PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Lodge review

Hammer
10-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Where: Wilderness Lodge-Courtyard view
When: October 12-17
Who: Your Accommodations moderator Hammer and my sister Cheryl

Let me start by saying we liked the resort. You may not believe that after you read my criticisms, but we really did like it!

Let’s start with the good things. We received room 6067, which has a great view of the pool and Fire Rock Geyser. Had we been in our room during the Electric Water Pageant, we would have had a nice view of it. Our housekeeper was the infamous Pam Rios and she did a really good job cleaning the room. We received a few towel animals/people during our 5 night stay. I’ll try to post the pictures later on. I have to admit, the towels were really atrocious, but that isn’t Pam’s fault. My sister comes out of her shower the first day, walks into the room with the towel which she is holding together as it barely reaches around her (and she isn’t overweight like me) and exclaims “These are not deluxe towels! Deluxe towels should be able to adequately go around and tuck for an average sized person. Not to mention they are rough enough to use as an exfoliator!” I know the towels are being upgraded, but really, it should not take 3 months to upgrade the linens and towels at 10-12 hotels.

The bell services/valet staff here was good, though the same cannot be said of valet staffs at some of the other deluxe resorts. My sister and I noticed that the valets, which we know are now outsourced, are supervised by a Disney employee. Cheryl also noticed that the Disney employee had a slightly different uniform than the contracted employees. This came into play when we had a problem with the valet service at the Beach Club (that will be detailed in a separate post). Angel, who worked the Wilderness Lodge valet area, was fantastic and will be getting a complimentary letter sent about him. He kept things moving and immediately locked up my sister’s work laptop in the cage when we stowed our luggage on Wednesday morning. The food at Roaring Fork was quite good. I especially enjoyed the salad with chicken, apples and candied walnuts. The pool bar makes very good drinks (I had a Salmon Run and Cheryl had a strawberry margarita). The Salmon Run is no longer listed on the menu as all of the hotel bars seem to be going to a generic specialty drink menu (which I personally think is a bad thing) but the bartender had the ingredients memorized and made one for me, which is a sign of a good bartender to me.

Now I’ll give my criticisms. While the Wilderness Lodge was nice, it really does not fulfill the definition of deluxe that many people have. As I and most people who post here on Intercot know, Wilderness Lodge is a low end deluxe, but if you were just your average middle to upper management type who is looking for deluxe accommodations at Walt Disney World for his family, he/she isn’t going to know that and will book based on theme alone. Really the only difference between Wilderness Lodge and Coronado Springs is that Wilderness Lodge has an alternate to bus transportation to 1 park, interior hallways, queen beds, and the option to have turndown and valet parking (though use of valet parking is not limited to guests of the hotel). Honestly, that isn’t worth the $100 price difference to me (comparing standard view, regular season at Wilderness Lodge vs. standard view, regular season at Coronado Springs) Fortunately, I had received an email PIN code so the price difference was only about $40. I thought the pool was better at Coronado Springs (bigger pool and hot tub and more seating) and the limited room service dining menus are about the same. Would I stay here again? Yes, but only at a discounted rate.

SgtTigger
10-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for your report..... But I really love the Lodge and could not compare it to Coronado Springs............

I too love the food at Roaring Fork it is much better than in the past... they do need to bring back the BBQ sandwich though......

:)

:cop: :tigger:

Hammer
10-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Like I said in the beginning of my thread, I really did like the resort as a whole. I just wanted to give an analysis of amenities vs. cost/value.

This is probably one of the main reasons the deluxe resorts no longer have a concierge level but now call it "club" level. I'm sure many people booked the former concierge level expecting traditional concierge services that you receive at other high end hotels. When they didn't get that, I'm sure people complained.

Maleficent's Dad
10-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Christine,

Thanks for the review. :thumbsup:

I have very similar feelings towards the WL as do you. I really like the resort a lot!

I do feel the pool is totally inadequate for the resort's size, however. It's a pet peeve of mine that is often criticized here on Intercot! I also love the pool at CSR. The pyramid theme and size of pool is far superior to the WL.

I also agree about the 'generic drink menu' at the bars - the GF had the same drinks as the WL this past August...:shake:

Your towel story made me laugh! :funny: Only because DW has had similar experiences.

We'll be back to the WL, specifically the villas. We can criticize the place, but we also like it. The only places we won't visit again are the All-Stars. You couldn't pay me to return there again.

Thanks for the review! :mickey:

SgtTigger
10-24-2007, 10:27 PM
I also agree about the 'generic drink menu' at the bars - the GF had the same drinks as the WL this past August

You know I read that in Christines report but then I read it again in Franks report..... I don't really drink but I do like to snack.... The same "generic drink menu" has the same generic snacks.......
Wilderness Lodge use to have the best chicken wings 3 different kinds..... now they have the same chicken wings as every other resort lounge almost..... So I can join you in this complaint....
Christine thanks again for the report........

In just 20 days I will be at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge........

:cop: :tigger:

mttafire
10-24-2007, 10:39 PM
For us, W.L. is one of our Fav. Deluxes. The price IS one of the reasons we like it so much. (Its cheaper than the Poly or G.F.)When we can afford a deluxe..W.L. is where we usually end up.:thumbsup::mickey: As for the qaulity of towels, When we're at Disney..Im just so happy to be there, id bring my own towels if i had too.

Ian
10-25-2007, 10:42 AM
When we're at Disney..Im just so happy to be there, id bring my own towels if i had too.That's an odd position, but hey ... knock yourself out!

Me? I kinda expect to be provided with clean, fresh linens when I'm paying $200 a night for a hotel room.

Call me fussy, I guess.

mttafire
10-25-2007, 11:34 AM
That's an odd position, but hey ... knock yourself out!

Me? I kinda expect to be provided with clean, fresh linens when I'm paying $200 a night for a hotel room.

Call me fussy, I guess.
I think my point was well understood.
The O.P. never said she wasnt provided with clean fresh linens. She said they were a bit small and coarse. NEVER have i encountered a room with dirty towels or linen at Disney. Never noticed towels being too small either.
:mickey:

Crow
10-25-2007, 05:27 PM
i can mostly agree. stayed at CSR in May & WL in Sept
and i do love the lodge.
just not the courtyard and standard views i got.
i will have to debate where for my next stay, esp w price differences. hope that my AP will get me a good rate, but i wont hold my breath.
i still love AP also.
lets hope the diff resorts get diff things more, drinkwise foodwise etc. thats what makes them unique. of course it costs Disney more that way rather than just standardizing everything.

Ian
10-25-2007, 05:42 PM
I think my point was well understood.
The O.P. never said she wasnt provided with clean fresh linens. She said they were a bit small and coarse. NEVER have i encountered a room with dirty towels or linen at Disney. Never noticed towels being too small either.
:mickey:That's you. It's happened to lots of other people, though.

mttafire
10-25-2007, 09:45 PM
That's you. It's happened to lots of other people, though.
Correct. My Disney resort experiences are nothing but fantastic. Im sharing that experience. The "satisfied" customer of Disney FAR outweigh the less than satisfied. Not even close. :mickey:

Hammer
10-25-2007, 11:09 PM
The "satisfied" customer of Disney FAR outweigh the less than satisfied. Not even close. :mickey:

And that comment is your opinion, unless you have polled a large cross-section of people of all races and economic levels from all over the world. Even here on Intercot it is just a small microcosm.

What I am pointing out, which Ian understands, is while we love Disney (we are moderators on a Disney board, for goodness sake), there are areas where they are lacking and they will not be improved unless it is brought to management's attention. It is my opinion that Disney needs to make their deluxe resorts equal to the definition of deluxe for other high end hotels in the industry. I have come to this opinion having stayed many deluxe hotels outside of WDW.

ch077833
10-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Christine's sister here to add her two cents.....

I love Disney and their themed hotels including Wilderness Lodge but with that said I travel and stay in hotels for a living so I hold things to a little bit different standard than a vacationer. So that tends to color my reviews of hotels, even in places I love like Disney.

My opinion is that while the personality and theming at Wilderness Lodge can't be beat it is not a deluxe hotel in the true industry sense. Be warned the following sentence will use the word small a lot! The towels are too small and rough, the rooms are small, the pillows are small and the bed linens need an update(which I know is in the works). Please don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my stay there immensely and the good far out weighed the bad but I am not one to turn a blind eye to a hotels faults, as it is my job to see them!!!

Peace Love and Mickey!!!!!

Cheryl

mttafire
10-26-2007, 12:16 AM
And that comment is your opinion, unless you have polled a large cross-section of people of all races and economic levels from all over the world. Even here on Intercot it is just a small microcosm.

What I am pointing out, which Ian understands, is while we love Disney (we are moderators on a Disney board, for goodness sake), there are areas where they are lacking and they will not be improved unless it is brought to management's attention. It is my opinion that Disney needs to make their deluxe resorts equal to the definition of deluxe for other high end hotels in the industry. I have come to this opinion having stayed many deluxe hotels outside of WDW.
Correct again..however, When folks like me state that WE have not had any bad experiences you and some others seem to have the opinion of.."Well, You're wrong and im right" "I know better".Or "You might have no complaints but I do". Your opinion is no more valid or important than mine or any others. YOU think Disney needs to improve its service..I dont. I think its absolutely fine. You are not anymore certified or having more credentials than i or anyone else. There is a growing trend here that is placing the complainers to a higher standard than those who dont complain all the time. Anyways, Thats all...Peace, Shawn
P.S. I think the towels are fine...But thats just my opinion.

Hammer
10-26-2007, 01:11 AM
I noticed you didn't bother to quote my sister, who is a qualified industry professional who rates hotels for her clients (large corporations) when she plans events for them. There is an industry standard for deluxe hotels, which my sister pointed out that Disney does not meet with the Wilderness Lodge, though we liked the hotel as a whole.

I think we need to stop the bantering about this as we are coming at this from two different viewpoints and we are not going to agree.

mttafire
10-26-2007, 01:24 AM
I noticed you didn't bother to quote my sister, who is a qualified industry professional who rates hotels for her clients (large corporations) when she plans events for them. There is an industry standard for deluxe hotels, which my sister pointed out that Disney does not meet with the Wilderness Lodge, though we liked the hotel as a whole.

I think we need to stop the bantering about this as we are coming at this from two different viewpoints and we are not going to agree.
Would you like me to quote her?:unsure:
In my opinion the W.L. IS a deluxe resort.
I guess im just not so picky to see it any other way.
IMHO, Its one of Disneys best. C.R. being no.1
It IS a great value....Its just too bad that im not qualified to say that.
You just proved my point concerning this whole topic. THANKS!:thumbsup:
Ok, Im done with this thread. Peace.

Jook
10-26-2007, 05:14 AM
I'm glad I found this messageboard (been reading it on and off for 6 months). I leave for Disney in 7 days for a stay at WL.
I believe I will be happy at WL, partially due to what I have learned from all you wonderful folks.

I, like many of us, have stayed in many hotels, and yes, you are likely to have expectation levels that vary from hotel to hotel. Courtyard by Marriot for example, they are all pretty much the same, you know what to expect.
If I thought I was going to have Ritz level service/amenities at the WL I'd be disappointed I'm sure.

I've stayed at AllStar, which is value, and pretty darn basic. What do I expect in WL over Allstar?
Theme, cooler pool, smaller scale 728 rooms vs 2700 rooms. I expect 2 restaurants and 1 cafeteria, vs just 1 cafeteria. Closer to MK, Boat option. Shorter walk to lobby. Marina.

CR and Poly are more money, and I'd expect more. GF I think/believe is where you need to be if really want Deluxe. If the GrandFloridian is lacking something as a Deluxe Resort.... well then that's the hotel they need to bring up to par. Disney has what 20,000 rooms on property? 10,000? If you want True Deluxe you should start at the top Price level which is easy to find is GF. Everything is relative.
I think I'm paying about $250 per night, it's not cheap, but it's not that expensive either.

I think I'll be happy at WL because I think it will be a good value, and I know what to expect for the most part.

Hammer
10-26-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm glad I found this message board (been reading it on and off for 6 months). I leave for Disney in 7 days for a stay at WL.
I believe I will be happy at WL, partially due to what I have learned from all you wonderful folks.

I, like many of us, have stayed in many hotels, and yes, you are likely to have expectation levels that vary from hotel to hotel. Courtyard by Marriott for example, they are all pretty much the same, you know what to expect.
If I thought I was going to have Ritz level service/amenities at the WL I'd be disappointed I'm sure.

I've stayed at AllStar, which is value, and pretty darn basic. What do I expect in WL over Allstar?
Theme, cooler pool, smaller scale 728 rooms vs 2700 rooms. I expect 2 restaurants and 1 cafeteria, vs just 1 cafeteria. Closer to MK, Boat option. Shorter walk to lobby. Marina.

CR and Poly are more money, and I'd expect more. GF I think/believe is where you need to be if really want Deluxe. If the GrandFloridian is lacking something as a Deluxe Resort.... well then that's the hotel they need to bring up to par. Disney has what 20,000 rooms on property? 10,000? If you want True Deluxe you should start at the top Price level which is easy to find is GF. Everything is relative.
I think I'm paying about $250 per night, it's not cheap, but it's not that expensive either.

I think I'll be happy at WL because I think it will be a good value, and I know what to expect for the most part.

Jook, thank you for bringing this thread back to how it was originally intended. You will have a great stay there. The staff here really is great. I also forgot to mention that you will never wait more than 30 seconds for an elevator. Wilderness Lodge has the fastest elevators of any hotel I have stayed at in any category! Other guests noticed this as well. One guy made me laugh as he saw me press the elevator button when he was about 200 feet away and he said he better run as the elevator would get there before he could walk to the bank of elevators :laughing: !

SBETigg
10-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Interesting report, thank you. I've never stayed at the WL but it always looks promising.

Jenemmy
10-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Ahhhhh -- I love the WL! I think why it is so appealing is that is just has so much character! There more than any other resort on property do I feel completely immersed in the theme. Not that others don't have great theming, but to me the Lodge is the best! I could sit in that gorgeous lobby all day.

You know, we all have various levels of expectation. For instance....my dh will get really nit picky about the Disney resorts, whereas you could plop me in a tent in the parking lot of the Ticket and Transportation Center and tell me to just use porta pottys and I would grin like an idiot and say "OK -- COOL!!!' What's so great about Disney is that they have so many levels of resorts with so many different feels and atmospheres to them that there is something to make almost everyone happy.

That being said -- I just hate a towel that doesn't wrap all the way around me!!! LOL. Maybe if all the guests went to complain to the manager wearing only those towels that didn't quite meet, the new linens would arrive faster!!! LOL

mttafire
10-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Jook, thank you for bringing this thread back to how it was originally intended. You will have a great stay there. The staff here really is great. I also forgot to mention that you will never wait more than 30 seconds for an elevator. Wilderness Lodge has the fastest elevators of any hotel I have stayed at in any category! Other guests noticed this as well. One guy made me laugh as he saw me press the elevator button when he was about 200 feet away and he said he better run as the elevator would get there before he could walk to the bank of elevators :laughing: !
Agreed 100%...:) P.S. Sorry for any rudeness. I was just trying to get my point across.

Mickey'sGirl
10-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks Christine. I am a traveller and have stayed at all kinds of hotels all over the world....I am not "certified", but I sure have an opinion!

We stayed at the WL last New Years, and it is the only Disney Resort that we will never return to. The small factors were overwhelming for us (we are not small people). I think for lack of another category, it has been included in the Deluxe category. I personally feel that the Coronado, WL and AK should be their own sub-category.....

The resort itself is very beautiful in my opinion, but we found it VERY dark, and we do not enjoy the food choices. That said, I talked about all the different resorts with a co-worker who will be travelling down in January, and recommended it for her family. Different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the post. :mickey:

Stickey
10-26-2007, 12:45 PM
We have stayed at the WL twice and it is one of our favorite resorts. Its theming and location make it a very good value.

Does any deluxe resort at WDW meet the standards of deluxe class business hotels? The answer is probably no. I am not seeking business style accommodations at WDW. The resort theming is my priority.

How does Disney determine which resorts are deluxes? Based on my observations, the key factors are: location, theming, TS options, interior corridors, larger rooms and beds, and more toiletries.

I have not found much difference in the service level between deluxes and moderates.
I rate the WL vastly higher than the BC. The food court at WL is too small and its options are limited. Overall, my favorite resort food court is POFQ. The $rate of a resort does not always measure the value, or quality of the resort. Every one has their own resort preferences.

Mrs.C
10-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks for your review!! Our next trip we will be deciding between WL and POFQ, Thanks for your honest comparisons.:mickey:

Jenemmy
10-26-2007, 03:02 PM
. I personally feel that the Coronado, WL and AK should be their own sub-category.....

Hi -- I'm curious about this. I have never stayed at a Moderate (will be in January), but do you personally rate Coronado a bit higher than the other mods?? Is there a reason. I am only curious because I was considering switching to CS from POFQ. Sorry to veer off topic here.....

Hammer
10-28-2007, 12:38 AM
Took a couple of pictures of our towel animals:
dog (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2199666050102424855cQlKgt?vhost=family), angel (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2672498880102424855SDFnKp?vhost=family) and gator (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2323402670102424855YShymO?vhost=family)

garymacd
10-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks for your review!! Our next trip we will be deciding between WL and POFQ, Thanks for your honest comparisons.:mickey:

Those two resorts are our personal favourites. We always have difficulty choosing between the two. Well, I do. My beloved wife says the choice is simple: WL, of course.

teambricker04
10-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the review!

We leave in a week for FW cabins! Hooray!! After we get back... I am planning our next trip! My DH and I have been bantering back and forth about where to stay. We have been talking for a while about deluxe resorts (we almost always stay at AS and LOVE the family suites) and debating on where to stay. I am marking this down! :)

DisneyDudet
10-28-2007, 10:03 PM
I love the WL, but had qualms with it as well.

My major one was the noise level. We were on the floor just below concierge. It had an amazing view! Just amazing. Wishes from my bed at a $109/nt with AP rate? UNBEATABLE!

Anyway, at all hours of the day and night, there were sounds coming from above, that sounded much like drills or other electric tools. We called every night and complained, and they even sent CM's up there to find out what was going on (they were redoing that floor, per intercot :) ) No one could hear the noises!!! We even went up the stairs to the concierge level (who knew???) and tried to find it for ourselves, and nothing. To this day we do not know what that noise was. You couldn't hear it in the hall or on the balcony. Strange!

Anyway, that was the only problem.

I have noticed that towels at a lot of hotels aren't big at all (and I'm no where near a big girl!), and aren't exactly soft. While I do think that this is the case at Disney (I would assume the same towels were at AKL.. come to think.. yes...) resorts, I think Deluxe titled hotels should have the basic amenities to be "deluxed". Now, they may assume that deluxe means other amenities, and to keep central laundry simple, most resorts use the same towels and sheets. I don't know. But, come to think of it, I would think that Deluxe should mean a little step up.

I do believe that time of year, and even certain days can affect people's experience at a resort. While some people have the best mousekeeper ever, others may get a new mousekeeper, who misses something. It happens. To say that every experience is inclusive of every experience is wrong, and I do not believe that was ever insinuated in this post by anyone.

Those who do not get a satisfactory stay are no more entitled than those who had a great stay. While there may be more posts about those having an unsatisfactory stay, I do believe that when things go wrong, you hear about it more, than when things go right. How many times have you heard, "Don't go to that restaurant/store! They have horrible service and it is filthy!" I hear that more than, "That restaurant/store is so clean and nice, you need to go there!" I believe Disney is not exempt. I do agree with those who say that if service or environment is not up to Disney par, it should be brought to the attention, so it can be fixed.

If you have never had an issue at a Disney resort, that is great! I mean, I've been enough to have my fare share of problems, if not, it would be bound to happen. Test fate enough, and it will come to get you! I wish I never had a problem, and, really, I think that weird noise in WL is probably the worst of it all! So, really, I am jealous that you've never had problems!

All in all, I would love to stay at WL, but in the exact room we were in! I would think by that time, they would have figured out the noise!

ElenitaB
10-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Does any deluxe resort at WDW meet the standards of deluxe class business hotels? The answer is probably no. I am not seeking business style accommodations at WDW. The resort theming is my priority.
As a matter of fact Disney markets the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, the Contemporary, and the Boardwalk (on a smaller scale) and their convention centers to its corporate clients for meetings. These meetings are a significant and alternative source of revenue for WDW (let me tell you, it was hard being at WDW and not setting foot in any of the parks). My firm often holds smaller meetings at one or another of these resorts.

Hi -- I'm curious about this. I have never stayed at a Moderate (will be in January), but do you personally rate Coronado a bit higher than the other mods?? Is there a reason. I am only curious because I was considering switching to CS from POFQ. Sorry to veer off topic here.....
CS has a convention center that is marketed for non-executive meetings. For example, two of the four Big Four accounting firms have held their annual intern events there.

Personally, POFQ is our favorite moderate because it's the smallest!

ElenitaB
10-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Took a couple of pictures of our towel animals:
dog (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2199666050102424855cQlKgt?vhost=family), angel (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2672498880102424855SDFnKp?vhost=family) and gator (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2323402670102424855YShymO?vhost=family)
Cute towel animals! At least those towels are good for something! ;) (We had issues at OKW with the towels as well... I'm seriously thinking of packing towels from home next time.)

Hammer
10-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Ellen's post made me think of something funny from our trip. As some of the moderators (including Ellen) and some of the 10th Anniversary attendees know, my sister Cheryl is a Senior Account Manager for a Corporate event planning firm, which has many Fortune 500 clients that hire them to plan their incentive program events throughout the year (things like President's Club, Million Dollar Sales Club, etc.). So, like Ellen, she plans events at many high end hotels as Cheryl stated earlier in this thread.

Anyway, we were walking back to the Beach Club after going to have an after dinner drink at the Bellevue Room. Well, there is a big wooden placard sign for an event which obviously had finished was at the path to the Beach Club Lobby. On instinct, Cheryl goes to try and move the sign :laughing:. She caught herself, though, and kept repeating "I'm on vacation, this is not my event"!

Spaceship Tigger
10-29-2007, 07:28 AM
After reading this thread I still can't figure out what the "industry experts" consider a deluxe hotel. Is it room size? Is it ameneties? What is it that the WL doesn't have that the others that you would consider deluxe do have? Room size I will give you - they are a little small, which is the principal reason (along with location) that WL and AKL are priced lower than the other deluxes. I believe the WDW have all pretty much had the same linens and towels until the recent upgrades.

We just stayed at the Poly in September. While we loved the place overall and loved the large room sizes, we also noted the fact that the bathroom had one sink, the showerhead was meant for no one over about 5'6", there's no playground, hot tub, or fitness center, and the bell services were terrible. So what would possibly make the Poly more deluxe than the WL or AKL? Room size and location, I guess, and location can't come into play when discussing industry deluxe requirements.

I guess I can't make a good deluxe comparison however - the only other non-WDW deluxe hotel that I've stayed at recently is the Opryland Hotel, and for $300+ per night the rooms and service are not as nice as what I get at the WL.

Hammer
10-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Mike, it is really a combination of all those things which give a hotel the status of "deluxe". Some do it better than others, as you found at the Opryland Hotel. I see Disney starting to truly separate the hotels in the deluxe category in an attempt to offset the Four Seasons being built on property. Something like private dining is an example of this trend.

Tink1
10-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Actually, when WL was built it was to be the first of a new category of hotels at WDW. It would have been a step between the moderates and the Deluxe resorts. Thisis why it has rooms similar in size to moderates, but indoor hallways and heavier themed.

Popularity grew so fast and so furious, they just lumped it into the deluxe category.

The categories were going to be value, mod, deluxe and premium. Or value, mod, premium and deluxe (I forget the order of the last 2)

Next trip to the attic, I will see if I can locate the 1994 opening information for the resort.

Nanci

Goofster
10-29-2007, 11:36 AM

So what is it exactly that you would like Disney to do in order "make their deluxe resorts equal to the definition of deluxe"? (Besides bigger towels and softer sheets?).

Is your criticism limited exclusively to WL or to all Disney "deluxes" in general?

Hammer
10-29-2007, 11:46 AM
So what is it exactly that you would like Disney to do in order "make their deluxe resorts equal to the definition of deluxe"? (Besides bigger towels and softer sheets?).

Is your criticism limited exclusively to WL or to all Disney "deluxes" in general?

This is just a review of Wilderness Lodge. After reading Nanci's post, the Wilderness Lodge was never designed to be a "deluxe" in the sense of the other Deluxe resorts. I am just saying that some people's definition of "deluxe" would not include the Wilderness Lodge, especially if they are expecting like other Deluxe hotels outside of Disney, like the Fairmount hotel chain.

There isn't really much more they can do, as the room size can't really be changed at this point. The towels and sheets are being upgraded. I wouldn't mind if they put in larger pillows, much like the ones at the Swan and Dolphin.

Goofster
10-29-2007, 12:27 PM
This is just a review of Wilderness Lodge. After reading Nanci's post, the Wilderness Lodge was never designed to be a "deluxe" in the sense of the other Deluxe resorts. I am just saying that some people's definition of "deluxe" would not include the Wilderness Lodge, especially if they are expecting like other Deluxe hotels outside of Disney, like the Fairmount hotel chain.

There isn't really much more they can do, as the room size can't really be changed at this point. The towels and sheets are being upgraded. I wouldn't mind if they put in larger pillows, much like the ones at the Swan and Dolphin.

Yes, but you opined that none of Disney's deluxe resorts fit the bill of a true deluxe (when compared to those found outside of WDW). How are the others (i.e. Poly, GF) lacking in this regard?

Princess'Mom
10-29-2007, 12:39 PM
As my Momma used to say, "Different Strokes for different Folks." The Wilderness Lodge is a good fit for me and my family, and that's all that matters. I have traveled way too much in my lifetime and really don't like staying in any type of hotel. I just love the feeling of the atmosphere of the Lodge while we are there. Time seems to slow down and that's a good thing - vacation time seems to last a little bit longer than regular time! :cloud9:

Tigger&Stitch
11-01-2007, 08:16 PM
All this talk of WL makes me want to go NOW! =) I can't believe we have to wait almost a year to be back there.

As for us, well, we never noticed the small stuff. Our room was awesome, don't remember the towels, and loved the food. Loved the resort!

I should mention we are both frequent worldwide travellers, and are used to staying in higher-class hotels.

The point is, we go to Disney for the entire experience, and out of the whole trip - even the whole day - a towel is used for maybe 10 minutes per day?

Pick what is important to you and choose your resort accordingly. For us, we will always stay at WL. :thumbsup: