PDA

View Full Version : Microwave...

Minnie Magic
10-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know if we can request to have a microwave in our room...

We'll be staying at the FQ.

I know this probably sounds weird, but we were planning on bringing snacks down with us and my kids love the microwave popcorn. Also, I have an 18month old who loves her milk warmed up so having one in the room would be oh so convenient.

BronxTigger
10-28-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't think microwaves are allowed in the hotel rooms. I read somewhere it has something to do with fire codes. At FQ, you will have a little fridge and coffee pot in the room. I believe I saw a microwave available for guest use at the FQ food court next to the drink station, but I could be wrong.

PirateLover
10-28-2007, 02:11 PM
You cannot request a microwave. I am almost certain that all food courts do have one available for use, however.

LandFan
10-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Does anyone know if we can request to have a microwave in our room...
Also, I have an 18month old who loves her milk warmed up so having one in the room would be oh so convenient.

Just an FYI... don't ever microwave milk and then drink it (especially for an infant) as the properties of milk change when hit with those waves and it affects your nervous system. As infants are smaller, it has a greater effect on them. This is pretty well documented in the scientific community. I've known this since the early 90's as one of my good friends was a doctoral candidate and was doing research on it but I've seen much more info on it since then.

Take it or leave it or do your own research - I just thought I'd share that in case you didn't know. Hope the info helps you.

I saw this post twice so I put this in both places...

CleveRocks
10-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Microwaves are not permitted in rooms, even if you bring one yourself.

POFQ has a microwave for public use at the beverage island.

In your room, the coffee maker can be an excellent bottle warmer -- stand the bottle in the heated water for as long as needed. Through 2 kids, we never once used the microwave to heat bottles. We always used water from our "instant hot" (at our kitchen sink) to heat bottles -- stand the bottle in a container of the hot water. We didn't skip the microwave due to any ideas of chemical changes to the milk, but rather because microwaves tend to heat unevenly, so it would be possible to test the milk and think the temperature is OK even if there is also a super hot-spot in the bottle. My wife is a board-certified pediatrician, and she was taught to warn parents away from the microwave for this reason.

DisneyDudet
10-28-2007, 04:27 PM
I do believe that they have microwaves at the food court for guest use. No need to purchase anything, you can use it. Last time I saw, it was out, kind of around the drink stations.

You can also use the hot water that comes out of the coffee maker in cups to warm your bottles.

I was taught in nursing school to not use microwaves for warming bottles for the reason of "hot spots" which don't always go away after shaking and mixing. I don't have kids, so I never practiced anything.

If that is too inconvenient, maybe your kids will fall in love with the popcorn from the parks, and not want the microwaveable kind! I know I LOVE their popcorn!

#1donaldfan
10-28-2007, 05:38 PM
You can pop some at the food court. I seriously doubt you can get one for your room....but it'd definatley worth an ask.....:mickey:

Maryutigger1
10-28-2007, 06:23 PM
I am just wondering why they won't allow you to have a microwave at PO when we have one at SSR&S....? We've stayed here 3 times and we
have one EVERY time we've gone!!

Interesting~~
Maryutigger1

Upcoming WDW trips:
November 10th-15th, 2007 "Home" SSR&S
April 27th-30th, 2008 (DH Birthday) :party: SSR&S
July ?? , 2008 Beach Club

BronxTigger
10-28-2007, 06:42 PM
This is unrelated to the OP's question but related to some of the responses.

If was stated that it's unhealthy to drink milk heated in the microwave, even for adults. However, I like to make cocoa with warm milk, and I head it in the microwave (2 cups milk for 2 minutes). If I don't use the microwave....how should I heat it? :confused:

medic9016
10-28-2007, 07:29 PM
I am just wondering why they won't allow you to have a microwave at PO when we have one at SSR&S....? We've stayed here 3 times and we

It has to do with occupancy type ,fire codes, and local ordinances.

vamaggie
10-28-2007, 08:10 PM

I think (but not 100% sure) it is because SSR&S are suites that are set up to have kitchens and cooking. The hotel rooms are not. I think the fire codes & occupancies are tied to the room "type" it is classified as.

This is unrelated to the OP's question but related to some of the responses.

If was stated that it's unhealthy to drink milk heated in the microwave, even for adults. However, I like to make cocoa with warm milk, and I head it in the microwave (2 cups milk for 2 minutes). If I don't use the microwave....how should I heat it? :confused:

Heat it on the stove, stirring fairly constantly til hot but not boiling. Don't leave it or it can burn (and that is really ugly!) I've done it both ways and it seems the stove milk mixes better (but that could just be my perception). Think I'll go make some right now! Enjoy!!:thumbsup:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
10-28-2007, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=LandFan;1459799]Just an FYI... don't ever microwave milk and then drink it (especially for an infant) as the properties of milk change when hit with those waves and it affects your nervous system. As infants are smaller, it has a greater effect on them. This is pretty well documented in the scientific community. I've known this since the early 90's as one of my good friends was a doctoral candidate and was doing research on it but I've seen much more info on it since then.

I apologize for the following nerdiness, but I can't stop:
You're right & wrong. The central and peripheral nervous systems are not affected (according to current detection techniques). The reason why you should not microwave milk is that the milk forms hot "pockets" or bubbles which could burn the child. Of course, you could stir the milk well, but the medical community is told to err on the side of caution and warn against microwaving milk since that is most common food for infants. Now the thinking is being spread to include infant foods.

LandFan
10-28-2007, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=LandFan;1459799]Just an FYI... don't ever microwave milk and then drink it (especially for an infant) as the properties of milk change when hit with those waves and it affects your nervous system. As infants are smaller, it has a greater effect on them. This is pretty well documented in the scientific community. I've known this since the early 90's as one of my good friends was a doctoral candidate and was doing research on it but I've seen much more info on it since then.

I apologize for the following nerdiness, but I can't stop:
You're right & wrong. The central and peripheral nervous systems are not affected (according to current detection techniques). The reason why you should not microwave milk is that the milk forms hot "pockets" or bubbles which could burn the child. Of course, you could stir the milk well, but the medical community is told to err on the side of caution and warn against microwaving milk since that is most common food for infants. Now the thinking is being spread to include infant foods.

Cool, maybe the scientific community has once again changed their minds... They seem to do this all the time so it wouldn't surprise me. I still won't microwave milk though - just in case they change their minds back!!

minnie1956
10-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Fire safety, rooms are wired and rated for only so much, and microwaves isn't one of them. There are plenty in the food courts for use. I'm sure your kids can deal with it. Besides, there are sooooo many yummy things they'll most likely get during the day they may not miss it.
All the vacation homes have microwaves because they are set up like a home, not a hotel room. The DVC is a great way to vacation by the way! Heating the bottle may take a little longer in the coffee maker or the "old fashioned" way, but you'll be safer and so will the rest of the guests in the resort. Have fun and enjoy. You'll find the best popcorn down there at the parks anyway. We have 7 buckets here from our trips. They make great utensil holders by the stove. :D