PDA

View Full Version : A Question and Help About Rental companies

Butchiem1
10-27-2007, 07:27 PM
I have a reservation booked with Alamo for a minivan, Jan 17 - Jan 27 (10 days) for 389.00

I also have a reservation booked with Thrifty for a minivan, same dates for 329.00

Both reservations Im picking up in Orlando, but dropping off in Ft. Lauderdale.

Im traveling with my DW, DS 11, DS 9, DD 2 1/2, DS 8 Months old.

Am I better going with alamo because its on site at the airport, or should I save $60 and go with Thrifty, and take the shuttle.

Im hoping you can help me, and maybe even know of a better deal.

Thanks

Nathan

Tinkerbellfan
10-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi,

Have you tried all the different discounts for Alamo? We were able to get a standard SUV for a week for only $189. I know we were able to get about 35% off of our reservation due to their "hot deals" offers on their web site.

We the number of little ones in your party, I would recommend going with Alamo. Someone can get the bags while someone else is filling out the paperwork to get the car. And, then you can walk right out to to get the car vs. having to get on a shuttle with all of your bags.

CanadianWDWFan
10-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Hi,

Have you tried all the different discounts for Alamo? We were able to get a standard SUV for a week for only $189. I know we were able to get about 35% off of our reservation due to their "hot deals" offers on their web site.

:thumbsup: We got our rental for the same as you! We signed up for the hot deals emails. We got our deal about 4 weeks out.

Good luck!

Speedy1998
10-27-2007, 10:33 PM
IF you do not need the car for the entire week and you are staying on property, you could always take Magical Express from the Orlando airport to the property, and then do a one day rental from the Alamo on WDW property to get you to Ft. Lauderdale. I think a one day rental for a Mini-van runs in the $60 range.

Butchiem1
10-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Hi,

We were able to get a standard SUV for a week for only $189.

Was this rate the base rate, or with all the taxes and fees? This rate is very cheap. My rate is after all the taxes and fees, but not including the 2 car seats im gonna need ;)

CPT Trips
10-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Have you thought about using the car seats on the plane?

Butchiem1
10-28-2007, 01:28 PM
The problem with using the car seat on the plane, is that my 2 1/2 year old needs one of those front facing car seats that are hard to carry, and my 8 month old is not getting a seat he will be a lap baby.

CanadianWDWFan
10-28-2007, 09:40 PM
The problem with using the car seat on the plane, is that my 2 1/2 year old needs one of those front facing car seats that are hard to carry, and my 8 month old is not getting a seat he will be a lap baby.
Check the car seats. It will save you a bundle. The rental agencies charge something like $10/day.

As for rental car type. try renting anything else but a minivan. They charge way too much for them. A full size SUV will hold 5 and carry a whole bunch of luggage.

CPT Trips
10-29-2007, 01:20 AM
Check the car seats. It will save you a bundle. The rental agencies charge something like $10/day.

As for rental car type. try renting anything else but a minivan. They charge way too much for them. A full size SUV will hold 5 and carry a whole bunch of luggage.

I counted 6 people in the family . . . think he's stuck with a minivan.

CanadianWDWFan
10-29-2007, 09:54 AM
I counted 6 people in the family . . . think he's stuck with a minivan.
:blush: Should have counted. Sorry:blush:

SteveL
10-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Does that include the charge to drop-off the car in Ft Lauderdale?
I once rented in Atlanta and dropped it in Orlando only to find that there was a charge of about $120 to do this.
I could have probably gotten a cheap AirTran flight from Atlanta to Orlando and saved some money as well as time.

King Triton
10-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Does that include the charge to drop-off the car in Ft Lauderdale?
I once rented in Atlanta and dropped it in Orlando only to find that there was a charge of about $120 to do this.

Generally speaking, there are no drop off charges within the state of Florida. I've flown into Tampa and out of Orlando (and vice versa) and have flown into Orlando and out of Ft. Lauderdale and have always had decent rates on cars.

One gotcha is that sometimes you can't use rental coupons unless you return the car to the same place, but that may no longer be true.

The $400 for 10 days for a minivan sounds high to me. I would think discounts could be had to knock that down into the $200+ range. Find some discounts and keep looking. Rates change frequently.

Also, some of the minvans may have built-in child seats that you wouldn't have to pay for. The 8 month old will be in a carrier that you bring anyway (I assume). A good idea is to call the local rental agency and ask them about their inventory.

Speedy1998 also brought up a good point. Are you staying on-property? If so, DME may be the solution and you'll save a huge amount. You can rent, for instance, at the Car Care Center (Alamo) outside the MK. They will pick you up at your resort and take you to the CCC to get your vehicle. Then you can drive it to Fort Lauderdale. Again, you wouldn't need it until that leg of the trip. There are also rental locations at the Dolphin (Alamo/National), Grosvenor (Dollar?), Hilton and Doubletree. My last trip I rented from Alamo at the Car Care Center and it was very convenient.

Butchiem1
10-29-2007, 01:06 PM
There is no dropoff charge at all.

Butchiem1
10-29-2007, 01:24 PM
where could I find coupons to lower the rate, is there somewhere specifically I can check?

All help is appreciated

CanadianWDWFan
10-29-2007, 01:45 PM
I signed up for Alamo's email alerts. Every week I get an email from them with the "Hot Deals" and I get the rate code and apply it to my reservation to see if it is a better rate.

I found it easier to go and get a new quote after clicking on the link in the email and running through the process just to get the rate code. Once I get the code I then modify my reservation with the new code. If it is better I then update my reservation otherwise I just leave it alone.

I also get similar emails from Avis and Budget.

Hope this helps.

laprana
10-30-2007, 11:33 AM
You could sign up for the Alamo Hot Deals e-mails right on the Alamo web site. Also, you might go to the {site name removed per Terms of Service}. We got a great Alamo code from there that's saving us about 20% on our rental in December, and I think that site also has codes and coupons for other rental companies, as well. We have used Alamo every trip to WDW. We used to drive and rented a minivan for that since it's about an 18-hour trip for us. But last time we flew, and plan to fly from now on. Either way, we've never had anything but great experiences with Alamo. They also have online check-in now at most major airport locations, so you don't have to wait in line to get your car! You just check in before you leave home, print out all your paperwork, go to the Alamo location, pick out your car, and show your paperwork to the guy at the exit booth. Easy-peasy! Saves a lot of time standing in line, too! Good luck with your decision and have a great trip! :mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
10-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Getting back to your original question, I would highly recommend grabbing a rental car on site at the airport. If that means you pay a little more for Alamo, it's probably worth it (if you can get Alamo cheaper, that's even better). But with a family of 6, including two under 3 yrs old, it will be so much easier to rent a luggage cart or get the help of a skycap to just walk your bags and family across the street for the car. Having to pile on a bus and then off a bus and then wait in line again - not worth a few dollars. Have a fun trip.

Tinkerbellfan
10-30-2007, 07:11 PM
This $189 rate includes all of the fees and taxes - it is the total price. I was quite happy with myself for getting the price down so low!

CanadianWDWFan
10-30-2007, 10:07 PM
This $189 rate includes all of the fees and taxes - it is the total price. I was quite happy with myself for getting the price down so low!
:thumbsup:Good for you!!! It is amazing what a little leg work can save you. I usually try to book with two agencies and do some searching for the rate codes.

d_m_n_n
11-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Getting back to your original question, I would highly recommend grabbing a rental car on site at the airport. If that means you pay a little more for Alamo, it's probably worth it (if you can get Alamo cheaper, that's even better). But with a family of 6, including two under 3 yrs old, it will be so much easier to rent a luggage cart or get the help of a skycap to just walk your bags and family across the street for the car. Having to pile on a bus and then off a bus and then wait in line again - not worth a few dollars. Have a fun trip.

:yes: I would gladly pay $60 to use an onsite car rental...used off-site once and NEVER AGAIN!!! Not worth the hassle (and there was only 3 of us at the time :) ).