PDA

View Full Version : Dh keeps asking, "When are we going back?"

pwdebbie
10-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Dh and I made our first trip ever to Disney a few weeks ago. Dh is 54, I am 52, and we were celebrating our 30th anniversary six months late as well as my 52nd birthday.

When I first half-seriously mentioned it to dh in January and he said yes, I was shocked. After years of saying, "You really aren't serious, are you?" he finally said YES! Then I gave him the $$$ and he still said yes. So I planned a trip for us leaving after church on Sunday (dh is a pastor) and arriving back home Saturday night. A couple weeks later he informed me that he'd talked to the elders of the church and was taking a Sunday off (something he has never done) so that we could drive down (instead of fly) and stay a little longer.

Thus began our planning our trip to be in Disney World from Oct. 2 through 10, 2007. I contacted Magical Journeys after discovering Intercot and we began making our plans. We started with Elaine but when she left the agency we were switched to TerriSue. Hats off to TerriSue for all she did for us.

We left here Sunday, Sept. 30 to begin our drive to FL. I planned for three days on the road but dh thought we could make the trip in two. We did. We arrived at POFQ late in the afternoon of Monday, Oct. 1. We decided to see if they could get us in a day early and much to our pleasure, they did have a room available. We had to switch rooms the next morning, but everything worked out great for us. POFQ is a wonderful resort. It was absolutely perfect for us.

We arrived to "unusually rainy" weather and our entire stay was "unusually warm" (according to the CMs). However, the rain did not slow us down. The heat was a little much for us. Whew, I can't imagine being there in the middle of summer!

I'm not going to give a day-by-day accounting of our time there. We did spend time in all four parks. Disney Studios was probably our least favorite. The other three we liked each in their own way.

MK was whimsical fun for us. We went there for the first time on my birthday, 10/5. The park was not crowded at all and we went right into most attractions. We were able to go back two more times while were there and saw Wishes twice.

Epcot was extremely interesting -- and crowded and hot. We spent a lot of time in Epcot and never did get to see everything. I thought we would take advantage of the Food and Wine Festival booths, but we ended up passing them by. We did Soarin' the first time we were there -- I liked it but dh did not handle it so well. He has equilibrium / balance problems and even being in the third row and having feet to focus on in front of him didn't help much. He was pretty shaky and pale for quite a while afterward. Turtle Talk with Crush is great. We went to that twice. I wish I had spent more time meandering each country. I think I would have liked to have brought back our gifts for the grandkids from there instead of Disney stuff from Disney stores, in retrospect.

Animal Kingdom was very interesting. We didn't get to spend enough time there. To be honest, every time we went there we must have picked the hottest and most crowded days (in spite of following that guide that tells you the best days to visit a particular park). The Kilamanjaro Safari was wonderful, we did that twice. The walking trails were very relaxing and the CMs were a wonderful source of information.

Our favorite meal while we were there was at Le Cellier. We tried to get back in twice as a walk-ins but weren't able to. We also enjoyed our meals at Cap'n Jacks, Cape May Cafe, Biergarten, Les Chefs de France, and Whispering Canyon. Our two most disappointing meals were Coral Reef (where I chose to go for my birthday dinner) and Concourse restaurant. NONE of our meals were terrible, by any means, but the last two could have been better in terms of CMs. At Coral Reef we were told by our server that because we were on the DDP we had to order off a more limited menu and service was way too slow. At the Concourse, we were told that since we were not staying at the Contemporary and since we were on the DDP, we were lowest priority for seating.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and dh really is serious when he asks me when we are going back. In fact, one of the first things he did when he got home was talk to his friend whose wife wants to go and told him get moving and take his wife to Disney. We are talking about maybe going again sometime between Jan. and March in 2009, hopefully there will be fewer crowds (I was really surprised at how crowded the parks were and can't even begin to imagine what it must be like during the busier seasons) and cooler weather.

Ok, so there's this first-timer's trip report. I hope I didn't bore you!

Deb

ChipnDaleGal
10-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Deb - that was far from boring! One of my favorite things to read about in a trip report is when a person falls in love with WDW. It always takes me back to how that felt for me. Gives me the warm fuzzies. So thank you for bringing that memory up for me today. I am so glad that you and your husband both had such a good time. A sure sign that you have "Disneyitus" is when you are already planning Trip # 2 when you haven't really recovered from Trip # 1 yet. I think you both caught the disease! Thank you for sharing your trip highlights, and happy planning for that 2009 trip! :mickey:

vicster
10-24-2007, 02:51 PM
We go every year and just returned from our last trip September 21st. My husband's been asking every day when we're going back. Our kids are grown so now we get to go with no kids which is even more fun!

Marker
10-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Not boring at all, in fact quite the contrary.

As much as I enjoy trip reports, the reports of first timers are something special. They reflect something that can only happen once in a person's life, and that most of us here will never experience again.....seeing WDW for the first time.

Taja
10-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Glad you had a magical holiday and are considering a return visit!

Sorry to hear you had seating issues at Concourse Steakhouse. It's one of my favourite restaurants (behind Yachtsman Steakhouse). We missed our ADR time due to luggage and check-in issues (bags never made it to the claim area and WDW computers were down when we were checking in), and they accommodated us later in the evening--even worked us in about 30 minutes early from the second ADR time. And we were staying at PC on free DDP!

AbeeNormal
10-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Deb....... You didn't bore me one bit. :mickey:

I love hearing other Intercotee's experiences, for me it's like going there again and again. :dance:

I thank you for taking me on your trip at least in memories and sometimes those are just as good if not better.

Sounds like you two are going to become regulars.

Can't wait to hear all about your next trip.

DisneyorBust
10-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Enjoyed the report!:thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing your story with us.

LibertyTreeGal
10-24-2007, 04:07 PM
HA! My DH and FIL were the same way. MIL, kids and I had to literally drag them.....

Guess who insisted on going again and were already scoping out other resorts before we left??

amorillo
10-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Sounds like you had a great first trip! My DH was the same way... he never got to go as a child, while having to listen to his cousins tell him how great it was... he told himself it wasn't that big of a deal... and didn't really care if he ever got there!

Yes, that all changed on our first trip! Now he's just as into planning our yearly trip as I am! We even took a solo trip for his b-day, during star wars weekends! :mickey:

Mickey will do that to you!!! :D

Thanks for sharing with us!

BOOKWDW
10-24-2007, 08:44 PM
A great report. My husband and I went to WDW for the lst time at 45 and we loved it!! We have been 3 times and I can't wait to go again soon!!!

faline
10-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Sounds like a lovely first trip to Disney World!

It's odd that they told you you'd be low priority for seating because you weren't staying at the Contemporary! I've been to the Concourse restaurant numerous times and have never been told that!

pwdebbie
10-25-2007, 09:05 PM
I forgot to tell you that while dining at Le Cellier dh was given a pin with Tinkerbelle on it. The hostess gave it to him after she saw him pick up some trash the server had dropped while bussing a table. She said it was a special pin and that it couldn't be bought. It came with a second pin that he was to give to someone else he caught doing something nice. A few days later we gave the second pin to a woman we heard ask a young couple if they'd like her to take their picture. They refused, but she was so sweet that we gave her the second pin.

Now, since we know nothing about Disney pins, what is the name of this one?

Deb

TikiGoddess
10-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Quote from my favorite pin site:

Beginning in October 2006, Disney Cast Members and Guests at DisneylandŽ Resort and Walt Disney WorldŽ Resort will have a new way to create magical memories for others in the place Where Dreams Come True. Pixie Dust Pin Packs feature two Tinker Bell pins. These pins are presented spontaneously by Cast Members to Guests who are observed performing random acts of magic for others at Disney Parks.

Once awarded a Pixie Dust Pin Pack, Guests are invited to keep one pin and share the second pin with another Guest they see creating magic.

This pin features Tinker Bell with a navy-colored background. The words Where dreams come true are on the pin and there is glitter and stars in the background and Tinker Bell is holding her wand.

Sounds like you had a great time, and that you'll be enjoying the magic again! I too love reading reports of people discovering the magic!

TikiG

youngOx96
10-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Being a DH that experienced something akin to your DH - a la being bit by the Disney bug - I completely understand. Yes, in my case it's my DW's fault too.

It's funny that you mentioned your experience at Coral Reef. My DW and I had a similar experience on our first - and probably last - visit to Coral Reef. Our CM/Server was the source of our less than magical experience as well.

Anyway, I really enjoyed your report. I especially liked hearing of your DH's pin experience.:mickey:

pwdebbie
10-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Thank you for the info -- that is exactly the pin dh was given. Now we know! It's a Tinker Bell pin. Didn't know if it was called that or maybe a Pixie Dust pin or something similar.

Deb

Quote from my favorite pin site:

Beginning in October 2006, Disney Cast Members and Guests at DisneylandŽ Resort and Walt Disney WorldŽ Resort will have a new way to create magical memories for others in the place Where Dreams Come True. Pixie Dust Pin Packs feature two Tinker Bell pins. These pins are presented spontaneously by Cast Members to Guests who are observed performing random acts of magic for others at Disney Parks.

Once awarded a Pixie Dust Pin Pack, Guests are invited to keep one pin and share the second pin with another Guest they see creating magic.

This pin features Tinker Bell with a navy-colored background. The words Where dreams come true are on the pin and there is glitter and stars in the background and Tinker Bell is holding her wand.

Sounds like you had a great time, and that you'll be enjoying the magic again! I too love reading reports of people discovering the magic!

TikiG