PDA

View Full Version : AP Holders Ineligible for DP?

ldn324
10-23-2007, 09:19 AM
We will be leaving just over a month for our annual trip. We are DVC members and AP holders. Here's our arrangement: Staying at OKW first part of trip using DVC points. Staying at AKL second part of trip, non-DVC points - just paying out of pocket.

We were planning to use the DP this year since we won't use it after the changes in 08. DH called to make ADRs and when he mentioned the DP, the CM said we could have it during our OKW stay but if we wanted it for the AKL stay we would have to purchase park tickets. He explained to her that we are AP holders and she said that didn't matter - since we were not using the DVC membership for that portion of the trip that we would not be eligible for the DP unless we paid extra for tickets. :confused:

Now of course we aren't going to do that since we have APs. We had just resigned ourselves to the fact that we would only have the DP for 5 days. But before I change all of our plans I just wanted to be sure that was true. We did get a discount rate on AKL - maybe that's why we aren't eligible?? I'm thinking maybe we are not eligible, but that the CM just didn't explain it properly (or DH didn't understand :blush:) Either way it's OK. I just want to know that we were told the right thing.

faline
10-23-2007, 09:26 AM
The dining plan is only available to those who book a pacakge and packages include tickets. Many annual pass holders have purchased a one day ticket with their package in order to access the dining plan (particularly when it was offered for free). You'd need to purchase a 1-day ticket for each person in your party. You aren't required to use the tickets. You can hold them for a later date.

JPL
10-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Also the AP discount on rooms can not be applied when using the DDP you have to pay full price for your room. I f a room discount is available you might be better off getting the DDE card which gives you discounted dining and it will cast you less than a 1 day tickets.

Here we go again...
10-23-2007, 09:37 AM
DVC members are a little different.

You can get the dining plan when staying at a DVC resort without having to purchase any kind of tickets. All you do is add it to your reservation at least 1 week before you arrive. You can not add it once you get there.

For the portion of your trip where you are staying at a resort and paying out of pocket, you would have to purchase a 1 day ticket to get the DDP.

You can keep that ticket until your AP expires and apply the price of the ticket to your new AP. You have to buy it for the DDP, but you do not have to use it.

ldn324
10-23-2007, 10:09 AM
DVC members are a little different.

You can get the dining plan when staying at a DVC resort without having to purchase any kind of tickets. All you do is add it to your reservation at least 1 week before you arrive. You can not add it once you get there.

We did the DP with DVC last year and I had forgotten that we need to add the DP before we get there - thanks for that reminder!

I doubt we will purchase a ticket since we have the APs and we aren't interested in the DDE. We will probably do more offsite eating in the second half of our trip which is fine with us because we have some favorites offsite as well.

Thanks for the clarifications! Just wanted to be sure I understood correctly.

floridamom
10-23-2007, 11:04 AM
For the portion of your trip where you are staying at a resort and paying out of pocket, you would have to purchase a 1 day ticket to get the DDP.

You can keep that ticket until your AP expires and apply the price of the ticket to your new AP. You have to buy it for the DDP, but you do not have to use it.

This would be true if you had NOT gotten the AP room rate for for the OOP part of your stay. Unfortunately, you cannot combine a room-only discount with the DDP. You probably would not want to forsake the discount off rack rate in order to purchase the dining plan. (The only time it MAY make sense to do this is during the free dining promotions).

Sounds like you're leaning towards other dining options for the second portion of your trip anyway. Have a wonderful time!