PDA

View Full Version : Full Marathon and MK viewing

ToraTory
10-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Greetings,

Hubby will be running the full marathon this time (twice done the half). I would like to position myself in a few places to cheer him on. In particular, I would like to time it so I can see him run down main street at MK. Hubby said he has seen folks lined up on each of the street to cheer runners on as they pass. Does anyone know how early they start letting folks in MK to watch the racers? thanks --tory

Main Street Jim
10-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Since they run through the park before the park opens, and they have to be clear of the park before we open, I don't believe that spectators are allowed into the park before official opening time. The people lined up on the street were probably Cast Members at work that day.

We park a train at Frontierland crossing for a photo op ;)

SAHDad
10-24-2007, 01:20 PM
This too some work to find, but I managed to track down an electronic copy of the 2007 Race Information Guide. (Yeah, it's the official one, but I could not find my hard copy of the 2006 guide, when I did the half.) Here's the short version of the info for the marathon:

Marathon
If you plan to watch the start of the marathon, you must arrive at EPCOT by 5 am on Sunday. The viewing area for the start is limited. To see the first finishers for the marathon, you should arrive at EPCOT between 7:15 and 8; however, please be prepared for delays, as the Auto Plaza will not open until the Auto Plaze entry road is cleared of runners and race-related items.

EPCOT Center Drive - start
5:55 am Wheelchair
6:00 am Runner

6:20 am - 7:05 am - 4 miles
Remain in the same location as the start viewing area. All Marathon participants will pass this location

TTC
6:50 - 8:35 am - 9 miles
Accessible only by Monorail

Magic Kingdom/Main Street USA
6:55 - 8:50 - 10 miles
Accessible only by Monorail

Floridian Way
7:10 - 9:25 - 12.7-13 miles
Accessible by Monorail

Animal Kingdom
7:25 - 10:40 - 16.5 - 17.3 miles
Accessible by car

(From this point on, it notes that a theme park admission will be required to view any portion in an actual park)

Disney Studios
8:05 - 12:20 - 23-23.5 miles
Accessible by car

EPCOT
8:15 - 1:00 - 25 - 25.9 miles
Accessible by Monorail or car

Marathon Finish - Imagine Parking Lot at EPCOT
8:20 - 1:00
Accessible by monorail, event bus or car

Viewing areas at resort hotels
6:45 - 8:40 Contemporary (we had a good, though distant view, while eating at Chefg Mickey's in 2006)
7:05 - 9:10 - Grand FLoridian
7:08 - 9:20 Polynesian
8:10 - 12:40 - Yacht and Beach Club

Addendum - if you are a runner, and you want your family to see you, you need to be wearing something highly visible or outlandish. If you are a spectator, and you want to be seen by your runner, have a huge & outlandish sign, cowbells, etc. It's hard to find a single runner or a small crowd of spectators in the sea of humanity, especially as you pass each other. It does help to know your pace, and be able to say "Main Street is 10 miles. I should be there about 7:20 or 7:30, but start looking for me at 7:15, and don't quit until you see me, or 8:00, whichever comes first."

Melanie
10-24-2007, 06:47 PM
To be honest, I can't recall if spectators are allowed in MK that early. What I did the first year my husband ran was stand at the end of the walkway from Shades of Green over to the Poly (about halfway through the race), then I went into Epcot to see him towards the end.

Since the kids were with me last time, we just slept in a little and got to MGM as they were coming through there, then quickly went to the finish at Epcot.

Be sure to sign up for the chip updates you can get via cell phone to keep up with your husband's progress. That helped a lot to know when to really start looking.

SAHDad
10-25-2007, 12:08 AM
There are spectators in the MK that early, or at least there are for the half-marathon. I am pretty sure that the DisneyRunning site has pics of spectators in the wee hours of marathon morning, in the Magic Kingdom.

The official booklet should be coming soon; so the official information on when spectators can enter each park in 2008 should be known soon enough.