PDA

View Full Version : First Time

icecap
10-26-2007, 03:10 PM
:mickey:
We are going to WDW inthe end of nov being our first trip to Florida we are going for 16 nights. Do we stay in disney world or out side we want to see more than disney we are estimating 8 days in disney.Should we rent a car there is six of us my DS 17,15,11, and 9.
This is a family vacation we are looking at staying at the wyndham bonnet creek resort. one more thing we are from northern canada and I have been reading that it is cold for swimming in dec if I am right would the high 70 be about 24 or 25 degrees celceus. Any info or suggetions would be great as I am totally overwhelmed by it all.
Thanks icecap

ThanxForNoticin
10-26-2007, 03:33 PM
SO many things to consider! If you are planning to stay at the Wyndham, which is off-site, then I think you will definitely want to get a car. You are near Disney there, but I'm pretty sure you will have no access to Disney transportation. A car will give you so much more flexibility.

As for swimming in December. The winter weather in Florida can be fickle, but I find it hard to believe that you would be there for that long and not have several nice warm days to swim, or even do the water parks. We often go in January, and most trips we'll have some (if not all) days get into the 70s or 80s (F).

It sounds like you are putting together a great trip. I'm also sure there will be more folks with advice - that along with reading through ICot should put you in good shape for a great time. Have fun!

ibrowse17
10-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Fist off, :welcome: to Intercot. If it were me, I would stay at Disney the entire trip, and mix in the days I was to visit off Disney with my planned days at Disney. I would also rent a car, but would make sure to make use of the free transportation with Disney. You might want to go to SeaWorld during the day, but also the fireworks at the MK, or dinner at a resort. So many options that I would not limit myself to just a few days here and a few days there. Have a great trip, and enjoy every moment of it.:thumbsup:
P.S. The pools are heated.

vamaggie
10-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Also :welcome: You can stay on site at Disney even if you are not going to the parks every day. Since you will be 6 people and staying for a long visit, you may want to look into getting a DVC unit with a kitchen and laundry facilities. Since you are planning on seeing sites other than Disney, I would rent a car. It will give you more flexibility. Good luck with the planning!

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-26-2007, 04:21 PM
:mickey:
We are going to WDW inthe end of nov being our first trip to Florida we are going for 16 nights. Do we stay in disney world or out side we want to see more than disney we are estimating 8 days in disney.Should we rent a car there is six of us my DS 17,15,11, and 9.
This is a family vacation we are looking at staying at the wyndham bonnet creek resort. one more thing we are from northern canada and I have been reading that it is cold for swimming in dec if I am right would the high 70 be about 24 or 25 degrees celceus. Any info or suggetions would be great as I am totally overwhelmed by it all.
Thanks icecap:party: You cannot go wrong staying at Disney. Also, most of the Disney Resorts have heated pools. My son has gone swimming during both of our December trips.

caryrae
10-26-2007, 04:31 PM
For your first trip, if you can afford it I would stay on site you would loveit. You can still rent a car for non disney things and use the free transportation when going to disney parks. One other reason since there are 6 of you and you will probably buy stuff at the Disney parks, if you stay at a Disney Resort you can buy something at the park and have it shipped to your resort free of charge. That way you won't have to lug souveniers around.

If you wanted to get by cheaper you could book 2 connecting rooms at a value resort and just keep the inside door between the 2 rooms open then it's like you have a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom "suite"

Otherwise there are lots of vacation homes around. We rented a home once and it was great. We had 11 people and the home had 4 bedrooms 3 bathrooms, full kitchen, all the dishes pots and pans silverware ect, washer and dryer, and a small private screened in pool. All that for only $700 total for 7 days 7 nights.

If you are interested in renting a home let me know and I will send you the link to where I used.

WelshieLover
10-26-2007, 05:09 PM
It looks like from original post that you are already planning to stay at Bonnet Creek. If I were you I would try to stay at a WDW resort for the first 8 days you plan on spending there then rent a car at WDW and move to Bonnet Creek. That way you get the advantages of being on site - you can probably take Magical Express to get to you resort and then use your rental to get to the airport. You would save on the rental car until you need it.

As far as swimming goes being from New England my family would not think it was too cold to swim if it was 70 degrees especially in a heated pool. Those of us without thin blood have more tolerance for swimming in December than others who live further south.

faline
10-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Personally, I would choose to stay on Disney property.

Weather in December can be variable. We've had very warm weather and have been able to enjoy the pools and/or water parks very comfortably. We've also had times where we've had very cold weather - think layers, winters coats and mittens.

With a trip that covers 16 days, you could experience a range of weather experience. Pack for all eventualities - from summer to winter!

teambricker04
10-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Four sons! That must be fun!!! :)

I LOVE staying on property vs. off site. It is easy enough to get to other things from WDW, but you have access to Disney Magical Express and don't need to rent a car for the entire time. Also you can do Extra Magical Hours if you stay on property. Even if you stay for just part of your time, I think it is worth it.

Bring your suits... I bet you all will do some swimming!!!

Have fun!

PS I am jealous... I want to go for 16 days!!! :envy:

Hooked on Mickey
10-28-2007, 01:05 AM
That's a long way to come and not get the full Disney experience. Try one of the All Star resorts then move to a more expensive resort for a new experience. We often will split time at different resorts. Like two vacations in one. At 16 days you'd still have time to stay off site if you wished.

Having stayed both on and off site; I can tell you your missing something off property. Swimming could be hit or miss, but usually there's no problem; especially being from the Great White North.

You may find it hard to believe, but even at 16 days you can't do all of Disney. Sure you'll hit each park and maybe even every ride, but there's sooooo much more. Take a day or two just exploring the different resorts. There are other nonpark areas... the boardwalk, Downtown Disney, Fort wilderness, etc. There are so many activities... tours, boat rentals, biking, fishing, golfing, shows, dining galore, shopping, (the shopping will find you) you can't hide from that.

Whatever you do; enjoy:)

PetefromRI
10-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Just one more thing.If your planning to go this December you better get on the horn and get those ressies.I'd stay the whole 16 days at Disney.You can always rent a car if the need be.We stayed at the Marriott Grande Vista last May,a 3 bedroom villa with plenty of room for all.

heidi614
11-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Florida is Great. WDW is even better! We have gone in Nov.the last 5 years. Cooler in the evening but fine for swimming on a sunny day! The kids don't mind as much as us! If you can stay at the disney resorts for the days your there, you won't need a rental car.Buses go everywhere, other resorts, all the parks and Downtown Disney. Sign Up ahead of time and Disney Magical Express will take your luggage right to your room, and you take a bus! EASY!!! Then maybe get a rental car for the other 8 days to go explore FL. I hope you have plans to go to Kennedy Space Center and the Beach. I hope you have all your dining planned. Advanced Dining Reservations a must. Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary Hotel is a must. BLD, Ride the monorail. Look at the maps and plan your day according to each area. Instead of going here and then all the way there etc. Stay in one area and do all that is there! Line up for the parades at least 1 hour ahead of time! Don't miss Electrical parade at MK and Wishes. Take advantage of the Fast Pass Lines too. Don't miss Soaring ride at Epcot. Just a few of our favorites! Hope this helps.:mickey: Have Fun!

TikiGoddess
11-03-2007, 08:37 PM
If I were planning this trip, I would stay offsite, most likely a vacation home/condo. This way you would have your own kitchen, tons of space for everyone, laundry, and either a private pool or a resort pool. Two weeks is a long time to be living out of a hotel room.

You could split the stay and do a week offsite and then move onsite for the Disney portion of your trip. The best of both worlds!

Have fun!
TikiG