PDA

View Full Version : Atonement (opens December 7 limited)

NotaGeek
10-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Ok, so I finally went to the movies after what seems like MONTHS since my last flick. I saw Into the Wild (which was amazing by the way!) and I saw some really good trailers. My new movie obsession, and the one I can't wait for, is Atonement with Kiera Knightly (who luckily is in no way portraying a pirate :mickey:) and James McAvoy (my new crush from Becoming Jane).

You can see the trailer by either going to the Official Atonement Website (http://www.atonementthemovie.co.uk/site/site.html) or the Yahoo Page (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809714841/info). Don't pay attention to the official web page saying the movie is already in theaters, that's in the UK and unfortunately it's definitely not out for wide release until after December 7 in the US. Anyone else excited to see this? I am SURE there are at least 3 women on INTERCOT that I happen to know very well that are ... :D

Jared
10-30-2007, 01:53 AM
Here's another one I'm really looking forward to, and I've heard a lot of Oscar buzz surrounding this film. I'll be home--not in Syracuse--the week after "Atonement" comes out, so I should see it in its second weekend.

We may have a Best Picture nominee here, and Keira Knightley deserves that kind of recognition. "Atonement" is directed by Joe Wright, the same man who directed "Pride & Prejudice", and I expect this effort to be even better.

ChipnDaleGal
10-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Michael, I have seen this trailer twice and I also can not wait for the film to open. Based on the trailer I am bringing kleenex along, as it looks like a very emotional story.

MNNHFLTX
10-30-2007, 08:49 AM
I think I might be one of the women that you spoke about, Michael. :D

Atonement sounds like a very beautiful and touching film. I even plan to see it in the theater (something I don't do too much these days). :)

Melanie
10-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Isn't this Narnia guy again? Haven't heard much about this movie. I'll probably have to wait until DVD to see it.

NotaGeek
10-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Isn't this Narnia guy again? Haven't heard much about this movie. I'll probably have to wait until DVD to see it.

Yep, it's cute little Mr. Tumnus. The movie looks really good Mel.

Jared
12-29-2007, 09:23 AM
So the picture is out and receiving overwhelmingly positive buzz from critics, but viewers seem a little less impressed.

Has anybody seen the film and want to write his impressions?

MNNHFLTX
12-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Well, I did finally see it in the theater today (while my husband and son saw National Treasure 2) and was very impressed. The story was presented in such a way as to keep things moving (interesting use of flashbacks). This movie is definitely romantic, although it has enough grittiness to keep it from being too mushy (for lack of a better word). The cinemtography is the real star of the show though--absolutely stunning, as was the musical score.

As for the actors, I loved James Mcavoy and the actress, Saoirse Ronan, as the younger sister (as well as Ronan Garai, who plays her in later years). Keira Knightley plays her part for all it's worth but (please don't flame me for this) it still grated on me a bit. I have to admit that aside from the Pirate films I am not a big fan of hers--she just seems so melodramatic in her roles sometimes. I had to wait until the end of the film to see what role Vanessa Redgrave plays, but it was worth it. It was also a treat to see some short scenes with Gina McKee, who was in The Forsyte Saga, a favorite miniseries of mine.

I don't know that it is a movie of epic proportions, but it is entertaining and beautifully done.

ChipnDaleGal
12-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks for your review, Beth. I still want to see this movie, but I think I have decided to wait and catch it on cable. I think I want to cry over it in my living room.