PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy,big warning from CM about Contemporary construction

mouseketeer mom
10-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi everyone.
Going to the CR next month for our first stay before moving to the Poly. I called to check on our ressie and was read this whole big list of things to expect at the CR. Starting with the fact its extremely dusty and can be noisy! Then she moved on to the tennis courts, lack of laundry facilities right now, etc... GULP. Did I make a mistake?? And I'm wondering about the pool too...Is it really noisy and uncomfortable right now with all the construction??? Should I request a higher floor??? Yikes.

Here we go again...
10-23-2007, 09:28 AM
I was staying there in March when they were tearing down the buildings. I did not have a tower toom, so I was not real close, but I never noticed noise or dust. We would go to the top of the tower daily to see the progress.

We never noticed anything out by the pool at all. I can't imagine them building would be louder than tearing down everything.

Are you in a tower room? If so, ask for a room on the opposite end of the building and you will be fine.

KylesMom
10-23-2007, 02:53 PM
I'll be honest with you - your post shocked me. While I can understand that Disney would be ensuring their guests knew that the tennis courts were out of commission (have been for quite some time) and that the quick-serve restaurant has been temporarily relocated, it sounds like the CM on the phone was trying to scare you! Although there haven't been a lot of posts lately from the CR, no one has returned ranting that the hotel was uninhabitable - quite the opposite, actually. And I'm sure that your room has not been discounted due to the construction, right? When that happens, then I'd be worried. However, CR is too important of a hotel to let it go to the dogs while the addition takes place.

We stayed at CR while the entire South Wing was being refurbed - we were one of the only families actually staying in the wing during the refurb in early June that year - and we never heard a peep. Although it wasn't the addition of a whole new building, Disney was very careful to hide the dust, dirt and workers behind the scenes. The CR is very convenient to the MK, and we really, really enjoyed staying there. Hopefully you'll receive more feedback on the condition of the hotel soon. :mickey:

TammiMcMan
10-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Considering the CM's on the phone may not even be in Florida at all, they aren't always the most reliable for accurate information. The only comments I've heard from recent guests is that the construction is a bit of an eyesore, but no reports of loud noise or that they had any dust problems. I wouldn't worry about it.

wendy*darling
10-23-2007, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't worry about it either. Especially since this is only for one night!

I am sure they have to warn you of potential areas that are not "up to par."
Think of the guest who knows absolutely nothing about the CR and the construction. If they were to arrive for a vacation in a Deluxe Resort and find restaurants under construction, no tennis courts (which are still listed in the guide books), no laundry, etc. they would be pretty upset. This warning allows them to change their minds before arrival.
I think they are just covering the bases here.
We on INTERCOT are much more knowledgeable than the average WDW guest- dontcha think? ;)

Followthatmouse
10-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Would I be right to assume that the South Wing's laundry facilities are still up and running?

We are CR veterans, though It has been several years since our last visit. In past trips, the North Garden Wing housed our laundry of choice.

Princess Maggie
10-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Just came back Saturday from the CR. I would have to say however this is the first year that I really had some complaints. First our room was quite dirty after check-in, obviously not a construction issue. However we stayed in the tower on the 10th floor, and we did hear the workers in the morning. Not to loud where you couldn't sleep, but you did hear it. Also as mentioned, the Tempo Grab 'n Go was not the best. I have already written a letter and sent it in. I hated complaining, but between the construction, pool issues, and dirty rooms, I felt I needed too. ......Also we were never informed about the construction and the change in counter service issues...

mouseketeer mom
10-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Just came back Saturday from the CR. I would have to say however this is the first year that I really had some complaints. First our room was quite dirty after check-in, obviously not a construction issue. However we stayed in the tower on the 10th floor, and we did hear the workers in the morning. Not to loud where you couldn't sleep, but you did hear it. Also as mentioned, the Tempo Grab 'n Go was not the best. I have already written a letter and sent it in. I hated complaining, but between the construction, pool issues, and dirty rooms, I felt I needed too. ......Also we were never informed about the construction and the change in counter service issues...

What are the pool issues????? I need to know! Are you looking at construction while in the pool??

wendy*darling
10-24-2007, 06:26 AM
Are you looking at construction while in the pool??
I would assume so. The pool is right there between the North and South Garden Wings. And now that there is no North Wing, I can't imagine that they have constructed a wall large enough to hide cranes, etc. You have to be able to see construction from just about anywhere on the Bay Lake side of the property.
Plus, you have the renovations going on in the 4th floor concourse.
It's a busy place right now.
But if you've gotten a Tower room on the MK side- I would still go for it and enjoy the view and the beautifully renovated rooms. :thumbsup:

Tippy
10-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Hi - we are going at the end of Apirl. Does anyone know when the construction is due to end or what stage they are expected to be in by that time? Thanks

awaggett
10-25-2007, 12:40 PM
We stayed there in late September and had no problems. You could see some construction from the pool--but it was mostly just cranes. The tempo grab and go was fine for what we needed--bagels, sodas, water. We didn't hear much noise, and if we did, it didn't wake us up. We loved staying there and definitely plan on staying there again in the future.