderful it felt to book your next trip for an amazing price ($1200 for the two of us) before you even really started the current one! I was so happy after that I couldn’t stop smiling for about an hour as we made our way to MK later. Of course, my Mom thought I was crazy until she understood that I got free dining for next year with the resort room at value prices and that I had to book it that day in order to get the good price. I think she understood after that.

Now, where were we? Oh yeah, so I booked the bounceback offer before our trip even really began. Then DH finished his pit stop and the mothers were ready, so we made our way to the bus stop and got right on a Magic Kingdom bus. The bus service was really good all week long. Even if we had to stop at other bus stops, it never took too long to get where we wanted to go.

When we got to MK, we walked slowly into the park because we were all taking pictures and admiring the Halloween decorations. We very slowly made our way down Main Street among all those waiting for the 3pm parade. I took a look at MIL as we rounded the corner and caught sight of the castle and then proceeded to walk down. She did not look as impressed as I had hoped. Not even mesmerized really. I thought, well, she will change her mind as she is here. We finally made our way to Casey’s Corner for the most spectacular hot dogs, fries and the richest chocolate brownies I have had in a long time. While we were eating the parade began to come by and my MIL started to perk up a bit. She seemed to really like the floats. I was enjoying the atmosphere and the parade music. This was a new parade for me, but then again, the music from the afternoon parades in MK does all have the same type of tempo and bright feel, so it was almost like any other parade I had seen in MK at that time of day.

After we finished eating we got up and walked toward Adventureland. DH wanted his mom to ride Pirates of the Caribbean as her first Disney ride. We were all too happy to oblige. As we walked toward the ride (which is at the end of Adventureland, I began catching wind of what our trip would be like as we walked, sometimes ran and meandered around the parks. My MIL could not or did not want to “keep up”. I tried to be understanding at first. I mean, it was her first time, there was a lot to see, and she wanted to take pictures. So…. I walked slower. I was practically crawling (at least it felt that way). It seemed that the slower I walked, the slower she walked. Maybe I just kept speeding up, or maybe she just slowed down even more, but it was clear to me that we would have a lagger in our group. What is a lagger? Well, that is not really a word, I just made it up. My definition of a lagger: someone who either cannot or does not want to keep up when walking from one destination to another with the group they are with. My MIL is a little Pooh sized and that can cause you to walk a little slower, but of all of us, my Mom is the only one without a weight problem. And, how to explain that when I walked slow, she still kept the same distance behind us, even when she ran out of room on her camera and could not take pictures anymore, I cannot. Sometimes she was several feet behind us. Think like we are at Jungle Cruise and she is at Swiss Family Robinson Tree House distance. This caused a split in our group when we were walking. My DH would bounce back and forth between his mom and me and my mom. He seemed caught in the middle. He asked her to try to keep up and she agreed, but never, not once really, did she keep up with us for longer than maybe 30 minutes.

Frustration aside, we made our way to Pirates.

faline
10-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Congrats on booking next year's vacation already!

Sorry your mother-in-law doesn't seem to "get" Disney. I guess not everyone can love Disney the way we do! Hopefully, you still manage to have an enjoyable vacation!

MauiMouse
10-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Our bus had huge pictures of Expedition Everest all over it which was pretty cool. It looked way more interesting that just a regular ME bus.

You had our own's Jeanne's bus, Piglet822! :thumbsup:

Yum, Casey's hot dog! :tasty:

pdrlkr
10-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Piglet822
10-29-2007, 09:11 PM
You had our own's Jeanne's bus, Piglet822! :thumbsup:

Yum, Casey's hot dog! :tasty:

Well, we do have two of them but I wasn't working that day. I was celebrating at WDW for INTERCOT's 10th anniversary :party:

I'm glad you all had a good DME experience :thumbsup:

dolphinmickey9170
10-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks for sharing such a great start to your fabulous vacation!! Congrats on booking next year and getting the great price.

ChipnDaleGal
10-30-2007, 09:33 AM
I hope things improve for you with your mother in law's enthusiasm. But at least it is better to be in WDW and a little frustrated, than to be home at work dreaming about WDW. Congrats on the nice booking for next year!! :mickey:

AbeeNormal
10-30-2007, 06:36 PM
How exciting to book your next vacation at the start of this vacation..... Lucky Girl. :cloud9:

I just wish your MIL would perk up a bit.:)

emerzmom
10-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Sorry about your MIL. I have never been with someone who "didn't get it" but I have heard about them. Sorry she slowed you down on your trip.

youngOx96
10-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Laggers aside, it sounds like you had a great start. Perhaps with a little positive reinforcement (i.e. a cattle prod :D) she will come around. Okay, I'm just kidding about the cattle prod, but the positive reinforcement might be effective. Good luck and remember to have a good time.