PDA

View Full Version : Whispering Canyon Cafe.........

AbeeNormal
10-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Please tell me your good and not so good experiences with food, service, etc.....:mickey:

Also I would love to hear the funniest thing you experienced or saw here. :haha::funny::rotfl:

I've heard this place can be wacky and want to be somewhat prepared for what to expect.
:eyes::jaw::eek:

pennsy22
10-23-2007, 02:53 AM
We just went there last Saturday to celebrate my DS's B-day:party: and mine:party:. I think that it's kind of hard to explain. There must of been about 8 other people celebrating b-days that night and every time they did something different. For my son and me they had us get up in front of everybody and to the Hokey-Pokey, :nudge:luckily they made everyone in the restaurant get up and do it too. :dance:They have the kids ride around the restaurant on wooden horses.:horse: Overall the restaurant is a lot of fun and the food is really good too.:eat:

McGoofy
10-23-2007, 05:53 AM
I love the atmosphere at WCC! You really do get a lot for your money. I have only been there for breakfast. It's much cheaper than a character meal, but you can get an all-you-can-eat skillet and lots of entertainment. I don't know how the servers don't lose their voices after yelling like they do every day! It is so much fun. Some things I remember...my DS asked for a spoon...the server brought out this HUGE wooden spoon (like the kind from the 70's that you would hang on the wall), DS asked for a blue crayon...the server yelled out that our table needed a blue crayon and had all the kids bring him a blue crayon; one server came out yelling at another guest, "MR. (fill in the name) YOUR CREDIT CARD # (fill in a bunch of numbers) HAS DECLINED!; DS got to participate in a pony race; we all did the hokey pokey; etc... Oh, and back before they changed the napkins to paper napkins, they used to use bandanas for the napkins. Our server tied up a whole bunch of napkins and straws and somehow created a "hat" that looked like Goofy ears and made my DH wear it. She let him keep it to take home with us. All the hoopla is fun. However, the food is great too. The bacon is that thick apple smoked bacon, which I haven't seen on other breakfast buffets. You also get eggs, sausage, pinecone shaped waffles, and a bunch of other things. I will be at WDW next week, and we have another reservation to eat there during this trip. Love it!

princessM0m
10-23-2007, 10:20 AM
My family and I love this place. The wackiest thing I ever saw was a server making a father, who was celebrating his birthday, ride around the entire restaurant on a wooden horse singing "Happy birthday to me." The poor guy escaped somehow, I mean, got lost, and disappeared somewhere in the back. When I went back for my b-day trip I kept my mouth shut about it being my b-day.

RobWreck
10-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Also I would love to hear the funniest thing you experienced or saw here. :haha::funny::rotfl:

The funniest thing? Ok, it was rather situational, but here goes...

My wife and I got married down at WDW and after our ceremony that morning, but before the reception that evening, we had a 'wedding photo shoot' at the Wilderness Lodge. After that wrapped up, there we were, the 8 of us (my new wife, best man, maid of honor, ushers and bridesmaids) and we decided, 'Hey, dinner's still a few hours away, let's grab some food'. So, we headed over to The Whispering Canyon...
I'd imagine it's not too often that the playful staff at the Whispering Canyon get a full bridal party of fun people to play with. So, while leaving out the details of the 'EXTRA EXTRA THICK milkshake' one of my ushers ordered (which came out as 3 scoops of ice cream with a straw stuck in it ;) )the grand finale was when our waitress re-enacted our wedding with my best man standing in for me and another waiter playing the role of the minister. It got even better when she drafted my ushers to play 'her bridesmaids', complete with the bouquet toss (there goes that table setting... )
So overall, with the right guests and waitstaff, the sky's the limit at the Whispering Canyon Cafe...
Rob

#1donaldfan
10-23-2007, 12:56 PM
For us it was just an ok place to eat. The food was good. We found out too late that we should make sure our server was "ready to play the part"....ours was pretty much a dud !! Our kids were looking forward to a wild time, but they got nothing...anyway.......there was a lot of interaction at other tables and it was seemingly very fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drhama
10-23-2007, 07:02 PM
I love this place. Something different every time. On our first trip the 3 if us all got some kind of hat made from napkins, straws and my bonnet was made from a big coffee filter. On this last trip a couple celebrating their anniversary got to ride the horses around the restaurant while having the whole place sing you are my sunshine. Too fun.

AbeeNormal
10-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the great info.

I'm really excited - this sounds so fun.

Hey Robwreck Congrats!!!:bride::groom:

Sorry about your experience #1 Donald Fan come with us maybe we'll have better luck on a good CM. :donald:

Thanks Darhma I will dawn (sp?) my coffee filter for the rest of the day.:pilgram2:

Thanks for explaining Pennsy22 it really sounds fun. :joy:

McGoofy did you get to keep the spoon?:chef:

Princessmom I hope I don't get picked to ride around the restaurant I don't know how to horseback ride. :horse:

You were all Great thank you - thank you - thank you:heart:

Mickeydream
10-23-2007, 09:14 PM
We have a dinner ADR on Nov 27th at WCC. It will be our first time there. Can't wait...it sounds like a great time! Hope we get a fun server. :party:

princessimagineer
10-23-2007, 09:15 PM
ask for ketchup.... i dare you.....

McGoofy
10-23-2007, 10:08 PM
McGoofy did you get to keep the spoon?:chef:

:

No, but I've seen one just like it on episodes of "Everybody Loves Raymond" in Marie's 1970's kitchen!:mickey: That spoon had to be about 3 feet tall!

rcaide
10-23-2007, 10:42 PM
My DH was chosen to be in the "Goofy Look-alike-contest." They pulled about 5 guys up there and had them make fools of themselves. My DH didn't win but my DS and I had a great time laughing at him. :D

judoma
10-23-2007, 11:09 PM
:secret:I am so looking forward to eating here in a few days. My family has no idea!:secret:

AbeeNormal
10-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Awww.. That would have been an awesome souvineer (sp?). Next time McGoophy Keep the Spoon:thumbsup:

Mickeydream - Please let us know how it was - I know you'll get a great server.... Have a great time ;)

PrincessImagineer - Ketchup it is ... promise:blush:

Rcaide - You must've laughed til you cried:funny:

Judoma.... Shhh I won't tell as long as you let me know how it was.... Have a blast:high5:

Disdad13
10-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Along with asking for ketcup, tell your server you are very thirst and ask for a large drink! You should see the size of some of the drinks they bring out!:D

laprana
10-25-2007, 05:24 PM
We have eaten at WCC twice and loved it both times! The food was great (I highly recommend the cinammon tortilla dessert - wonderful!!) and the atmosphere is like nothing else I've ever experienced - even at 50's Prime Time! :D The second time we ate there, our waitress was kind of a dud...but we had a lot of fun watching the other servers "harass" their customers!

There was one who was an absolute riot! At one of her tables, one of the ladies told her secretly that it was her friend's b-day (the friend was in the dining party, too). So, the waitress made a big deal about it and the poor b-day girl was clearly embarassed...so the waitress started picking on the lady who spilled the beans! She told the lady that as her punishment for being a tattletale, she had to ride a stick pony around the dining room and sing Happy Birthday to her friend, which she did! Everyone was laughing so hard! :funny: But, the waitress wasn't done! She told the lady that she hadn't sung loud enough, and made her take the stick pony into the lobby of WL, and ride around the lobby singing Happy Birthday again. That poor lady was shouting the song at the top of her lungs! I had tears streaming down my face I was laughing so hard! :rotfl:

The first time we ate at WCC, our server was much, much better. It was really hot that day and my sister downed her iced tea in just a few minutes. Our waitress must have noticed, because when she came back to our table, she brought this HUGE gallon glass of iced tea and plopped it down in front of my sister! Then she pulled out this giant straw and a big metal spoon to go with the tea! My sister just looked at her and said, "Well, I think I'm going to need some more Splenda." Not missing a beat, the server walks into the back and comes out with a ginormous box of Splenda and sets it down in front of my sister. It was hilarious! We had no idea what we were getting into that first time, but now we want to go back every trip!

You'll have so much fun!! :mickey:

AbeeNormal
10-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Laprana, what a riot. I can't wiat to eat there it sounds like sooo much fun. :waycool:

I already promised I would ask for ketchup and I'll drink my drink as quickly as I can too. :dighole:

Thanks so much for the great review.:thumbsup:

LibertyTreeGal
10-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Well, all I can remember about the meal was the cinnamon tortilla witht he ice crea, caramel and bananas. UN BUH LIEVABLE!

But as far as funny goes. Well, it was the second week of Feb 2006, which means that everyone in the parks was wearing Steeler stuff. My server, Senior Dusty trails, was a Steelers fan, and so he came over to chat at some point. My father in law, who helped build the Oakland colliseum (yes, I have a mixed marriage, to my shame), asked for an iced tea, and Dusty, with mock impatience, told him that he was on a Union break. Well, once we stopped chatting, he left and came back with a gallon mason jar full of iced tea and a big bowl full of lemon slices. He cleared his throat and loudly announced,

"Attention everyone, as you can see, this man clearly has a drinking problem. If you see him get up to go to the bathroom, get out of his way!"

Well, Dad still laughs about that one.

Maleficent's Dad
10-26-2007, 09:10 AM
I've heard this place can be wacky and want to be somewhat prepared for what to expect.
If you really want a good server who "plays it up," make your intentions known when you check in at the podium.

We've eaten here dozens of times and really enjoy the place. The amount of interaction (aka PRANKS) really varies; it's completely dependent upon who your server is and whether or not they get into their roll.

We've had "over the top" CM's who have us hysterical and we've had some who think it's enough to just throw straws at you.

All in all, it's a fine place. Like most places in Disney, it's the CM's who make or break the 'experience!' :mickey:

Goes4FastPass
10-26-2007, 10:05 AM
We've had "over the top" CM's who have us hysterical and we've had some who think it's enough to just throw straws at you... :mickey:
This is very true. It shouldn't be encumbent on guests to 'explain' or 'request' server interaction.

The seating area fathest from the hostess desk seems to be unofficially the no-entertainment zone. We were seated there with elementary ages children and got virtually nothing except, exactly, straws thrown at us. We got much better interaction with the CM working at the Pin booth just over the rail from us.

And please don't tell me it's up to the guest to rev up the CM/server. We were 'up' fro a WK experience and drew a server who simply wasn't in the mood.

Tink#64
10-26-2007, 10:49 PM
This is very true. It shouldn't be encumbent on guests to 'explain' or 'request' server interaction.

The seating area fathest from the hostess desk seems to be unofficially the no-entertainment zone. We were seated there with elementary ages children and got virtually nothing except, exactly, straws thrown at us. We got much better interaction with the CM working at the Pin booth just over the rail from us.

And please don't tell me it's up to the guest to rev up the CM/server. We were 'up' fro a WK experience and drew a server who simply wasn't in the mood.

This was our experience exactly! We were seated closest to the kitchen door & got almost no interraction. We still had a great time watching everyone else, but I wish we'd have had a better CM for my DS's then 8 & 10. The food was great & more than we could eat. We would definitely go back again!

RobWreck
10-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Bear in mind that comedy improv (which is what the waitstaff really is doing) is hard, and if you can't get a feel for your table, it's better to play it safe than make a mistake and go too far with someone not in the mood. If the restaurant is very busy and/or their understaffed, I'd imagine that sometimes the jokes slow down a bit...
Rob

garymacd
10-27-2007, 12:06 PM
ask for ketchup.... i dare you.....

Yes, yes, do!!! He he, (insert evil laugh here):thedolls:

AbeeNormal
10-27-2007, 01:10 PM
IF I'VE SAID IT ONCE.... i'VE SAID IT A MILLION TIMES........

God I love you people:cloud9: